PDA

View Full Version : Barra Moments 2008

NAGG
15-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Hey IBDers ....... As we draw down on 2008 & prepare for the festive season ...... & maybe a possible early 2009 assault on your favorite barra dam - Lets take some time & share some of ...... your highlights or lowlights for 2008 :P
I'm sure some will come to mind.::)

Cheers

Chris Nagg

PS ..... Share those photos

Jeremy87
15-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Lowlight was my first ever dowy at awoonga a few weeks ago.

Highlight was up going up to darwin and chasing barra and sooties in the skinny water and billabongs. The highlight from that trip was sight casting an 80cm fish at my feet on surface on 8lb spin gear and getting absolutely raped.

slyman
15-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Relatively new to this freshwater barra caper. Have only made three trips to Monduran. The highpoints would have to be catching my first freshwater barra on the first trip, and my brother cracking the meter mark on our most recent trip. The lowpoint would definately have to be my two donuts on the last two trips.

robo2242
15-12-2008, 08:06 PM
hi all highlight... having a chance to fish monduran a couple of times this year..... lowlight no barra...but still had a great time hope to have a go early 09 merry x-mas and drive safe regards rob

NAGG
15-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Well I'll start the ball rolling::) (no I wont !!!! .... some were quicker:P )

2008 has been a really special year for me with regard to barra ...... I felt that I started to get the feel of what it was all about.

Ultimately ....... Trev (Awoonga) played a massive part in my development during our (Mighty Whitey) trip way back in March ! ....... At taking a leap of faith & going along with Trevs suggestion to relocate during a tough bite at Mondy to less than favorable conditions at Awoonga ......... & those memorable words "The wind is your friend!" ......... with the end result - more barra in 4 days than what I had ever caught in all my previous barra trips :P Soft plastics moved into a league of their own after that trip! - I also met for the first time Tony & Katie (JEKS) ...... Tony drank all our beer ;D

A Trip to Tinaroo in May ....... & spending time with Matt (Barraboss) ...... loosing a good barra (which made me think long & hard about leaders) - meeting Theo (Tinaroo Triumph) & Andrew (Wheezer) - great blokes that I'm dying to catch up with again8-)

& then there was ......... THE MONDY MUSTER ....... What can you say about the Mondy Muster - a great bunch! - As good as you'd want to meet ........ & the start of an institution........ full of characters & barra knowledge! - - - the all night camp fire yarns .......... but best of all - It will only get better! & The friendships made (Priceless) .
congrats Tony on that winning fish ..... & PB8-)
Catching up a couple of times (in Brissy) with John (Obi-wan) ....... we met at Faust in Oct 07 ..... good/great company 8-)

The ABT ...... As Trev put it "Grand Final Day" ....... Lots to learn - the good , the bad & the frustrating .......... but most of all 24 days of fishing for barra.

Approx 46 days were spent chasing Barra ....... With a better than a barra a day average landed (personally) ........ I managed barra at 100,101,102,103,104 & 106cm ...... my PB.

too many big fish lost ........ way too many! but thats the challenge:P

But my highlight was not mine personally

It was mighty whitey's 112 on the muster trip .......... A pressure team capture of a cracker of a fish - that wasn't giving up - big jumps - 2 hard runs & a stitch up job some 50M away from the hookup point .......... with screaming advice ("Its gone" a couple of times ........ "no its not!" & "back the drag off - back it off" ......... Its not that big ...... BS ... I can barely lift it !!!!!) & with a gallery (Roo & Kim) we managed to land a significant milestone & the best fish of the year for my boat 8-) 39700 Well done Whitey! ...... but I'll get that in 09;D 1 cm at a time ( Yep! 107 , 108 , 109 , 110 , 111 , 112 & 113 ....... 7 meteries at least :P )

What a year

Lets hope 2009 ....... Is just as exciting - I think it will be:D

Cheers all & see you on the water in 2009

Chris

Tropicaltrout
15-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Well its hard to put into words some of the most truley fantastic picturesk times on the water....

The first that springs to mind is fishing hard amounst the stick in May in a small bay off the H section of the dam, I was casting a viper of all things at a log laying down into the water off the bank with another laying across it creating a sort off pool behind it flick the lure several times at this log and on the time were you normally start to loose intrest a fish of the 90cm mark decided to attack, the water erupted and the fish hurdled the log and hit the lure from the top I was so amazed of what just had happened I diddn't bother to strike untill the fish had swam well past the bow of the boat......

Another was being able to film a mate capture of his first mondy metrey, a hard fort bit of filming and fishing with a good result for all.

The latest one was some what a new one for me, I have tageted Barra for quite a few years now and never have I seen Barra in one area free jumping all over the place and I meen all over the place, I drove through what only can be call a freak event, Barra some big some huige free jumping like dolpins clear out of the water, as I drove I thought tomyself what would happen if one landed in the tinny but as the next one jump I was captivated again It lasted several minutes and continued on a slight scale of bow waves for more then a hour or so but That was the high light of my Impoundnent Barra fishing for 08.

