PDA

View Full Version : Any Billfish today East of Cape Moreton?

Midnight
30-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Gday,

Did anyone get a Billfish or any other species outside from Moreton today?

We trolled from 0500 until around 1130 from east of the Cape up to N.E Hutchies and back down S.E of the Cape as far as Henderson Rock and out along some current lines on the 80m line and didn't get a touch.

We marked heaps of bait and good fish N.E of Hutchies and down S.E of the Cape around the 40m, but couldnt get a bite.

A bit disappointing given the amount of bait around and the schools of little Mack Tuna, also marked some very good individual fish but all for 0,0,0!!

Hope someone else had better luck.

Cheers,

Myles

"Midnight" Bertram 25

mirage
30-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Dunno about Cape Moreton. We fished the Mooloolaba 18 Mile and 21 Mile grouns out to the Banks. Got one good 18Kg Wahoo but no billies to be seen.

Fished the Cape on the 26th and got nothing as well!

ShaneC
30-12-2008, 05:57 PM
We did ok today 5,2,2 north of Moreton. Congrats to Jason (Finnatical) who managed to pop his marlin cherry with a fiesty little bugger of about 40kg. All the action we found was in shallower water than I normally fish, but thats where the bait was!!!

Best thing was the boat was washed down and gear sorted by 1130, so managed to get a/c and arvo naps in to avoid the heat today..... was awesome!!!!

Fishbait
30-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Awesome goin' Shane. You should put up a post a some photos of your marlin you got today as well. Better luck next time Myles. Cheers, Darren.

ShaneC
30-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I will tomorrow mate, just got to learn how to resize them and pick the best shots. As a cameraman I am ordinary... got a lot of photos of splashes.

Midnight
30-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Gday,

Thanks for the replies fellas.
I was a bit frustrated at days end only due to the amount of bait we had seen and the individual fish that were marked but couldn't raise one.

I was tempted to head out to the 200m line due to a good temp break right on it on the Sea Surface temp chart, but couldn't bring myself to leave all the bait behind on the 40-50m grounds.

Anyway, thats why the call it "fishing", not "catching".

Cheers guys and all the best for the New Year.

Myles

3rd degree
30-12-2008, 09:10 PM
18 hours of trolling of Mooloolaba over 2 days for Tuna, Spanish and no billies.

Picked up a Snapp of Murpheys on the way back.

Plenty of bait but no billies.

Cheers

Jim

malolo
30-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi Guys

I was out at cape moreton this morning and didn't turn a reel. Awesome morning though. Went out wide without any luck!!!!

:(

Plumb-Ezy74
30-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi Myles my brother and i trolled on monday from the trench to hutchies and along the the 40-50m line SE of the cape and also found plenty of bait there and the trench and the only excitment in six hours was the short rigger and a lump of sea weed.We were towing aspread of five skirts in different colours and a teaser for no joy,great conditions though. Scott

mirage
31-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I've never seen so much bait as at the Trench a few days ago. It was everywhere and thick. Couldn't raise anything though. There were heaps of birds too but no fish were working on the surface. Not even any small Mack Tuna.
Maybe the problem is too much bait. All the billies are full!

Midnight
31-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Gday,

Yeah we had as good a spread of 5 skirts as I could set, had them all running to my liking and dragged them countless times of bait and big marked fish to no avail. Even a 7m diver minnow couldnt raise any interest.

Anyway it was better than sitting on the couch. Nice being on the Blue water all day.

Mirage may be right, they have all had their fill!

Lets hope they bite in the New Year.

Havagoodone!

Myles

skipalong
31-12-2008, 07:03 PM
heard of only a coulpe of loners around north trench

cheers justin

kokomo
01-01-2009, 06:08 PM
how did you guys go today??

620sf
01-01-2009, 06:19 PM
The Bom is too low. You'll find it hard to catch any good fish with the bom being soo low.

Luke

kokomo
01-01-2009, 06:31 PM
whats BOM>?

jeffo
01-01-2009, 06:58 PM
we have caught at least one Billfish every day since Christmas off M'ba. Most days only fishing til lunch time and getting 3 or 4 bites from bills in that time.

They are biting funny which i dont think is helping hook up ratios but they are deffinately there.

fly_1
01-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Fished yesterday with a few of the boys, went 4-2-1. All billies, tagged just the one black, saw a few fish, but missed ( read CHOKED !!!) on a few. Maybe two much of the amber stuff, and not enough time actually fishing. The fish are very timid with the bite at the moment, but are certainly there !!!! A long day livebaiting for only a few fish,but still a good day though.
Trent

finding_time
01-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Maybe two much of the amber stuff, and not enough time actually fishing.

Trent

Are you trying out Heath's technique?

iAN

fly_1
02-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Very good !! Yes, Longy and I gave it a go, but obviously more "training is required " as we missed a few sitters !!!. Anyway, I supose thats way its called fishing, not catching !!??, but still a great day was had by all..

Trent