PDA

View Full Version : anchor rope

Benny01
21-12-2008, 10:19 AM
just wondering what people in smaller boats do with anchor rope. I have a 4.2 open dinghy and am always pissed at my anchor rope.

I was thinking or using a hole saw to cut out a bit in the part over the anchor well(dunno what its called) and running the rope through there. does that sound dodgy??

i only fish in 4m of water maximum but i see some people fish the brissy river in like 14m so what do they do with there rope .

trueblue
21-12-2008, 10:21 AM
probably need a photo and further description to understand what the problem is

Benny01
21-12-2008, 10:35 AM
problem is just anchor rope gettin tangled and knotted and being a pain in the ass

trueblue
21-12-2008, 10:57 AM
maybe take your anchor off and then motor out into a clear area and let all of your anchor rope out and trail it behind you for a while and get all of the twists out of it

then retrieve it all and lay it neatly into your anchor well in a figure 8

should retrieve nicely if there are no twists and kinks in it

many people put out 60++ metres when offshore, and it goes out and comes back nicely

cheers

Mick

bigjimg
21-12-2008, 11:08 AM
I had a 4.2 bluefin and i just had a plastic rectangular storage crate that fitted between the front thwart and the bow shelf.I had 50m of 10mm rope and 2.5 m of chain and anchor set up no probs.Life jackets in under the bow plate on the shelf.Jim

Horse
21-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Get one of these from BIAS etc and cut it into your foredeck

http://www.biasboating.com.au/images/PRODUCT/medium/936.jpgProblem solved;D

dnej
21-12-2008, 11:23 AM
http://www.santmarine.com.au/images/stories/products/anchor_wells/08-359.jpgHow would one of these go for you
David

dnej
21-12-2008, 11:25 AM
http://www.bla.com.au/images/ProductGroup/P395350.jpgThis is how they look installed
David. BLA have them

dnej
21-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Sorry Horse, Got to laugh eh.
Must have been doing posts at same time
David

fez
21-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Milk crate is a cheap temporary option as well.

Fez

preso
22-12-2008, 05:47 AM
Horse and dnej are on the money. I put one in a 4.45 dory I had. Not that dear either, it wll solve your problem. I made it self draining by drilling a hole in the bottom corner and running a hose through the hull.
Cheers John.

Horse
22-12-2008, 06:06 AM
Sorry Horse, Got to laugh eh.
Must have been doing posts at same time
David

Great minds think alike;D

They are a great option with the added advantage of being transluscent so the foreward storage area is well lit. I used the self draining option and it worked well

Jeremy
22-12-2008, 07:42 AM
problem is just anchor rope gettin tangled and knotted and being a pain in the ass

How much rope do you carry and what dia? If you usually only fish in 4m and sometimes in up to 14m, then 20 of anchor rope is sufficient and together with 3m of chain should hold you in 14m. I think your problem is poor quality rope if it is tangling. Get some 10-12mm silver rope. As to what to do with it, just stow it in front of the foreward cross thwart seat on the floor. That is the cheapest solution.

Definitely do not go drilling holes in the foredeck to feed the rope out of.

For better more permanent solutions, so with better rope and a poly anchor well as suggested above.

Jeremy

dnej
22-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Hey Jeremy,
Forgot to say thanks in the who helped you in 2008.Consider it said.
Say ,do you know who sells the Dynema rope that is used on winches,I can find the lessor breaking stain stuff.
David

Jeremy
22-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Hey Jeremy,
Forgot to say thanks in the who helped you in 2008.Consider it said.
Say ,do you know who sells the Dynema rope that is used on winches,I can find the lessor breaking stain stuff.
David

Hi David, I haven't been following that thread, but I know you have given me good advice in the past. Can't think of why you would owe me any thanks off the top of my head. I have seen the dyneema winch rope in Whitworths in two different ratings.

Jeremy

dnej
22-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Jeremy,
The Whitworth stuff is a composite. For an example, the real Dyneema, non composite gear ,in 6mm,is rated to a 4200kg breaking strain, and should be around $ 8, or 9 dollars per metre.I think there is a place in Melbourne.
David
Was it not something to freezing crabs,as an example?

Jeremy
23-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the clarification on the dyneema.

PM sent to avoid hijacking this thread.

Jeremy

Getout
23-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Dyneema anchor rope?????
An expensive exercise when you get the anchor stuck!!!!!
Also, I'd be worried about an open anchor well on the fordeck. I have known of anchors to be thrown out of front hatches to foul the prop and cause a capsize during a bar crossing.

Chimo
23-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Agree with Getout about the open anchor well on the fordeck. Have been going to comment on this earlier but due to being too easily distracted etc by other things it didn't happen. If your going to instal a bin on the fordeck get one with a lid with a catch to hold things in place till you need them. Much better and safer than having stuff flopping around in the bow and in front of the front seat and able to fall free when you least want it to.

Cheers
Chimo

Sea-Dog
28-12-2008, 11:16 AM
maybe take your anchor off and then motor out into a clear area and let all of your anchor rope out and trail it behind you for a while and get all of the twists out of it

then retrieve it all and lay it neatly into your anchor well in a figure 8

should retrieve nicely if there are no twists and kinks in it

many people put out 60++ metres when offshore, and it goes out and comes back nicely

cheers

Mick

Hey Mick, I was setting up an anchor rope for a new dan buoy on the trawler I was working on.

New 50M role of 6mm nylon rope. I let it out the back of the trawler whilst steaming along and tied the end off.

The only problem was that the lay of the rope acted as a long skinny propeller and it set up a massive twist in the rope.

When I pulled it all back onboard, it turned into a giant multiple bimini twist.

I had to untwist it manually on deck.

It would have been OK if I'd had a decent swivel attached to the trawler end I suppose.

ronnien
28-12-2008, 12:58 PM
i use the kill bin, 4.4mtr flat bottom barra boat. but after reading this i am going down to see if i can get 1 of them wells in the casting deck.

ron.

Sheik
28-12-2008, 01:26 PM
If you have a foredeck you can try this. Instead of cutting a hole in it, put three bollards in a triangle as big as possible on the foredeck triangle thingie and wind the rope around this. Drop the onchor on to floor, or alternatiely, drop some 150mm pipe through the foredeck or tie it onto the bow rails and poke the thin end of your anchor into this. ALl tidy it doesnt rattle and it also gives you grip if you happen to be castnetting from the front deck.

Horse
28-12-2008, 05:44 PM
No need for a lid. The rope goes in first then chain and anchor. I used a occy strap on the anchor in rough conditions

Trev_ally
08-01-2009, 08:54 AM
If you already know the approximate depth of water you regularly fish in try having the anchor rigged with a suitable length of rope. Works for me. Just remember to have a legal, adequate full anchor rope on board and handy just in case. Hope this helps.

garman1
08-01-2009, 09:34 AM
My brother was here the other week and complained that the anchor rope was fairly thin, I said I needed the length in case i got into deeper water, his solution which sounds good is to work out what depth of water you fish in normally and use nice think rope for that depth and then keep the thinner rope which is spliced onto the thicker rope for the deeper water, that I haven't got into yet........... It is a lot easier on your hands using thicker rope.

So you end up with anchor, chain, thicker rope (used often) then thinner rope for the odd occasions you might go into deeper water. I only have a 4.3 mx boat so I don't float around in 50 metres of water etc. I thought this idea wasn't too bad and my usual deckies thought the idea was great.............................