To those I have met at the dam either at the musters, sweetwater meet and greet or just around the boat ramp or camp kitchen, its been fantastic to see guys of the same mind and passion for these wonderful fish, and the light heartedness that goes with it around the camp fire make fishing the real winner and greatest gift anyone can give.

Cheers and safe fishing in 09

Nath

TonyM
15-12-2008, 09:12 PM
There were a couple of donuts for me this year and I have to say I don't like the taste of them at all! :hammer:What a year of ups and downs!

Without a doubt my #1 highlite for the year was being able to get up to Mondy for the Muster, meeting a great bunch of characters, getting a Skeeter facelift thanks to Les, and managing to land the trophy fish for the muster on 20lb gear on a new outfit - priceless! :2thumbsup:

I've got 2 more trips to Mondy planned including New Years Eve so hopefully I'll have a few more highlights to talk about before the year is over! :beer:

Cheers
Tony

NAGG
15-12-2008, 09:18 PM
There were a couple of donuts for me this year and I have to say I don't like the taste of them at all! :hammer:What a year of ups and downs!

Without a doubt my #1 highlite for the year was being able to get up to Mondy for the Muster, meeting a great bunch of characters, getting a Skeeter facelift thanks to Les, and managing to land the trophy fish for the muster on 20lb gear on a new outfit - priceless! :2thumbsup:

I've got 2 more trips to Mondy planned including New Years Eve so hopefully I'll have a few more highlights to talk about before the year is over! :beer:

Cheers
Tony

tony ... you are one of the characters that made the muster .... & well done on that great fish

Mate ...... hopefully you dont fill up on pastries before the years out :'( ...... best of luck ........ & hopefully we'll see you at the B Bash

whykickacatalong
15-12-2008, 10:53 PM

Cheers
Tony

And looking forward to it too;D It will be my only barra assalt this year so am really hoping things go to plan. I found 2 yrs back with Tony that there is no better way to bring in the new year than connected to a barra!!!

Dick Pasfield
15-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Best for 08 so far -

Jan 20, 22 and 24th seven over the metre, three in one night.

May 11 two at a metre plus and back home by 830am to pop a cuppa into the wife in bed (mothers day;D)

Sept 19 after 77 days of zip one at 80 or 90 (can't remember the size)

Oct 14 put a mate onto three fish 80,90 and 93. Six others hooked and dropped

Whitto
16-12-2008, 05:57 AM
I guess my highlight for 2008 was not so much How many and what size...(actually had a lean year)..anyone who knows me knows its all about the occasion...The sweetwater M&G and of course The Monduran Muster.....Fantastic to meet new like minded AFishers......PRICELESS.....Hang onto to your hats Boys me thinks Muster 2009 will be bigger than Ben Hur......All good......The Borumba Bash 2009 could be an attendance surprise.....Bring on 2009.......Merry Xmas to all and look forward to meeting you all again.......Cheers Whitto

Whitto
16-12-2008, 06:04 AM
I guess my highlight for 2008 was not so much How many and what size...(actually had a lean year)..anyone who knows me knows its all about the occasion...The sweetwater M&G and of course The Monduran Muster.....Fantastic to meet new like minded AFishers......PRICELESS.....Hang onto to your hats Boys me thinks Muster 2009 will be bigger than Ben Hur......All good......The Borumba Bash 2009 could be an attendance surprise.....Bring on 2009.......To TonyM congrats again on being the winner of the Inaugral Mondy Muster.....Merry Xmas to all and look forward to meeting you all again.......Cheers Whitto

Whitto
16-12-2008, 06:05 AM
OOOOoooppppppssss......an editing Double.....AAAaaahhhhhh Well:-[

NAGG
16-12-2008, 06:06 AM
Best for 08 so far -

Jan 20, 22 and 24th seven over the metre, three in one night.

May 11 two at a metre plus and back home by 830am to pop a cuppa into the wife in bed (mothers day;D)

Sept 19 after 77 days of zip one at 80 or 90 (can't remember the size)

Oct 14 put a mate onto three fish 80,90 and 93. Six others hooked and dropped

We love ya work Dick ....... Its a different slant on barra (from woop woop;) ) & enjoyed by all.
look forward to your new season reports :P

Cheers

chris

NAGG
16-12-2008, 06:14 AM
I guess my highlight for 2008 was not so much How many and what size...(actually had a lean year)..anyone who knows me knows its all about the occasion...The sweetwater M&G and of course The Monduran Muster.....Fantastic to meet new like minded AFishers......PRICELESS.....Hang onto to your hats Boys me thinks Muster 2009 will be bigger than Ben Hur......All good......The Borumba Bash 2009 could be an attendance surprise.....Bring on 2009.......To TonyM congrats again on being the winner of the Inaugral Mondy Muster.....Merry Xmas to all and look forward to meeting you all again.......Cheers Whitto

THE SOCIAL BUTTERFLY HEY!!!! ;D Good onya Whitto - you might be right about the Bash & no doubt the 09 MM will be huge ....... its in all the papers :P ;D - people are taking up Barra fishing just to attend Have a look at how many new faces we have on the Freshwater pages ....... & those non attendees are now ostrasised & no longer appear ::) ;D

Mate ..... but more importantly - we need to see you with some nice 2009 model barra 8-)

Cheers

Chris

Tropicaltrout
16-12-2008, 06:22 AM
One for you chris would be the rise and demise of a certain lures fella?

