PDA

View Full Version : IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

NAGG
23-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Hi all
Time to be a little controversial.::)

Now .... with the capture of larger impoundment barra & the question being asked "Is it time to rethink the metery?" - I'd like to pose the question
"Does trolling count ?"

I ask this based on my observation at Monduran last month - I noticed that there seemed to be an almost blase attitude around the camp ground (listening to camp kitchen chat) - Plenty of big (110-125cm) barra were being trolled up in the main basin ...... though not too much caught casting -
additionally & what promted me .... In my travels yesterday - I was shown piccys (on a IPOD type thingy) of 4 barra over 1.2M & 1 at 1.36M all taken during a recent trip to Kinchant & Faust ...... & all on the troll - & what got me was once again the "Oh hum" type of response ..... so matter of fact no real big deal .... do it all the time !
Now .... not wanting to denigrate those that troll for barra - But, Lets face it - a meter + barra caught in the main basin on the troll - just doesn't quite cut it when compared to one caught casting .........
So am I wrong to feel this way ??? (it's not jealousy or elitism - either > I think;) ) Whats your thoughts ???

cheers

Chris

PS ..... My first meter barra was caught trolling:P

BobbyJ123
23-12-2008, 05:53 AM
IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

Why not??? It is a form of fishing....

NAGG
23-12-2008, 06:48 AM

To me & my way of thinking it doesn't present the same challenges! .

In golf terms an equivalent would be shooting a even par 72 off the plates on medal day Vs a 72 off the social tees ( both are great scores ....... but one is a significantly more meritorious result)

I would also say the same about a fly caught metery ...... a better capture still8-)

Chris

Tropicaltrout
23-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Oh crap mate what have you done "Does Trolling Count":rifle:

Well yes it is a form of fishing and yes My current Pb was a trolled up fish and yes it is just no where near as rewarding as the one that was a cm shorter taken in the sticks the day before but... A PB is a pb no matter what were why it was caught.... I agree with the trollers as it is a form of fishing and some take all things into considderation when driving around , other's well its pot luck but realy fishing in all sence is a good part of luck.:P

A fish in the sticks is sporting and makes the Angler think long and hard about his attack stratergy and still gets stitched up.. All the gear and know how in tight timber wont help you bring a big fish boat side..... A trolled fish well yes it's a great feeling all the same but no where near the reward once released.. After a day casting I feel forfilled and like I have been fishing and loved every second on the water, but remember there are some who simply cant stand and cast some with injury or conditions and trolling is there only option so in that sence it is just as rewarding to them.....

Should a trophy sailfish trolled up count or just one of the ones caught on a fly rod????

Good stuff but your going to cop a bit here mate I would say???;D ;D :LOL:

NAGG
23-12-2008, 07:07 AM
Oh crap mate what have you done "Does Trolling Count":rifle:

Well yes it is a form of fishing and yes My current Pb was a trolled up fish and yes it is just no where near as rewarding as the one that was a cm shorter taken in the sticks the day before but... A PB is a pb no matter what were why it was caught.... I agree with the trollers as it is a form of fishing and some take all things into considderation when driving around , other's well its pot luck but realy fishing in all sence is a good part of luck.:P

A fish in the sticks is sporting and makes the Angler think long and hard about his attack stratergy and still gets stitched up.. All the gear and know how in tight timber wont help you bring a big fish boat side..... A trolled fish well yes it's a great feeling all the same but no where near the reward once released.. After a day casting I feel forfilled and like I have been fishing and loved every second on the water, but remember there are some who simply cant stand and cast some with injury or conditions and trolling is there only option so in that sence it is just as rewarding to them.....

Should a trophy sailfish trolled up count or just one of the ones caught on a fly rod????

Good stuff but your going to cop a bit here mate I would say???;D ;D :LOL:

Mate .... I threw it out there knowing that I'm going to get smashed:devil: " Hence the being controversial"
PBs are PBs ..... That's all there is to that ...... its your own!
People that troll ...... for what ever reason Injury , age , lazy , inexperienced etc ..... its all good - They are fishing8-)
But lets face it (& be realistic)........ its not the same. .. I have a chuckle to my self when someone tells me it is........ having caught meteries both way

Chris

PS - I'll say it again - no disrespect to those that troll8-)

PPS - As for game fish (sailfish marlin etc) - they have line classes to distinguish merit ...... & there is a separate category for fly:)

Magella
23-12-2008, 08:11 AM
I think trolling counts after all our most famous barra comps in Australia are held in the NT and you are allowed to troll. It is just the Lake anglers who have been sucked into the Americian bass sytle fishing and comps that say trolling is not a true way of anglering.

Twitch, Twitch
Foxie

kevin jackson
23-12-2008, 08:13 AM
there is no comparison between a cast metery and a trolled metery, but it is all down to personal preferance, personally i disregard a mates metery if it is on the troll, only casting is counted in my boat.

NAGG
23-12-2008, 08:17 AM
I think trolling counts after all our most famous barra comps in Australia are held in the NT and you are allowed to troll. It is just the Lake anglers who have been sucked into the Americian bass sytle fishing and comps that say trolling is not a true way of anglering.

Twitch, Twitch
Foxie

Foxy ...... They troll up in the NT - because if they stop , a big F'n Croc will eat em;D
mate .... you cant tell me that casting into a horrible snag (I mean structure .... sorry Trev;D ) & getting smashed - doesn't get the old adrenalin goin:P .......

whykickacatalong
23-12-2008, 08:30 AM

;D ;D hahaha, you just had to comment didn't you Bob. Dont worry mate, you fish in the sticks at Kinchant. There is a stick stuck in the dam wall and another on the bank which Bob told us to troll backwards and forwards:P

He does get big barra there though:o

Personally I fish the sticks. I have gone fishless while mates have been out on the basin or belting plastics around the weed getting into fish but I refuse to do so. I have been done by big fish in the timber and I have found that 1 on 1 tug-o-war to be addictive so I want the metery in the sticks.!!!! If I want to play with a fish in open water I will chase Kings in the salt;D

Magella
23-12-2008, 08:37 AM

Twitch, Twitch
Foxie

Nagg,
I knew if I'd present it right, add a couple of twitches I would get hammered

Cheers Foxie ::)::)

NAGG
23-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Nagg,
I knew if I'd present it right, add a couple of twitches I would get hammered

Cheers Foxie ::)::)

Foxy ..... I'd be the easiest barra to lure:2vrolijk_08:

NAGG
23-12-2008, 08:45 AM
;D ;D hahaha, you just had to comment didn't you Bob. Dont worry mate, you fish in the sticks at Kinchant. There is a stick stuck in the dam wall and another on the bank which Bob told us to troll backwards and forwards:P

He does get big barra there though:o

Personally I fish the sticks. I have gone fishless while mates have been out on the basin or belting plastics around the weed getting into fish but I refuse to do so. I have been done by big fish in the timber and I have found that 1 on 1 tug-o-war to be addictive so I want the metery in the sticks.!!!! If I want to play with a fish in open water I will chase Kings in the salt;D

& thats just it ........ Sure you can catch huge barra trolling & its quite common
........ but a big barra caught in the sticks ..... leaves you in awe

Dick Pasfield
23-12-2008, 08:50 AM
caught in the main basin on the troll -

I don't have a main basin. 'cept perhaps the one in the on suite but the boat wont fit?? So I have to troll in the river when its the best option and cast when that's the better option.

As I've said before trolling up barras can become as much as a contact sport as casting when you put the effort in. Likewise you can put the brain in neutral and cast to the cows come home if you like.;)

fsh00
23-12-2008, 09:15 AM
As long as the fish is caught on a fishing line it counts, one method uses a manual means to drag the lure through the water the other uses a mechanical device.
If i could troll through the sticks i would.;D
Ohh and lets not forget about bait fishing ::)
Maybe we should seperate diving lures from surface lures allso, even more of an adrenaline rush ::)

Steve B
23-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Chris..

I can see where your coming from, and what your trying to say having done both myself. I have been guilty of 'trolling brigade' bashing (tounge in cheek fo course;) )from time to time, but I do respect the artform involved from the experts at trolling out there.

My PB salt barra came trolling up the middle of Nerlangi (cant spell) creek in Sth Aligator River NT with a gap between massive fallen trees no wider than 2 boats for a stretch of about 50m. It was an artform to work lures over the submerged stuff at the right time.....then if you hooked up.....keeping it out of the stuff you could see!! ooooh yeah, thats in raging current too. It was easier to tie up and cast, but we wanted the challenge too.

I too have witnessed the aiimless trolling in circles follow the leader style in the basin at Awoonga and Monduran......but in amongst them all is a couple of serious ones trolling contours, droppoffs, weededges and points with a bit of nouce. They get the lions share of fish here and awoonga.

Awoonga used to be my favorite place to troll. we only ever worked 2 points in 14-15 ft max of water and caught multitudes over a 4 year period.....often watching the crowds following each other out in the middle so they wouldnt get weed on there lures...or fish.

So its probably easy to say trolling doesnt count. but some people are experts at it, just like casting or fly....and we dont really notice. Its their choice, and it should count IMHO, especially if they have mastered a specific technique or presentation to catch fish.

A smart caster would be down in the basin casting the same points and dropoffs for the same horse fish!!!

Steve

goddy100
23-12-2008, 09:42 AM
This has come up before in the guise of PB barra debate. In then end it is up to the individual angler and what they are happy with. The important thing is to not knock others for what they are happy with. There is always someone out there who has more "elitist" form of fishing than you. I know people who will not count any form of dam barra, as they are "just for practice", and others who are happy with any barra they can get. If you don't feel you can count barra that have been trolled, then that is a personal choice for you and the challages you present yourself with when you fish.
Just remember, in the end it is for your own personal enjoyment that you participate in this sport and how you get that enjoyment is up to you, not some other bloke who degrades what could be a personal catch of a lifetime.

goddy

NAGG
23-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Chris..

I can see where your coming from, and what your trying to say having done both myself. I have been guilty of 'trolling brigade' bashing (tounge in cheek fo course;) )from time to time, but I do respect the artform involved from the experts at trolling out there.

My PB salt barra came trolling up the middle of Nerlangi (cant spell) creek in Sth Aligator River NT with a gap between massive fallen trees no wider than 2 boats for a stretch of about 50m. It was an artform to work lures over the submerged stuff at the right time.....then if you hooked up.....keeping it out of the stuff you could see!! ooooh yeah, thats in raging current too. It was easier to tie up and cast, but we wanted the challenge too.

I too have witnessed the aiimless trolling in circles follow the leader style in the basin at Awoonga and Monduran......but in amongst them all is a couple of serious ones trolling contours, droppoffs, weededges and points with a bit of nouce. They get the lions share of fish here and awoonga.

Awoonga used to be my favorite place to troll. we only ever worked 2 points in 14-15 ft max of water and caught multitudes over a 4 year period.....often watching the crowds following each other out in the middle so they wouldnt get weed on there lures...or fish.

