PDA

View Full Version : Join the VMR.

Donny Boy
29-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Guys, Girls, ...................Join the VMR.

Out from Cabbage Tree Point with the wife yesterday, just up past the Powerlines in Browns Bay.

Somewhat of a maiden voyage after doing a lot to the boat.

Anchored up to throw some Burley in & have a cuppa, wondering what the poor people of the world were doing.............but not dwelling on it for too long !!
:D
Sat for maybe 5 minutes & checked the Sounder, noticed I'd just drifted back off the edge of the channel to about 2.2 m depth, instead of the 6m I was over.
Went to start up & move back over the edge of the channel............nothing.

Batteries flat..........no idea how or why..................but both batteries down.
Started & ran fine at, & from the ramp, was running the Sounder, GPS & AM Radio ( Cricket )
Tried 1, then 2, then both...........nuthin'....Only just trying to turn over.
:-/

All wiring is new, 4-5 weeks, & everything's been working fine................Yesterday had some static on the Radio from the Sounder & curiously the GPS keep dropping out & back to the East Coast area selection screen, ...........I put it down to a glitch somewhere, didn't need the GPS, shut it down.

Everything else was working fine......no warnings or indicators at all.

After playing around looking for a short, or a touching wire, or SOME bloody thing that might give at least a clue, got on the blower to the Jacobs Well VMR.

All OK, no problems, we'll just wet a line until they come past.

2 1/2 hours later, still all OK, the team turns up, Jump start, & we're running...
No fuss. no worries.
"Not a member mate ?........... Do you want to join up ?" " Bloody oath mate ! "

Gave me a bill for $ 275.00, :o made up of 1 hour from Jacobs Well to me, 1 hour back, total 2 hours @ $120 per hour, & $ 70 membership joining fee, less $ 35 discount for joining.

Now covered from the Border to Bribie, & was told if I go outside that area & need VMR ( not CG ) assistance, send the bill to Jacobs Well & they'll take care of it.
Expensive lesson to learn, left me wondering why, ( when I've been in RACQ Ultra care for 20 years ), why the hell didn't I join the VMR too?
:-[:-[
Can't speak highly enough of 'em, kept me informed by phone on what was happening, the ETA, were we still OK & so on.

Got us going, we went back to the ramp, loaded & gone...... Thanks guys!;D
It was as minor as it gets with us, but if it wasn't ?:-/

We should all get behind these Volunteer guys & girls people, & if you ain't a member now..............Join up.
If for no other reason than to maybe save yourself a lot of dough..............;)

garman1
29-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Easy to sit on the side of the road and simply wait for the racq..... but in a boat if your drifting or being dragged by the wind/tide now that is a different kettle of fish. I joined the vmr and considered it more important than being a racq member, I have only called on racq twice in 15 years of motoring, but I really needed them on those occassions. So being on the water, knowing the vmr are there brings great peace of mind.... joining should be compulsory or the call out fee should be able to be enforced, even if the bill could be paid off bit by bit.

Good to see you pay up as I know a lot of people buck at the cost, even though their lives may well have been saved............. to those who work tirelessly for US cheers and thankyou.

datamile
29-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Joining the local VMR is a no brainer.

Great if it saves you one day from a large bill, but far more importantly its a volunteer organisation giving everyone daily assistance, and occasionally risking their lives to save some poor or stupid sod

Scott nthQld
29-12-2008, 11:02 AM
I too learnt that lesson the hard way alomst exactly a year ago. For me though, the battery dumped a cell, and wouldn't even operate my radio, luckily I was still in close and had mobile reception, after a couple of runarounds with directory assistance I finally got through to Townsville Coastguard. I wasn't a member, but they gave me a choice, join up, or pay the tow fees, needless to say I'm now a member.

What really sucks though, is that because I have a yamaha four stroke I couldn't pull start with no power. Because they have an electric fuel pump, the engine needs at least 9v to pump fuel to turn over.

FNQCairns
29-12-2008, 12:34 PM
I too learnt that lesson the hard way alomst exactly a year ago. For me though, the battery dumped a cell, and wouldn't even operate my radio, luckily I was still in close and had mobile reception, after a couple of runarounds with directory assistance I finally got through to Townsville Coastguard. I wasn't a member, but they gave me a choice, join up, or pay the tow fees, needless to say I'm now a member.

What really sucks though, is that because I have a yamaha four stroke I couldn't pull start with no power. Because they have an electric fuel pump, the engine needs at least 9v to pump fuel to turn over.