Whitto
16-12-2008, 06:37 AM
Strange as this may sound I have had a Great year:D....I got so much from our Mate with 4 Many Lures wa...ker...;D

nipsta
16-12-2008, 06:39 AM
Highs and low

well ill start with the highs well of courese a pb in may and a pb in november what more could you ask for the pending birth of my son thats is 3 great things happened for me so far .

lows well i guess crashing the car at mondy in january wasnt a good one for starters and then finally getting to return in feb and i last 5 hours on the water and my back gives way again and to top it off a bent prop shaft on a jack trip when a lady runs up the back of the boat at a roundabout

other then that it has been a great year and cant wait to top it next year

NAGG
16-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Strange as this may sound I have had a Great year:D....I got so much from our Mate with 4 Many Lures wa...ker...;D

WAY TOO MANY ....... Left such an indelible impression that in 1week - I forgot who he was & had to send Nath a pm for some help ::) Clearly someone that touched us all ;D (off to the recycle / bargain bin for those lures)

Chris

Tropicaltrout
16-12-2008, 06:47 AM

You are a great man Whitto;D

NAGG
16-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Highs and low

well ill start with the highs well of courese a pb in may and a pb in november what more could you ask for the pending birth of my son thats is 3 great things happened for me so far .

lows well i guess crashing the car at mondy in january wasnt a good one for starters and then finally getting to return in feb and i last 5 hours on the water and my back gives way again and to top it off a bent prop shaft on a jack trip when a lady runs up the back of the boat at a roundabout

other then that it has been a great year and cant wait to top it next year

what a mixed bag Simon ( Whitey & I did comment on the destroyed fence on the bend .......... we said what sort of tosser would take that short cut - "He must have been keen mate!";D You were lucky!
Love seeing that November girl .......8-) That goes up there with the likes of Homer , The Pig , Matts 127 & Vets 130 ......... Hopefully we'll hear about em all on this thread :P
But ..... your best will be just ahead of you ....... Hope everything goes well:)

cheers

Chris

DEANO68
16-12-2008, 06:56 AM
fellas .. 08 has not been a good year fish wise for me, with three trips to mondy
for one fish in the boat and that was freds , and a few fish that just bricked me .
but the people that i have met this year more than compensate for pastry that 08 has served up....fishos from as far south as sydney (chris) and rite up to matt from cairns...then in the next street ,nath, who i now fish with on a regular basis.and everyone else that i have had the pleasure to meet....you are all a great buch of blokes (and chick) and look forward to catching up in 09..borumba and especially the muster in sept...bring on 09....merry x-mas to you all.......8-)
deano...

NAGG
16-12-2008, 07:17 AM
fellas .. 08 has not been a good year fish wise for me, with three trips to mondy
for one fish in the boat and that was freds , and a few fish that just bricked me .
but the people that i have met this year more than compensate for pastry that 08 has served up....fishos from as far south as sydney (chris) and rite up to matt from cairns...then in the next street ,nath, who i now fish with on a regular basis.and everyone else that i have had the pleasure to meet....you are all a great buch of blokes and look forward to catching up in 09..borumba and especially the muster in sept...bring on 09....merry x-mas to you all.......8-)
deano...

Mate ..... Krispy Cream have a DA in for a drive through at Mondy - Second day of the ABT with only 10 barra landed gives some idea of how fickle the place can be.
But ..... If you are not there casting - you wont have a chance at all

It was great catching up in Sept & Nov - & i'm really looking forward to the Bash too ( but i'm going to need some help on those toga :P )

Cheers

Chris

nipsta
16-12-2008, 07:19 AM
what a mixed bag Simon ( Whitey & I did comment on the destroyed fence on the bend .......... we said what sort of tosser would take that short cut - "He must have been keen mate!";D You were lucky!
Love seeing that November girl .......8-) That goes up there with the likes of Homer , The Pig , Matts 127 & Vets 130 ......... Hopefully we'll hear about em all on this thread :P
But ..... your best will be just ahead of you ....... Hope everything goes well:)

cheers

Chris

once i get back home ythis afternoon i will post picture of the lows just got to change resoloution and they will be good to view the pictures tell the story :D

Peter4
16-12-2008, 07:49 AM
2008 what a mixed bag of a year!!......

Started well with a Mondy trip in January with three barra.

Then came the dreaded run of three consecutive donut trips in March, August & October.....

Nearly finished on an absolute high a week or so ago with a great trip to Mondy that yielded four barra - all on plastics. Why nearly?

Because we head to Mackay on Saturday for the the Faust, Teemburra & Kinchant trifecta and then the Awoonga & Monduran pairing on the way home.......