So its probably easy to say trolling doesnt count. but some people are experts at it, just like casting or fly....and we dont really notice. Its their choice, and it should count IMHO, especially if they have mastered a specific technique or presentation to catch fish.

A smart caster would be down in the basin casting the same points and dropoffs for the same horse fish!!!

Steve

As I've said in other threads ........ There is a certain skill required to be a good troller ....... The guy I spoke to yesterday clearly was ( uses a down rigger & flat running lures) follows contours with a GPS & used a pretty good sounder to troll thermoclines - So it was scientific trolling!
But in the end ....... I harped back on the camp ground discussions - I sort of felt well is that what it takes to catch a big mumma::) .......... There didn't seem to be that excitement - just a case of "Yeh we'll go out & do it again sort of thing"
But hey ..... regardless Its a case of doing whatever you want to do

Chris

Whitto
23-12-2008, 10:13 AM
At this stage I'm going to remain conspicuous by my Absence.....Ho Ho Ho Ho:o;D8-)

NAGG
23-12-2008, 10:27 AM
At this stage I'm going to remain conspicuous by my Absence.....Ho Ho Ho Ho:o;D8-)

I was waiting for your comments mate:P

Too much political correctness on this topic ;D ..... It must be the Festive Season - HUMBUG:D

Chris

Steve B
23-12-2008, 10:43 AM

hey Whitto,

Cant say Ho Ho Ho anymore......Its offensive to garden tools!!
;D ;D Steve

Chris,

I know what your saying now....Mate, the troll in cirlces and catch big fish will come to an end one day. Every year for the last few now has seen a decline in the number of XOS fish trolled up around the full moon. Why???? thats a whole new argument. I think the same said freezer/trophy brigade has a fair % of responsibility along with other natural factors.

History has proven, with the rapid migration from one 'hot' dam to another from Tinaroo thru to Monduran over past 10 yrs. the trollers have had a ball with big fish. When it gets tough, they just migrate to next dam that becomes 'hot' and fires up.!!!! But where to now after Monduran??? Theres no plan 'B' new dam to plunder now. They have all been hammered. Times change, and fishing techiniques will have to too. They already are.

Mother nature will do some culling over the next few years.....and it wont be the fish.

Steve

NAGG
23-12-2008, 10:52 AM
hey Whitto,

;D ;D Steve

Did it have a stutter ::) ;D

Whitto
23-12-2008, 11:19 AM
hey Whitto,

;D ;D Steve

Chris,

I know what your saying now....Mate, the troll in cirlces and catch big fish will come to an end one day. Every year for the last few now has seen a decline in the number of XOS fish trolled up around the full moon. Why???? thats a whole new argument. I think the same said freezer brigade has a fair % of responsibility. I

History has proven, with the rapid migration from one 'hot' dam to another from Tinaroo thru to Monduran over past 10 yrs. the trollers have had a ball with big fish. When it gets tough, they just migrate to next dam that becomes 'hot' and fires up.!!!! But where to now after Monduran??? Theres no plan 'B' new dam to plunder now. They have all been hammered. Times change, and fishing techiniques will have to too. They already are.

Mother nature will do some culling over the next few years.....and it wont be the fish.

SteveAAhhh Shite...Sorry.....Sl.t Sl.t Sl.t;D Mary Xmas sorry all the Garden Tools out there::) PS IM waiting for Daryl to logon:P

DEANO68
23-12-2008, 11:44 AM
hey chris,

a similar question could be asked about weed beds v timber...awoonga v monduran..( although there is good weed a mondy also)...my only mtr fish (103).came from casting weed at awoonga, and came to the net relativley easily. but the memory of a fish up at H at mondy which i called for 90-100, was a much , much harder task,several rattlin leaps and knitted in submerged timber ,peelin near locked drag..didnt get the fish but had bloody ball trying.(f#*k i wish i got that fish.)..still being quite green at the barra scene ( but learning every trip) dont mind a troll and a beer but have never hooked one trollin,and would claim the mtr if i do.....three different senarios of catchin barra, but yea would claim the mtr caught in each one....even trollin...8-) 8-) 8-)

cheers deano..8-)

DEANO68
23-12-2008, 12:04 PM
woo merry x-mas i just turned gold....:)

nipsta
23-12-2008, 12:55 PM

Twitch, Twitch
Foxie
yes i agree with you foxie trolling is a rewarding way for sure and we seem to follow the yanks for some strange reason . do we have to do everything they do the same big flash boats flash shirts only the best gear out there is execepeted . this is all aim at making money for the suppliers of all this stuff lets stick to the aussie way relax afternoon running back and forth over a sounded up point or drop off in our flanny and cubra hat and the footy or races playing on our little radio in the back ground now that the way it suppose to be a relaxing activity to ease the stresses of work not a comp who is better then the other cuase on caught one trolling and one caught one cast of one caught one live baiting to me there all as equal as the other i belive you have to be versitle to the sitution if trolling is whats catching the fish them so be it if live bait is then so be it if luring in the sticks is so be it . I was brought up on the basic a prawn on a hook with a small leader and sinker casting in a deep hole waiting for a preditor .Have we all forgotten what this funny game fishing is all about ffffffiiiiiiiisshhhhiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggg

But hey thats just my thoughts each to there own

Luc
23-12-2008, 01:54 PM
It's all fishing.

I've been told trolling is simply towing a piece of plastic/wood/metal/feather and hoping!!

I've also been told that casting is simply trowing & retrieving a piece of plastic/wood/metal/feather and hoping!!

Like all fishing you can be as leisurly or methodical as you want.

For me it's more a case of what works at the time. I've been out with dedicated casters and trollers who will simply not try any other way to fish even if they get zilch. Is that the mark of a good angler!!

To me catching fish is the aim and I'll use/try/change methods untill I get results.

Luc

BR65
23-12-2008, 02:51 PM
hey Whitto,

;D ;D Steve

Chris,

I know what your saying now....Mate, the troll in cirlces and catch big fish will come to an end one day. Every year for the last few now has seen a decline in the number of XOS fish trolled up around the full moon. Why???? thats a whole new argument. I think the same said freezer/trophy brigade has a fair % of responsibility along with other natural factors.

Steve

Had that very same conversation with a mate not that long ago Steve!

NAGG
23-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Well ...... I'm clearly off the mark here based on the general consensus

better go crawl under the bed & give myself an uppercut:-X

Chris

mylestom
23-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Mate .... I threw it out there knowing that I'm going to get smashed:devil: " Hence the being controversial"
PBs are PBs ..... That's all there is to that ...... its your own!
People that troll ...... for what ever reason Injury , age , lazy , inexperienced etc ..... its all good - They are fishing8-)
But lets face it (& be realistic)........ its not the same. .. I have a chuckle to my self when someone tells me it is........ having caught meteries both way

Chris

PS - I'll say it again - no disrespect to those that troll8-)

PPS - As for game fish (sailfish marlin etc) - they have line classes to distinguish merit ...... & there is a separate category for fly:)

Chris,

Well you better advise all the fisherman in the NT that the fish that they catch in the Barra Classic don't count.

This topic was covered in my post just a month ago about PB Barra does it count.

Firstly if its a legally caught fish it counts.

The elitist attitude of a minority of fisherman who think that what they do is better than anyone else is stupid.

Secondly comments such as above in regard to age, disability etc are discrimatory and should not have been used in that context..

Yes I have been fishing for Barra for a few decades and to think just because someone fairly new on the scene, decides that they wish to boast, that their methods are better than others is a load of garbage.

Yes, you got a reaction but as above, think about what you post as those people who have been doing it for along time have a lot of knowledge, a lot of what you have learnt has been passed down over the years.

Not impressed with the tone and the way it was put. (Perhaps you are keen to get a lot of posts up, but a bit of thought might have been needed this time)

Regards

Trev

Owen
23-12-2008, 05:42 PM
well I reckon it's a bit like getting a *** job from a really ugly chick.
Still feels great, but you just don't brag about it to all your mates ;)

OK, so maybe a few close ones....

TonyM
23-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I agree it's a personal choice thing.

For me personally casting in the sticks is where it's at. I tried trolling a couple of times and in the interest of public safety I avoid doing it (I fall asleep)

Maybe one day when I'm even more old and decrepit than I am now I will have more of an interest in trolling.

I think trolling is a great option when you have little kids in the boat and want to put them on to a barra. My youngest is 4 now and I reckon he's just about ready to take on a fish out in the basin on the troll, I might have to get my older son to drive though due to the falling asleep issue!

Cheers
Tony

DEANO68
23-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Well ...... I'm clearly off the mark here based on the general consensus

better go crawl under the bed & give myself an uppercut:-X

Chris

so you should,:-[ give yourself one from me too,:-[ ,,,not to hard but..;) ..

fair question chris, bound to cause some contraversie,, all good fun..8-)

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
23-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Lyndon's words in our latest book------ goes something along the lines of--------an aboriginal with a spear sneaking up on foot in stealth mode in a crafty way to spear a barramundi in a lagoon- that makes the argument of troll versus cast look like a squashed grape on the bitumen.
In seconds to that- both my new updated website and the book contains the same article on why cast and troll tactics are equally important in any fishery, barra, salt or fresh. As a guide who focuses on cast and retrieve, I do know the times where casting and jig fishing is inferior to troll fishing at 'select' periods.
To rate any type of cast or troll tactic as easy ,simple, ho hum type can be true for all forms. To me- many cast captures are dead easy- no real skill required. The same argument applies to both.
Read the article if anyone is interested. My new site is laid out to assist those with a thirst to improve as anglers. Tonnes to read.
Merry Christmas to all. I have decided to keep my work on my site in future to keep it easily accessible to interested anglers.
Cheers,
Best Wishes,
Johnny Mitchell www.fishawoonga.com.au (http://www.fishawoonga.com.au)

Tropicaltrout
23-12-2008, 06:19 PM
The main point made here by all punching a keyboard is do what ever the bloody hell you want its not a comp it's a passion, if you like the sticks fish them if you troll go troll. Naggs question was a good one and yes a little optimistic but I agree with most it dose not matter... but

I think the question after reading it a bit more is if there was a invisable ladder like say a boat, theres my tinnie a hornet then a skeeter... trolling, casting and fly they all work but you get more satisfaction by moving to the more pracise form...

It's a bit of a laugh....

Nath

NAGG
23-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Chris,

This topic was covered in my post just a month ago about PB Barra does it count.

Firstly if its a legally caught fish it counts.

The elitist attitude of a minority of fisherman who think that what they do is better than anyone else is stupid.

Yes, you got a reaction but as above, think about what you post as those people who have been doing it for along time have a lot of knowledge, a lot of what you have learnt has been passed down over the years.