Thats good information, that option these days simply is not there anymore with the 4s nor some of the Di 2 strokes either I understand, personally i think nothing can take the place of an auxiliary allround but to date on this boat I have yet to live up to fitting one.

cheers fnq

Jeremy
29-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah, this thread comes up every couple of months. Not sure why the VMR gets favourable treatment over the Coast Guard tho? Same service, just different uniform. I have been a member of Coastguard Caloundra since 2001.

Bloody shame3 the CG and VMR can't give reciprocal service, but we've been over that many times before too.

Jeremy

TheRealAndy
29-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah, this thread comes up every couple of months. Not sure why the VMR gets favourable treatment over the Coast Guard tho? Same service, just different uniform. I have been a member of Coastguard Caloundra since 2001.

Bloody shame3 the CG and VMR can't give reciprocal service, but we've been over that many times before too.

Jeremy

Our VMR (Brisbane) had to rescue redcliffe coastguard recently:oops:

trueblue
29-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Our VMR (Brisbane) had to rescue redcliffe coastguard recently:oops:

when was that and what happened? PM if you prefer...

cheers

Mick

Bros
29-12-2008, 05:06 PM
I wasn't a member, but they gave me a choice, join up, or pay the tow fees, needless to say I'm now a member.

You're lucky. If they continue doing that there is no point in anyone being a member.

If you can afford a boat you can afford to be a VMR/Coastguard member if not you can obviously afford the towing fees.

Bros
29-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Not sure why the VMR gets favourable treatment over the Coast Guard tho? Same service, just different uniform. I have been a member of Coastguard Caloundra since 2001.

They don't get more favourable treatment each orginisations recieves exactly the same pittance from the State Government annually.

Pity they didn't amalgamate but like all amalgamations someone at the top will lose their job be it paid or voluntary and no one will be the one to take a dive so you have two orginisations doing the same job..

stevelcqld
29-12-2008, 05:47 PM
any one got a like to a website?

Cheers,
Steve

datamile
29-12-2008, 07:28 PM
QMR queensland http://www.vmraq.org.au/

Donny Boy
30-12-2008, 08:45 AM
IMO it's a bloody disgrace that organisations like the VMR, CG & even the Surf Lifesavers have to virtually beg in the bloody streets to try to get enough money to survive.
In a state like QLD, where the weather & water is the big attraction, how is it that this goes on ???
:o

Every year I see a Telethon or an appeal for the RCH & such like, why can't something be organised for these guys ???
Why not backing by radio like the RCH appeal ???
During these appeals, things like all money taken in the Gateway Toll Booths for an entire day are donated....why not have that happen 3 more times a year and pass it on to these organisations ??
Why not another $2 per household on the rates, like the Ambulance levy ???
Christ, anything would be better than what they get, or manage to raise now.

This isn't unique to QLD, & I can't be the first bloke to have thought of it.

I know that it's us putting our hand in our pocket again, but I just can't get past the idea of
"OK, so what happens if there's no-one there when you need help ??"

:-/:( I would have thought the answer is "You're screwed !!"

Scott nthQld
30-12-2008, 09:21 AM
IMO it's a bloody disgrace that organisations like the VMR, CG & even the Surf Lifesavers have to virtually beg in the bloody streets to try to get enough money to survive.
In a state like QLD, where the weather & water is the big attraction, how is it that this goes on ???
:o

Every year I see a Telethon or an appeal for the RCH & such like, why can't something be organised for these guys ???
Why not backing by radio like the RCH appeal ???
During these appeals, things like all money taken in the Gateway Toll Booths for an entire day are donated....why not have that happen 3 more times a year and pass it on to these organisations ??
Why not another $2 per household on the rates, like the Ambulance levy ???
Christ, anything would be better than what they get, or manage to raise now.

This isn't unique to QLD, & I can't be the first bloke to have thought of it.

I know that it's us putting our hand in our pocket again, but I just can't get past the idea of
"OK, so what happens if there's no-one there when you need help ??"

:-/:( I would have thought the answer is "You're screwed !!"

Donny Boy, have to agree with you there, but lets not go the rates route, that will piss alot of people off that don't have a boat. They've just put our boat rego up, why not take the money they need from there, and in turn, every registered boat will be covered with VMR/Coastguard membership. Easy, we've already gotten used to the idea of paying more rego, so why not do something useful with it? These boat ramp and facility upgrades will only be a one off, after they're done why not give the money to the people who have our backs when we're in the briny.

Bros, couldn't agree more withyou, I was lucky I got the option, but upon paying my membership fees, I also left them a donation.

Donny Boy
30-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Yeah, the rates bit was to be spread over all the organisations, SLS included, not just us Boaties.

Most Eastern Seaboard people would use the water for something.

