PDA

View Full Version : One night at Clairview, CQ. What should I target???

the lobster
16-12-2008, 10:14 PM
So next week, on the way to a camping trip at Rainbow Beach (from Townsville), we're staying at Clairview for a night to break up the drive. Assuming I get a chance to wet my gear, so to speak, what should I target and where?

I'll have my light whiting gear and an Abu 6500, so spaniards are probably out of the question ;D. I'll also be land-based. Any suggestions on what I should target, where and with what bait? Will there be any salmon around? Have never caught one before and would love to land one.

Any suggestions appreciated.

thanks

matt

BobbyJ123
17-12-2008, 05:02 AM
G'day mate, make sure that the tide is in....A long way to walk if not.
Blue salmon might be available near the ramp.

the lobster
17-12-2008, 10:42 AM
G'day mate, make sure that the tide is in....A long way to walk if not.
Blue salmon might be available near the ramp.

Thanks mate. What's the best way to get em? Float some whole pillies or squid or something?

matt

Chris_2184
17-12-2008, 01:00 PM
mate nothing beats a live mullet or prawn, good place to get em' is around boat ramps. I reckon ur best bet is to take your cast net with you (if you don't have on you should be able to pick one up for around $30), have a few casts around the ramp and hook on a livey and send it out.......good luck

mangomick
17-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Mate
Personally if your land based and camping Id turn in past the servo at Carmilla and follow the road down to the end then veer right and it takes you to free camping and also to a creek mouth. Eco dunnies are built there. You dont need 4WD to access a lot of the camp spots but if you wanted to camp right on the point of the creek entrance then you would. its only a short walk in.
The road is accessible to non 4WD vehicles right to the creek. actually theres a creek at both ends of Carmilla beach.
Check it out, you are going straight past. Huge tides up there and water runs out for miles.
Worth walking a few pots in. I picked up 2 legal crabs in one pot overnight last time I pulled up there.
Try floating a livie on a balloon on the out going tide
Cheers

the lobster
17-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks a lot guys. Will give it a go.

matt

madman1
18-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Watch out for big lizards!!!