Yep, it's a bloody tough life..........;D ;D ;D

NAGG
16-12-2008, 08:45 AM
2008 what a mixed bag of a year!!......

Started well with a Mondy trip in January with three barra.

Then came the dreaded run of three consecutive donut trips in March, August & October.....

Nearly finished on an absolute high a week or so ago with a great trip to Mondy that yielded four barra - all on plastics. Why nearly?

Because we head to Mackay on Saturday for the the Faust, Teemburra & Kinchant trifecta and then the Awoonga & Monduran pairing on the way home.......

Yep, it's a bloody tough life..........;D ;D ;D

One of the fortunates that still have the final chapter to write .......... So Hopefully it finishes with a massive high :P

Have a safe trip

Chris

matt fraser
16-12-2008, 12:22 PM
After three Awoonga trips in 2007, (Oct 3 fish in 5 days, Nov 4 fish in 5 days, Dec 5 fish in 2 days). My first 2008 trip was unbelievable (Sep)!

Fishing with Trev (Awoonga) and Scott (Vet) was a massive learning curve. In just three days, 59 barra graced the decks of Trev's new Skeeter. I was fortunate to have landed 22 of them to 115cm. It was the sort of trip that puts you on a high for weeks. Thanks heaps to Scott and Trev.

Trip two was the ABT events at Awoonga, landed four fish to 91cm in five days. But still had a great time.

I've learnt heaps from the Ausfish IBD crew in 2008, look forward to meeting a few more of you in 2009.

Cheers,

Matt

NAGG
16-12-2008, 12:32 PM
After three Awoonga trips in 2007, (Oct 3 fish in 5 days, Nov 4 fish in 5 days, Dec 5 fish in 2 days). My first 2008 trip was unbelievable (Sep)!

Fishing with Trev (Awoonga) and Scott (Vet) was a massive learning curve. In just three days, 59 barra graced the decks of Trev's new Skeeter. I was fortunate to have landed 22 of them to 115cm. It was the sort of trip that puts you on a high for weeks. Thanks heaps to Scott and Trev.

Trip two was the ABT events at Awoonga, landed four fish to 91cm in five days. But still had a great time.

I've learnt heaps from the Ausfish IBD crew in 2008, look forward to meeting a few more of you in 2009.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt ...... That comp you guys fished would have been awesome:P

- Didn't someone say "You could have caught em on a Sh#t sandwich" though::) ........ You guys slayed em!!

Now Matt ...... you are the type of bloke that we need at the Mondy Muster in Sept .......... You should pencil it in8-)

Chris

Pete62
16-12-2008, 01:04 PM
My 2 bobs worth..................... for me the highlight of the year on a fishing front, sad as it may seem, was actually finding.................... GOD...................ah just kiddin', close though, finding Ausfish, I have really enjoyed chatting and reading about our fav pastime, infactuation, hobby, from that, I have developed new skills, brushed up on some old ones and met a few fellow AFers along the way.

I am looking forward to '09 with a Mondy trip in Feb, hopefully a Weipa trip with my old man and the MM in Sept.

Cheers and HO Ho HO

Pete,

nipsta
16-12-2008, 01:04 PM

Cheers,

Matt

matt we all look forward to catching up with you as well hope you can make a few of our gathering this year to start things of borumba and then mondy muster which will be awsome this year ( and for those who have put there hand up the snip muster at the sam time ) I have seen a fewof the dvds of dam hot and also enjoyed ya bit of jack fishing in the nerang river on coastal watach would be good to discuss a few things with and pick up a few hints on the red devils as they have become my favirote fish next to barra

NAGG
16-12-2008, 07:00 PM
My 2 bobs worth..................... for me the highlight of the year on a fishing front, sad as it may seem, was actually finding.................... GOD...................ah just kiddin', close though, finding Ausfish, I have really enjoyed chatting and reading about our fav pastime, infactuation, hobby, from that, I have developed new skills, brushed up on some old ones and met a few fellow AFers along the way.

I am looking forward to '09 with a Mondy trip in Feb, hopefully a Weipa trip with my old man and the MM in Sept.

Cheers and HO Ho HO

Pete,

Was the man hanging out with Elvis ? ......... Maybe he can join us for the Bash & Muster .......... I hear his boat is awesome :P

Chris

BR65
16-12-2008, 08:18 PM
I sat on this one a bit to make sure I got it right, so here goes:

High points are many, putting a few of my IBV mates (impoudment barra virgins) onto their first fish, and sharing in their enthusiasim after the release, watching Simon beat his PB twice with cracker fish, cracking my first meter plus after a long string of 99's, the whole camping/fishing thing, yakking to the lads on here and then putting a face to a name up there, pulling fish in winter, discovering the joy of a curried chicken pie from The Travellers Rest at Gin Gin for brekky, each trip is a high point.
Low point - the bloody boring drive up that highway, dropping my best ever fish a couple of weeks ago to leader failure, backing down the concrete ramp at 18% water level, 4am in the morning and a hang over that would kill a large dog lol.