LostNearBribie
30-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Maybe they could do like what the Ambos have done and make membership compulsory.
So if you register a boat the VMR/CG/Whatever is included in the rego fee?
Our local VMR struggles to get enough people to sell raffle tickets most weeks.

tigermullet
30-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Please, let's not try to make joining VMR or CG compulsory or paying for it via registrations or taxation.

These are volunteer organisations and, let's face it, are more of a social club for their volunteers.

If they are to be properly funded then they will have to lift their game and become accountable. That will mean hiring professionals for everything because it will also mean liability, indemnity insurance etc., etc.

Then we would have to have strict licencing for radios because no professional would put up with the rubbish that passes for current volunteer procedures.

Their place as an amateur, volunteer organization is well established. They can't do too much harm and occasionally might do some good. Those who want to join, can and those who don't can blithely ignore their efforts and depend upon their own resources.

Boating should be a free and easy lifestyle without having to put up with more regulation, requirements and fees. There's enough people in uniform running around trying to police us already without adding another layer.

I should not be involved in this discussion because my New Year's resolution is the same as last - to be really, really nice to the water police, fisheries, marine parks and other assorted arseholes;D

Scott nthQld
30-12-2008, 11:15 AM
tm, I think you missed the point. My point is that they've already increased our boat rego, so why not use that money to fund the VMR and Coastguard. AS much of a social club you think they are, these people save lives, and deserve the same respect and equipment as any other emergency services personell.

They way I see it, it a win-win, we already pay a higher price for boat rego, the VMR/CG get more funding, everyone with a boat is covered, and the average tax payer doesn't have to fork out funding through the government for them. It'll basically be a user pays system and we'll be better for it.

tigermullet
30-12-2008, 12:33 PM
I see what you are getting at Scott but I think that if funded they would then be accountable and have to turn professional. That would throw many of the volunteers out unless they gained the proper qualifications. It might even end the 'volunteer' thing altogether.

As things are at the moment the user still pays, either by membership fees or other fees for service should the need arise. But that leaves others free to depend upon their own resources without subsidising people who choose to join or use the CG/VMR services.

I don't mind if they get some funding from the State on an ad hoc basis because it does keep the volunteers off the street (so to speak) but I don't want to be forced to pay or even to see part of my registration payment going to a club on a regular basis.

To my way of thinking it's almost the same as diverting tax payer's money to the local lawn bowls club or gardening group.

It's fine to have these clubs because the do fill a need for social contact etc., but they are not for everyone and certainly should not be paid for by everyone - or even just those who enjoy a specific activity.

Making all boaties pay up would be like asking all gardeners to kick in for the 'Outer Suburban Topiary Club for Demented Shrub Pruners Who Will Teach You How To Turn Any Plant Into an Emu Or Kangaroo Shape'. Or something like that.:P

PinHead
30-12-2008, 01:53 PM
TM..that would have to be the biggest piece of santimonious dribble I have heard for years. To take your idea one step further I do not need schools or hospitals as I do not need either of them but I do not mind my taxes paying for them..I also don't mind my taxes paying for the upkeep of beacons etc..I do mind my taxes being used and the Govt allocating moorings in waterways that are occupied by marine junk..a perfect example is the blight on the waterways which is between Horizon Shores and jacobs Well...every one of the boats is an absolute piece of junk and should be removed. Anyone that owns a vessel that requires it to be kept in the water should be housed in a private marina..pay full freight or piss off...those boats could be good arti reefs..how about the owner of the sunken one removes the bloody thing..another eyesore..where is the EPA when you need them. I doubt any of those boats would pass regualtions re toilets on board.

AND..the VMR should have full Govt funding.

tigermullet
30-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Wow! Talk about stirring up a hornet's nest.

I cannot class VMR/CG in the 'must have' things such as hospitals etc.

They might be nice to have (if you like them) but they are not a must have by any stretch of the imagination. Before the volunteer organisations existed or were as widespread as today the boating fraternity got along ok by being self reliant or helping each other out.

I know that doesn't help those who go out wide but they usually are members of the volunteer groups or have radios to call for assistance. Their choice.

Are beacons really necessary? They might be for visitors etc., but I'll bet they were first placed for use by commercial boats and the leisure boaties just happen to get the flow on benefit.

Some of those boats in the mooring are a bit different but they add to the colour of the place. I have been on board a couple of those boats and they were definitely not junk. Several cost a lot of money (one of them was bought for about $250,000) and are well equipped - with properly fitted toilets/holding tanks and/or on board sewage treatment systems.

Other boats down there are owned by persons who cannot afford or choose not to pay marina fees. Some are on the pension or down on their luck.

