PDA

View Full Version : Barra Resolutions For 2009

NAGG
22-12-2008, 06:02 AM
Hi IBDers ....... Just a little fun here with the new year just around the corner.

So what are you going to do or change to improve your barra fishing during 2009 - ie: Fish more , new tackle , new tactics , change destinations or even give it all away::)
Based on many of the reports during 08 ....... We might want to ban pastries;)

So over to you !!!!!!

Cheers & a happy IBD Christmas to all

Nagg

Whitto
22-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Chris Im not going to change too much other than catch more Barra and less catties:(....The other thing will be doing Winter trips....Im going to give that a big go next year:D....I've yet to put your concept of Twisted leaders to the test8-)...Im starting to get toer than a Roman sandal at the moment.....Ill be off sometime in early January....can't wait.........Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year Chris and to all Ausfishers (Met and Not Met)....nothing better than a Fire and a Beer or 6...Till next time Whitto

Tropicaltrout
22-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Yeah mate for me its a few trips up the back casting through the night, but yeah just getting away is enough and to meet more blokes(ibd sufferers) like the lot I have met this year what more could ya want.

Merry Fishmas to all and to all a tight line.......

Nath

BR65
22-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Whito, go the winter fishing mate, awesome, I will definately be back there for a go!
Hopefully I will get away from the points fishing Chris, and back to the do or die brawling in the sticks.
Im on the look out for a new stick, something for the timber work, so I will put a bit of time into researching that.
My New Years resolution is to catch a barra in every month of 2009.
cheers
brian

Barry Ehsman
22-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Hi IBDers .......Just a little fun here with the new year just around the corner.

So what are you going to do or change to improve your barra fishing during 2009 - ie: Fish more , new tackle , new tactics , change destinations or even give it all away::)
Based on many of the reports during 08 ....... We might want to ban pastries;)

So over to you !!!!!!

Cheers & a happy IBD Christmas to all

Nagg

Chris call me dumb if you like::) but what does IBD stand for????????

I am getting a new setup for xmas:) Ian Miller rod 5 to 8 kilo, & Curado reel... I know this because i picked it.......

Won't be able to use it on Barra for a while:( :( might have to break it in on some Cod down here.......

Cheers & a merry xmas to all
Baz

NAGG
22-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Chris call me dumb if you like::) but what does IBD stand for????????

I am getting a new setup for xmas:) Ian Miller rod 5 to 8 kilo, & Curado reel... I know this because i picked it.......

Won't be able to use it on Barra for a while:( :( might have to break it in on some Cod down here.......

Cheers & a merry xmas to all
Baz

Hi Baz

I.B.D = Impoundment Barra Disorder ( some say Disease) ........ I first heard Trev (Dr Awoonga) use it back in March ......... Since then we Impoundment barra enthusiasts have been labeled & wear it as a badge of honour.:2vrolijk_08:

So thats it

Cheers

Chris

NAGG
22-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Whito, go the winter fishing mate, awesome, I will definately be back there for a go!
Hopefully I will get away from the points fishing Chris, and back to the do or die brawling in the sticks.
Im on the look out for a new stick, something for the timber work, so I will put a bit of time into researching that.
My New Years resolution is to catch a barra in every month of 2009.
cheers
brian

A barra every month

....... Mate now that sounds like a plan - I might even have to wet a line with you:P

Chris

NAGG
22-12-2008, 09:02 AM
After thinking about my own question ........ I guess even on the back of a good years barra fishing (my first full year) - There are things that I want to improve on next year.

The big one ..... IMPROVE MY BIG FISH CONVERSION RATE! Yeh Yeh I know ... we all loose big fish ........ but for me - I just lost too many:-[ (too much coulda shoulda,woulda ) > Now I know I took a major step forward during Sept with the introduction of twisted leaders ...... which accounts for about 50% of the big girls lost - I now only use Nitro upgrades in my plastics(slick rigs) ....... So they are taken care of - jump offs & spat hooks ::) part of barra fishing.

The other thing is ......... fishing (concentrating) every time a lure is in the water::) It happened at least a dozen times probably more ....... I'd make a cast & say the lure lands (dropping) I'll do something like , turn around & check the sounder , tinker with the leccy , sip a drink or simply wave to someone as they go by - & its during that pause / break in concentration that I would get hit & miss the strike::) >:( ....... I would really like to break the habit - Each cast should be treated like you are expecting a strike ( I do the same thing with ranging casts or first casts) .......... Silly me - sometimes I feel like a goose::)

Aside from that .... I will get the opportunity to fish during Winter & plan to fish right through the year - Starting March:P Not too much required tackle wise .......... So roll on 2009

Chris

birko
22-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Chris

A few things for me to work on.

1. Dont yell out to people during a comp, as it may not be the people you think it is and the joke may well sound like abuse.

