PDA

View Full Version : using a sea anchor

ad heeney
20-12-2008, 09:22 PM
still wating to get out around the cape to do some plastics work around some off the reefs,the weather has not been kind, i just wonded how the current runs out there around hutchies ,roberts , smiths and brendens reefs would a sea anchor come in handy to slow the drift a bit so to fish our plactic better over good reefand fish . please reply all conmemts will be aprecated robo

peterbo3
20-12-2008, 10:00 PM
A sea anchor will not really help with current as the anchor & the boat will travel at the same speed. The anchor is good if the wind is pushing the boat along.

Angla
20-12-2008, 11:16 PM
It would not hurt to chuck it out in any case to see what reaction it has. Could hardly make it worse. My best fishing has been with the sea anchor out. Which one are you using?

Chris

ad heeney
21-12-2008, 07:03 AM
It would not hurt to chuck it out in any case to see what reaction it has. Could hardly make it worse. My best fishing has been with the sea anchor out. Which one are you using?

Chris not useing one yet, but looking to add one to the boat, buy one from bcf cone stile, boats a alley 550 with a biminie it like a sail, had it in the brissie a while back with 10 too 15 sse blowing tide was on the come in it blue as across the current quite quickly , migth pay to have one out there . rob

bigjimg
21-12-2008, 09:21 AM
I know budget has a lot to do with it, but a little extra spent on the "Fisherman 4 " para anchor will see years of service.Wouldn't go offshore without one.Jim

Hornet Rider
21-12-2008, 11:25 AM
still wating to get out around the cape to do some plastics work around some off the reefs,the weather has not been kind, i just wonded how the current runs out there around hutchies ,roberts , smiths and brendens reefs would a sea anchor come in handy to slow the drift a bit so to fish our plactic better over good reefand fish . please reply all conmemts will be aprecated robo

Robo,

When you say 'sea anchor' do you really mean 'drogue'? Sounds to me like a drogue is what you may need but that will depend on the size of your boat & the sea conditions. Peter's advice that a sea anchor (or drogue) will only pull you along in the current is correct. The sea anchor or drogue is not designed to compensate for current, but to compensate for wind, particularly in rough seas, where it may be either not possible to use a conventional anchor (ie too deep) or the sea conditions are such that your conventional anchor will not hold bottom. A sea anchor is a very handy option to have on board in rough weather, when you can't hold bottom & if for example you lost engine or sail power. A small drogue on the other hand is also useful if the wind is blowing you off your fishing ground, but it's not too windy to cause you to pack up & head home.

Worth doing a bit of resarch to convince yourself of what you need. A useful read is at this link http://www.paraanchors.com.au/home.htm There's lots of other material on the web - just google it. :D

cheers, HR

PS I have a 17 ft tinny with a 70 johno that I venture out into the oggan in & I carry a 4ft diameter drouge on 150 meters of rope, which is separate to my anchor rope & two anchors. That drogue is enough to either compensate for surface wind pushing me off a spot, or in the worst case if I lose engine power, it will hold me bow first into the swell, give me time to sort matters out or keep the boat stable & reasonably comfortable while I wait for the cavalry to come save my ass.

Horse
21-12-2008, 11:26 AM
I use either a large or small one depending on the wind direction and strength. I run it from the bow in our CC and it holds the boat sideways so the deckie has the whole front of the boat to play in

Pual44
21-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Interesting Horse, I run mine off the ski hooks at the rear. I have a cuddy cabin with a bimini and it catches the wind pretty easily. The para 4 I use usually keeps me pretty square on to the sea. Now that I have owned one for a while (5 years)I would be very hesitant to go to sea without one as I think it finds its way into the drink every time I go out. I fish on the drift 99% of the time.
I thoroughly recommend them as they slow you down and give you a longer time in the strike zone and at times they even make the rock and roll of the boat easier to handle. Mind you they can get in the way and at least every time I use it I/we manage to get a fish tangled in it somehow or I hook it. But that's life.

Lets hope fish for xmas.

GBC
22-12-2008, 07:09 AM
We generally don't leave home without a sea anchor - though at this time of year nothing is going to save you from the run outside. I prefer the simpler ones to the paras though - just my opinion.