It's not just the wealthy who should be able to have the enjoyment of boating. I think that it is nice of Governments to set aside areas for mooring and it doesn't cost much for them to do it - just some paper work for allocation and drawing a few lines on a chart. It gives some of their staff a pleasant day out on the water now and then to drive around to check out whatever it is they are checking out. A small fee is charged of course. Anyway, if the moorings weren't there then people would, or might, choose just to anchor anywhere.

We'll have to agree to disagree because I don't even mind the sunken boat. I have been keeping a photographic record of its gradual demise just for interest's sake.

The stories behind some of those boats are interesting and knowing some of the 'residents' I can only wish them well and hope that their circumstances improve. Some, quite naturally, are happy with their lot and have come to love the freedom of life on the water. I cannot class them as an eyesore any more than I could class the less fortunate in our society as not being worthy of any consideration, sympathy or empathy.

I will admit to not having much respect for authority - volunteers are okay because they don't have the power to order around or stuff up your day but I would not like to be taking orders from yet another organisation. That's what worries me about turning a volunteer group into a fully funded organisation. Their concerns for safety just might become demands for compliance in all manner of boating operation - including being equipped with radios and the latest and greatest aids to navigation. Plus I cannot stand all that radio talk after beginning an almost life long association with communication by learning the phonetic alphabet that began, "Able, Baker, Charlie, Dog etc." It's just that I am tired of it and don't want to listen or comply anymore.

I'll remember the word 'sanctimonious' - it sounds great.;D

PinHead
30-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Wow! Talk about stirring up a hornet's nest.

They might be nice to have (if you like them) but they are not a must have by any stretch of the imagination. Before the volunteer organisations existed or were as widespread as today the boating fraternity got along ok by being self reliant or helping each other out.

I know that doesn't help those who go out wide but they usually are members of the volunteer groups or have radios to call for assistance. Their choice.

Are beacons really necessary? They might be for visitors etc., but I'll bet they were first placed for use by commercial boats and the leisure boaties just happen to get the flow on benefit.

Some of those boats in the mooring are a bit different they all look like crap but they add to the colour of the place. I have been on board a couple of those boats and they were definitely not junk. Several cost a lot of money (one of them was bought for about $250,000) I wouldn't give you 250k for the whole lot and are well equipped - with properly fitted toilets/holding tanks and/or on board sewage treatment systems.

Other boats down there are owned by persons who cannot afford or choose not to pay marina fees. Some are on the pension or down on their luck. If they are that poor then sell the boat..not interested in hard luck stories..if they can afford the boat then put it somewhere out of the way..a marina

It's not just the wealthy who should be able to have the enjoyment of boating. I think that it is nice of Governments to set aside areas for mooring and it doesn't cost much for them to do it - just some paper work for allocation and drawing a few lines on a chart. It gives some of their staff a pleasant day out on the water now and then to drive around to check out whatever it is they are checking out. A small fee is charged of course. Anyway, if the moorings weren't there then people would, or might, choose just to anchor anywhere.

We'll have to agree to disagree because I don't even mind the sunken boat. I have been keeping a photographic record of its gradual demise just for interest's sake.

The stories behind some of those boats are interesting and knowing some of the 'residents' I can only wish them well and hope that their circumstances improve. I hope it improves for them also..so they can move their heaps of junk elsewhere. Some, quite naturally, are happy with their lot and have come to love the freedom of life on the water. I cannot class them as an eyesore any more than I could class the less fortunate in our society as not being worthy of any consideration, sympathy or empathy.

I will admit to not having much respect for authority - volunteers are okay because they don't have the power to order around or stuff up your day but I would not like to be taking orders from yet another organisation. That's what worries me about turning a volunteer group into a fully funded organisation. Their concerns for safety just might become demands for compliance in all manner of boating operation - including being equipped with radios and the latest and greatest aids to navigation. Plus I cannot stand all that radio talk after beginning an almost life long association with communication by learning the phonetic alphabet that began, "Able, Baker, Charlie, Dog etc." It's just that I am tired of it and don't want to listen or comply anymore.

I'll remember the word 'sanctimonious' - it sounds great.;D

we will definitely disagree on that ..let's just hope you never need assistance so we can make sure you never get any.
I notice you never show a pic of your boat or is it a complete eyesore also.

tigermullet
30-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Nope - I just want to remain anonymous. The reason for that is that most people I know don't like me.

If I remain anonymous there's an outside chance that I can keep up the illusion that there might be some one out there who could like me.

That's not a 'cry for help' as some new age persons would put it. It's just a fact and I am quite comfortable with it. Occasionally there are lapses into fantasy but they are recognised as such - I think even my mother had trouble in liking me.

Without going into too much introspection, not being liked, might be the cause of feeling empathy for those who would be brushed aside by some unless they are wealthy. The amount of money or status a person has is just not important to me.

