PDA

View Full Version : Most Memorable Fish, Moment or Trip of 2008

Black_Rat
16-12-2008, 09:00 PM
As the title says post away, not sure if it's the Joy ;D or the Santas this time of year but with 2 weeks to go to see 2009 out will start with this.............

I have been given the task of orginising the company fishing trip for the last few years and after a false start in early June (Wind >:( ) we set off in late July finally !

Within 2hrs I had managed to snap my M10 Livefibre ! (My Fault :'( ) Doh !! Nice example for the blokes :( Fishing from there on was with a donated rod from the skipper and over the next few hours we managed to get a nice feed in between a few beers.

Second last drop of the day on the borrowed rod and on a Nuk Chook :-X I managed to land a PB Snap ;D

One broken M10 and a PB Snap later when the boss was paying ! a memorable trip non the less !

Damo

Chong
16-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Well Damo,
Too many to mention, but one from 1770, of which there are many::) and some you do not want to see here:-X . This one was from a hard slog at 1770 with not a lot else, but i did get a can of cats piss for the effort8-) , so worthy it is;) ;) .
Cheers,
Chong

Scott nthQld
17-12-2008, 09:16 AM
My most memorable trip and fish were one and the same. It was the first time I'd ever taken my boat offshore, about 40km was the furtherst we were out, and we'd lucked out on bottom fishng, only boating triggers and undersize reds. But with 4 good sized doggies in the ice we tried one more stop about 20nm from the ramp. Fishing the bottom and a drifted pilly out the back.

After boating nothing but small rubbish Ronnie had a big tiger follow his fish up to the boat and once it dissapeared, my floated pilly was slammed. Well you could tell what I thought and a big chrome flash on the surface and my mind changed to mackeral......til it jumped......holy shit, now all I saw was the bill and the cry of marlin left my lungs. I fought the fish for a few minutes, hoping the mustad 7/0 gangs would hold (had already had a few set crushed that day by big macks).

Wasn't much of a fight, but up near the boat the fish erected its dorsal fin, showing itself in all its glory, a sail. The first ever live billfish I'd ever seen (other than the telly) and the first sail ever, and it was on the end of my line......can't describe the feeling of elation that was within me.

Brilliant, as we got the fish boatside the camera lay forgotten, and as we knew there was a big tiger hanging around we couldn't get it off the line fast enough, but the fish did that for us, one last big headshake and the hooks came free right next to the boat, the fish stayed for a few seonds to give us a brief look of contempt and swam away gracefully.

It wasn't a very big fish at about 4-5ft long, at a very rough guess, having no experience with bill fish, I would say about 8kg?

And to top off the day we covered 85nm and used 40L of fuel, and mouch of that was trolling

TimiBoy
17-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Watching a 2m Spaniard sniff at my pilly 20 feet under the boat in glassed conditions off Roonies, a couple of months ago.

Cheech, Chong, Mumsy Wumsy and I were blown away. Freaky...

Cheers,

Tim

Noelm
17-12-2008, 09:43 AM
to anyone who does not have Grand Children, this will mean nothing, to those that do, they will know exactly what I mean, without a doubt the most memorable trip for me was my first outing with my Grandson about 5 weeks ago, we went to a nearby "tourist" spot at Lake Illawarra, and had a fish, he caught a Crab about 50mm across and you would have thought he had caught a 15KG Snapper or a 1.5 Barra , but to him, it was just so great!

rockfisho
17-12-2008, 03:17 PM
my most memorable fish this year was my first jewie. not huge but a good start at 4.5 kgs. Id been targeting them for a while and had a few hookups, one was a monsterous one which i estimated around 20 odd kgs. Second and third would be my PB lizard, 85 cm 9 lb. and my first snapp (more of a squire really, 47 cm ), which i caught rockfishing with a home made rod, purpose built.

cheers

Owen

ronnien
17-12-2008, 08:16 PM
mine... well there was a few, scott's sailfish is right up there with them, my first largemouth's & than there's my first saltwater barra.
but the stand out 1 is my son first tarpon, he did it like a pro! the thing jumped & jumped, it spent more time out of the water than in & luke kept the pressure on him. he give me a earful about it for a few days after catching it.

ron.:)

trymyluck
17-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Most memorable fish would have to be RED. All 8kg of it.;D;D;D;D

The funniest moment would have to be the look on Appollo's (Steve) face when Neil the skipper on our charter opened the fridge and pulled out some banana's and then handed him one. Priceless.:o:o:o:o

BREAMBOSS01
18-12-2008, 09:02 AM
one was at fishing haven palmers island on the clarence river. caught so many bream i lost count from 27cm to 35cms all on herring i caught just before got put on the hoook. and my first lizard 48cm on a bait jig.

second would be at lake cootharbra in the noosa river i thought id hooked a lazy catty butt got it to the top it wass a cowl for a 5hp tohatsu outboard, any one missing one.

and last but not least my dads silver trevally on a shimano 8ft estuary combo, on 15lb line in a 10 foot punt and after 15 minutes boated it at 60cms in the upper reaches of the burrum river.8-)

Chris Ryan
18-12-2008, 09:36 AM
I only got the chance to fish 2 times in all of 2008 so I have no memorable moments. I however am enjoying the reports and the stories in this thread. Keep them coming!

Maybe 2009 will be my year to fish.

Chris

Lucky_Phill
18-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Well.

