PDA

View Full Version : Sea anchor

reelchippy
26-12-2008, 11:18 AM
What length should a sea anchor be set at cheers

chevyJ
26-12-2008, 12:46 PM
I just completed my boat license a few weeks ago as I am new to the hole boat scene and we were told that a anchor is to be depth X 3 so if its 20m the rope needs to be 60 metres. but what they teach you some times is not always the right way. but at least that gives you a starting point and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
cheers
Jay

reelchippy
26-12-2008, 03:37 PM
I just completed my boat license a few weeks ago as I am new to the hole boat scene and we were told that a anchor is to be depth X 3 so if its 20m the rope needs to be 60 metres. but what they teach you some times is not always the right way. but at least that gives you a starting point and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
cheers
Jay

Thanks mate but thats for a bottom anchor this is a sea anchor which slows down the drift cheers

FNQCairns
26-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Whatever suits you, the first time you use it you will quickly see, of coarse I am talking recreation and using it within recreation.

Just don't go forgetting it's out immediately after spying a surface bustup of fish 200m away!:)

cheers fnq

reelchippy
26-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Cheers your so right

bigjimg
26-12-2008, 06:50 PM
I set mine at about 10m or so with the retrieve line out at 12m or so with float attached.And have never had a problem.Jim

disorderly
26-12-2008, 07:05 PM
I set mine at about 10m or so with the retrieve line out at 12m or so with float attached.And have never had a problem.Jim

Gday Jim...can you detail that method a bit,please...how do you attach the float and retrieve line?..

Scott

bigjimg
26-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Gday Jim...can you detail that method a bit,please...how do you attach the float and retrieve line?..

Scott
Gidday Scott
Mate i have the fisherman 4 para anchor by para anchor.You can get these pre rigged or buy just the parachute and rig yourself to your requirements.I had mine rigged with 15m of shute line and 20m of retrieve line onto which a 5inch ball float is attached.So you have two lines.one attached to the chords on the shute which is 10mm and another at 6mm attached to top of the canopyvia a small lanyard which has the ball float running freely on it.I think if you enter www.paraanchoraustralia.com (http://www.paraanchoraustralia.com) you will get some more details.Hope this helps.Jim

Malcolm W
28-12-2008, 08:06 PM
If you are talking about the cheaper pvc type just feed it out until you are happy that the anchor is well under the surface (10-15m of rope). Once you have the right length I have attached a second rope ( different colour & about 2-3m longer) to the rear of the anchor. . The second longer rope is for retrieval( makes it easier to pull in) and most of the pvc types of anchors have something to attach a rope at the small end. Then attach both ropes to the bow if this suits what you are trying to do. I find if your fishing this will bring the boat side on to the wind to drift fish.
Hope this helps Mal.

Goldfinch
30-12-2008, 02:07 PM
I have mine out approx 5 to 6 metres on a 6 metre boat. Works fine and quick to retrieve. I tie to the stern for easy access and being close it stays out the way of the lines and when I get a hit it's retrieved quick.

dnej
30-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Goldfinch,
I was taught never to attach them to the stern, and always to the bow.
David

Scott nthQld
30-12-2008, 02:42 PM
dnej, i spose it depends on the way you want to drift. If you're drifting with baits, you'd want you line to be out the side/back of the boat so you're not fishing underneath it, in which case you'd tie the chute off at the stern. Artificials, you'd tie off at the bow, so the boat travels stern first, allowing you pleanty of room to cast ahead of the drift. Of course that all depends on the layout of you boat.

FNQCairns
30-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Also they don't exert a great deal of force in the normal course of fishing they would get used in, I can overpower mine without too much effort and a 30 second steady pull, pulling the anchor up is as hard or harder so don't bother about a trip line.

Sometimes if the option allows I also use it from the rear to get the boat sitting better for the lines (or my stomach) when flow and wind are causing difficulty at anchor. The boat reacts to it no more or less even than an adult moving around....if that makes sense.

cheers fnq

dnej
30-12-2008, 04:22 PM
http://www.marinedirect.com.au/catalogue/information/paraanchor/parrasetup.jpg
This is what I was taking about,but this is a safety issue,keeping the boat into the wind. So just for rec fishing, it doesnt matter?
David

FNQCairns
30-12-2008, 05:04 PM
dnej I wouldn't say it doens't matter although with even a modicum of common sense it's hard to get in trouble with an appropriately sized sea anchor in recreational use. Mine is sized to suit a 20 footer but it's still doughy enough to use in my 10 foot tinny from the bow...although I wouldn't consider that seriously a sensible use I guess.

Yeah if ever i was to use it for safety reasons then I really cannot see how tying from the stern would do anything to improve the situation.

cheers fnq

culbara
30-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Is fine to tie to the stern in flat conditions but in rough conditions tie it to the bow, I was at frazser island comp this year and you have to drift fish all the time there as the current is so strong you cant get a line to the bottom a lot. Was down at south gardner and it was very rough so i put it off the bow and we got a freak wave about 6metres and god i was glad i had it off the bow as it at least put the bow into the wave cause if i had had it in the stern it would have fklled the boat in one gulp

Bandit1
31-12-2008, 01:27 PM
been using my para anchor same as Goldfinch, find it good for drifting over marks, easy to pull in to move back over the mark and doesnt get in the way of lines ect if u have it semi close..5mtr or of line.

Cheers
Bandit