You might have 'nailed' it - being sanctimonious could be the source of the problem. I just thought that it came from being a total arsehole. That's how others without your command of the language have described me.

Now I'll be able to reply, "No, no, you've got it all wrong - I'm a sanctimonious son of a bitch".;D

Bros
30-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Nope - I just want to remain anonymous. The reason for that is that most people I know don't like me.

I wonder why!!

I just thought that it came from being a total arsehole. That's how others without your command of the language have described me.

Well you said it seems as if you know yourself and it doesn't need adding to

wacky1
30-12-2008, 06:04 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mik01
30-12-2008, 07:01 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

if ya got nothing viable to add then best zzzzip your reply!

you don't earn any respect by intruding on a thread with that rubbish - and if you don't want to earn any, then best move along hey?

IMHO - those boats are an eyesore, and they think they now 'own' that area - if the rude gestures from them are anything to go by when we passed them, at cruising speed.

TM - a 'social club' is a fishing club, girl scouts, embroidery club etc etc.
The VMR or CG, who exist only to save lives, deserve much more respect than you have afforded them.

The day you go down, and call mayday, who do you think is gonna come get you? I hope for your sake it doesn't, but if it does, that 'social club' of 'amateurs' will save your sorry arse quicker than you will engineer your way out of it.

if you don't like authority - good for you, but its a bit rude and selfish to belittle an organisation that exists on a pittance, with volunteers who give up their PRIVATE time they could be spending with their families - to save all of us - even people with your attitude!

sure they do the day to day 'menial' tasks of bringing in boaties with flat batteries, however they exist to help other mariners who are in trouble.
I can't think of a more worthy cause to deserve full govt funding, whether by existing or new taxes in the form of a levy on registration fees.

unlike the ambulance levy that covers every hospital trip (even free rides to the shops for some!), perhaps the compulsory charge would only cover a mayday call and not 'day to day' racq type breakdowns?

tigermullet
30-12-2008, 07:30 PM
That's a pretty good compromise Mik - a compulsory charge to cover a mayday call (I hope the charge would not extend to those who do not carry radios)

I don't think I'll need saving and will depend upon my own resources to get out of any trouble. That's highly unlikely because I have given away anything but smooth water operation due to age. Anyway, it is possible to swim or even walk out of trouble at the Pin. It's an attitude held for years and, naturally, I have experienced some bad moments. Same as all of us.

Perhaps I have been too harsh but bear in mind that I have no argument with VMR/CG remaining a volunteer organisation. If people want to muck about with boats and radios and do good deeds that is fine with me. Just as long as I am not forced to support them - or carry a radio or be obsessed with safety. My main purpose for being on the water is to enjoy some freedom from excessive regulation. The first consideration on boarding the boat is to ensure that adequate supplies of beer, coffee and tobacco have been packed. Worrying about safety or whether the radio or other gear is working is way down on the list.

The boats are an 'eyesore' to some and the love of their lives to owners. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all. What's wrong with being a bit down on luck or dollars? Is it so offensive?

I didn't realise that was you to whom I gave the finger. Sorry;D

Donny Boy
30-12-2008, 08:25 PM
[quote=tigermullet;946751]

They might be nice to have (if you like them) but they are not a must have by any stretch of the imagination.
Before the volunteer organisations existed or were as widespread as today, the boating fraternity got along ok, by being self reliant or helping each other out.

I'll apologise in advance for fragmenting your post TM, and I do basically (?) see where you're coming from, but I just have to ask a couple of questions....

If these groups / organisations are not a "must have", then, just like the line in the movie, "Who ya gunna call ?"

Yes, they were "nice to have",( If only for a battery that dropped a cell ), but the comfort that gave my wife, on her "Maiden Voyage" was alone worth the money we eventually paid, and the knowledge she has, that if it happens again, to me , ( or to anyone that, at that time, has the misfortune to be with me ) there's someone out there who gives a rats, and will respond to a call for assistance.

We signalled ( Waved, Flashed a Torch ) to five ( 5 ) other vessels in the area / passing in the Channel, to ask them for a tow or a jump start .............nothing.............not even a wave.......sorry.....think I got a finger.....

Sort of puts a dent in my belief, of the boating fraternity " Helping each other out " ........... ...............maybe it was a bad day for Good Samaritains.

Then again, society attitudes & values these days have changed a lot since I was younger.

But I digress.........................

This thread was to put my 2 cents worth ( now rounded up to 5 cents ) about joining the VMR ( or CG, as the case may be, no favoritism here) and then later, possibly some constructive ways that I, as an interested party (despised or otherwise) might suggest fund raising ideas for these groups.

