PDA

View Full Version : Tohatsu's new 115 TLDI

scorpionNQ
23-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Was thinking of upgrading to a new 115 Tohatsu early next year, and I know a couple of Ausfish members already have them, is there any more info anyone can shed as to NOT purchase one of these engines? At the moment it is 3k cheaper than a 115 Suzi/Yammy 4st, although only have a 3 year warranty (same as etec I suppose) the dealer and mechanic up here (whom I have know for 20 years) said they were just about faultless?? I do like 2 stokes, always have, as my current ride has a 2000 model Suzy 115 oil injected 2 stroke, with only 100 hours, it looks and runs like new. However, being older technology and being carburetted, next year I want to fish wider and more often to the outer reefs 200-300kms round trip, and for some reason I feel the urge to do some solo trips. So my piont is upgrade for more economy/range and reliability with piece of mind of having a new engine.

Funny thing is, the wife has already given me the go ahead to upgrade, but I just can't justify $18,500 for the equilivent size hp in a 4 stroke.

I will also be looking at expressions of interest in my 2 stoke suzy.

So any horror stories on the Tohatsu?

Regards,
Lee

Coontakinta
23-12-2008, 12:09 PM
no 115 here, but have the 90.

Sounds like a deisel with the clacker of the injectors, but other than that reckon they are on par with almost everything else, except in price!

Doubt u'll be disappointed

Moonlighter
24-12-2008, 04:49 PM
I agree with Cooka, I also have the 90 TLDI and couldn't be happier.

Make sure you get it propped right - a decent SS model would be best. I believe that Mercury vengeance props fit straight on.

Grant

scorpionNQ
25-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks boys for the heads up. Obviously there are no horror stories to be heard of.

Cheers
Lee

Coontakinta
29-12-2008, 03:55 PM
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boat-review/2161741.aspx

Might be interesting reading for you Scorps

As would this
http://www.fishnet.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76632&highlight=tohatsu+115

However I wouldnt say that this is indicative of the unit. Just an unfortunate incident and I cant recall reading much to suggest its a regular occurance.

In my mind if Tohatsu know of a problem they seem pretty keen to fix it, as was evidenced recently when I received a letter advising me of a recall on the TLDI's to fix a problem that could result in fuel leaking and causing a fire.

As I mentioned above, I doubt you'd be disappointed in your choice but as mentioned also make sure it is propped correctly with a good quality prop.

scorpionNQ
29-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks Coonta for the extra info. I am pretty open minded and am sure ANY new/used engine may have a problem in it's life. This is the only negative story I have actually ever heard about the Tohi's. At least Andrew Norton was fairly impressed with the 115 TLDI. I have already had a chat with my local Tohatsu dealer, and after 20 years of knowing him trust his knowledge and commitment to these engines. Looks like I will be purchasing one next year. However the Mrs said if I get a new engine, she wants a new kitchen. I can live with that.;D
Cheers
Lee

Coontakinta
30-12-2008, 07:26 AM
However the Mrs said if I get a new engine, she wants a new kitchen.

:) :) :) Ha ha ha , guess that means you'll have a great engine and be eating well! Gotta be happy with that!