NAGG
16-12-2008, 08:33 PM
I sat on this one a bit to make sure I got it right, so here goes:

High points are many, putting a few of my IBV mates (impoudment barra virgins) onto their first fish, and sharing in their enthusiasim after the release, watching Simon beat his PB twice with cracker fish, cracking my first meter plus after a long string of 99's, the whole camping/fishing thing, yakking to the lads on here and then putting a face to a name up there, pulling fish in winter, discovering the joy of a curried chicken pie from The Travellers Rest at Gin Gin for brekky, each trip is a high point.
Low point - the bloody boring drive up that highway, dropping my best ever fish a couple of weeks ago to leader failure, backing down the concrete ramp at 18% water level, 4am in the morning and a hang over that would kill a large dog lol.

There is something about watching someone catch their first or a PB ........ specially if you've had some involvement8-)

I know the pressure will be on in 2009 when I get the opportunity to play guide to some barra virgins ......... I might get some extra help ::) ;D

Chris

PS ....... How do you rate your results ?

BR65
16-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Numbers of fish were down per trip, but quality was certainly up, as you would expect with the passing of another year.
Im reasonably hapy with the on water results mate, still managed to find a fish or two casting in a dam that doubled in size in Febuary, and seemed to suffer "tuff bite syndrome" for a fair part of the year.

Swansong is this week end, a little dash and splash trip to see whats happening up there.

NAGG
16-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Numbers of fish were down per trip, but quality was certainly up, as you would expect with the passing of another year.
Im reasonably hapy with the on water results mate, still managed to find a fish or two casting in a dam that doubled in size in Febuary, and seemed to suffer "tuff bite syndrome" for a fair part of the year.

Swansong is this week end, a little dash and splash trip to see whats happening up there.

another unfinished symphony ......... hopefully Brian you nail a few big girls (& barra too ;D ).

Good onya

Chris

Big_Ren
17-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Merry Christmas guys and girl

Highlights for me were: Putting more AF faces to the names, increasing my own barra angling knowledge and thinking about what I was doing a lot more, and of course finally getting my new rig in July.

Lowlights: seeing any dead impoundment barra, and one particularly comes to mind.......witnessing one particular hillbilly merrily trolling his way through B with a sizeable barra (still alive and gasping) tethered to his boat. I still can't rid myself of the mental image:( So sad.

Cheers
Paul

NAGG
17-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Merry Christmas guys and girl

Highlights for me were: Putting more AF faces to the names, increasing my own barra angling knowledge and thinking about what I was doing a lot more, and of course finally getting my new rig in July.

Lowlights: seeing any dead impoundment barra, and one particularly comes to mind.......witnessing one particular hillbilly merrily trolling his way through B with a size able barra (still alive and gasping) tethered to his boat. I still can't rid myself of the mental image:( So sad.

Cheers
Paul

I know we shouldn't be this way ...... because everyone is entitled to take a barra for the table (as long as it is size) - But to me & my way of thinking , there is something not quite right about killing a big girl ....... Once you see them on the brag mat & get those photos - They usually stay calm & then swim off with maybe just a splash of the tail ........... they are like a big Labrador dog
But having one alive and tethered to the side of the boat ....... thats sick>:(

Chris

Big_Ren
17-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Too true Chris. I fully support all the underlying principles of put and take, but I am absolutely with you about the majesty of these creatures. I certainly have no intention of starting any debate about C&R or keeping fish, it's just MHO.

The tethering of the barra (I have seen it on two occasions now, once the fish was alive as we were close enough to their boat, the other occasion it was certainly dead) is a distressing sight. I am no tree hugger, but something is just not right with this. A humane dispatch with an iki jimi would have been the lesser of the two evils.

NAGG
17-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Yes Paul ..... the C&R debate has been done to death::)

But killing a fish for the table ....... It needs to be prepared & handled / stored properly. With 30 Deg water & 30 Deg ++ ambient temps ...... fish flesh will go off so quickly ......... Dont tell me that if they catch 1 at 6 or 7am they are quickly going to get off the water ..... back to camp so they can prepare that fish.

No wonder so many fish get chucked >:( At least when you see a boat with a ice box the size of a coffin ........ you know their intention!!!!

Yes Paul ...... I feel like you on this one

Chris

2manylures
17-12-2008, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the very kind words Whitto.

I'd like to wish you and your family a very merry x-mas & a safe & happy new year.

NAGG
17-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Whitto http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=941330#post941330)

I'd like to wish you and your family a very merry x-mas & a safe & happy new year.

Totally uncalled for Whitto ....... not what I expected from you;) ;D

Chris

Whitto
17-12-2008, 06:15 PM

I'd like to wish you and your family a very merry x-mas & a safe & happy new year. Im a man of few words......Instead I will treat your past comments with the contempt they deserve.

Steve B
17-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Highlights...lots but Homer was up there! Putting my neighbour Spud onto his first barra (and plenty more after that) Meeting heaps of top blokes here and there from Ausfish stands out too.

Low's....just 1. Sunday 14 sept 5 am.