The very thought of being totally self reliant in a potentially crisis situation in the briny.......sorry, don't wanna go there, rather be in twice as much trouble on land, 'cause at least i can walk/ run to safety.

As someone much wiser than I said, ( garmin 1 ).....
" bit different to sitting in your car at the side of the road "

;)

PS.
Seeing as I started all this bru-ha-ha, I just thought I'd try to get
"back on track"

tigermullet
30-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks Don, you have been very kind.

Who am I going to call? No one.

But that's my choice and I do not have any argument with people joining or being part of VMR/CG as long as that choice is not forced upon me.

I have never gone past anyone in need of assistance. Not once, ever. It's a very poor show that others will ignore some one in distress or in need of any help at all.

That observation might be the flaw in my argument - it is all too common today to look after number one and to hell with everybody else. Therefore it is quite ok with me if there is choice to join or not.

Actually, I'd rather be sitting in a broken down boat rather than a broken down car on the side of the road. It's less dangerous.

My attitude also has a element of selfishness. If VMR did not exist then many would not dare take the chance of boating and getting into some sort of strife. Or their wives or family would stop them. The waterways would be quieter. More fish and peace for me.

The concern with safety has become almost an obsession with some and with some authorities. During my younger years no one cared if we went off fishing (even from the Cape) without notifying a time of return or carrying anything at all by way of safety gear.

Younger still, some of us would go fishing by walking the beach on school holidays with an expectation that we would return in about a week. No one seemed to worry and the sense of freedom was absolute. Still, society was different then and the threat of assault, kidnapping or whatever just didn't seem to exist.

Certainly, there were other risks - stingers, drowning, snakes etc., but everybody just accepted that as a normal part of life. It's not very dangerous anyway and we learned from any early age to either avoid those risks or cope with the consequences. Very little happened apart from a few scrapes and bruises or having to live for a couple of days on Eugarees.

I don't know what VMR/CG can do about raising funds. This economic downturn might cut some of the flow of funds from business. Anna Bligh might come to the rescue with a dollar or two but the budget looks like doing a New South Wales on us.

We (or more correctly, members of VMR) will just have to cope.

Being absolutely safe might provide some comfort but takes away the spice of life.

Please don't get the idea that I am a mad adventurer - to me, boating is a very safe and enjoyable past time. I don't do bungee jumping, parachuting or mountain climbing. That would scare the hell out of me.

trueblue
30-12-2008, 09:04 PM
These are volunteer organisations and, let's face it, are more of a social club for their volunteers.

If they are to be properly funded then they will have to lift their game and become accountable. That will mean hiring professionals for everything because it will also mean liability, indemnity insurance etc., etc.

I have never heard of a social club that has a competency based training regime that is more advanced that what most employers have.

What makes you think that the VMR's and Coast Guards don't address liability issues and have appropriate insurance and work cover?

you have excelled yourself this time Mullet

mik01
30-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Don - sad to hear that no one stopped to help. couple of days ago, I stopped to check out a bloke lying face down on a bike path who wasn't moving ( on Rickertts Rd).

heaps of people drove by without stopping, except me and 3 other blokes - who knows how long he lay there? turns out the bloke was unconscious and in a bit of trouble. As i am trained in senior first aid, you are taught that you 'must' always stop and help if you think someone is in trouble - its your duty as you are trained to deal with emergency medical situations as a first response (before ambos of course).

thankfully, this bloke got immediate help, and most importantly emotional support when he really needed it.

its something I thought tied all boaties together on the water - to look after each other as a first instinct. maybe once upon a time hey? I thought all boaties 'must' assist others where they are clearly needing assistance (ie shouting and waving).

sadly, joining the VMR is a necessity as you just can't rely on anyone else to help when you need it - as Don has learnt.

Don - did you have a v sheet? you could have hoisted this over the side to attract attention and signal you need assistance. I would have stopped to assist - same as on land.

ps - I hope the bloke on Rickertts Rd ended up ok - left once the ambos showed up as the Bub was screaming in the car and he was in good hands.

tigermullet
30-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi Trueblue, That bit about insurance was badly expressed. What I meant was that if joining VMR/CG was mandatory volunteer members could be held personally liable for their action or inaction. Far better for the organisations to remain on a volunteer basis and be covered by the Good Samaritan laws. If volunteer members were not covered then they would leave in droves.

I cannot comment on what employers might decide is acceptable, competency based training. The standards that some might be prepared to accept could be very low.

Why can't the situation remain the same as it is today - all care but no responsibility? There's nothing wrong with that.