At the beginning of the year in my " signature " I had a statement along the lines of.. " 2008, it'll be a big year ! "

I suppose it has been in more ways than one. Who could have envisaged the major events that have shaped our world so far this year ?

So from my perspective, the most memorable fishing moment was like this:-

A few weeks ago my youngest daughter ( Brooke 10 ), was nagging me to ' take her fishing '. I really think it was a call for me to spend some more ' Father / Daughter time together '.

So on the weekend of the Ausfish Southern Bay M & G, Brooke and I headed out in the tinnie for some " quality time '. With her personalised rod in hand and personal tackle box at the ready, we set off in search for fish.

Again, she outfished me and also was a dab hand at the landing net for my Squire. Then, to top it off, Brooke wins a rod and reel combo and a tackle box full of tackle at the Weigh-in. To see the look on her face at not only boating some good fish, but stepping up to take the prizes is " My most memorable fishing moment of 2008 ". To have my other daughter , Tjara , there to witness all this was cream on the cake.

Yep, the thing that puts a lump in the throat is the kids... no doubt !

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/SBMG-brooke5.jpg

and the winner is:-

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/brooke2.jpg

Nice thread and thought, Damo.

Cheers Phill

Out_There
18-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Was lucky enough to tag along on a 2 day trip outa cooktown on a game boat, Viking 2. Had two hours of the best bottom donging I've ever had on 80 lds hand line, something like 8 drops straight, with hooked up on a reds, large mouth nanis, chinaman ,red bass with the bait hitting the bottom and strait on and only just being able the pull these bad boy off the bottom. Followed by sitting in the chair pulling in a 900 lds marlin the next day. The high point of my fishing year forsure.

bundylundy
20-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Most memorable fish for the year was a 16 kg Spannish on 6kg line from the Herald Patches near Lady Elliot Island.
Most memorable trip was spending week camping at Wathumba Creek on the inside of Fraser including fishing the Hervey Bay Game Comp. Weather varied from 0 knots to 30 knots, fish included my PB for Dolphin Fish and Wahoo and Shane's first Marlin. Good friends, cold beer(and a rum or 2) and a few good fish. Who could ask for anything more.

Jeff.

Goldfinch
30-12-2008, 03:27 PM
I haven't posted any fishing reports this year so here's my best catches of the year. Been a great year except for the past couple of months which has been very quiet. Most fish caught of Moreton and all the tuna caught off Burnett Heads near Bundy.

Funniest moment was watching my mate lose my $400 Baitrunner and Live Fibre rig over the side of the boat like a torpedo to what was probably a big cobe. I think he thought he was fishing for Bream and only had 2 fingers holding on. He was a bit embarrassed.

All in all a great year, loads of memories and heaps of lessons learnt.

Enjoy the pics.

Kleyny
30-12-2008, 07:37 PM
It would have to be taking the family into the huge!!!;D Moreton Bay chasing the winter tings.
Watching the kids catch their first fish by themselves was amazing.

neil

Highlander
02-01-2009, 05:35 AM
Being from South coast NSW
My daughter fighting striped marlin stand up on 15kg line estimated at 150kg + for 3hrs only to loose it boat side as it was still to green. only to have saw feet and bruised hand for a few days later.

Having baught a new almost new boat less than 100hrs old and keeping it at townsville.
1st major fishing trip an over nighter with a mate to trunk reef (with no local nth qldr on board ) got there set the boat up put out tarp for extra protection and we had a cloud burst as we undid the tarp from the bag got heavily p## ON for ten minutes or so. dropped the only knife over the side half way thru the night attempting to cut off a nasty bitie who turned on my hand fortunatly missing the digits but hit the knife instead and the look on gunthers face, fotunatly had a scissers and a fille in the t/box we improvised, it took a while though. started the motor to tickle up the batteries once in middle of the night, the oil warning light came on just had the boat a couple of months, the look on both our faces, had the manual though in the box 100hr oil change due worning lite, cleared that, learnt to take something soft to crashout on next time and extra clothing, also that ice does not last long enough in nth qld especially when you catch heaps. Bagged out on spangled emperer. 1 nice red emperer 56cm just leagal released two others just under size. coral trout some nice sweetlips and spanish mackeral saw a small bilfish about 50kg released heaps of other species, also buy bities leaving only heads. and fish we could not stop.

Rolo

BLOOEY
03-01-2009, 12:23 AM
All good fish guys,Did pretty well this year in the estuarys scoring my first threadie and big jew and also some horse whiting on poppers. Now to get a decent spanird in 2009. Ben

tunaticer
03-01-2009, 03:54 AM
For me it was popping the cherry with SP jewfish. 5 in one day on SP's was a glorious way to pop the cherry with the added bonus of some very nice jacks along the way.

madkeen_fisherkid
04-01-2009, 09:22 AM
would have ti be catching my first decent fish on sp's
62cm fingermark in the burrum river.

great thread mate, cheers

Mrs Ronnie H
04-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi all
#1 Going out with my Brother Johnno and Mark for a days fishing to wide caloundra was excellent. Apart from the bloody eye I had the bestest day with both of them. Bagging out on pearlies and landing some good parrot was just awesome. Pictures in BNB was a highlight for me as well.
#2 Barwon banks with Brother Johnno for an overnighter. Watching him land a 20 kg cod was pretty awesome. hooking up on a sharky myself was a good workout but tops was my first snapper and my GT which took off like a sydney freight train.

If I can go for number three which has nothing to do with a fishing trip it was taking delivery of the new boat which we had planned for about twelve months.

Ronnie