Regards

Trev

:stop: HOLD THE PHONE - STOP THE BOAT RIGHT THERE!!!!

Secondly comments such as above in regard to age, disability etc are discrimatory and should not have been used in that context..

This comment was made in response to Nath who mentioned that some people may not be able to stand there & cast ...... so trolling might be their only way of fishing for barra ...... additionally it might be a little kid or like my first trip .... through inexperience - I trolled - so please dont pull the discrimination card or insinuate my post reflects any form discrimination .......... because as I said They are all fishing!

Well you better advise all the fisherman in the NT that the fish that they catch in the Barra Classic don't count.

Isn't the barra classic & nationals invitational events that are basically a piss up for industry types & media personalities ........ Its certainly not the be all & end all in barra fishing

Not impressed with the tone and the way it was put. (Perhaps you are keen to get a lot of posts up, but a bit of thought might have been needed this time)

Yes I have been fishing for Barra for a few decades and to think just because someone fairly new on the scene, decides that they wish to boas, that their methods are better than other is a load of garbage.

Personally I dont give a toss about my 4216 posts (& counting) ...... It was an itch that I needed scratched & so I scratched it (I speak my mind) The site would be pretty boring if we just put up the usual type of thread
....... I knew outright that It was bound to be controversial & said so ..... I also made it clear that I was not denigrating anyone who trolled - I was looking for what others thought of their personal value of a trolled fish Vs a cast one.
>>>>>>
Boasting ...... Hmmm - not really because compared to others her abouts - I have bugger all to boast about - I just love catching barra on a cast lure or plastic......... At no time did I say that my method was better than anything else - & if it was just about catching big fish or numbers ....... I too would start trolling .

With regard to elitism ..... I think not, as casting equates to probably 50% of the popular styles!
If we were talking fly ..... that would be elitism & .... I will take my hat off to anyone that lands a big fish on fly ....... because that would be a challenge - Maybe next year :P

Lighten up & have a great Christmas

Chris

DEANO68
23-12-2008, 07:49 PM
[
big fish on fly .
...... because that would be a challenge - Maybe next year :P

toga on fly, barra on fly , you busy next year chris..::)..

fair comeback all points covered....;D ;D

nipsta
23-12-2008, 07:56 PM
i dont know bloody cockaroachs start a war
to be honest i dont care how we all catch one achieve the one goal is good for me serantiy hows the seranity in the sticks up the back down the bassin its all good to me no matter the damm i belive each to there own and so long as we all consideer what the other is doing to be equal it dont matter unless ya gaffing them for photos then not impressed

anyway 2 sleeps to the man in the big red coat please bring me a good year of fishing

NAGG
23-12-2008, 08:02 PM
[
big fish on fly .

Deano ..... you know I plan to be busy !

yep ... gunna take the long wand to catch a Toga ..... just so I can belittle those that catch a Toga on a lure only :P ;) ;D

Mate ..... Got my goat up

Chris

eotbmg
23-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah fair response Chris. I never found one word of your post or replies discriminatory, as he said he was putting it out there for discussion!!!! Not to intentionally piss people off, just raising a POINT OF VIEW. Is'nt that why we all log on to this site?????? To expand our horizons and learn......Through others point of view???
Personally i love to cast, but have also caught fish trolling. Woopiddy Doo.
Its your life...troll if you want, cast if you want...Dont take it all to heart.
Merry Christmas
Ben

NAGG
23-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah fair response Chris. I never found one word of your post or replies discriminatory, as he said he was putting it out there for discussion!!!! Not to intentionally piss people off, just raising a POINT OF VIEW. Is'nt that why we all log on to this site?????? To expand our horizons and learn......Through others point of view???
Personally i love to cast, but have also caught fish trolling. Woopiddy Doo.
Its your life...troll if you want, cast if you want...Dont take it all to heart.
Merry Christmas
Ben

Thanks Ben

I thought I made it pretty clear a few times ....... no denegration intended - just a point of discussion!

Chris

eotbmg
23-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks Ben

I thought I made it pretty clear a few times ....... no denegration intended - just a point of discussion!

Chris

And you knew you would cop a bit of flack too which i loved:-*:-*

NAGG
23-12-2008, 08:22 PM
I WAS JUST THINKING (under the bed)

HEY WITH THE STRONG SUPPORT FOR TROLLING ......... We could turn the Mondy Muster into a trolling event::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

sorry you guys ....:LMAO: :devil:

PS ..... My post count is ticking - keep it going 5000 posts before 2009

eotbmg
23-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Sounds inviting,
if we tie all the boats together, i will get Paul Big Ren to play from the Cd player, Ring a Ring a rosie, or Mary had a little lamb might be more fitting
Having some fun now

Tropicaltrout
23-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Trolling is boring and a absolute waste of my time yes we do it but be 100% true to yourself its bloody boring hand on the throttle arm watch the sounder and hold the rod wow look theres a arch oooh it 4 metres deep no no 5 now oooh theres a bump that looks like bait boring!!!!!!! :huh: :lipsrsealed: :grin: :builder: I would rather spear fish for them:uhoh:

Even my mate I took fishing last trip was bored with it and wanted to flick a bit and now went out and bought a new reel to do so and belive me hes not good for stading and casting

Sorry I could not hold it any longer I would rather state my 122 the the one I got trolling so there thats it trollers shmollers, if you want to troll buy a trawler and go get some xmas prawns:speechless: :oops: :helpa: :laugh:

Off to find a hole to get in....... take it well guys its all fun;D

Merry Christmas

TonyM
23-12-2008, 08:59 PM
[
big fish on fly .

Nahhh he needs to get some real rustwater fish on fly for it to count ;D

I'm loving this topic - it's always great to see people passionate about their fishing :D

Only 2 more big sleeps people!!!! ;D (and only 5 till I hit Mondy with whykickadumbassanimalalong!!!!!) :)

NAGG
23-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Sounds inviting,
if we tie all the boats together, i will get Paul Big Ren to play from the Cd player, Ring a Ring a rosie, or Mary had a little lamb might be more fitting
Having some fun now

RINGA RINGA METERY

Mate with this sentiment towards trolling ........ you never know :-/ Mondy Muster Trolling event
At least we could get on the piss all night & still get a good days sleep:P I could even set up the brolly 40004

NAGG
23-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Trolling is boring and a absolute waste of my time yes we do it but be 100% true to yourself its bloody boring hand on the throttle arm watch the sounder and hold the rod wow look theres a arch oooh it 4 metres deep no no 5 now oooh theres a bump that looks like bait boring!!!!!!! :huh: :lipsrsealed: :grin: :builder: I would rather spear fish for them:uhoh:

Even my mate I took fishing last trip was bored with it and wanted to flick a bit and now went out and bought a new reel to do so and belive me hes not good for stading and casting

Sorry I could not hold it any longer I would rather state my 122 the the one I got trolling so there thats it trollers shmollers, if you want to troll buy a trawler and go get some xmas prawns:speechless: :oops: :helpa: :laugh:

Off to find a hole to get in....... take it well guys its all fun;D

Merry Christmas

I just knew .... people were being too politically correct .......... But for how long;D
Chris

mylestom
23-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Chris,

Have a nice Christmas,

The post can be good for discussions.

However still disagree and firmly believe that anyone who wants to say their method or comp is better than others needs to gain more experience Australia wide.

Fished most states of Australia and will be still learning till the day I die.

Again the only requirement is that the fish is caught by legal means.

Each to his own and no need to put down anyone who doesn't conform to the ideas of a few.

Yes I am disabled and getting old and sometimes get cranky, but respect for others is the way I was bought up.

Enjoy your fishing but respect what others do to reach their own personal goals.

Merry Christmas

Trev

Tropicaltrout
23-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Well put Trev has that new motor there yet I bet if it is your stoked and looking forward to breaking it in, Merry Xmas mate to you and thewife and hope to see you again bach up there soon

NAGG
23-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Chris,

Have a nice Christmas,

The post can be good for discussions.

However still disagree and firmly believe that anyone who wants to say their method or comp is better than others needs to gain more experience Australia wide.

Fished most states of Australia and will be still learning till the day I die.

Again the only requirement is that the fish is caught by legal means.

Each to his own and no need to put down anyone who doesn't conform to the ideas of a few.

Yes I am disabled and getting old and sometimes get cranky, but respect for others is the way I was bought up.

Enjoy your fishing but respect what others do to reach their own personal goals.

Merry Christmas

Trev

Trev ...... those that know me & know my nature ....... will know that I'm not a disrespectful person ........ I might be opinionated though - thats me. THREADS LIKE THIS ARE RAISED TO PROMOTE THOUGHT ...... & OPINIONS !
In this threads case ...... I couldn't be selective & ask those that I know...... It is a public forum & I was totally aware of the possible flack.
there is not a case of begrudging a guy that picks up a 136 while trolling ...... good on em I say! ....... But its not my personal goal - I'm very happy casting my way along the PB chain 1 cm at a time 8-) THATS MY CHALLENGE!

Anyhow ...... life is too good to let these things get in your way.

Have a great Christmas & see you on the water in 09

Chris

chewy01
23-12-2008, 10:36 PM
I guess guys when its all said and done its whatever rocks your boat.Iv caught a couple barra,but a couple stand out.One salty on fly at mackay and one 111 at monduran. the one at monduran andy got at at age 11 casting at bens point and the salty was a 78cm turbo model on fly landbased at mackay. It seriously shouldnt be about what does it for other ppl just the special barra for you. In ten or twenty years when we are casting lures that swim by themselves that have video feeds all the talk of hollowbellies,squidgies,trolling casting will be forgotten.
Go fishing(barra or otherwise) to wind down, wind up,troll,cast,whatever... doit for what makes you happy.. not to post who got the biggest,best...its a huge learning curve.....but still remember the bloke that comes for a once a year fish, throws out a viper(tongue in cheek guys so dont bite)anf gets a metre thirty fish will be just as stoked as us blokes that get a metrey in the sticks or any barra casting in the salt.Sometimes the fish just arent biting casting(bombers..thanks roo n kim :)...) and a change of tactics are required.Even in the salt sometimes trolling is the answer(though losing 5 classics in 5 trolls didnt seem like it). it seriously it whatever rocks/floats your boat..im the first to admit these days id rather catch a fish garrr throwing softies(thzanks chris) than catch nothing so i guess it a matter of prioritizing your fishing wants and needs..oops im rambling...when is borumba???

Cammy
24-12-2008, 01:38 AM
Chewy nailed it allright.

To me either is good aslong as im out there fishin!!!!!!!!!

Blah blah blah argue argue argue thats all we do lol

Cam

mylestom
24-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Chris,

Those that know me also, realise that I always try to do the right thing, and will not sit back and let others have a go at those who aren't around or have enough confidence to defend themselves.

Does trolling count yes, if a legal fish.

Perhaps you should also pose the question should illegal (Read undersize) fish count???????

