PDA

View Full Version : quick fresh report from NSW

struktcha_man
26-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Well im down around the Tamworth area for a week and I wet a line at a few old spots since the rivers are running with some nice fresh and the dams are 100%.

Hit the McDonald river between Walcha and Bendemeer for trout and they are on the bite, I caught 1 on celtas and my brother lost a good size one around 40cm on a celta.

The today I hit Chaffey Dam at midday with spinnerbaits and had a nice cod around 70 cm follow my spinner in to the shallow water, but couldn't entice a strike.
I am guessing it was the heat of the midday that made then a bit sluggish on the attack, but pleasing to see anyway.

So I guess if anyone is around that way I think the fresh has picked up the fishing in the area like I have never seen before.

Early morning would be optimal and I reckon that most of the reason we didn't get a lot of strikes.

worth a go for sure, we were not that serious and still got some activity.

cheers

vinny78
26-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the report mate.

I grew up down there and you don't see many reports on here coming from that area.

I still love the Celtas. Used to use them for Trout up on The Barrington Top's in my Grandfather's dams and the mountain streams. Nowdays I use them for Sooty Grunter and they slay'em.

Cheers, Andrew

Gordie
26-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Mate I have driven that road many times in the past and always wondered if there were trout in those pretty stretches of river.

Thanks for the report. I will never go up there without a rod in the car again.

Regards Gordon

struktcha_man
26-12-2008, 06:23 PM
yeah Gordie and Vinney its a nice stretch, I have even yeilded a few from it in dry times but better when there is a good base flow from recent rains at early morning.
And since it isnt a little stream you can pull some nice size trout from it too.

I was mostly impressed by casting up a cod on Chaffey dam (yes it was a cod not a carp or cattie, years ago i never caught much from their but carp.

maybe they are restocking it and the dam is benefitting?
I knew they restocked the dam once before but not sure if they still do?

cheers