seabug
27-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi,
Going to use one of these to update flotation in the Bermuda Funfisher

But can find very little info about them on the Web

So,has anyone used one of them?

Which one?

And why?

Do they need wrapping to keep away from Alum.?

Or can they just be stuck in place with Sikaflex?

Thanks

Regards
seabug

FNQCairns
27-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Seabug what about building a few small buttons up with sikaflex, so they clear the aluminium and allow air flow between, biggest problem IMO is the trapping any moisture betweens 2 surfaces one of them the aluminium.

When I finally get to it I am not looking forward to seeing the surfaces my foam has been touching because i nearly sunk the old girl leaving the bungs out at the ramp so all surfaces got a good dose of saltwater.

cheers fnq

seabug
27-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Seabug what about building a few small buttons up with sikaflex, so they clear the aluminium and allow air flow between, biggest problem IMO is the trapping any moisture betweens 2 surfaces one of them the aluminium.

When I finally get to it I am not looking forward to seeing the surfaces my foam has been touching because i nearly sunk the old girl leaving the bungs out at the ramp so all surfaces got a good dose of saltwater.

cheers fnq

Hi fnq,
What foam have you got/used?

And is it level or basic flotation?

I am thinking of putting a strip of foam 120mm x300 mm all around under the gunwhale and extending partly to the floor.

Plus putting some under the transom and in the pod.

It may take about .4 cub.m
So extra 400kg of flotation approx.

Regards
seabug

FNQCairns
28-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Mine has just styrofoam, basic floatation, think under gunwhale is a good idea if ever one side dips under it will at least try and right it's self, as you probably know the more you put low the more you will need under gunwhale to accomplish keeping from turning turtle.

That time I nearly sunk mine taught me a couple of lessons, apart from the obvious one, another was just how much water a bloke with adrenaline running can get back over the side as well as just how fast they do take on tons of water.

What you are doing is a great idea IMO but also incorporate a big auto bilge pump to cap it all off.

cheers fnq

seabug
28-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Mine has just styrofoam, basic floatation, think under gunwhale is a good idea if ever one side dips under it will at least try and right it's self, as you probably know the more you put low the more you will need under gunwhale to accomplish keeping from turning turtle.

That time I nearly sunk mine taught me a couple of lessons, apart from the obvious one, another was just how much water a bloke with adrenaline running can get back over the side as well as just how fast they do take on tons of water.

What you are doing is a great idea IMO but also incorporate a big auto bilge pump to cap it all off.

cheers fnq

Hi fnq
I have a bilge pump fitted when the boat was new,but will check out an auto one as well,thanks.

I will leave the original foam in the underfloor .So will have 300 lt. there and 400 approx.up higher.

Regards
seabug

cormorant
28-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Under the gunwhales you could opt for the cheaper foam produts as there will be little chance of contact with fuel

seabug
29-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Under the gunwhales you could opt for the cheaper foam produts as there will be little chance of contact with fuel

Thanks cormorant,

Yes,I could.
But in the event that the boat was swamped ,or in an accident then fuel could be floating around the gunwhales and contacting the styrofoam.

I have not been able to contact the manufacturers of the products.
Guess they must be closed untill New Year.

I am surprised no one on Ausfish has posted info as at least one plate boat builder is using Microlen

Regards
seabug