PDA

View Full Version : Close call with grey suit

Just_chips
27-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Today a couple of kayakers off sydney got menaced by a Great White whilst fishing long reef. They are members of an australian kayak fishing forum and they have posted their story on that site, i tried to post a link but it wouldn't let me. I'm sure some of you may have seen it on the news by now and it won't be long before the vid hits youtube.

Brown jocks material.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/5234397/shark-menaces-kayakers-off-sydney/

Kev

Tangles
27-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Good material for a solo man ad?

I understand why people want to paddle kayaks around in dams and waterways etc, all good healthy fun and probably one of the best ways to do it, but offshore on reefs?, ill leave it thanks, its a bit like snow skis on Mt Everest.

Angla
27-12-2008, 11:22 PM
And then one falls in the water for a minute. Talk about shark attractant.............

Channel 7 ran it.

Chris

Vindicator
28-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Yeah bugger that, they can keep that to themselves. The bloody noah was bigger than their yaks. Could have swallowed them whole while they sit there!

Cheers
Kezza

Chimo
28-12-2008, 07:34 AM
So did SBS but 7 had better footage.

Fishing in shark prone waters in a yak is like driving an F250 on thin ice over the Niagra Falls, eventually your going thru the ice and if that doesn't get you the fall surely will! :P

If lifes that boring why not just close your eyes and walk onto a busy road?:-*

Good luck for a happy new year.!

Cheers
Chimo (GOM)

Just_chips
28-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Copy and paste the following link into your browser and remove the spaces from between the first 4 letters.

a k f f .net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22720

This will give you a link to a first hand account of one of the kayakers involved in yesterdays drama.

Long reef off Sydneys Northern Beaches is a short paddle off shore (only about 1 kilometre) It has been fishing extremely well for the last week or so with regular reports of good Kingfish coming through daily. Obivously the abundant supply of quality kingies has atracted more than just the fishermen.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24848858-5001021,00.html This link contains a news story with a small amount of the video footage shot on the day.

Kev

Just_chips
28-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Channel 7 nowhas footage on the yahoo 7 homepage.

http://au.yahoo.com/

disorderly
28-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Bloody wimps...

I was waiting for one of them to put a livie out.....
Now then it would be a story....;);D

Dunks
31-12-2008, 04:44 AM
If lifes that boring why not just close your eyes and walk onto a busy road?:-*

Cheers
Chimo (GOM)

More people get killed in boats than they do in kayaks every year.

This whole thing has been blown out of proportion by the video footage the professional fisherman released to the media. Noticed how they didn't get the yakkers onto their boat? That's because they wanted money to rescue them. I don't recall them saying that on their Sunrise interview with Kochie. Another boat came to their aide.

Shark attacks are less common than road fatalities so we all take more risk in getting to the launching spot than being out on the water.

therapy
31-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Shark attacks are less common than road fatalities so we all take more risk in getting to the launching spot than being out on the water.

I think the difference between a shark attack on a kayak and a road accident would be that in a road accident you are at the mercy of other people's errors in judgement and or stupidity. If you are offshore in a yak and a 5 metre shark decides to check you out there's only one person to blame for being in that position. I don't wish the worst on anybody but you wouldn't find me out there on a yak. No doubt this is an isolated incident and good luck to anyone brave enough to go offshore yakking.
Cheers........Terry............

JRJR
01-01-2009, 07:15 AM
Good material for a solo man ad?

I understand why people want to paddle kayaks around in dams and waterways etc, all good healthy fun and probably one of the best ways to do it, but offshore on reefs?, ill leave it thanks, its a bit like snow skis on Mt Everest.

I'd be willing to give Mount Everest a go also!

Chimo
01-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Hi Wayne

Happy 2009 to you.

Re Yaks offshore, if your convinced by the argument you put and have no depandants then go for it.

Cheers
Chimo (GOM and less secure in my imortality than I used to be)

PinHead
07-01-2009, 05:13 PM
bloody hell..the shark was just cruising around..it was not interested in them as food. I have been out on surfboards in my younger days with sharks swimming around...just stay still and they soon disappear..however..a bloke I know did have his leg bitten off by a munchie at Stradbroke many moons back but that did not stop any of us surfing there.

Duane Walker
08-01-2009, 06:31 AM
So Chimo and Therapy because kayaking offshore may be dangerous we are irresponsible and shouldnt do it

Where would Australia be if the 1st settlers had that attitude?

kokomo
08-01-2009, 06:43 AM
this shark did not do anything to them. it just cruised around and checked them out...
lucky yes...
irresponsible ... no

the chances of death in a yack is very very very low... its just poor education the leads people to think this is dangerous

bayfisher
08-01-2009, 08:23 AM
this shark did not do anything to them. it just cruised around and checked them out...
lucky yes...
irresponsible ... no

the chances of death in a yack is very very very low... its just poor education the leads people to think this is dangerous

I believe it actually tipped on of the kayakers into the water, have a read of the report on the Australian kayak fishing forum.

Don't get me wrong though i don't think they were irresponsible just very very lucky ;D

Cheers Chris

Chimo
08-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Hey Guys

If you want to do it in kayaks then go for it, dont worry about what I think. And Pinhead said its perfectly safe so definitely jobs right. Just maybe dont hang body parts over the side?

Cheers
Chimo

therapy
08-01-2009, 11:50 PM
So Chimo and Therapy because kayaking offshore may be dangerous we are irresponsible and shouldnt do it

Where would Australia be if the 1st settlers had that attitude?

No Duane, if I thought yakking offshore was irresponsible, I would have said "yakking offshore is irresponsible". Spending more than you earn is irresponsible. Unprotected sex with a Bangkok hooker is irresponsible. I just pointed out the difference between road fatalities and shark attacks. I swim in the surf and if I get bit then it's my bad luck because I know they are there. I believe in people making their own choices,so if you yak offshore, go ahead and all the best. Looks like a productive way to fish and exercise to boot.
As for the early settler reference, I thought Australia was built on the back of the sheep, not the yak!;)
Cheer.......Terry..............