PDA

View Full Version : Braid to Leader

ColJacDak
16-12-2008, 06:09 AM
Can anyone help me, What do I use as my leader with 50 pound braid on my reel, Do I use a heavier Mono, or wire, do I need a swivel, Can some one show me some rigs for the reef involving Braid,

Thanks Colhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

Dan5
16-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Mate a simple patternoster is all i use when reef fishing,some 50-60lb mono should do the trick,there's no need for wire unless your fishing for shark or mackeral etc.

FNQCairns
16-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Like Dan says although if wreck fishing heavier mono (80lb) suits me for leader, been getting done over on 50lb too often lately. I use no metal (hooks and sinkers obviously) and make the leader wind on around 6 to 10m of it depending.

cheers fnq

Cheech
16-12-2008, 07:12 AM
I use 50lb braid as well for my offshore rig and add to it about 1.5 - 2m of 100lb black majic leader. I know some connect braid straight to a swivel with a cats paw, but I prefer the extra couple of metres of leader. That way you can easily change your rig from paternoster to floater to troll rig, or whatever. I use a bimini and braid/leader knot to conect the leader.

Cheech

ColJacDak
16-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Thanks for that info, downloaded pictures of the knots of the net. I will test them off Knight Island Thursday,,Col

thelump
16-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Hard to beat the ol double uni knot for braid to leader I reckon

twist
16-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Spider hitch double in the braid and the an albright to attatch the leader. look it up on netknots.com. You can google it easily. This rig is good for nything from soft plastics to paternoster.
Practice practice practice...

sleepygreg
16-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Always wondered how the spider hitch went with braid....i think its the easiest double to tie. I have always used a Bimiini for my braids.....though admitedly in the lighter lines (12 - 14lb). and an albright to the leader. I have yet to use braid for reefies - that is my new years resolution....i have the reel and the braid..just need a rod and opportunity. Will be using a tld 20 with 50lb braid...still thinking about the rod...though im favouring a short stroker style blank..possibly a Sabre/lamiglass.

Greg