Merry Christmas

Trev

DEANO68
24-12-2008, 05:48 AM

I'm loving this topic - it's always great to see people passionate about their fishing :D

Only 2 more big sleeps people!!!! ;D (and only 5 till I hit Mondy with whykickadumbassanimalalong!!!!!) :)

i hear ya tony, love some of pauls pics and vids fly dickin for trevs on the flats...now that would be fun...8-)

Whitto
24-12-2008, 06:23 AM
Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all Thank God there are a number of Options available to catch Barra.....Unfortunatedly for me Im not very good at any of them.....but have caught enough fish to keep me coming back for more.....so having said that see you all in 2009......Whitto PS: It has been very interesting reading all your comments

Tropicaltrout
24-12-2008, 06:26 AM
That's the thing Whitto well said, Merry Xmas

BobbyJ123
24-12-2008, 07:12 AM

Enjoy yourselves...

NAGG
24-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Chris,

Those that know me also, realise that I always try to do the right thing, and will not sit back and let others have a go at those who aren't around or have enough confidence to defend themselves.

Does trolling count yes, if a legal fish.

Perhaps you should also pose the question should illegal (Read undersize) fish count???????

Merry Christmas

Trev

Well I never realised I was in the presence of the caped crusader " Truth Justice & the Trollers way" ::) - Trev .. time to get off the high horse & stop trying to play the victimised poor soul (specially when there is no victimisation) - Just opinion ........ on merit
You & anyone else can troll away & catch as many big barra as you like - its no skin off my nose - I'll think no more or less of anyone that does so 8-)

On the question of undersized fish ...... why ask :-/ Each fish is returned anyway ..... be it undersized , legal or XOS - Ahhhh but thats another controversial topic in its own right::) :-X

Chris

NAGG
24-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all Thank God there are a number of Options available to catch Barra.....Unfortunatedly for me Im not very good at any of them.....but have caught enough fish to keep me coming back for more.....so having said that see you all in 2009......Whitto PS: It has been very interesting reading all your comments

Aint that the Truth

CASTING plastics , CASTING HBs , CASTING poppers , CASTING fizzers & fly CASTING;) ;D ;D
Yep lots of options8-)

whykickacatalong
24-12-2008, 07:52 AM
You & anyone else can troll away & catch as many big barra as you like - its no skin off my nose - I'll think no more or less of anyone that does so 8-)

Chris

Now be truthful. I myself think that the more people trolling is a very good thing and I think highly of them. Means that there are less people dragging lures through the sticks where the tough barra sit:P.

Originally Posted by TonyM http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=944431#post944431)

Work is flatout at the moment, I have the family coming tomorrow and need to drag the van down to Lennox for the wife and sisterin-law to stay in while I am away and as yet I have not even started to pack a splitring for Mondy. Dont worry though, I will be there, just not that well organised I am guessing::)

NAGG
24-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Now be truthful. I myself think that the more people trolling is a very good thing and I think highly of them. Means that there are less people dragging lures through the sticks where the tough barra sit:P.

No mate ....... because the trollers also try to go between me & a point that I may be casting to ......... gee I hate that >:(

Chris

mylestom
24-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Well I never realised I was in the presence of the caped crusader " Truth Justice & the Trollers way" ::) - Trev .. time to get off the high horse & stop trying to play the victimised poor soul (specially when there is no victimisation) - Just opinion ........ on merit

On the question of undersized fish ...... why ask :-/ Each fish is returned anyway ..... be it undersized , legal or XOS - Ahhhh but thats another controversial topic in its own right::) :-X

Chris

Chris,

No high horse here, but you put up the opinion and don't want others to respond. Putting labels on people as in youR comment above is not on.

No one calling you names or labels, just comments that are real.

You know why the question on undersize fish, if you can label people as trollers and their fish (legally caught and size) should not count, how then can undersize fish be eligible for entry in a competition. That is fair comment.

I like and enjoy all types of fishing and respect everyones right to fish his/her way so long as they do it legally.

Trev

NAGG
24-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Chris,

No high horse here, but you put up the opinion and don't want others to respond. Putting labels on people as in youR comment above is not on.

No one calling you names or labels, just comments that are real.

You know why the question on undersize fish, if you can label people as trollers and their fish (legally caught and size) should not count, how then can undersize fish be eligible for entry in a competition. That is fair comment.

I like and enjoy all types of fishing and respect everyones right to fish his/her way so long as they do it legally.

Trev

Gee ... It was insinuated that I'm a boaster , discriminator & described as elitist & you dont like labels::)
Calling someone a troller - is just a desription ( not a label) .... no different to fly fishoe! ....... You can call me a "CASTER" if you like ...... some may say tosser ;D

Undersized fish (barra) during a tournament are eligable - Why ? - because they are only measured & photographed - (all released) , no different to what happens day in day out ........ If they were put in a live well (like bass & bream comps) - you'd have a problem .

Chris

Awoonga
24-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Gee ... It was insinuated that I'm a boaster , discriminator & described as elitist & you dont like labels::)
Calling someone a troller - is just a desription ( not a label) .... no different to fly fishoe! ....... You can call me a "CASTER" if you like ...... some may say tosser ;D

Undersized fish (barra) during a tournament are eligable - Why ? - because they are only measured & photographed - (all released) , no different to what happens day in day out ........ If they were put in a live well (like bass & bream comps) - you'd have a problem .

Chris My ten cents worth Chris only the ABT events ...The Bassin events ...The Barra/basstastic.... and the Minnibucks events only legal fish count..

NAGG
24-12-2008, 11:18 AM
My ten cents worth Chris only the ABT events ...The Bassin events ...The Barra/basstastic.... and the Minnibucks events only legal fish count..

Thanks Trev

It doesn't matter really ...... everyone fishes under the same rules

besides ..... i much prefer catching big barra :P

Have a great Chrissy Trev

cheers

chris

nipsta
24-12-2008, 12:38 PM
I WAS JUST THINKING (under the bed)

HEY WITH THE STRONG SUPPORT FOR TROLLING ......... We could turn the Mondy Muster into a trolling event::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

sorry you guys ....:LMAO: :devil:

PS ..... My post count is ticking - keep it going 5000 posts before 2009

it mighjt have to be the trolling muster for us ones who are suppose to get the snip i hope yous havent wussed out on me yet lol:P

nipsta
24-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks Trev

It doesn't matter really ...... everyone fishes under the same rules

besides ..... i much prefer catching big barra :P

Have a great Chrissy Trev

cheers

chris
yes i know you do but whitey catchs the biggest lol and on a old reel too( go the abu 6000) still one of the best made ) that you reckon wouldnt hold up how do ya feel chris like that song low low low low ( i reckon thats why ya got to make sure you get a bigger one casting got to beat whitey lol
i reckon he would even beat ya trolling too
all serious the winner is fishing isnt it we all love it in all shapes or form please lets not end up like the american with egos beyond control no matter who you are or what you do or who is the best we all end up with the same result
bad IBD or( loose the state of origin ) lol damm its great being a queenslander

TonyM
24-12-2008, 01:22 PM
it mighjt have to be the trolling muster for us ones who are suppose to get the snip i hope yous havent wussed out on me yet lol:P

If it means I can't cast....:whip: :-/:-/:-/ ;D

Steve B
24-12-2008, 02:25 PM

Hey Simon,.

I had forgotten about that plan....Sarah hasn't

I am still in mate:'( Not looking forward to it!!

I just have to stock up on frozen peas!!;) ;D And beer. We can troll around together......bring on the handline comp!!;)

steve

nipsta
24-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Hey Simon,.

I had forgotten about that plan....Sarah hasn't

I am still in mate:'( Not looking forward to it!!

I just have to stock up on frozen peas!!;) ;D And beer. We can troll around together......bring on the handline comp!!;)

steve
yeah well have to see if they do it in bundy i suppose i gather 1300 docto snip aint in gin gin but for sure im troll just so i can be on the water after the recovery time

PaulMark
24-12-2008, 03:04 PM
:DIf you've travelled a fair distance to fish a river/impoundment wherever,its usually a planned and looked for occasion so if you've spent time and good money and have had no luck all weekend and you get a ripper fish on the troll,that would obviously make your weekend/week whatever.So.on that score of course trolling should count.Lets face it,theres a rod,reel,line,lure involved,you've still got to get it to the boat and who's to say it won't head towards some kind of structure, its fishing isn't it.So long as your not using a net,except a landing net,go girl get amongst them.Just my two bobs worth,Merry Christmas all.:)
Paulo

Dick Pasfield
24-12-2008, 05:34 PM
This is a case of playing the ball not the man. Trolling is linked to inexperienced anglers therefore 'trollers' are often stereotyped and the technique tends to get unfairly denegrated. Putting people in boxes based on technique tends to be the way of human nature but it doesn't make it right.

To suggest a fish's value is reduced based purely on the method of presenting the lure to the fish seems somewhat odd.

I think it was OK to suggest (as it was it a previous thread) that the number of barras are so plentiful now in some places anyone (experianced or not) can go out and get a big one therefore the iconic status of the metre fish is no longer as meaningful as it once was. Where the logic falls down is asociating that loss of value to a technique when there other more relevent factors involved.

Tropicaltrout
24-12-2008, 06:57 PM
yeah well have to see if they do it in bundy i suppose i gather 1300 docto snip aint in gin gin but for sure im troll just so i can be on the water after the recovery time

Not me mate bloody trolling sooks....;D ;D I will tie a lure on the end and flick it just wrap a ice pack around the hangers...;D ;D

Yeah I am soon just got to get through summer I got barra trips to do!;)

catch_n_cod
24-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi guys,
Each to their own, but for me casting it is. Trolling is now comparable to bait fishing in my mind, to dull. If i'm going to fall asleep I may as well do it in a bed where there is no danger of costing me money( loosing gear, running into stuff or other boats). Maybe one day things will change but its not my current agenda.

Cheers,
Todd.

Big_Ren
24-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Do whatever rocks ya boat boys (and girl):) If you are casting your arms off and are not coming up trumps then why not troll if you have a sneaky plan that just might work. Vice versa...if you are trolling (whether asleep (Tony) or not) and it is not working on the day...change tact...you'd be mad not to.

As for legal/undersize, I'm C&R 150% so it doesn't matter two hoots to me...they all go back to fight another day anyway....thrill of the hunt, mateship, a few laughs and de-stressing, and of course brag rights at the end of the day...to whoever will listen to ya...all in the name of jest and motivation of course.

My personal preference.....casting, but I will troll any day of the week if that's what's paying the wages on the day. Why rule yourself out of all legitimate fish catching options...bit like refusing to play the reverse sweep in a cricket game because the traditionalists say you should not be able to score runs that way.

All legal options are merit-worthy...each of us just have different applications to reach our goals.....mine this year is barra on fly.

Cheers and a safe and Merry Christmas everyone.