2. Get rid of the clips and start tying loops. Only a matter of time before I loose a good fish.

3. Get a tactic happening for deeper water.

4. Learn to read my sounder a lot better so I can capitalise on point 3.

5. Have a few hard body only trips. Im too reliant on plastics and have yet to put serious efforts with hard bodies and hence have little confidence with them.

6. Spend an extra 30 minutes going to faust instead of teemburra to get to know it a lot better.

Hope the festive season is good to you.

Cheers
Birko

NAGG
22-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Chris

A few things for me to work on.

1. Dont yell out to people during a comp, as it may not be the people you think it is and the joke may well sound like abuse.

2. Get rid of the clips and start tying loops. Only a matter of time before I loose a good fish.

3. Get a tactic happening for deeper water.

4. Learn to read my sounder a lot better so I can capitalise on point 3.

5. Have a few hard body only trips. Im too reliant on plastics and have yet to put serious efforts with hard bodies and hence have little confidence with them.

6. Spend an extra 30 minutes going to faust instead of teemburra to get to know it a lot better.

Hope the festive season is good to you.

Cheers
Birko

F^C% yeh ....BL@@&/ Stupid Won&ers .......... I havent forgotten ;D ....... first day of the tour & I cop abuse :-X

Mate some good goals there ....... As you know , there is a time & place for hards & softs .......... Have rods rigged with each 8-)

Have a F^@%3n (F^@%3ny) great Chrissy ;)

Chris

TinarooTriumph
22-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Chris.

Interesting point you raise e.g. concentration. Like what you have said about tinkering with sounder, looking about, pretending your on cloud 9 and then you raise a fish... love it. Tell me how many times you have caught a fish when you have been seriously concentrating, and I mean counting twitches, increasing the stranglehold on the pistol grip of your Baitcast Rod, waiting for that strike and all that weight to jump onboard. Too much concentration is a killer. Striking technique is more important then waiting for the fishy and then trying to do too much with it which can happen. The more time you spend on Monduran and Awoonga next year when you move to Brisvegas you will know what I mean. You should have an increased strike rate from fishing more and you will discover the right and wrong way to approach a feeding fish at that crucial moment. I was in the same frame of mind this exact time last year, and tried telling myself that concentration was the key when infact all it did was drain my mental energy and drive. A good angler will set hooks into a fish everytime they least expect it. That line comes from watching the best anglers at work.

Resolutions for 2009... spend as less time on Ausfish as I can, aim for a meterey per fortnight average starting on the 1st January 2009 and travel to these Southern Impoundments for a look see.

Cheers

Theo

Tropicaltrout
22-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Oh I have one more, To get my mat out there and on the shelves.

Nath

NAGG
22-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Chris.

Interesting point you raise e.g. concentration. Like what you have said about tinkering with sounder, looking about, pretending your on cloud 9 and then you raise a fish... love it. Tell me how many times you have caught a fish when you have been seriously concentrating, and I mean counting twitches, increasing the stranglehold on the pistol grip of your Baitcast Rod, waiting for that strike and all that weight to jump onboard. Too much concentration is a killer.
Cheers

Theo

Full concentration ...... nearly everytime I get a double hit :P ...... sometime you dont connect though:(

No .... I know what you are saying - & its beyond what I'm talking about!. For me its having the hand on the reel handle ...... & not picking my nose or scratching my balls (not at the same time) ...... while ever that lure is in the water;D
I've caught plenty of barra after several hours of fruitless casting ....... But only as I was in a position to react & strike effectively (I still may have been miles away in a day dream) - However when you turn around or take your hand off the reel - you are not in a position to react ............ & realistically I'm talking fishing plastics!

Chris

NAGG
22-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Oh I have one more, To get my mat out there and on the shelves.

Nath

EXCUSE ME :-/ ..... now in English !

Tropicaltrout
22-12-2008, 06:47 PM
I did show a few but yes I have a new idea and between me and truth mat it should be out in 09 with a bit of luck

BR65
22-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Bring it Nath, good luck brother!

TonyM
22-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Good luck with it Nath - I think it's a winner mate ;)

For me my goal for next year is simple! I aim to be on the water more, and as I'm spending the end of 08 and beginning of 09 on the water at Mondy at least I'm off to a good start!

Zuke has been serviced, trailer fixed, new batteries and wiring installed, new leader system to try out (Thanks Paul!), New camping gear, bow mount sounder installed, rods and reels serviced/respooled, look out Barra here I come! :P:P:P

Have a very fishy Christmas!
Tony

BR65
22-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Same to you Tony, be safe mate

cheers
brian

nipsta
22-12-2008, 10:18 PM
me i have a few
1 catch another big girl (maybe)
2 get up too a few other dams
3 enjoy the fun of fishing allround in a stress free enviroment
4 winter barra trips also

other then that to all have a awsome chrissy and be good to the man in the big red suit i still hoping he brings me a new boat LoL:)

mylestom
23-12-2008, 05:03 AM
New Year Resolution.