ABT tour had its share of highs and lows and some funny stuff in between!!

cheers Steve,

NAGG
17-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Highlights...lots but Homer was up there! Putting my neighbour Spud onto his first barra (and plenty more after that) Meeting heaps of top blokes here and there from Ausfish stands out too.

Low's....just 1. Sunday 14 sept 5 am.

ABT tour had its share of highs and lows and some funny stuff in between!!

cheers Steve,

Steve ...... It was great to finally meet - Your one genuine good bloke:)

Everyone stuffs up at some stage & seriously - thank god you got through it ............

Homer ...... what we all aspire to - well done

Chris

nipsta
17-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Steve ...... It was great to finally meet - Your one genuine good bloke:)

Everyone stuffs up at some stage & seriously - thank god you got through it ............

Homer ...... what we all aspire to - well done

Chris

yeah stev look chris has finally relized live in cockaroach land can be harmfull to ya health so next year he will be in gods country and not far from paradise :P

TonyM
17-12-2008, 07:21 PM
yeah stev look chris has finally relized live in cockaroach land can be harmfull to ya health so next year he will be in gods country and not far from paradise :P

Yep I agree - I reckon Daryl (or is it Darren? - hey where's Lyndon lately?) aughta bring some Bjelke Blue for Chris to chew on while he downs his XXXX

We'll make a QLD'er outta him yet (well once he's done the obligatory 20 yr sentence anyway) ;D

Steve - good to hear from you mate - I hope the smell of ozone has gone now? Or is it sticking around? :D

Mark - Shhhhhhh!!!!!!!! ::);D

Cheers
Tony

NAGG
17-12-2008, 07:30 PM

& getting closer now ....... had a discussion with the boss a couple of hours ago - February it is ........

Then you buggers are going to be hounded to death - me looking for someone to go fishing with ::) ;D .....

Decided on the Manly Wynnum area ......looks good to me :P

Chris

nipsta
17-12-2008, 07:39 PM
& getting closer now ....... had a discussion with the boss a couple of hours ago - February it is ........

Then you buggers are going to be hounded to death - me looking for someone to go fishing with ::) ;D .....

Chris

not a bad area i think been a while since ive been down there but close to snapper land

DEANO68
17-12-2008, 07:40 PM

Chris

close to the bridge and hiway north , good choice...;)

NAGG
17-12-2008, 07:45 PM
not a bad area i think been a while since ive been down there but close to snapper land

snapper land , Brissy River & road North & South:P ........ Oh & work wise easy access to our customer base::) I spent an afternoon over there a couple weeks back - I'd be happy

darylive
17-12-2008, 08:21 PM
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/SERENITY%20B.JPG

Well clearly I am having as much luck with this bloody computer as I did fishing this year >:(

TinarooTriumph
17-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Lots of moments to look back on over the last year... have learn't more then I ever thought I would in a lifetime. As the saying goes, the more time you spend on the water at the one location over a period of time the more experience you gain. How bloody true is that. The last 3 months have been awesome... I havn't even bothered keeping a tally on the fish but there's still a few more to come before years end.

Cheers

Theo

NAGG
17-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Lots of moments to look back on over the last year... have learn't more then I ever thought I would in a lifetime. As the saying goes, the more time you spend on the water at the one location over a period of time the more experience you gain. How bloody true is that. The last 3 months have been awesome... I havn't even bothered keeping a tally on the fish but there's still a few more to come before years end.

Cheers

Theo

What a play ground you have Theo ........ it was great catching up with you back in May
Mate ..... but we need some more of your posts:P

Chris

BR65
17-12-2008, 08:50 PM
New high light, Darryls avatar, nice work mate, some new PB's there

darylive
17-12-2008, 09:05 PM
New high light, Darryls avatar, nice work mate, some new PB's there

As with fishing the best policy is catch and release.

Fresh is always best!

Daryl

BR65
17-12-2008, 09:21 PM

Fresh is always best!

Daryl

......;D ;D ;D

NAGG
17-12-2008, 09:24 PM

Fresh is always best!

Daryl

I can picture them on my brag mat :P :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* ....... worth tagging too

Steve B
17-12-2008, 09:28 PM
[quote=BR65;942153]New high light, Darryls avatar, nice work mate, some new PB's there[/quot

Add that avater to my highlights. love it D!!!

Tony, yeah the smell of ozone still reeeks!! finally got the computer back online!! will start posting again properly soon........sorry!!:D

thanks Chris for the kind words mate. I will reply to one of your ABT posts soon. I have a bit to say....all good.

cheers Steve

Hey Simon, hope all is good with the 'bun in the oven' mate!!

BR65
17-12-2008, 09:31 PM
what are conditions like up your way at the moment Steve??

Steve B
17-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Brian,
Its as hot as the specimens in Daryls avatar!!!!!

Barra are quiet though....too hot!
steve

BR65
17-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Ahh, a challange then! Thanks mate, I'll be on the water this week end if your out and about, you know my little 4 mt hornet now, useing the "blue ute" this week end.

nipsta
18-12-2008, 06:11 AM
[quote=BR65;942153]New high light, Darryls avatar, nice work mate, some new PB's there[/quot

Add that avater to my highlights. love it D!!!