Paul

NAGG
25-12-2008, 10:35 AM
yes i know you do but whitey catchs the biggest lol and on a old reel too( go the abu 6000) still one of the best made ) that you reckon wouldnt hold up how do ya feel chris like that song low low low low ( i reckon thats why ya got to make sure you get a bigger one casting got to beat whitey lol
i reckon he would even beat ya trolling too
all serious the winner is fishing isnt it we all love it in all shapes or form please lets not end up like the american with egos beyond control no matter who you are or what you do or who is the best we all end up with the same result
bad IBD or( loose the state of origin ) lol damm its great being a queenslander

You are so cruel Simon ...... fancy rubbing my face in it like that!
My tactic to overcome whitey is keep my mouth shut , letting him drive the leccy when hooked up & to land / net his own fish ;D ...... Ohh but I will tie his knots for him - my old granny showed me a easy one to tie:LOL:

Chris

NAGG
25-12-2008, 11:11 AM
OK OK ..... we all know that trolling is a popular legitimate method & probably the most effective means of catching barra ..... & big barra too.

But tell us honestly .... hand on the heart stuff ...... dump the political correctness BS::)
Who here seriously considers their trolled up barra to be as rewarding as one that is caught while casting lure / fly (regardless of size) .....

How many of us have a trolled barra as their PB ???

This will be interesting

Chris

Note : My first 2 meter + barra were caught trolling ( up till 1 month ago a trolled barra was my PB) - On the Nag scale - the 105 rated because of the situation ( trolling a weed edge at night , taken using a drop back technique , fought with 10kg of weed over the braid ------- but more so because It was my first impoundment barra .

catch_n_cod
25-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi guys,

I would have to say that most of my fish caught casting have been more rewarding, its just a personal choice thing (they were pretty good at the time but as times have changed so have my goals). In saying that though the next barra will feel pretty good as it has been a lean year with not enough trips and the last 2 were doughnuts.:end:

My current pb barra was a trolled fish but I plan to do something about that in 09.

Cheers,
Todd.

Dick Pasfield
25-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Nagg, not having a shot but I believe you're limiting your perception of trolling to too narrow a field, be it one you're familiar with. I think that there a number of different barramundi environments and it'd be a fair call to say that we all may not as familiar with them all as we are with our 'home turf'. I often struggle to visualise impoundment fishing, the differences appear to be legion compared to river fishing.

To answer your questions

Who here seriously considers their trolled up barra to be as rewarding as one that is caught while casting lure / fly (regardless of size) .....

Yes, I do but my question to any one who’d question that choice would be “Why wouldn’t it be, given the situation and the predicament that I and the fish put each other into”.

No, my two equal sized PB’s come from live baiting with two others a couple of cms behind behind, one caught on a mullet fillet. After that would come trolling and casting captures with those PB's being of equal size. Once again the situation made all these fish’s capture a challenge, once again best judged by being there8-).

nipsta
25-12-2008, 04:28 PM
You are so cruel Simon ...... fancy rubbing my face in it like that!
My tactic to overcome whitey is keep my mouth shut , letting him drive the leccy when hooked up & to land / net his own fish ;D ...... Ohh but I will tie his knots for him - my old granny showed me a easy one to tie:LOL:

Chris

sorry chris had to do it for whitey benifit i reckon it will be good to see who gets the biggest bass at march i know where my money is
hope you had a nice chrissie day as i did now recovery time

nipsta
25-12-2008, 04:37 PM
i have to say most of mine have come from casting but my latest pb was as hard a fish to land as the one i got in may on the cast the 117 cm was a bit easier to prepare for not cause of size but the chance to only have to deal with the one rod at the time so when the fish hit i was ready the big girl i got in novemebr the $1.26 was not a easy task i had 2 other rods to deal with i had the fire the outboard up and chase to get some liune back i had to get the lines in the get set with the leccy to fight i then had to get another boat over to help me lift her in to my boat so yeah either way there a hard fighter and what every way you them to the boat its all good now i reckon ii got a feeling why alot have a prob with a pb from trolling as a lot of fellows who put the time in to catch one see a old couple come along and jag a horse on the troll but lets face whos to sya if you cast near that fish you would hook it anyway the fact is trolling allows lures to get to the depth casting dont so they have there benifits

NAGG
25-12-2008, 08:06 PM
sorry chris had to do it for whitey benifit i reckon it will be good to see who gets the biggest bass at march i know where my money is
hope you had a nice chrissie day as i did now recovery time

Thanks mate ...... did the family thing last night ( sore head this morning) - went breamin this arvo- & santa was good to me :)

Chris

nipsta
25-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks mate ...... did the family thing last night ( sore head this morning) - went breamin this arvo- & santa was good to me :)

Chris
crieky havinf a sessh chrissy day lucky bugger i gunner go tomorrow night if we dont get storms

NAGG
25-12-2008, 10:01 PM
crieky havinf a sessh chrissy day lucky bugger i gunner go tomorrow night if we dont get storms

Yeh mate ..... had a Chrissy day sesh ( my first since the ABT) - I put a report up in Estuary
With a little luck ...... I'll have a report to put up (Hawkes nest ) ...... i'll pick the littlies tomorrow ..... & then5 days of breamin / & hopefully snapper on placcy's

Chris

NAGG
25-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Nagg, not having a shot but I believe you're limiting your perception of trolling to too narrow a field, be it one you're familiar with. I think that there a number of different barramundi environments and it'd be a fair call to say that we all may not as familiar with them all as we are with our 'home turf'. I often struggle to visualise impoundment fishing, the differences appear to be legion compared to river fishing.

To answer your questions

Yes, I do but my question to any one who’d question that choice would be “Why wouldn’t it be, given the situation and the predicament that I and the fish put each other into”.

No, my two equal sized PB’s come from live baiting with two others a couple of cms behind behind, one caught on a mullet fillet. After that would come trolling and casting captures with those PB's being of equal size. Once again the situation made all these fish’s capture a challenge, once again best judged by being there8-).

Sorry Dick ........ I feel there is a significant difference with tidal trolling for barra & impoundmet trolling .......... The tidal scenario changes by the minute - impoundment dynamics fluctuate but to a far lesser extent IMO ( they do change)

Impoundment barra do not have to worry about sharks & crocs too

Chris

PS ..... I certainly have a greater respect for wild barra over impoundment ....... even though both offer their own challenge

goddy100
26-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Nagg,
as to your question, I believe you answered yourself, when you said.

"Note : My first 2 meter + barra were caught trolling ( up till 1 month ago a trolled barra was my PB) - On the Nag scale - the 105 rated because of the situation ( trolling a weed edge at night , taken using a drop back technique , fought with 10kg of weed over the braid ------- but more so because It was my first impoundment barra . "

What made them special captures? The difficulty factor and because it was your first fish. As you catch more fish, you look at ways to refine your techniques. You will think of attack stratagies and put them into place, and when they work, bingo, your onto a winner. I still enjoy trolling and have been refining my methods for many years, but I would have to say my PB fish was casting. It was from a bank (no boat) in a remote river seldom fished in the gulf, after a 15km hike into the area. A lot of factors went into getting this fish which made it special. I followed it the next weekend with several metre + fish from a dam, and even though of an equal size and all caught casting, the first capture was special.

I think most serious fishos will use a variety of techniques that suit the day. Less skilled (or less keen) will stick to whatever is easiest and worked before, and for a lot of them it means trolling. When I first fished PF, my sounder broke, it was blowing a gale and it was unfamiliar territory. I cast for 1 1/2 days for not even a tap, so trolled some points and got a 98cm just before I left. I was happy with this and it made my trip, especially when several others back at the camp had spent the week there for nothing.

Goddy

So in answer, my pb is from casting, but that is because I have dropped every big fish caught on the troll so far and haven't been able to beat it.::)

NAGG
26-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Nagg,
as to your question, I believe you answered yourself, when you said.

"Note : My first 2 meter + barra were caught trolling ( up till 1 month ago a trolled barra was my PB) - On the Nag scale - the 105 rated because of the situation ( trolling a weed edge at night , taken using a drop back technique , fought with 10kg of weed over the braid ------- but more so because It was my first impoundment barra . "

What made them special captures? The difficulty factor and because it was your first fish. As you catch more fish, you look at ways to refine your techniques. You will think of attack stratagies and put them into place, and when they work, bingo, your onto a winner. I still enjoy trolling and have been refining my methods for many years, but I would have to say my PB fish was casting. It was from a bank (no boat) in a remote river seldom fished in the gulf, after a 15km hike into the area. A lot of factors went into getting this fish which made it special. I followed it the next weekend with several metre + fish from a dam, and even though of an equal size and all caught casting, the first capture was special.

I think most serious fishos will use a variety of techniques that suit the day. Less skilled (or less keen) will stick to whatever is easiest and worked before, and for a lot of them it means trolling. When I first fished PF, my sounder broke, it was blowing a gale and it was unfamiliar territory. I cast for 1 1/2 days for not even a tap, so trolled some points and got a 98cm just before I left. I was happy with this and it made my trip, especially when several others back at the camp had spent the week there for nothing.

Goddy

So in answer, my pb is from casting, but that is because I have dropped every big fish caught on the troll so far and haven't been able to beat it.::)

I think everyone is going to have certain captures that they rate - be it trolled , cast - whatever.......... However that 105 while it rates- it falls short of many others that I have caught casting & that would include lots of fish in the 90s.
The 104 that I caught during the ABT on bass gear - is clearly a stand out.

But I know what you are saying - & while I personally dislike trolling (for anything) ..... It is still there as an option.

Chris

Tropicaltrout
26-12-2008, 08:20 AM
OK OK ..... we all know that trolling is a popular legitimate method & probably the most effective means of catching barra ..... & big barra too.

But tell us honestly .... hand on the heart stuff ...... dump the political correctness BS::)

This will be interesting

Chris

Note : My first 2 meter + barra were caught trolling ( up till 1 month ago a trolled barra was my PB) - On the Nag scale - the 105 rated because of the situation ( trolling a weed edge at night , taken using a drop back technique , fought with 10kg of weed over the braid ------- but more so because It was my first impoundment barra .

I will take my casting one its was less of a fight but in much more appealing country, all fish are fun to catch but how you react to a fish is two different things in the sticks your in defensive mode the whole capture where in the basin areas well noting apart from hooks pulling or a gill rake can bring you un done, I watched a guy last trip brake his rod and still got the fish due to lighter set drags and no structure to worry about... Those who have caught fish in the sticks will know they are a fish with a escape plan and they are in thier enviroment of snags and structure in a basin well yep they go hard but put a bit of drag pressure and you will have a fish without much stress....

Heres a question out of the fish you have caught which fish pops into mind time and time again as your fav battle Mine was not either of the Pbs it was a 112cm fish in H he did me on every snag and even straightened 2 trebbles, it was alot of weaving and coaxing and at one point I was un tangling of a tree and the fish was out in the clear jumping talk about heart pupmping stuff.

