PDA

View Full Version : Glenbawn Bass

bdowdy
16-12-2008, 08:37 PM
okay hi everyone im off to glenbawn dam round the 3rd of jan and need some HELP,,,, what lures do i fish where do i fish and what acommadation is there and should i book etc....any help would be great as travelling a far few hours to get there and dont wont to be disapointed...even local lues that work ...any HELP PLEASE... CHEERS BDOWDY..BRETT8-)

NAGG
16-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Brett ...... Mate dont risk it - make a booking as it is a popular location for the local mining community.
I tried to make a last minute booking in the area last Christmas to fish Lake St Clair:( .... no luck

Chris

PS ...... I'll try to dig up some notes

NAGG
17-12-2008, 09:02 AM
I just spoke to someone that fishes the place on a reasonably regular basis .........
His favorite technique is casting Berkley Pearl Watermelon bass minnows into the shallows ( look for some timber) & hop them out ...... Mornings & afternoons ........ You can also throw sammys ....... & walk em over the weed (2 -4 ft)

During the day he looks for drop offs in around 20ft & will throw grubs , minnows or Jackalls .......(hop) or slow roll them from the shallower water back to the boat ... keeping in contact with the bottom.:P ........

To me this all sounds like pretty standard summer bass techniques

Best of luck

Chris

Bear001
17-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Hey Brett,

Accom can be a hassle at the dam. There's plenty of unpowered camping if you're happy to do that - we usually camp right down the bottom of the camping area near the no wash zone/fishing clubhouse, as there is an amenity block at the top of the hill that if you're feeling fit - you can walk too. Other than that - there are not many amenity blocks.

There are some cabins right at the main area - there is another lot of old cabins/caravan park that whilst it is at the dam, is not near the water - it is back along the entrance to the dam behind the wall. But better than being back in town I suppose.

Lures - Local lures at the little tin shed on the highway (near a really REALLY good bakeryjukmi) in Aberdeen. But they dont sell Jackalls. You will have to take your own. We had luck with TN50 & 60's. Something that we also had great time with was crickets! Catch some live crickets and throw on a hook! Bass LOVE em!

http://www.stateparks.nsw.gov.au/lake_glenbawn

It has been a little while since I was last there, so I cant help with specific locations on the dam. But a word of advice - you dont have to speed off too far up the dam to find fish. We actually caught most of ours trolling/casting the shallows in the cove where we camped and around the hill with the cemetery/headstone on it - only thing wrong with the 1st cove around is it is sheltered from another island too - and the waterskiers flog it for some smooth water. Glenbawn chops up a shocker!

Have a great trip!
Cin

bdowdy
17-12-2008, 02:01 PM
thanks cindy...nagg for your help hope to get into afew bass while there,,,ill right something up if i get afew..cheers and have agood xmas...brett

boys play
17-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Brett,
Glenbawn is one of my favourite haunts, with mixed success with the bass over the years, mainly on worms. The dam is nearly 70% at the moment, which has actually reduced the camping areas significantly. Christmas/New Year is a good time not to be there if you want some peace & quiet. We were there few weeks ago and it was very busy then...however like Monduran, Awoonga, Copeton etc, there is still plenty of room when out on the water. Cabins will be booked out by now, but if you can get there in the off season, they are the pick for accommodation, set up on the hill overlooking the water.
cheers
Ian

Copeton Catcher
22-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi Brett,

Glenbawn is a nice dam the Bass are not as big as they used to be but still fight very well, the Yellowbelly are awesome there though nearly as good as Copeton.

Beware of storms and wind though, its the worst Dam for getting caught in storms, if they look like coming get of the water its very dangerous, and I reccomend getting a local weather report each day.

Best lures I have used there have been Lipless crankbaits and Spinnerbaits, use your sounder to locate baitfish and work the edges.

Good Luck.

Cheers

Phil

squizzytaylor
22-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Divers both shallow and deep and spinnerbaits in purples are a winner at Glenbawn particularly in clearer waters, if murky white.silver spinnerbaits.
Bibless minnows of all desriptions work Jackal tn50/60 in ayu pattern, river2sea babyvib 43's in gold pattterns. Call in and see Rion at Aberdeen tackle, hes usually got a trick or two.
I hope thats been of some help.

Cheers and merry christmas
Geoff

bdowdy
22-12-2008, 04:34 PM
thanks heaps geoff and merry xmas also...was going to call into the aberdeen tackle is it opened on saturdays...cheers brett

aadam
31-12-2008, 07:53 AM
hi
yeah aberdeen tackle is open on saturdays, i was there last sat and grabbed a few sammy's. not sure what time it en or closes though.
good luck on the dam wish i was there to have a bash as well.
cheers
aadam