PDA

View Full Version : Haines 680SF "Seasaw"

boatboy50
18-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Hey Guys,

Anyone know the story behind this.

I know a couple of years ago this boat did belong to an Ausfish member. Don't know if it still does?

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6615477

It would be a great buy depending on the damage (of which there is no pics).

Regards

Darren

Ally Jack
19-12-2008, 02:45 AM
BB,

I seen it advertised while trawling the internet late last night for 2nd hand boats. I couldn't believe the price and it had no write-up then but I see it has one now - stringers to be replaced so possibly floor as well, trailer needs some work or be replaced, motor looks ok.

It could be a great project boat, if I had any spare time.....

Ally Jack

Mad one.
19-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Now I thought that Sea Saw was a boat that was owned by a bloke who writes for the Bush and Beach (Sunshine Coast Reports)

Vitamin Sea
19-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Hey Guys,

Anyone know the story behind this.

I know a couple of years ago this boat did belong to an Ausfish member. Don't know if it still does?

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6615477

It would be a great buy depending on the damage (of which there is no pics).

Regards

Darren

Darren

It belongs to Mark Jones, AKA Seasaw on this forum, Jonesy on TFGOA.
Motor has not done any real work, he bought it new a couple of years ago.
The hull has cracks from what I understand.

I may have to go down the road and have a look at it:-X

Does write for B&B.

Cheers

Bill

julian1
19-12-2008, 12:16 PM
cracks or just stress fractures in the gelcoat ? most 680SF's of that era have stress fractures in the gelcoat on the underside of the hulls

Vitamin Sea
19-12-2008, 07:08 PM
cracks or just stress fractures in the gelcoat ? most 680SF's of that era have stress fractures in the gelcoat on the underside of the hulls

2nd hand info Julian, really not sure, will have to go down the road and have a look at it.

Cheers

Bill

death_ship
20-12-2008, 08:49 AM
dont do it Bill, stick with the 19c mate. that looks like a big $$$$$ input to get her up to scratch

Vitamin Sea
21-12-2008, 09:06 AM
dont do it Bill, stick with the 19c mate. that looks like a big $$$$$ input to get her up to scratch

;D;D;D;D

Hey Brett

Welcome back, how were the babe's and the waves?

Tuesday is looking good

PS: the chance of the finance minister allowing such a purchase is slim to @$%& all

TheRealAndy
21-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Hmmm, i do know someone who is ex-fibreglasser who still does jobs for mates. Very tempting.

bigjimg
21-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I suppose like doing a reno when you start digging you find all sorts of surprises.Had a hard life considering only in production from 92,or 96 for the encore.Trailerboat mag has them down for around the 38k mark.Thought the boat and name was familiar.Jim

death_ship
21-12-2008, 04:34 PM
;D;D;D;D

Hey Brett

Welcome back, how were the babe's and the waves?

Tuesday is looking good

PS: the chance of the finance minister allowing such a purchase is slim to @$%& all
babes and waves were real nice mate, gonna head tuesday and a raft up tuesday night, give me a call

tuna boy
21-12-2008, 07:33 PM
hello guys...yes sea saw is still owned by mark,the floor is all good,transom is all good,it does need a stringer replaced.motor has not had a hard life,always been serviced and fully washed after every use(bye me 4 the last 6 years)trailer does need some work (brakes)all in all it is a great boat........cheers johnno

skipalong
21-12-2008, 07:34 PM
i just dont know sounds . .........

SeaSaw
21-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi Darren,

I would be happy to tell all the details of the story behind SeaSaw. I am still the owner and am selling it on consignment at John Crawford. Motor is in excellent condition and has never missed a beat ... love the yammy 4 strokes! Hull is cracked right on the keel and it needs to be cut open and the stringers replaced. A few other general maintenance items, but I think it is a good buy for someone with the knowhow to do some fibreglass work.

If anyone wants more details or wants my phone numnber to talk to me about the boat then send me a PM.

Cheers,

Mark

boatboy50
21-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks Mark,

I'm not in a position to buy at the moment, but would in different times. My interest lies purely in knowing for the future of other OMC built Haines Hunter boats which I always have an interest in when i'm in the market.

I think it would be a good buy for someone, that's why I pointed it out.

Out of interest, do you know why it cracked along the keel (lack of hull support with stringers, poor stringer design, poor trailer ect?), or why the stringer/s rotted?

I'm sure yours is not the only one with that problem as they were a production boat, so would all be built the same. I'm sure it would be very hard to pick up when buying to the naked eye, or without pulling it apart.

Do you have any pics of the damage which you could post?

Are they a moulded floor? That would make the repair a big job? Would the easiest repair be to pull it all apart, take the deck off, pull out the floor moulding and then rebuild the stringers? Or is it easier than that? Have you had any quotes for repair before?

Regards

Darren

SeaSaw
21-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Darren,

Not sure why the hull cracked. The only way to answer that question is to pull up the floor to have a look. The only thing for certain is that the hull has been flexing and stop that happening the stringers will almost certainly need replacing. Whether they are flexing because of poor design, rot or something else is an interesting question (and I would like to know), but probably won't change the repair job too much.

It is a moulded floor. If I were fixing it I would cut the mould to get the floor out and reattach a new floor to the side to create a toes under setup. Separating the mouldings would be too big a job. I don't have pictures to post. The crack itself is about 6 to 8 inches long.

Cheers,

Mark

julian1
22-12-2008, 09:49 AM
i have even heard of 680SF's with the fuek tanks going through the bottom of the hull :o

i know my 680 had heaps of gelcoat stress fractures in the underside of the hull, obviously caused by flexing, i don't think they were the best build quality back when OMC held the raines ::)

Mister
22-12-2008, 10:33 AM
This should not surprise anybody especially those that saw these things being built, totally woefull bad construction. The HH diehards would be shocked.

caloundra
22-12-2008, 12:58 PM
hey mark
haven't seen you for a while
sorry to here about the old girl, she certainly was a good boat
have you got yourself a new rig yet??

Daniel

julian1
22-12-2008, 03:16 PM
This should not surprise anybody especially those that saw these things being built, totally woefull bad construction. The HH diehards would be shocked.

flex and bang like a dunny door too, i had a ride in a new Patriot a little while ago with extra glass and twin 150 Etec's :-X but it still felt the same with maybe not that flexing feeling but the ride was the same, tested a HH650 Classic on the same day and it was softer and more stable !! :o

go figure :P ???