Now yours???:D

snodger 08
27-12-2008, 03:49 AM
To be fair dinkum, I still havent caught a barra yet (fingers crossed for Monduran today), so I would rate a legal size barra caught troling or casting. After all, its not how you fish, its actualy being out there havin a go isnt it?
Cheers
Steve

Whitto
27-12-2008, 06:42 AM
To be fair dinkum, I still havent caught a barra yet (fingers crossed for Monduran today), so I would rate a legal size barra caught troling or casting. After all, its not how you fish, its actualy being out there havin a go isnt it?
Cheers
SteveYou are dead right Snodger....it's the occasion the participation it does not matter one iota how you catch your fish.....What u will remember is the first Barra you catch....thats what will keep you returning.......Good Luck on the first Barra.....hope you catch a Snodger.....;D.......Whitto

Tropicaltrout
27-12-2008, 09:26 AM
You are dead right Snodger....it's the occasion the participation it does not matter one iota how you catch your fish.....What u will remember is the first Barra you catch....thats what will keep you returning.......Good Luck on the first Barra.....hope you catch a Snodger.....;D.......Whitto

Yep all joking aside what Whitto says is true you will always remember a be drawn to the Barra by the first capture or even bust off its funny too I am draw not only by the Barra but the place itself, the bush surround and clean country air.

If thats Barra fishin who wouldn't want to be into it..

Nath

Tropicaltrout
28-12-2008, 08:40 AM
i have to say most of mine have come from casting but my latest pb was as hard a fish to land as the one i got in may on the cast the 117 cm was a bit easier to prepare for not cause of size but the chance to only have to deal with the one rod at the time so when the fish hit i was ready the big girl i got in novemebr the $1.26 was not a easy task i had 2 other rods to deal with i had the fire the outboard up and chase to get some liune back i had to get the lines in the get set with the leccy to fight i then had to get another boat over to help me lift her in to my boat so yeah either way there a hard fighter and what every way you them to the boat its all good now i reckon ii got a feeling why alot have a prob with a pb from trolling as a lot of fellows who put the time in to catch one see a old couple come along and jag a horse on the troll but lets face whos to sya if you cast near that fish you would hook it anyway the fact is trolling allows lures to get to the depth casting dont so they have there benifits

There's the difference right there in the sticks you have a sounder to locate temp and thats pretty much it with most sounders in the sticks... you use your vision to spot bait current etc your lure choice is to be choosen by observation of the terrain and what bait you see etc, and yep 1 lonley old rod with a back up on the floor. not 3 or 4 different rods running different lures at all the depths you can get at. I dont see the sport in it... With flickin theres so more varibles to take into considderation with the way you retrive to dept, speed of wind, weed, eddies heavy timber, channels and many others.

Nath

nipsta
28-12-2008, 10:07 PM
There's the difference right there in the sticks you have a sounder to locate temp and thats pretty much it with most sounders in the sticks... you use your vision to spot bait current etc your lure choice is to be choosen by observation of the terrain and what bait you see etc, and yep 1 lonley old rod with a back up on the floor. not 3 or 4 different rods running different lures at all the depths you can get at. I dont see the sport in it... With flickin theres so more varibles to take into considderation with the way you retrive to dept, speed of wind, weed, eddies heavy timber, channels and many others.

Nath
no your not reading it right nath i just saying some of the captures in the stick or close too have come easier then zooming back and forth hoping one of the three rods will get hit its all hard i reckon either way for us cripples i agree on the cast a satisfiying way to get on but hey it all achieves the same goal and my post was only in response to chris who said all and all aside what has been our most satisfying pb fish or biggest one and i have to sya the 1.26 will and should be mine as your 1.23 but my most special is the first one i ever cuaght 82 cm on mono on the cast using a bit of knowlodge i gain from reading a few things about the wind i got her on a point that was acting like a protectent for the barra the bait was in the current going past the point 3 cast and bang i was on same reel whitey got his on also mono line and a lure i had never used a 1m+ halco now thats my most memoriable fish ever as it set up my ibd and i will always remeber the hit

so trolling casting live bait its all fishing to me and i feel im no better then the next bloke just was lucky the day i got the big girl right spot right time techniques only plays a percentage of the part luck comes into the rest for all alnglers

Lovey80
29-12-2008, 04:54 AM
hey Whitto,

;D ;D Steve

Chris,

Steve

Bugger how did I miss this thread until now. I got to this post and thought it was genius. These are the exact type of words I have been trying to say in other arguments but for salt water species. All the doomsdayers concerning saltwater stocks and this is what i have been trying to say. The big difference is there was no new "hot dam" as it was, because we've all been fishing the same big dam for so long! I hate to use the old term about the 10%-90% thing but it is true. Whilst I am a 90% er taking the 10% of fish in the salt there are still that minority that kill it. I certainly believe I would be one of those guys if i had the time to invest.

Sorry for the TOTAL hijack there Nagg but I had to say what was on my mind before i lost the words again.

To your question: I am yet to be in the metre club for salt or fresh as I have not targeted them heavily enough (or at all in fresh). How ever when i do get to one of our fantastic dams I do plan to use trolling heavily until i break the meter just to experience the weight and pull. From there it will be all casting for practice for the real domain that is the salt! A metre Barra is a metre Barra i suppose but it is still dam Barra. My first trip chasing dam Bass was ok (trolling and casting) pleanty of 50+cm Bass in the boat but that will probably be the last Fresh Bass chase i do. I hope the Fresh Barra keeps me coming back! With all the excitement on these pages I guess it will.

Thanks for the chance to rant Nagg!

Cheers

Chris

BR65
29-12-2008, 07:56 AM
My thoughts, for what litle they count?

As fishos, we practice our sport for many reasons, whether it be to put a feed on the table, enjoy the great country we live in, share some time with mates, a myriad of reasons and excuses to drown a worm or flick the latest flash piece of O/S plastic, all in an attempt to fool our finny friends.
Look back to when you first went barra fishing, (Im talking impoundment only here so dont picture the rust water), the holy grail was to land a barra, any barra, didnt matter what size, or how, as long as ya got a fish.
The barra bug bites, and bites hard. You put more time on the water, your experience increases exponentially, as does the amount of "must have" lures, rods and reels strangely enough, you net your first lates calcarifer plus a few more, and soon your new holy grail is not just any old barra, but the mighty metery, 3 and a bit foot of jumping, gill flaring bucket mouthed chrome beastie dancing thru your dreams each night.
Theres your new challange, the magic meter mark, just a number on a mat, but all those 97's, 98's and 99's dont count, great fish, but not the metery. You'll do anything, try anything to put the bogey to bed, then one day it happens, youve got your metery. Some do it on their first trip (only down hill from there fellas Im afraid lol), me - it took a lot of trips and a lot of 90+ fish before it happened, and Ive got to admit I danced a little jig of joy up the bow of the quinny when I finally slid the net under that big girl!
Ok, meter mark has been reached, whats the next challange? Because thats what its all about right? The challange! If I wanted to catch barra with minimum time, effort, cost I would go to the barra park at Bli Bli instead of driving the goat track to Gin Gin to tackle the challange.
I think what Im trying to say is with experience and results, your personal expectations evolve. A meter fish is a meter fish, whether it be by trolling or casting, the amount of angler satisfaction, fullfilment and enjoyment is specific to the anglers experience, enviroment and fishing technique employed.
I'd gladly take a metery trolling, and add it to the mental file of big fish I keep up top in the noggin for mental playback on those boring days at work, but thats not my challange, its not how I prefer to target my fish. Now days its about a 120+ caught from the sticks, I can picture it as I type, a criss cross of fallen trees creating a patch of shade, splash of the HB as i flick it deep into the mess of timber, and twitch it down, then the big boil and splash.....
That fish will mean 10 times more to me, when it comes, than the same sized fish trolled up, why, because its my personal challange, my goal that keeps me going back.
cheers
brian

ps
is tieing off to a point and repeatedly casting down the same line for a couple of hours really just stationary trolling;D

hondaguy
29-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Glad to see the efforts of the last 15-20 years of stocking groups are paying off and when the few of us actual put forward the idea of a permit system in the freshwater reveiw paper many a year ago is working. Other wise there would not be a W#NKER of a post of this about if meter plus barra was acceptable if it was trolled up. Nagg I know or hope it is tongue in cheek but people a now spoilt egotists with a rod in their hand.

Tropicaltrout
29-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Glad to see the efforts of the last 15-20 years of stocking groups are paying off and when the few of us actual put forward the idea of a permit system in the freshwater reveiw paper many a year ago is working. Other wise there would not be a W#NKER of a post of this about if meter plus barra was acceptable if it was trolled up. Nagg I know or hope it is tongue in cheek but people a now spoilt egotists with a rod in their hand.

Its funny how people get all uptight about these sort of post they are great, and without post like this well it would be a pretty boring forum, as ha been said and I think all would agree it DOES NOT MATTER how a fish is caught It Bloody counts!!!!:P

Where the varible comes in is it as rewarding... I say No and have had my fair share of go, others say yes and they have had there rant, so the bottom line is we agree to disagree and lets get on with it and go Fishing.;D ;D

Steve B
29-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Went out last night with some mates. My mate had an awesome hook up...big half body out of the water jump....this was a big fish...bricked him in some submerged timber....bit of sneaky work on the electric and we mananged to get her out of the snag....only to stitch us up on another tree.....dammm. goooneski!!!

there was laughing and cursing going everyewhere...we even spilt a beer.....It was a really awesome moment I wont forget...nor will my mates in the boat..............oh yes.....we were trolling;);D

Peter 4.....you may know the area!!!!!

cheers Steve

Peter if you reading this,,,,well done on you session on plastics on that weedbed mate. Your persistance has paid off after a tough run with doughnuts....credit to you and kyle.!!! well done boys.

nipsta
29-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Went out last night with some mates. My mate had an awesome hook up...big half body out of the water jump....this was a big fish...bricked him in some submerged timber....bit of sneaky work on the electric and we managed to get her out of the snag....only to stitch us up on another tree.....dammm. goooneski!!!

there was laughing and cursing going everyewhere...we even split a beer.....It was a really awesome moment I wont forget...nor will my mates in the boat..............oh yes.....we were trolling;);D

Peter 4.....you may know the area!!!!!

cheers Steve

Peter if you reading this,,,,well done on you session on plastics on that weed bed mate. Your persistence has paid off after a tough run with doughnuts....credit to you and kyle.!!! well done boys.

bugger justify that Steve if trolling was relaxing and it was fun and well worth it by the sounds it i think everyone i s loosing site of what (like Lyndon says the Aussie way ) fishing and boating is all about relaxation and time away from the stresses of work and i cant think of a better way then trolling or tying off to a tree or leccying around a bay casting placcys or hard bodies in anticapation of what could be i think if everyone treats the fishing like that and not one big ego trip then everyone will enjoy it just that bit better . I know because of fellow fishos like ya self and likes of foxie and nath and fean and whitto and shaneoo and Lyndon (and many others to many to metion ) you take it as it comes and i try to do the same in aspects of my fishing yous have the same sort of approach as me. This is my theory about fishing you have good days and bad days but all in all life is to short to be negative about someones preferred method of fishing if we all did the same thing it would be pretty boring and innovations is what prep ells the sport forward and open mind will in prove your chances of catch that once in a life time fish

cheers
thats all i got to say about this post i said all i can and if it offends any one or doesn't meet there standard then maybe im not the bloke to fishing with . Im of the opinion im know better then the next just a average Joe blo who can type a few words here and then and sits back and enjoys the joys of fishing and living in this wonderfully country of ours

Whitto
30-12-2008, 06:12 AM
I'm extremely disappointed Steve:(......You have your mates on board:D...a bit of sneaky leccie work.....some annoying Monduran Knitting....and at the end of it all you lose what appears to be a big Fish......OK thats fishing happens on a daily basis and won't be the last time and so we move on:-[........BUT (and with a quivering bottom lip) YOU SPILT A BEER:'(..what the hell are you doing.....Now that borders on Blasphemy......;D

Tropicaltrout
30-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Top stuff Steve a good bunch out for a fish awesome stuff. Sorry to hear about the beer but there will be more!!

