PDA

View Full Version : 2-piece barra baitcaster

ian.young
27-12-2008, 06:20 PM
I was after some recommendations for a 2-piece barra baitcaster, to match a calcutta 400 and 30lb braid. I've already got a nice outfit for lightish lures (flatz rats and the like), so I'm after something reasonably solid as my heavy outfit. Main use would be Cape York barra casting, a bit of live baiting and trolling around river mouths. Would prefer 6-foot or shorter, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Seasons greetings
Ian

Murph77
28-12-2008, 09:18 PM
G'day Ian,

Any specific reason why you want to have a two piece? If it is for ease of travel (eg backpack, pushbike etc) then that is fair enough but in all cases a one piece will be stronger and perform / feel better I reckon.

As for the rods, I use either a 6-10kg Shimano T-Curve (6ft1") or a 10-12kg G Loomis IMX (6ft6") using a Calcutta 200B but they would probably be suitable with the 400 as well. I have successfully used both of these outfits chasing barra up north and in the impoundments (yet to get a real horse though).

Hope this helps mate
Murph

ian.young
28-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Gday Murph

Yeah, ease of travel. I'm based in Hong Kong these days and nearly all my fishing involves lugging a 7ft PVC tube around airports and trying to fit them into taxis. Getting pretty sick of that. Also, a 3ft6 rod tube weighs a couple of kilos less, so more room for lures on small planes with weight limits! I make at least one trip to Cape York every year. Was considering a Nitro but the ones in heavier line classes are a bit long at 6ft 6.

Cheers Ian

Jonli
29-12-2008, 03:03 AM
Get MajorCraft Beneyro in BNC682H , BNC702H or even BNC702X , check this :
http://www.majorcraft.co.jp/ in the Bass rod section .

Myself own BNC682MH and BNC682H mated with 101DC n 201DC respectively .

Jon .

ian.young
29-12-2008, 03:36 AM
Gday Jon

Thanks. I was actually looking at a beneyro 652mh the other day...very nice rods, but felt a bit too long. I could be wrong though, just more used to Qld style barra rods about 5ft6 to 6ft. I notice that barra rods seem to be getting longer, so maybe i should just move with the times?

Cheers
Ian

goddy100
29-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Ian,
I have the shimano raider 2 peice and have found it a good rod, having taken some barra over the meter with it. In the T-curve range they have a 3 peice, while I have not used it, seems to be a nice rod and one may have to come home with me soon.

Goddy

5Zigen
29-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Whichever rod u choose, be sure you check on the size of the guides. All my JDM stuff (Megabass/Evergreen/Graphiteleader) have guides that are not 60/80lb leader friendly. This may be the case for Majorcraft also.

Which is fine for me, because I dont use much leader anyway (so in my case, the knot never runs thru the guides) but you may be a long leader user :)

ian.young
29-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi Goddy and 5Zigen

Goddy, I've got a raider (601 I think) that would fit the bill if it were a 2-piece...I assume you are talking about the 582 though? I was after something a little bit heavier.

5Zigen, my lighter two-piece is a major craft (a day's) and you are right...the top guides are pretty small compared to Aussie rods. Seem ok for 40lb leader but I may replace the tip and top three myself.

Cheers guys

Ian