PDA

View Full Version : Engine upgrade change over price?

Lovey80
22-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Hello all, I recently came close to purchasing a cat that was powered with late model Carbie 90hp Yammies with low hours. I have made an offer on a house now that may prevent that from happening but would like to ask the question anyway.

What roughly do you think the change over/tradein price would be on a set of 115 Suzuki fourstrokes. Does anyone do trade in or would i have to sell outside the purchase of the Suzukies? I know I wouldn't have had the cash to buy the boat and upgrade the donks and wait for the 2 strokes to sell so this part is important. What do you think the yammies would go for considering A1 condition and only had the 1 service if a separate sale was warranted?

Cheers

Chris

FNQCairns
22-12-2008, 05:20 AM
Dunno if this will help much but might help as a start, I have those Yamaha 90s, older engine although every part interchanges, they get good economy, are super reliable but times have moved on, when I was looking expressly for this engine secondhand 2.5 years ago I came across 1 engine 2 years old still unused in crate for $7500 and a few with low hours (up to couple of hundred) at 5.5K to 6.5k. My new engine choice for the boat would have been a 115 4 Zuke if the cost over time numbers came out in the 4 strokes favour still think it's a shame they didnt.

For fuel economy and travel there is not much advantage in the 115s now in your instance cost effectively over any new engine purchases IMO although if you troll lots the 4stroke is a definite advantage.

My boat is 6m and gets 1.8-9km/l on a trip 2 up in offshore trim and cruises at 45/46km/h at 4500rpm.

Personally today if I where to consider another yam 90 I would pay up to $6k, 6.5k outside for it in the condition you state yours are in.

cheers fnq

Dean1
22-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Mate the other way to do it is what I did and advertise your motors and dont buy your new ones untill your existing ones are sold.

I sold my 70 yammies for $7500 for the pair with 380 hrs on em 97 models and took 6 weeks to sell. What year where yours made? Id say $10000 max if their late model.

What sorta cat were you looking at?

Cheers.

Noelm
22-12-2008, 07:43 AM
pretty hard to beat the old Yamaha 90, very light weight, good on fuel and easy as pie to 'tinker" with, what sort of Cat was it? I would reckon that you would be far better off to try to sell the Motors as a pair first off while there where still on the Boat, if you do, then you will be better off at deal time on the others, if not, then go for as much trade as you can get.

Tri N Hard
22-12-2008, 05:22 PM
If the motors are in top condition why not get some use out of them, now fuels come down.The change over would be about $10000 that a shit load of fuel.

Lovey80
23-12-2008, 04:36 AM
Not sure exactly on the year as I only looked at the boat while the owner was not there. They looked like new and he stated they only had 130 hours on them (father looked at it first and forgot to ask) The boat was a 6.2KC.

Tri n hard the reason I would have repowered strait away was that I had planned to do pleanty of trolling and figured that the resale on Carbie 2 strokes would be sweet FA once i got some decent hours on them and i'd go 4st in the end anyway.

A Cat in this size is still my target but may just be 12 months away (sooner if i find a project hull) so guys if you find a 5.2 or 6.2 KC in need of a project im still looking.

cheers

Chris

P.S. whats a pair of 115's fitted worth anyway?

Noelm
23-12-2008, 07:10 AM
might sell you my 6 metre Sharkcat??? would be a great Boat if repowered, or just use the old Fichts untill they die (god knows how long that would be though)

scorpionNQ
23-12-2008, 09:41 AM
I just got a price for a single 115 Suzy fitted - $18,500 and the y said the price is going up due to the dollar

Lovey80
26-12-2008, 05:52 AM
I didnt even know they made a 6m Shark cat. Any photo's Noel? What size donks are on it now?

Cheers

Chris

Noelm
26-12-2008, 02:32 PM
yep, 6M with Pods, current Motors 115HP Fichts, with high hours, but still go like a dream.