PDA

View Full Version : Peter Faust, Teemburra & Kinchant

Peter4
15-12-2008, 09:09 AM
G'day guys & Gals,

Kyle & I are heading up to Mackay for Xmas and while we are there we plan to target barra and sooties in the above dams, as well as hitting Awoonga and Monduran on the way home. We have not visited these dams or fished for sooty grunter before.....

We are after any hints, tips or areas for particular impoundments that will put us in for a good chance as we can only spend one day in each dam. NAGG has already given me some info for Kinchant.........

Please either reply to this post or PM me if you prefer. Any info would be helpfull...

Thanks in anticipation.:D

Pete

chewy01
15-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi pete,
fish small lures at teemburra 100mm or less. small classics,manns little lucifers. its a really good topwater dam particularly up past the old shed in the arvos. Also we found rattlin spots really good so all the jackalls etcc should work. Softies down to 50mm will also get fish. i imagine the smaller hollowbellies wood work. Dont discount fishing right down at the ramp. there are high concentrations of fish there. Andy gotone right off the ramp while i was pulling the boat out last trip.
cheers chewy...

black_sheep
15-12-2008, 01:49 PM
small classics,manns little lucifers.
cheers chewy...[/quote]

Pete - Chewy is trying to mislead you mate, he's a sneaky bugger;) . Think he meant to say Reidy's Little Lucifer. Seriously though, they are a gun lure. Mate uses them a lot on metre plus fish at Tinaroo.

Sounds like an awesome trip though.

anthony72
15-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi Pete,

A mate of mine has done really well lately at Faust, using halco poltergist (purple) trolling early morning from dam wall and just working his way to the timber.

Last week he caught 123, 106 and 111 - Also he has done well using classic pros as well, he hits the water around 3.30 to 4.00am and has had a couple of double hook ups. He went out weekend for a donut but the trolling has worked pretty well for him, let me know if you need any other details.

NAGG
15-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Hey Pete ...... You've been given some good advice on the hardbodies & plastics:P
Dont be afraid to throw bigger lures / plastics too ........ Teemburra & Kinchant both have big fish in there too ......... & lots of 80-90s which will go a 110 or 130 slicky ( boil them first though ..... 4 mins 20 sec ::) )

Now ...... Here is some hindsight advice that I wish I had cottoned onto ealier

Those hollowbellies work ..... & rigged weedless they would be great at all the dams but particularly at Kinchant & Teemburra ......... as you can work them ultra slow
Here are my must have placcies aside from the usual 100, 110 & 130mm slick rigs 39681
The hooks used a TT 8/O ?? Weighted worm hook for the 6" Hollowbelly & a Nitro 5/O 7g all Terrain jig head for the 4" Hollow

The other lure is a 8cm Storm Wildeye swim shad :P ......

Mate you guys should have a ball

Chris

BobbyJ123
16-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Hey Pete ...... You've been given some good advice on the hardbodies & plastics:P
Dont be afraid to throw bigger lures / plastics too ........ Teemburra & Kinchant both have big fish in there too ......... & lots of 80-90s which will go a 110 or 130 slicky ( boil them first though ..... 4 mins 20 sec ::) )

Now ...... Here is some hindsight advice that I wish I had cottoned onto ealier

Those hollowbellies work ..... & rigged weedless they would be great at all the dams but particularly at Kinchant & Teemburra ......... as you can work them ultra slow
Here are my must have placcies aside from the usual 100, 110 & 130mm slick rigs 39681
The hooks used a TT 8/O ?? Weighted worm hook for the 6" Hollowbelly & a Nitro 5/O 7g all Terrain jig head for the 4" Hollow

The other lure is a 8cm Storm Wildeye swim shad :P ......