The only argument that I have is a perceived push to make joining compulsory and that alternative views are not very welcome.

oldboot
30-12-2008, 11:14 PM
I am always interested when people have the view that getting into a boat allows them to escape from regulation......these are the same idiots who think rules of the sea do not apply to them and matters of common social expectations do not apply to them when on their boat.... these people are ignorant antisocial and very much deluded.

There are a great many out there who consider supplies of alcahol more important than safety gear.......the coastal rescue organisations drag these idiots sorry a@$#s out of the sea on a regular basis.

It is worthwhile noting that there is a greater degree of responsibility under law associated and a greater financial consiquence with operating a water craft than driving a car.

On the matters of responsibility of costal rescue volunteers.........they already have a great deal of legal obligations and restrictions, in fact there are many ways they would be better off as professionals.

If you think these guys are just playing arround with boats you are very much mistaken......all the members of these coastal rescue organisations are required to undergo training on a constant basis. They have to undergo the same training of crew of similar size commercial boats however because of their status they have difficulty gianing the full commercial qualifications they have trained for.

as for what they do.
who deos the ambulance transfers from the bay islands....... the coastal rescue services...VMR raby bay has a fully equiped and crewed medical evaculatiuon craft that is used almost daily.

who picks up dead bodies out of the bay....sometimes it is the police but quite often it is the coastal rescue organisations.

If someone needs their sorry @R$& dragged out of the bay at an ungodly hour......who is going to do it........you better hope it isnt the police, they will probly charge you under the general safety obligation just for the inconvienience of interupting their paperwork.........it will most likly be those guys that play with boats down at the VMR who have got out of bed or taken time off their job to do so.

as for what happened before they were arround........boats were lost and people drowned.......any search and rescue operation was dependent on the small resources of the police and private individuals who went out of their own accord with no rescue training or equipment and no central coordination or radio bases.

sure there is some social activity in the coastal rescue organisations otherwise no one would do the job.

Like the ambulance and the fire brigade and the lifesavers, at some time it will be necessary to have some professional component to the coastal rescue service.

As far as membership.......if you own any sort of boat that is more than a blow up lielow and goes in the salt... you have rocks in your head if you aren't a paid up member.

cheers

wacky1
31-12-2008, 02:57 AM
if ya got nothing viable to add then best zzzzip your reply!

you don't earn any respect by intruding on a thread with that rubbish - and if you don't want to earn any, then best move along hey?

IMHO - those boats are an eyesore, and they think they now 'own' that area - if the rude gestures from them are anything to go by when we passed them, at cruising speed.

TM - a 'social club' is a fishing club, girl scouts, embroidery club etc etc.
The VMR or CG, who exist only to save lives, deserve much more respect than you have afforded them.

The day you go down, and call mayday, who do you think is gonna come get you? I hope for your sake it doesn't, but if it does, that 'social club' of 'amateurs' will save your sorry arse quicker than you will engineer your way out of it.

if you don't like authority - good for you, but its a bit rude and selfish to belittle an organisation that exists on a pittance, with volunteers who give up their PRIVATE time they could be spending with their families - to save all of us - even people with your attitude!

sure they do the day to day 'menial' tasks of bringing in boaties with flat batteries, however they exist to help other mariners who are in trouble.
I can't think of a more worthy cause to deserve full govt funding, whether by existing or new taxes in the form of a levy on registration fees.

unlike the ambulance levy that covers every hospital trip (even free rides to the shops for some!), perhaps the compulsory charge would only cover a mayday call and not 'day to day' racq type breakdowns?

mik, i can absolutely asure you i do not need your respect or do i intend to do anything to earn it from someone with a condescending attitude like yours and some others that have posted in this thread . i suggest you keep your comments to yourself.

Donny Boy
31-12-2008, 06:30 AM
[quote=mik01]

- sad to hear that no one stopped to help.
Don - did you have a v sheet? you could have hoisted this over the side to attract attention and signal you need assistance.

Yes mate, did have a V sheet and all other safety equip on board.
On reflection, I say I didn't push the issue and make major efforts to attract their attention, more like " Oi,....... mate !!" *waving*As I mentioned earlier, it wasn't a major issue, and for all I knew, it might've started again next try. Couldn't see why it'd just conk like it did.

The Jacobs Well VMR were contacted after these attempts had failed, maybe 1/2 hour later.

Footnote...
Since found out a 6 month old battery dropped a cell. Hoo-bloody-ray !

tigermullet
31-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Oldboot, there is a vast difference between having adequate supplies of alcohol on board and irresponsible use.

No one expects to escape all regulation but do we need yet another layer?

I cannot understand why boating is considered to be such a dangerous activity. The reverse is true. Boating is far safer than driving a vehicle or being involved in the construction industry.

