PDA

View Full Version : Quintrex 420 WB Dory casting deck.

Synful
19-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Evening Guys,

Was wondering if anyone here with a Quintrex 420WB Dory had built their own front casting deck?

I am after the specs on what size marine ply that you had to get in order to build it and any photos that you may have so i can see what the finished product looks like.

Ideally my plan is to make the desk so that it has at least one hatch on it to allow for storage of gear and or a live well .

Kleyny
20-12-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure if the wide body is the same as a 4.6 but heres my 4.6 front

neil

Synful
20-12-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure if the wide body is the same as a 4.6 but heres my 4.6 front

neil

Nice work Honky Dory
The bow; did you rivet the carpet or screw it in?

Your 4.6 looks similar to my 4.2, obviously it will longer and maybe a bit wider but should be essentially the same. Any tips on what to avoid?

Kleyny
20-12-2008, 12:54 PM
I tried using velcro on the front but in the heat i couldn't find anything to stick. So i got the sh!ts and just screwed it, not happy with it but at least it can remove it to wash underneath on my annual complete clean.
When i got the bracing welded in the guy used a Little too much heat and warped the thwart. So now you get a buckle noise every time you stand on it.

I used 20mm form ply because i got it for nothing but 17 would be just as good.

If you have any sold cardboard or similar floating around i suggest you make a template with that so you only cut your main ply once. don't forget to leave a gap around double the thickness of the carpet so your hatch still closes flush.

When i done mine i screwed it all into place then checked the gaps, removed then carpeted use quick grip as the glue.
hope this helps
good luck
neil

Synful
21-12-2008, 08:20 AM
I tried using velcro on the front but in the heat i couldn't find anything to stick. So i got the sh!ts and just screwed it, not happy with it but at least it can remove it to wash underneath on my annual complete clean.

I used 20mm form ply because i got it for nothing but 17 would be just as good.

If you have any sold cardboard or similar floating around i suggest you make a template with that so you only cut your main ply once. don't forget to leave a gap around double the thickness of the carpet so your hatch still closes flush.

When i done mine i screwed it all into place then checked the gaps, removed then carpeted use quick grip as the glue.

Good Stuff Neil and thanks for your advice; this is a project for the new year.

Will be rummaging around to see what can use as a template and go from there I think.

Horse
21-12-2008, 11:30 AM
I did the same on a Quintex Bass (3.85m) but just riveted the alloy angle in place. It was very strong and went together easily. I just glued the carpet to the ply and seat