Mate you guys should have a ball

Chris
Having been fishing Kinchant for the past 7 years, I still have not managed a barra on a softie. One trip, spent 2 hours using hollow bellies, horny toads and squidgies for zilch, tied on a B52 and ended up with 9 barra in 90 minutes. All my fish have been caught on hb lures, mainly barrabaits and vipers. This last few weeks have been quite good in the weeds, ripping short B52 lures in the weed channels

chewy01
16-12-2008, 05:37 AM
Garrr,
nav there should be a comma after the manns. dave uses the good old stretch 10 up there with good results.As if id lead any1 astray:):)

NAGG
16-12-2008, 06:00 AM
Having been fishing Kinchant for the past 7 years, I still have not managed a barra on a softie. One trip, spent 2 hours using hollow bellies, horny toads and squidgies for zilch, tied on a B52 and ended up with 9 barra in 90 minutes. All my fish have been caught on hb lures, mainly barrabaits and vipers. This last few weeks have been quite good in the weeds, ripping short B52 lures in the weed channels

Hi Bobby

We managed a couple at Kinchant on plastics ....... but traditionally rigged squidgy fish
I think with the HBellies rigged ..... the way I suggested - results would come specially when you can fish those patches in between the weed that would be difficult if not near impossible to fish with a traditional plastic or Hard body presentation
Give it a go :P

Chris

birko
16-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Pete

Can only comment on teemburra, but make sure you take a river 2 sea popper with you and dont heasitate to use it any time durring the day around the edges.

As Chris has said the 100mm hollow bellies work well as do 80mm squidgie fish (not pre rigged) both with a quater ounce weight.

I can take you for a quick tour of teemburra and highlight a few areas for you that may save you a bit of time (but wont garantee fish). Give a hoy if interested and we can organise timing.

Cheers
Birko

black_sheep
16-12-2008, 01:38 PM
I know Chewy, that's why you my guide at xmas:-*.

BR65
16-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Safe trip pete, merry xmas to you and family if we dont hear from ya over the break

TinarooTriumph
16-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey Pete.

Good luck on the trip.

Faust is fishing a bit tough at the moment... trollers are picking off a few here and there. A mate rang and told me of a blinder session he had up near where Cattle Ck runs into the Dam and they got into em' on the old Faust favourite, the 12+ Barrabaits. This was mid morning stuff... early morning they weren't too serious about fishing (heavy drinkers) but mid morning they were starting to put in the time. Also I think from what I heard about the ABT event up there a few weeks ago that the fish were coming from right up the back of the Lake where Prossy flows into the Dam. This might still be the case come your trip.

Definitely pack a few smaller Lures for Kinchant and Teemburra. If the Barra are slow then you could pick up a few Sooties from around the timber as a by catch. Little Lucifers are an awesome Barra and Sooty lure. Killalure Terminators are another one as are Mad Mullets from Lively Lures. I enjoy fishing smaller Lures on light gear and it works an absolute treat sometimes for Barra when they are often a little fickle and hard to get during the daytime.

Hope this helps.

Theo

Whitto
17-12-2008, 06:49 AM
G'day guys & Gals,

Kyle & I are heading up to Mackay for Xmas and while we are there we plan to target barra and sooties in the above dams, as well as hitting Awoonga and Monduran on the way home. We have not visited these dams or fished for sooty grunter before.....

We are after any hints, tips or areas for particular impoundments that will put us in for a good chance as we can only spend one day in each dam. NAGG has already given me some info for Kinchant.........

Please either reply to this post or PM me if you prefer. Any info would be helpfull...

Thanks in anticipation.:D

Pete Pete I have no pearls of wisdom for you.....as I have only fished Monduran (can't seem to drive past the place ).....Have a great Festive season and look forward to meeting you sometime in the New Year over a Beer and Fire....Take care in your travels and enjoy....Whitto

NAGG
17-12-2008, 08:04 AM
You guys must be jumping out of your skins ......... What a trip (like the ABT)

Mate you should have a ball ....... specially before the rush really starts:P

So where are you at first ?

Chris

PS .... dont forget to call in at Proserpine bait & tackle - Lyndsay will give you the lowdown ..... straight up!

Peter4
17-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks to all for your replies and tips.