Steve B
30-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah Whitto and Nath..It was a sad moment in fishing history!! It never stood a chance.....sitting on the gunnel like a beacon. 3 blokes working all over the place trying to extract a barra from the carnage...rod working, electric working.......we all forgot about the basics........the beer!! May it RIP.;D;D

SO trolling is bad!! caused a spilt beer.....I will never troll again:-[:P

Steve

Simon, got ya PM mate...totally agree. All good with me. I will see you when you come up next. or at Borumba.!!!! Or at 1300 DRSNIP !!!!!!!;D

nipsta
30-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah Whitto and Nath..It was a sad moment in fishing history!! It never stood a chance.....sitting on the gunnel like a beacon. 3 blokes working all over the place trying to extract a barra from the carnage...rod working, electric working.......we all forgot about the basics........the beer!! May it RIP.;D;D

SO trolling is bad!! caused a spilt beer.....I will never troll again:-[:P

Steve

Simon, got ya PM mate...totally agree. All good with me. I will see you when you come up next. or at Borumba.!!!! Or at 1300 DRSNIP !!!!!!!;D

yes for sure 1300 doctor snip hope there is one in bundy and i hope the rest are still going through with it and yes borumba for sure if ya can get there
have a good new years all and all ya familys

Magella
31-12-2008, 09:31 AM
One more thought ''if you cast all day for nothing and someone else decides to troll and catches barra who is the better angler ?

Whitto
31-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Because luck plays a part in our Sport the troller in this case is the luckier not the better.....simple as that I reckon JF;D

Magella
31-12-2008, 10:22 AM
So the day when the caster catches more fish than the troller they are just luckier?

Whitto
31-12-2008, 12:30 PM
So the day when the caster catches more fish than the troller they are just luckier? I reckon only in part.....both actions do require skill:P

Yogi65
31-12-2008, 01:06 PM
I think 1/2 points should be awarded

Dick Pasfield
31-12-2008, 01:54 PM
I think 1/2 points should be awarded

Now there's the germ of a great idea, a bureaucracy around recognising the worth of a fish;D.

You could pull together a selection committee (essential criteria for selection would be to have never to seen a barra) of those who know best to determine the worth of a catch.

guidelines could include -

One metre barra caught on basic gear (hand line and bait) = a metre of fish.

The following methods incur a 10% size reduction -
Forgetting the landing net
Casting mindlessly
Tangling Ipod cable with reel handle

20% size reduction -
Live baiting
Trolling mindlessly
Using a threadline on a baitcaster

50% size reduction -
Spilling beer during the capture.
Calling the fish for a catfish.
Catching a catfish (demerit points go straight to the next fish)

The following methods receive a 10% size increase -
Thinking
Remembering to bring the beer

20% size increase -
Casting left hand and winding with the right

50% size increase -
Drinking and not spilling the beer whilst catching a fish (can must be pulled from the esky and cracked after the hook up and finished with tin disposed of before the fish is landed, no one to assist)8-)

Steve B
31-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Dick!!!

Love it mate...I am laughing my A#$e off!!;D

I can see everyone with calculators working out their true PB size!!!!

Add another 10% if its caught in the middle of a cyclone!!!!

Hope old "BILLY" hasnt blown you off the water mate, have a good WA new year!!

cheers Steve

DEANO68
31-12-2008, 02:55 PM
thats a pisser, well thought out dick......:D

DEANO68
01-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Dick!!!

Love it mate...I am laughing my A#$e off!!;D

I can see everyone with calculators working out their true PB size!!!!

Add another 10% if its caught in the middle of a cyclone!!!!

Hope old "BILLY" hasnt blown you off the water mate, have a good WA new year!!

cheers Steve

hey steve, see your boat is up for grabs...ive got 8 grand final offer take it or leave it.....::) ....so whats the new rig gonna be..?????

Steve B
01-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Deano,

I will think about your offer.;)

Might cross to the dark side.......glass and fast!!!!

Had a bit of interest from a few!

Steve

DEANO68
01-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Deano,

I will think about your offer.;)

Might cross to the dark side.......glass and fast!!!!

Had a bit of interest from a few!

Steve

was havin a chat to nath tonite , and we thought you may go that way..
fast that is, we chalked up 3 jacks tonite not a bad start too 09....and yes im lookin for a cheepish boat round that money..the frenzy just a tad out of my range, but 30mill sat nite,8-) might go glass n fast as well....8-)

Steve B
01-01-2009, 09:38 PM
was havin a chat to nath tonite , and we thought you may go that way..
fast that is, we chalked up 3 jacks tonite not a bad start too 09....and yes im lookin for a cheepish boat round that money..the frenzy just a tad out of my range, but 30mill sat nite,8-) might go glass n fast as well....8-)

I know a real good tupperware dish for that kind of cash (mabey a bit more) with 50hp 4stroke Suzuki about 50hrs no salt work....decked out perfect..local fella..I was actually going to downsize it just because of its good history. I think I will go the fasty though.

cheeers steve

aussiebasser
01-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi all
Time to be a little controversial.::)

Now .... with the capture of larger impoundment barra & the question being asked "Is it time to rethink the metery?" - I'd like to pose the question
"Does trolling count ?"

I ask this based on my observation at Monduran last month - I noticed that there seemed to be an almost blase attitude around the camp ground (listening to camp kitchen chat) - Plenty of big (110-125cm) barra were being trolled up in the main basin ...... though not too much caught casting -
additionally & what promted me .... In my travels yesterday - I was shown piccys (on a IPOD type thingy) of 4 barra over 1.2M & 1 at 1.36M all taken during a recent trip to Kinchant & Faust ...... & all on the troll - & what got me was once again the "Oh hum" type of response ..... so matter of fact no real big deal .... do it all the time !
Now .... not wanting to denigrate those that troll for barra - But, Lets face it - a meter + barra caught in the main basin on the troll - just doesn't quite cut it when compared to one caught casting .........
So am I wrong to feel this way ??? (it's not jealousy or elitism - either > I think;) ) Whats your thoughts ???

cheers

Chris

PS ..... My first meter barra was caught trolling:P

Yes, you're wrong to feel this way. If it's not jealousy or elitism, what is it? A metre fish caught trolling fights just as hard as one caught casting. The trees can add another dimension to the fight, but a metre fish is a good fish no matter how you catch it. To insinuate that to troll you must be either injured, lazy or inexperienced is possibly the biggest load of dribble that I've read on this site. Oh, I've caught them both ways and couldn't care less what people think.

DEANO68
01-01-2009, 10:33 PM
I know a real good tupperware dish for that kind of cash (mabey a bit more) with 50hp 4stroke Suzuki about 50hrs no salt work....decked out perfect..local fella..I was actually going to downsize it just because of its good history. I think I will go the fasty though.

cheeers steve

mmmm interested, be up in a couple of weeks may have a look, any more info ???

NAGG
02-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Bugger how did I miss this thread until now. I got to this post and thought it was genius. These are the exact type of words I have been trying to say in other arguments but for salt water species. All the doomsdayers concerning saltwater stocks and this is what i have been trying to say. The big difference is there was no new "hot dam" as it was, because we've all been fishing the same big dam for so long! I hate to use the old term about the 10%-90% thing but it is true. Whilst I am a 90% er taking the 10% of fish in the salt there are still that minority that kill it. I certainly believe I would be one of those guys if i had the time to invest.

Sorry for the TOTAL hijack there Nagg but I had to say what was on my mind before i lost the words again.

To your question: I am yet to be in the metre club for salt or fresh as I have not targeted them heavily enough (or at all in fresh). How ever when i do get to one of our fantastic dams I do plan to use trolling heavily until i break the meter just to experience the weight and pull. From there it will be all casting for practice for the real domain that is the salt! A metre Barra is a metre Barra i suppose but it is still dam Barra. My first trip chasing dam Bass was ok (trolling and casting) pleanty of 50+cm Bass in the boat but that will probably be the last Fresh Bass chase i do. I hope the Fresh Barra keeps me coming back! With all the excitement on these pages I guess it will.

Thanks for the chance to rant Nagg!

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris

We IBDers thrive on hijacks ....... so no appology accepted :o ;D

Hey ..... you go for the metery .... trolling - its a great way to nail one without going through all the pain / frustration of casting - specially till you become familiar with what you need to look for!

Chris

NAGG
02-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Nice to see the discussion continuing 8-)

Now , clearly some people have been offended - & they need not be ? - As I said there is no intention to degenerate/ belittle trolling ....... just to clarify things!

trollling is a personal choice ..... & for some people a relaxing way to tangle with a big barra - Hell standing up on the casting deck , 30Deg + , making over 1000 casts , working the leccy over a 12 hour day is bloody hard work & not every ones cup of tea

This is where my fullfillment comes from impoundment barra fishing - maybe I'm a bit massocistic ....... but standing there eyeballing a big snag & saying to yourself theres gotta be someone home........ Then with hands shaking you make a cast ( & throw it in the trees::) ) or you make the cast GET SMASHED - and all hell breaks loose:P Now this is (IMHO) what you miss with trolling - the juice so to speak. ...... sure you get a hit - If you are holding the rod ...... the fish still jumps , runs , spits hooks... but as you are generally in clearer water ....... Your chances of landing that fish are significantly increased........ & this is my point

Its not elitism / snobbery to think this way ........ just a case of putting yourself in a scenario that is a bit more of a personal challenge.......... For me its not just about landing barra:-/ - but that's my personal choice.........

