PDA

View Full Version : Southwind SR655 - First Boat?

scottishguy
23-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi All,

First Post!

I am looking for my first boat. It needs to be an allrounder, taking the family overnight to Tangalooma and fishing the reefs out from Mooloolaba. I think I have narrowed the field to the following;

Southwind SR655
Whittley Impala 530
Mustang 1750

These are in order of my personal preference. I am strongly leaning towards the Southwind at the moment as it does everything I want and biggest is always best8-)

My only concern with the Southwind is the fuel consumption of the 200HP 2st Yamaha motor. The Whittley has a 90HP 2 st and the Mustang has a 90HP 4st.

cheers

iceknight
23-12-2008, 01:05 PM
trade tthe 200 strk yammie for a verado... :P or big 4 strk or optimax...

scottishguy
23-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Any idea roughly how much it would cost me to change the motor to 4st?

Jeremy
23-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Any idea roughly how much it would cost me to change the motor to 4st?
You need to put up some details of engine age and hours. Some photos would also be good if you can get them.
Welcome to ausfish and hope you put up some reports in the near future!
Jeremy

boatboy50
23-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey Scottish,

If you like the Southwind's, take a look at the SF20. Not too many around, but a much better boat than the SR655 from a fishing perspective. I have owned two and they were both used extensively for overnighting and fishing.

The Southwind's ride will be light years ahead of the other two, simply one of the best hull's i've every driven. I'd own another any day.

The Whittley is simply a small cruiser, and not well suited to offshore or fishing, and the Mustang is just an average boat in many ways.

Regards

Darren
Keep a look out, as i've seen a couple of SF20's with four stroke Yammy 150's for under 35k.

Be patient and keep a good look out.

scottishguy
23-12-2008, 08:27 PM
You need to put up some details of engine age and hours. Some photos would also be good if you can get them.

Don't have any photo's I'm afraid but it's a 2000 HPDI Yamaha Salt Water Series II motor that's on the Southwind. It's clocked up 400 hours.

scottishguy
23-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks Darren. The SR655 was a bit of a comprimise, I was looking for an SF655 when I was offered a good deal on the SR ($26k) that I was very tempted with.

There is an SF20 on Boatpoint at the moment but it's a bit older than what I've been searching for.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2930538

boatboy50
23-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Hey Scottish,

I don't like the SF655 anywhere near as much as the older SF20. The walk through deck to anchor, and the big cabin is an advantage the 655 doesn't have.

They both use the exact same hull, as does the SR20 and SR655.

The boat you linked has been for sale for many months with the price reducing as time went by. I would think it still needs to come down closer to 20k, and then repower with a used or new four stroke. As long as the boat has been looked after, I wouldn't worry about the age of the hull. The motor is what counts, and that 140 is worth squat.

Before you commit, at least have a look at an SF20. The design is much better IMHO. Polish it, new canvas and you won't regret it.

Regards

Darren

skippa
24-12-2008, 07:49 PM
SG,

Mate have to agree with previous comment on the ride of the southwinds, I've owned a few boats in my time and IMO you'll be hard pressed to beat the southwind. My current boat is the smaller SR17, after previously owning a Haines VR17. She's been in some pretty ordinary weather offshore and in Moreton, but I've never felt unsafe and she has always handled any conditons well, remebering mine's the 17 footer version.

Well built and some say stylish too (for their time), mines a 94 model.

I reckon half the fun is looking for a boat ...... good luck

Cheers,
Tony

Jabba_
24-12-2008, 08:41 PM
SG,

Mate have to agree with previous comment on the ride of the southwinds, I've owned a few boats in my time and IMO you'll be hard pressed to beat the southwind. My current boat is the smaller SR17, after previously owning a Haines VR17. She's been in some pretty ordinary weather offshore and in Moreton, but I've never felt unsafe and she has always handled any conditons well, remebering mine's the 17 footer version.

Cheers,
Tony

Skippa,, that's a top looking boat, not only for it's time, but in todays standard also... Why did you sell it??...

Wahoo
24-12-2008, 09:12 PM
SG,

Cheers,
Tony

94 model............and still has nice lines......... sweet........

skippa
26-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Skippa,, that's a top looking boat, not only for it's time, but in todays standard also... Why did you sell it??...

Jabba,

She is still my current ride. I was going to sell her last year and down size but decided against it. Besides she's probably worth more to me than she is worth on the open market today anyways.

Thanks, yeah still a good ride even by today standards

Cheers,
Tony

Tassie JR
26-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Hey mate defintly go the southwind awsome ride mate and as mentioned defintly put a 4 stroke on it and you will have one awsome seaworthy boat and i guarentee you wont be dissapointed in the ride and sea handleing abilities.

cheers tassie JR