Tony, yeah the smell of ozone still reeeks!! finally got the computer back online!! will start posting again properly soon........sorry!!:D

thanks Chris for the kind words mate. I will reply to one of your ABT posts soon. I have a bit to say....all good.

cheers Steve

Hey Simon, hope all is good with the 'bun in the oven' mate!!

yes all going great so far only 2 and a bit months roughly to go so you all excited
just got one thing left to paint for the boss and my work is done apparently new bub things must look different they didnt tell me that at the birth classes lol we been stocking up on things for a while even when we where st gin gin last month we got nappys cheap so we grab them nath missus laugh could belive we bought them but hey money is money and every bit we save can go to buying more llllllllllluuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrreeeeeeesssssss hehehehe my plan is coming together wooooohhhhhhaaaaaaok enough wierd talk back to fishing

NAGG
18-12-2008, 06:31 AM
[quote=Steve B;942175]

yes all going great so far only 2 and a bit months roughly to go so you all excited
just got one thing left to paint for the boss and my work is done apparently new bub things must look different they didnt tell me that at the birth classes lol we been stocking up on things for a while even when we where st gin gin last month we got nappys cheap so we grab them nath missus laugh could belive we bought them but hey money is money and every bit we save can go to buying more llllllllllluuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrreeeeeeesssssss hehehehe my plan is coming together wooooohhhhhhaaaaaaok enough wierd talk back to fishing

Gee I just had to check whether I logged onto a mothers support group website::) ........ Phew , Yeh back to fishinn talk:P

Chris

Whitto
18-12-2008, 07:03 AM
[quote=nipsta;942230]

Gee I just had to check whether I logged onto a mothers support group website::) ........ Phew , Yeh back to fishinn talk:P

Chris A bit of sympathy Chris....This a wonderful time in a young couples life:D.....Baby waking up every 2 hrs.....Feeds every 3/4 hrs....shitty nappies.....Teething.....Ear nose and throat issues:(.....Of course being a Grandfather (Poppy) I just hand the kids back to their parents after a couple of hours (Great Deal);D......I can understand Simons excitement Mel is about to give birth to their SON........Priceless:bdaycake::laola:

NAGG
21-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Here is a little montage of some of the better barra that came into the boat during trips in March , September & November! ...... Destinations that were most fruitful were Awoonga & Monduran ...... Though other destinations included Teemburra , Faust , Tinaroo & Kinchant

Here is my first Awoonga metery taken on a black & gold 130mm slick rig during our Sept trip ....39898... With Whitey kicking my butt - It was the biggest fish landed at the big "A" - - - 39897 My new PB @ 106cm taken during the ABT Awoonga Evening championship ...... A little 4" Hollowbelly rigged weedless was the undoing of this little lady - not 30M from where the fish above was landed

During a red hot moonrise bite at Naggs point -Mondy (Sept) Mighty Whitey managed to land this lady ..39899... Fortunately while it managed to stitch him up behind the boat to the sounds of "Its gone!" we were able to unwind her & put her in the boat ...... WHAT A NIGHT! >39901 ..I managed a good fish as well after a monumental strike right in the lantana ...... As we were casting long from a tied off tree - we threw the buoy & chased her down in more open water ..... Thats fun

Known as the tree (South arm of B @ Mondy) - We had a cracker of a time back in Sept Some great fish were landed including this 103cm girl which was taken on a 6" Storm Swim shad 39904 One session saw 3 fish landed in 10 mins .... before the blow flies moved in :angryfire: 39906 MW landed his first metery at the tree during an earlier session .... what a spot:thumbsup:

So this is what a $200 barra looks like - 39907My first pay cheque in an ABT event (Mondy) . Without a doubt this is my most memorable capture .... maybe it had something to do with using bass gear

39911 Back at Nagg Whitey lands another metery during our Sept trip ...... Black & gold slick rigs once again proved to be the most successful lure

The barra of the year for my boat 39890 This was a great capture ... A massive strike at Naggs Pt that saw the big girl do some porpoising jumps - two long runs (We actually thought it was heading to Roo & Kim who we anchored to our right... After throwing the buoy it was a race to beat an obviously good fish to some free standing timber .... some adept boat maneuvering on the leccy (& barking orders that would make any army drill instructor proud ) saw the big girl surface & landed - a great capture & new PB for Whitey @ 112cm ...... If Whitey was hooked on Barra ...... He is now addicted & suffers from IBD too:sick2:

So that was some of the best of our northern sojourns during 08 ...... & with a whole different situation facing me for 2009 ( living in Brissy) ..... I'm hoping for more of the same & then some ........ Bring on 2009 I say

Cheers

Chris

BR65
22-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Nice Chris, imagine your results next year when you live up here and its only a hop up the road for a week end fish!

Heres a bit more from me
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=943737#post943737

NAGG
22-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Nice Chris, imagine your results next year when you live up here and its only a hop up the road for a week end fish!