To avoid unwelcome attention by authorities my boat is fully equipped with safety gear which is more than adequate for the area of operation. It's looked after too with great attention paid to the small print on life jackets and they are stowed out of harms way, in case they should be inadvertently marked, scraped or damaged. I wouldn't want the ASA label defaced because that is so important.

The boat is also up to standard with the regulations and well maintained.

What can go wrong? Very little - at least that has been my experience. Decades on the water and only the odd scary moments which were so minor that it is difficult to recall if any alarm was felt. The only thing that got my heart rate up was an encounter with a large and nasty shark whilst in a small boat. But that was just bad luck - being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Not wanting to be part of VMR does not necessarily make me a bad or irresponsible person. At least I hope not because my delicate sensibilities could be bruised.

As a 'kiss and make-up' I hope all Ausfishers have a lovely New Year;D

mik01
31-12-2008, 07:53 AM
mik, i can absolutely asure you i do not need your respect or do i intend to do anything to earn it from someone with a condescending attitude like yours and some others that have posted in this thread . i suggest you keep your comments to yourself.

captain obvious! ::)

suggest you take your own advice on keeping comments to yourself - what point did your 'comment' serve anyone?

wait - don't answer that - I don't care. :P

TM - it wasn't your opposition to joining the VMR, nor the opposition to the proposal for a mandatory fee to cover their operations that got me involved in this thread - it was your comments around their level of professionalism and daily activities.

that said - I take your point of view on board about increased regulation being forced on us. I get up in arms about these things also.

I have absolutely no dramas in spending my own money on vmr membership - but I get annoyed when I see they have to have sausage sizzles, raffles and the like to keep their 'heads above water' with such an important community service.

kind of like the westpac rescue chopper - without westpac or some other generous business support, it wouldn't fly and someone is bound to die as a result.

I'm pulling my weight by being a member, so they can rescue non members, some of whom do not pay up when the bill arrives. what happens when those people who are 'down on their luck' living on their boats has some medical issue and needs urgent assistance? the vmr or CG will arrive & transport them even though its very possible that they would not be able to afford to pay the bill.

thats the attitude that many despise in boating (and across society) - "i'm not contributing, because if I get into trouble the govt or others will cover me"
not denouncing your point of view - its valid, yet others in the community leech off others and sometimes increased regulation is necessary to ensure vital community facilities exist.

happy new year to you!

tigermullet
31-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Hi Mik

"I'm pulling my weight by being a member, so they can rescue non members, some of whom do not pay up when the bill arrives. What happens when those people who are 'down on their luck' living on their boats has some medical issue and needs urgent assistance? The vmr or CG will arrive & transport them even though its very possible that they would not be able to afford to pay the bill"

A very valid point! For some reason I had not thought about those down on their luck who might need help in a medical emergency.

For that reason alone I will make a donation to VMR.

Thanks to you my view has just undergone a change for the better.

Regards,

TM

TheRealAndy
31-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Wow, so much anger. Though I might sway things a different way. Take a look here: http://www.syc.org.au/AboutSYC/tabid/57/Default.aspx read the first paragraph.

It’s a bit of history about Sandgate Yacht Club. I am heavily involved in both SYC and VMR. SYC was formed in 1912 purely for boating safety. Whilst there has been some name changes over the years it is undoubtedly the oldest rescue organisation in Queensland. The main reason SYC demerged in 1987 was so they could change the name to receive government funding. For those of you who thing VMR's do not get government funding then you are wrong. It’s a lot more substantial than you think, however it still does not fully cover operational expenses if you need to replace boats/motors etc. We are lucky at VMR Brisbane in the fact that we have mobile phone tower in the hardstand that generates a significant amount of revenue, still not enough but it helps. I believe the president of VMR Brisbane is also about to secure some corporate which will take the burden of the club when it comes to raising funds.

Now those of you who also think these are amateur operations run by volunteers you are so far from the truth it is not funny. These people are trained in all aspects of marine rescue. I know for a fact that VMR Brisbane often undertakes training with Queensland Police, not to mention the endless amount of in-house training the volunteers have to do before they are certified to perform rescues. They certainly do not run like a 'social club' and there are policies and procedures in place just like any other professional organisation. TO be brutally honest I personally think VMR Brisbane is more qualified on the water than Queensland Police.

I can also vouch for the quality of the VMR rescue service, as I have called on the many times to provide assistance in yacht races. Just recently I called on them to assist in a rescue of some naval cadets who had their own navy rescue boat.

These "amateur volunteers" do a bloody great job and should be applauded for their efforts. To say they are anything less than professional is just showing ignorance. Next time you need to be rescued as you are getting swept out to the open ocean you will be grateful for the service. Shame it takes an unfortunate event for some people to realise this.