1. Enjoy my time on the water

2. See above

Merry Christmas to all and a bright and rewarding 2009

Regards

Trev

Whitto
23-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year....too your and the better half Trev....will be looking forward to having a closer look at the new outfit particulaly the E-Tec....I guess with the wait you have had your saying the same thing8-) Whitto

NAGG
23-12-2008, 08:31 PM
New Resolution ....... NOT TO START ANY CONTROVERSIAL THREADS IN 2009

Maybe ;)

Obi _ Wan
23-12-2008, 09:31 PM
2009----- What will i do? ::)

Well for a start i will do more of what i have done in 2008 ;D

With one exception!!!!---- I might just try Smokie Prawn Lures at Doom Valley ::)

Will try and hit Mondy a few times or six, only been there once! ;D

And above all else i would like to wish all you fellow IBD'ers a Very Merry Christmas and a Very Sucessful Barra 2009 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

All the very Best,

John.

BR65
24-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Same to you John, might catch up on the water some wher enext year witha bit of luck

cheers
brian

catch_n_cod
24-12-2008, 09:41 PM

Maybe ;)
Chris,
Things could be dull on here without a bit of controversy every once in a while.

Barra resolutions;

1. Get out heaps more to tangle with the big girls (barra).
2. Get b*tt into gear and get to Mondy Muster.
3. Meet some Ausfishers, (See no 2).
4. Make more money in less time to make all of the above easier.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy Barra 2009.:)

Cheers,
Todd.

Big_Ren
24-12-2008, 10:08 PM

Maybe ;)

Stop being a puss Chris.......should I fetch you a saucer of warm milk?;D

Merry Christmas/Hanaka etc bud.

Cheers
Paul

NAGG
25-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Stop being a puss Chris.......should I fetch you a saucer of warm milk?;D

Merry Christmas/Hanaka etc bud.

Cheers
Paul

Lets stick with the Christmas Spirit - A saucer of egg nogg:beer:

All the Best Paul

Chris

Hardb8
25-12-2008, 11:51 PM
G'day all,
Things I hope to do in 09.

#1...I will be tryin some new rods and reels I have stashed away this year.

#2...Continue my efforts in persuing the ultimate leader system.

#3...Take a meter+ fish of the top.

#4...Try to go 120cm or over casting.

#5...Spend some quality time throwin some big swimb8's.

Cheers. B8.

Oh,And one on a buzzb8 would be nice.

NAGG
26-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Well all you IBDers

I hope everyone has a great 2009 -

I'm off to do a weeks fishing up at beautiful Hawkes Nest :P ...... hopefully get some of those big rack bream - lots of options

So an early Happy New Year everyone

I'm outta here

talk to ya all next year

Chris

darylive
27-12-2008, 09:40 PM
did some one say more tackle? How good are fishing store gift vouchers?

I though I would put mine towards a new spinner for the Barra plastics.

Come on now speak up? :D

As for resolution; :-/

Work out what I really want and target it. 8-)

Work out how much I can afford then chip in the extra to get what I want.

Stream line the gear and the processes, fishing and camping.
I have done away with the plate. Now do I really need the sauce pan or can I heat the stew in the can?

leelee
30-12-2008, 08:12 PM
I guess I woud like to spend more time fishing the dams and fishing with like minded people and get away with some organised trips with these like minded people from here.

I really enjoyed my first time at Monduran and I am slowly building up a few outfits that should help me talke these pond beasts.

Also I can't wait to give my new boat a run up at theses impoundments as well.

Cheers

Lee

Awoonga
04-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Took me a while to think of one.....How about this ! a meter fish every month of 2009

NAGG
04-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Took me a while to think of one.....How about this ! a meter fish every month of 2009

Dont you do that anyway Trev :-/

Cheers

Chris

Awoonga
04-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Dont you do that anyway Trev :-/

Cheers

Chris Chris, l didnt want my resolution to be too hard ...

NAGG
04-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Chris, l didnt want my resolution to be too hard ...

Fair enough .......
A man who is aware of his limitations ;D

darylive
10-01-2009, 02:55 PM
::) Well there is very little I need in the way of outdoor fishing gear. :bandana:

I have already bought a new out fit for 2009 ( Teiwa spinning ). :smug:
I needed one 22 outfits is not nearly enough :wink:.

The other thing I could do with to improve my fishing is a New Computer! :computer:
so I don't miss stuff on Ausfish! :worried2: indoor fishing gear.:mellow:

:shadow:aryl