Chris

darylive
02-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Too late to include a poll?

NAGG
02-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Too late to include a poll?

What question would you ask on the poll ??

Many (most) here agree that it really doesn't matter ..... trolling or cast - but how many will put on the water & troll by choice :-/ ...... Why ? .......

darylive
02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Exactly................................

darylive
02-01-2009, 05:34 PM
If you are having no joy after exhaustive casting would you continue to flog the casting or try trolling as a method of catching a fish?

Is it the case that they might not be biting on the cast but may take a trolled offering?

i.e. use the method most effective on the day or persist with your preferred method regardless.

Perhaps this is called angling? 8-)

Chris, ARE YOU HERE YET? ARE YOU HERE YET? ;)

Whitto
02-01-2009, 06:30 PM
G'Day Chris.....good to see u back.....how were the Bream nice and kind

Barraboy7
02-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Ive just wasted my time and read this thread. Notice the increasing decline of really skilled fishos on here? No wonder with this kind of endless elistst threads, a truly hijacked Chat is Freshwater.
I hope it changes in 2009.
Just let people relax and enjoy fishing, how intense are the people who put up these kind of threads. Make a contribution, not thinly veiled intolerance seeping through wordy witty threads.
Barraboy7

NAGG
02-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Ive just wasted my time and read this thread. Notice the increasing decline of really skilled fishos on here? No wonder with this kind of endless elistst threads, a truly hijacked Chat is Freshwater.
I hope it changes in 2009.
Just let people relax and enjoy fishing, how intense are the people who put up these kind of threads. Make a contribution, not thinly veiled intolerance seeping through wordy witty threads.
Barraboy7

Sorry you feel this way Barraboy ........ I guess yours is not such a thinly veiled remark though:( . Now for the benefit of all - please start typing::)........... Pearls of Wisdom

Chris

PS ....... Intolerance seeping through :-/ :huh2: :huh: :sad: :stunned: :shocked:

NAGG
02-01-2009, 09:39 PM
G'Day Chris.....good to see u back.....how were the Bream nice and kind

Hi Whitto ........ I had a bit of fun ( difficult!) I fished some tough conditions & structure ....... with reasonable results ( more memorable for - the ones that got away::) than ones landed .......... )

Chris

NAGG
02-01-2009, 09:54 PM
If you are having no joy after exhaustive casting would you continue to flog the casting or try trolling as a method of catching a fish?

Is it the case that they might not be biting on the cast but may take a trolled offering?

i.e. use the method most effective on the day or persist with your preferred method regardless.

Perhaps this is called angling? 8-)

Chris, ARE YOU HERE YET? ARE YOU HERE YET? ;)

Daryl

Let me put it this way ........ When I go fly fishing for trout & I have a bad day - I dont throw on a celta or tassie devil :( same as >
If I have a bad day luring bream - I dont throw out a yabby or worm. :(

Maybe its just me & what I believe "angling" is

Chris

Disclaimer : The authors views are no way intended to offend anyone that uses spinners or lures for trout or bait for Bream

darylive
03-01-2009, 12:06 PM
I hear you Chris,

Perhaps it is our intention on the day and each to their own. :-/

i.e.
To catch a fish by a certain method: be that Trolling, Casting, SPs, or HBs, or spinners etc. and stick at it regardless ;D

or maybe even what gear? spin, overhead? slow or fast? rip or jig?
or the priority is to catch a fish and therefor work out what works best on the day; :D

OR

Some times just to 'go fishing' for fun 8-) with no other plans.

All good reasons to go fishing as far as I am concerned!
and frankly I am pleased some punters are casting while I am trolling and some are trolling when I am casting still others are content to sit in the boat with the esky dangling an unbaited line, or for that matter mind the camp.

More importantly most are happy to compare notes and possibly try something different tomorrow.

PEACE ON YOU ALL....:happy:

NAGG
03-01-2009, 01:00 PM
I hear you Chris,

Perhaps it is our intention on the day and each to their own. :-/

i.e.
To catch a fish by a certain method: be that Trolling, Casting, SPs, or HBs, or spinners etc. and stick at it regardless ;D

or maybe even what gear? spin, overhead? slow or fast? rip or jig?
or the priority is to catch a fish and therefor work out what works best on the day; :D

OR

Some times just to 'go fishing' for fun 8-) with no other plans.

All good reasons to go fishing as far as I am concerned!
and frankly I am pleased some punters are casting while I am trolling and some are trolling when I am casting still others are content to sit in the boat with the esky dangling an unbaited line, or for that matter mind the camp.

More importantly most are happy to compare notes and possibly try something different tomorrow.

PEACE ON YOU ALL....:happy:

Well said Daryl

Fortunately for me ...... there are so many options / tactics / variations to try on barra that so far I've avoided doing the "T" thing as a means of catching barra.............. but it is always there as an option

Chris

JACK_O
03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
results count and if trolling is getting better results why try the hard way for the exact same result

Fitzy
03-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Of course trolling counts.

If its legal, then its should be respected. If someone dont like it, don't do it. If you disagree with a legal means of fishing methodoloy then put pen to paper & write a submission to the relvant fisheries review.

I could say that if a fish isnt caught using your left hand while standing on one foot doesn't count. (I've done it BTW) but it shows the idiocy of creating "classes" in fishing.

Just go fishing....

fitzy..

Dick Pasfield
03-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Of course trolling counts.

If its legal, then its should be respected. If someone don't like it, don't do it. If you disagree with a legal means of fishing methodology then put pen to paper & write a submission to the relevant fisheries review.

I could say that if a fish isn't caught using your left hand while standing on one foot doesn't count. (I've done it BTW) but it shows the idiocy of creating "classes" in fishing.

Just go fishing....

fitzy..

Yes, that encapsulates my views on this issue pretty accurately and whilst it could be argued that the thread got the participation of plenty of people unfortunately the usual outcome of these discussions is a reduction of good posts in the future because classes are created in some peoples eyes whether that was the intent or not.

flatzie
03-01-2009, 06:11 PM
My thoughts exactly, and fully agree with the Moderator and what Dick says.
When will these mindless threads cease. Fishing is for fun, not intense endless discussions about whether who caught a fish by whatever means is fair and square. If its legally caught, with full preparation and anticipation like all our fishing trips, why even bother asking such a question.
Unless your so full of your own elitist and proud ideas that you use a forum like this to show your pride, ignorance and complete intolerance of other people. Yes a meter fish is desirable, but who set the mark at a 1 meter barra as the epitome of success, greatness and achievement for everyone else. Ive caught 85cm fish that fought way harder than some metre plus fish!
Whoever started this, have a think, "Different is not wrong" or "Celebrate diversity". This kind of crap will drive away sensible people from making a good contribution in the future as Dick mentions.
Flatzie

darylive
03-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Well said Daryl

Fortunately for me ...... there are so many options / tactics / variations to try on barra that so far I've avoided doing the "T" thing as a means of catching barra.............. but it is always there as an option

Chris

Interesting?

I quite enjoy selecting a prime section of water say along a drop off or line of sticks, even over a point and having a few runs on the troll. I think the choice of tactic is part of the game. What eva floats your Barra.

I'll give you this Chris you were right when you started with the line
"Time to be controversial"

Barraboy7
03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Interesting?

I quite enjoy selecting a prime section of water say along a drop off or line of sticks, even over a point and having a few runs on the troll. I think the choice of tactic is part of the game. What eva floats your Barra.

I'll give you this Chris you were right when you started with the line
"Time to be controversial"

Not controversial, but more as the Moderator said, Idiotic.
Barrboy7

NAGG
03-01-2009, 06:54 PM
When will these mindless threads cease. Fishing is for fun, not intense endless discussions about whether who caught a fish by whatever means is fair and square. If its legally caught, with full preparation and anticipation like all our fishing trips, why even bother asking such a question.
Unless your so full of your own elitist and proud ideas that you use a forum like this to show your pride, ignorance and complete intolerance of other people. Yes a meter fish is desirable, but who set the mark at a 1 meter barra as the epitome of success, greatness and achievement for everyone else. Ive caught 85cm fish that fought way harder than some metre plus fish!
Whoever started this, have a think, "Different is not wrong" or "Celebrate diversity". This kind of crap will drive away sensible people from making a good contribution in the future as Dick mentions.
Flatzie

flatzie ........ can you please point out where I have been Intolerant :-/
Ignorant of What :-/ Its not as if I have not trolled & caught fish ........ I did ... but I just quickly moved on

I keep hearing the word elitist ........ There is nothing elitist in casting (a high percentage do it !)

who said anything about trolling being wrong :-/

Barra fishing is fun ..... but we all do it for different reasons! ....... & all get something different from it! ........ these a personal choices

Clearly my mindset differs from others on this topic

As for scaring sensible people away .......... Why would it:-/ - There has been no personal attacks - Besides its only someones opinion::) Just as you have expressed yours

Cheers

Chris

DEANO68
03-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Flatzie

oh come on you lot , the question was asked and many different answers were given, its not an elitist question at all,just an opinion of all who would like to comment, most of us have never met and prob wont and alot of this is aimed back at nagg mostly, ive met the guy and yes he loves his fishing to a point of near disbelief, always trying different things and doing thousands of miles doing so...i give him cred for the time he puts into his pasion of fishin...the bloke dont like xxxx but he drank a few with me the first time we met..not suckin A. but give the guy a break.it was just a question out for discusion...me i will take a metre any way i can get one, but as the question was asked....i would PREFER mine casting...
THANKS.DEANO.8-)

Tropicaltrout
03-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Let this one sink fellas its all been said and done... it seems as far as method goes we all posess that one thing that make us what we all are Different... cast, troll, bait and fly are all great methods some like one method more the other hence A fishing forum having salt esturay, fresh, offshore etc we are all going to love one a bit more then the other and get a bit more of a reward for doing so...

So at the end of the day we are all right and we are all wrong, I think a thing such as this we loose sight of our ultimate goal . To Go Fishing!

THANKS NATH

NAGG
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
oh come on you lot , the question was asked and many different answers were given, its not an elitist question at all,just an opinion of all who would like to comment, most of us have never met and prob wont and alot of this is aimed back at nagg mostly, ive met the guy and yes he loves his fishing to a point of near disbelief, always trying different things and doing thousands of miles doing so...i give him cred for the time he puts into his pasion of fishin...the bloke dont like xxxx but he drank a few with me the first time we met..not suckin A. but give the guy a break.it was just a question out for discusion...me i will take a metre any way i can get one, but as the question was asked....i would PREFER mine casting...
THANKS.DEANO.8-)

Thanks Deano

I still have nightmares about that xxxx;D
Passion ...... maybe Obsession ( not quite) - It is a challenge for me , specially to be consistent ................. for me , barra fishing is not about numbers or size etc..... Otherwise I would be out there perfecting my trolling technique .

Chris