PDA

View Full Version : backing line

cdmonkey
24-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Could anyone help me with a question?

Just got a Okuma tg 30 2 speed. Intend to use 50lb braid. What backing line should I use and how much of it?

Thanks

trueblue
24-12-2008, 04:58 PM
any tough mono of about 60 lb. That way if your braid gets spooled off and you end up going down to the backing you still have some chance of getting your braid back.

Don't use a soft mono as it can be broken by the bite of the braid at the knot.

Once the reel is spooled, take it out into the bay or offshore and hook up a torpedo swivel and a small sinker and run the lot off the reel. put it back onto the reel under good tension, and as you bring the first of the braid over the mono, use a realy heavy cross hatching when you lay the line and this will stop the braid cutting into the mono during the life of the braid.

cheers

Mick

culbara
24-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Mate if you can afford to put all braid on it do it i put one round of cloth tape on the spool and this stops any spinning of the braid on the reel. Remember if you get a fish of a lifetime on you dont want a weak spot where the backing join is

loophole
24-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Could anyone help me with a question?

Just got a Okuma tg 30 2 speed. Intend to use 50lb braid. What backing line should I use and how much of it?

Thanks

Hey mate are u looking at getting a 300yd spool of braid?

if so have a look at the line capacitcy and work it out from there and so on sometimes they will have line diameter sometimes in lb.

trueblue
25-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Mate if you can afford to put all braid on it do it i put one round of cloth tape on the spool and this stops any spinning of the braid on the reel. Remember if you get a fish of a lifetime on you dont want a weak spot where the backing join is

300 yards of 50 lb braid don't fill a reel very much. I have a TLD 20 that has 600 yds of 80 lb whiplash braid, and it still has mono backing under it because the 600 yards couldn't fill it up.

A good joining knot won't let go. Same as the join between the braid and your leader.

Cheers

Mick

tailorboi99
25-12-2008, 04:23 PM
For backing line I have used 'Platypus Lo-Stretch, 15kg' use around 500m and then 300yards of good 50lb braid. That's what my overhead has and it's just near filled ;).

Tom, Visit www.fishingplatypus.com.au

cdmonkey
27-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks guys for the replies, been great help. Now I just got to get something really big attached at the end of the line:)

tailorboi99
27-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Hehehe good luck getting it's first fish!

Tom