PDA

View Full Version : spinner for Barra?

darylive
27-12-2008, 09:25 PM
I am looking for a new spinning reel for Barra to flog frogs, pelt plastics etc.8-)

Who has what, why, how good is it and what did it cost? :-/

I am thinking in the 3000 range for a bit of grunt, the 4000 look too bulky for my liking.

darylive
28-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Now I know we did this exercise in June and there was significant input. Quite a few punters bought spinners.

Now it is time to revisit this with some feedback. ::)

As spinners are now more popular and a few are using them lets hear what the verdict is now.

Most importantly as I have
GIFT CARDS burning a hole in my pocket!!! :o

Whitto
28-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I hear what you are saying Daryl...I was a bit reluctant to reply about my Barra spin outfit.....am using a Egrell Spin for Barra 6 foot in length coupled with a Team Daiwa Advantage 4000...it is nicely balanced and feels good in the hand.......Mate if u already have a rod take it with u connect a few different reels and see how they feel......Also a size 3000 type spin reel will proberbly do the job.......The advise given to me by those who are in the know was a 4000 reel......good luck Daryl c u at Borumba...Whitto

BR65
28-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Sorry Darryl, I was standing back waiting for all the certate combos to be posted up!
I've got a Caldia Kix, 3000 size, with 20 daiwa sensor braid, but Im going to up that to 30. Currently hanging off a Berkley 6'6" spin stick, but Im looking around for a rod up-grade. Something a smidge longer, with a bit more response in the tip section.
That little Daiwa reel knocked over a 101 a couple of weeks ago, smooth as a babies bottom.

cheers
brian

Lovey80
29-12-2008, 05:14 AM
Theres a nice Daiwa Sol in the forsale section that would do just nicely i recon!

Cheers

Chris

BR65
29-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Yeah I saw that Chris, nice reel.

t4topcat
29-12-2008, 06:45 PM
G'day,

just ordered an Abu Garcia 806 Cardinal (getting in before the price rises in the new year - $153.00) with this situation in mind, I have an 804 in the same model and am very impressed.

phatty
29-12-2008, 10:13 PM
sol 3000.

you wont be disappointed!

darylive
02-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Well I bite the lure as we might say, :-/
well no one really says that but it seams more appropriate than bit the bullet.:D

Team Daiwa Tierra 4000 matched to the Tierra 7' medium heavy 8-17lb rod. The more you look the more there is. It was a toss between this and the equivalent in Shimano. As stated I had B<F gift cards so that's where I went.

The Rod is on sale with a member discount. ;D

It is yet to be tested but seems to be the goods without spending a fortune. Digigear, Airbail, line twist reduction, 7 Balls, spare spool and washable! They say tighten the bail and wash it if you for what ever reason were in the salt. It has holes to drain which has always been a concern with spinners.

The rod is 7' light / med with a sensitive tip but offered real resistance. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

So we will see and the whole outfit came in under $400 8-)

What do they pay for a carotcake reel? :-X

Daryl

diabolical
02-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Good one Daryl. I got a light/medium Tierra outfit(last of the cork handles) 6-14lb /2500 reel. A great value setup I got for kayak work. The rod was what put it over the line compared to the Shimano equivalent Raider rod and Stradic reel.

darylive
02-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Good one Daryl. I got a light/medium Tierra outfit(last of the cork handles) 6-14lb /2500 reel. A great value setup I got for kayak work. The rod was what put it over the line compared to the Shimano equivalent Raider rod and Stradic reel.

Dio.....

Yes mate I had the Stradic in hand and the Sales bloke in tow when I found the rod. We looked at each other and returned to the reel cabinet to get the Daiwa reel. The ergonomic grip will be interesting to see if it is as good as claimed.

Thanks for the feedback

NAGG
02-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I would have said Certate or one of the super duper versions ....... specially if you intend to use it as a primary outfit

Chris

darylive
03-01-2009, 11:43 AM
It's all a question of money Chris,'this 'ill do till i get one' as they say mate.

I still have an enormous mortgage having had to buy my house twice!
:-* *%#$@!!:rifle:

The reality is I am still pretty keen on my bait casters.

Thanks

NAGG
03-01-2009, 12:41 PM
It's all a question of money Chris,'this 'ill do till i get one' as they say mate.

I still have an enormous mortgage having had to buy my house twice!
:-* *%#$@!!:rifle:

The reality is I am still pretty keen on my bait casters.

Thanks

Ouch! ..... I gave mine away :-[

Hey ..... The reel will do the job - no doubt!
I'm with you on the baitcasters ....... I have a Certate 3000 & I've only used it a couple of times for barra - Except for being ideal for frogs (speed) I dont feel it offers any significant advantage over my Steez (light lures) or zillions - A baitcaster just feels right

Chris

Jeremy87
03-01-2009, 07:55 PM
I have a 4000 stella :thumbup: . Casts well light and well built. I've used it for alot of bluewater work aswell as a bit of barra work up at darwin. haven't really tested it on any big barra but stopped a mid 70's fish dead in its tracks. drag is silky at pressures over 5kg. Would be my recomendation or something in the 3000 size in the upper end of the daiwa range.