PDA

View Full Version : Fish don't like stingers either

Dignity
26-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Went for a run this morning off mooloolaba and have never seen so many stingers in the water. The water was literally a mass of them, at first I thought they were the box jelly or Irikanji as they were very translucent and some were square but most were circular. The fish weren't around either so was wondering do they avoid them as well, there was none on the beach and the current was flowing north. We were on the water for about 6 hours and they were present all the time so the numbers would have been staggering but we couldn't lose a bait. Also the yellow algae was quite prevalent, of late there has been a lot of this around.

struktcha_man
27-12-2008, 03:37 PM
stingers and algae doesnt sound like good conditions to me
I hear the snapper like to eat jellyfish, not sure what kind.
If they where box jellys then they would have a potent sting.

also stingers and algae could indicate a warm current, full of rubbish and no feed for the bigger predator fish.

cheers

sandbankmagnet
27-12-2008, 06:52 PM
I know for a fact that they nearly killed Dorey and Nemo.

Dignity
28-12-2008, 07:51 AM
struktcha_man,

Quite a few of them had some long thin filaments hanging from them so I would think that they would have been very painful. Hadn't heard about snapper but turtles apparently like them but didn't see one of those around, guess they might have been gorged with so many around.

sandbankmagnet - lol

Bear001
28-12-2008, 10:06 AM
We thought snapper eating jellyfish was an old wives tale - until we were up in moreton bay in Sept & when cleaning the snapper - guess what was inside them!!!!

ronnien
28-12-2008, 10:29 AM
turtle's luv em, what you have described sounds like the very bad 1's.
stay well away from them, if you get a serious sting from 1 it could be fatal!!!

ron.