Heres a bit more from me

Not wrong Brian ....... We wont have to cram in so much + eliminating 11 hours each way ....... which can be used as fishing time:P

Chris

NAGG
22-12-2008, 11:08 AM

Heres a bit more from me

Not wrong Brian ....... We wont have to cram in so much + eliminating 11 hours each way ....... which can be used as fishing time:P

Chris

Whitto
22-12-2008, 03:47 PM
See your Stuttering already with excitement;D

NAGG
22-12-2008, 04:46 PM

Thats twice in a couple of days ...... bloody puta::)

BR65
22-12-2008, 07:35 PM

Funny;D;D ;D ;D

Tropicaltrout
22-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Here are a couple of fish I took throught the year, a harder year this year but broke my pb twice and yes had a ball of a time, still a chance of a couple more yet, but if not a great year was had.... Come on 09

BR65
22-12-2008, 07:57 PM
She's seen a fish or 2 that tinny mate hey.

Sideways post:
Heres a thought, has all the banter, yakking, pics, reports etc etc made a difference to how we have fished this year, both technique and results wise? Does anyone feel they have lifted the game a bit by logging on to this flippin site?

NAGG
22-12-2008, 08:18 PM
She's seen a fish or 2 that tinny mate hey.

Sideways post:
Heres a thought, has all the banter, yakking, pics, reports etc etc made a difference to how we have fished this year, both technique and results wise? Does anyone feel they have lifted the game a bit by logging on to this flippin site?

Mate ...... too bloody right :P There are always tips & snippits of info .
My contact with the likes of Trev(Awoonga) ..... the single biggest influence in my barra fishing has come directly through this site.
Friendships have been made ..... That have given me the incentive to up stumps & relocate.
Furthermore ...... where I was a frequent user of a couple of southern based sites - these have gone bye bye in favour of Ausfish & particularly the IBDers 8-) Those tossers know nothing of barra ...... & besides .. who cares about gummy sharks ::) ;D

Chris

Obi _ Wan
23-12-2008, 10:02 PM
2008 What a Year :) Many highs and a few lows ;D

We will have a look at the high points of my year first ;)

Finally acepted Trev's (Awoonga) invitation to fish Awoonga for the first time 8-) four days and barra every day, best fish spot on a meter :)

Got the call from Trev again (Awoonga) in early September for another four days, just to try the new Skeeter 8-) First day no fish trouble with motor. Second day fished with Scotty (Vet) in his poly, i managed one fish at 107cm's, Thanks for that Scotty. Third day, Skeeter still at the Doctor fished with Trev in Scotty's poly, i managed two fish, one at 117cm,s and the other around the 90cm mark 8-)
Fourth day back in the Skeeter, got a full face lift, shite it's quick, Trev managed a couple of very small fish at the death :)
I would like to Thank Trevor for his hospitality and friendship, the bloke is a champion. 8-)

Calling in to Mondy on the way back from Awoonga, meeting Whitto, seeing Chris ans Whitey again and watching the circus erecting a tent, hearing the Monkey storey from Whitey :LMAO:

The low points are, firstly losing my job at the end of February (apparently to old) and a shocker of a trip to what was my most favorite place in the world, Peter Faust :'(
To say that it would have blown a dog off a chain is not quite right, It would have blown the hair off a dog :(
Lost two good fish in the sticks and saw fish to 40cm's on the deck, very disapointing :'(

Merry Christmas All :) :)

John.

NAGG
23-12-2008, 10:12 PM
2008 What a Year :) Many highs and a few lows ;D

We will have a look at the high points of my year first ;)

Finally acepted Trev's (Awoonga) invitation to fish Awoonga for the first time 8-) four days and barra every day, best fish spot on a meter :)

Got the call from Trev again (Awoonga) in early September for another four days, just to try the new Skeeter 8-) First day no fish trouble with motor. Second day fished with Scotty (Vet) in his poly, i managed one fish at 107cm's, Thanks for that Scotty. Third day, Skeeter still at the Doctor fished with Trev in Scotty's poly, i managed two fish, one at 117cm,s and the other around the 90cm mark 8-)
Fourth day back in the Skeeter, got a full face lift, shite it's quick, Trev managed a couple of very small fish at the death :)
I would like to Thank Trevor for his hospitality and friendship, the bloke is a champion. 8-)

Calling in to Mondy on the way back from Awoonga, meeting Whitto, seeing Chris ans Whitey again and watching the circus erecting a tent, hearing the Monkey storey from Whitey :LMAO:

The low points are, firstly losing my job at the end of February (apparently to old) and a shocker of a trip to what was my most favorite place in the world, Peter Faust :'(
To say that it would have blown a dog off a chain is not quite right, It would have blown the hair off a dog :(
Lost two good fish in the sticks and saw fish to 40cm's on the deck, very disapointing :'(

Merry Christmas All :) :)

John.

A real roller coaster ride John ......... fortunately you got some great results closer to home ........ Gee I did too

Well done & see you on the water next year 8-)

Chris