PDA

View Full Version : outboard question?

RAT-KING
17-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Hey all
i took the boat out the other day and was trolling around for ages wen my motor stalled i lift the lid and i had forgot to loosen the screw on top of the tank to equalize the pressure i undid it and continued. next time i took her out the motor coughed and spluttered a bit then seemed fine for a while then after a few hrs i lost half of my top end speed and it would take forever to get there! does anybody know wat i could of damaged fuel pump etc? I have a 39hp 2 stroke mercury all info is much appreciated

Cheers Simon

FNQCairns
17-12-2008, 06:52 PM
I dunno, did you pump the bulb when it was playing up as you can emulate the fuel pump in real time, sometimes coincidences happen, cannot say your problem is though, does sound like fuel somewhere.

Usually best tot start with the cheap and easy stuff 7/10 times that is where the problem is so investigate all fuel line and connections/filters, the tank, the fuel and for water in the carbs. Drain them and pump a little fuel through if there is a drain on the carby bowls.

good luck

cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
17-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey all
i took the boat out the other day and was trolling around for ages wen my motor stalled i lift the lid and i had forgot to loosen the screw on top of the tank to equalize the pressure i undid it and continued. next time i took her out the motor coughed and spluttered a bit then seemed fine for a while then after a few hrs i lost half of my top end speed and it would take forever to get there! does anybody know wat i could of damaged fuel pump etc? I have a 39hp 2 stroke mercury all info is much appreciated

Cheers Simon

I would get a compression test to aleviate any major damage:-/

39HP hey.. ust be a new model:o

disorderly
17-12-2008, 07:01 PM
This has happened to plenty of boaters before you (including me)with no apparent damage other than slight embarrassment...do as FNQ suggests and clean out your fuel system first...

Roughasguts
17-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Have you got a soft fuel line?

If you have! then the hose may have weakened enough at a sharp bend, or original knk with all that sustained vaccum crushing the fuel line.

So that now normal suction is restricting fuel flow enough to disrupt your engine rev's at higher power setting.

Anyway just a thought if you have done the other ideas, and you still have a problem.

Cheers.

Noelm
18-12-2008, 07:15 AM
OK, here goes my usual reply, before you pull anything to bits and start throwing parts at it, do all the very obvious and cheap/no cost things first, like (say) a complete new tank/hose/primer and fuel, remove the plugs, do they all look the same? maybe replace them, compression test (as mentioned) try to at least find out what you are looking for (fuel or spark or mechanical) a "scattergun" approach will end up causing you grief!!!

ozbee
18-12-2008, 06:16 PM
most likely the connection check the o ring