Our plan of attack (remembering that this is a family Xmas holiday not a dedicated fishing trip):

Saturday 20/12 we travel, with boat, to Mackay.
Sunday social day that includes BBQ with friends.
Monday is an early start with the aim to hit Teemburra at dawn. Fish all day.
Tuesday rest, recovery, drinks, food etc
Wednesday more of Tuesday's activities
Thursday (Xmas day) very early start so as to lauch at Peter Faust at dawn. Fish all day
Friday rest, recovery, drinks, food etc
Saturday dawn surface session at Kinchant
Sunday girls fly home and Kyle & I head to Awoonga for afternoon session
Monday full day at Awoonga
Tuesday morning session at Awoonga, drive to Monduran for afternoon session
Wednesday morning session at Monduran and back to Brisbane at lunchtime
Thursday clean down boat and rest, rest, rest

Hopefully we will have a few pics and stories to report..........;D

Obi _ Wan
17-12-2008, 11:47 AM
PS .... dont forget to call in at Proserpine bait & tackle - Lyndsay will give you the lowdown ..... straight up!

G'Day Pete,

The above quote from Chris's (Nagg) in MHO is the most important, no other person knows Faust like Lindsay, having a chat to him is a must.

Other than that, have a safe trip, enjoy and a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours. :)

Cheers,

John.

Colo77
27-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi Pete,

Hope you had a blinder up here in the North. I wish I had of logged in sooner. I recently did an overnighter at Kinchant & spent 2 days at Teemburra between 12th & 15th of dec.

I don't visit the dams as often as I like to but found the fishing pretty tough at both locations on that particular weekend. I think all the other guys have the good oil but this is a quick run down on what did & didn't work for me. All lures were cast & retrieved on 30lb main line with 60lb twisted leader on a 6kg rod.

Kinchant - 11th/12th. Arrived at the dam late arvo. Headed straight up the back of dam to fish the weed beds. Hooked 1 1m+ fish which spat me soon after on 110mm slick rig & that was the last of the big guys I saw all night. Bites came sporadically up to about 2:30am with no solid connections. All the bites came on the slick rigs 110 & 130mm. Come daylight I worked out what was going on. The fish were very shy & just swiped at my offerings but would never find the pointy bit. They would follow nearly all the way back to the boat but seldom have a go. Left the dam at about 9am. The only fish in the boat was a 53cm rat. All locations were weed beds 2.5 - 3m deep.

Teemburra - 13th-15th. Arrived once again late arvo. Frustratingly, bites were few & far between all weekend. The one hot bite I had was straight after a massive storm on the Sunday arvo with 5 fish in the boat in about 25 min (all rats grrr) between 45-60 cm. The one thing I did notice was that all bites came from very shallow water, less than 2ft on black gold squidgies with a stinger treble in among small spindly sticks. Again all fish came on slick rigs except for a couple of exciting surface strikes mon morn. I tried all different spots all over the dam but just couldn't seem to come up with the goods. I got a couple of touches from weed beds but all the decent hits came from shallow water in backs of bays & shallow points.

In the end I only got 6 fish for the weekend & all small & all on slick rigs. The lures I swam over the weekend included the slick rigs, x-raps in various sizes/colours, x walks & tango dancers. Interestingly none of these lures were less than 100mm & some of the guys have mentioned 100mm or less are the goods. They must be on to something?

Most spots I fished at both dams were 2.5 - 3.5 m of water with most bites coming from the other spots I tried with 1m or less of water.

Hopefully this will help people with what not to do (other than the shallow water action). I think next time I visit & the bites are slow like that I will try to downsize everything (line, leader & lure). Perhaps even try the long wand for a more subtle approach.

My only companions for the whole weekeng were Rex & Tess (my blue heeler & collie). They didn't offer any good suggstions (conversation was pretty slow) but if any ausfishers around Mackay would like to come for a session some time some human company would be a pleasant change & probably more beneficial to nut out what's working on on a given day. Just PM me. Most of my visits are night sessions to fit in with my busy family life & my favourite spot is Teemburra. I also enjoy chasing sooties in the Pioneer.

Best of luck to all over the festive season & a prosperous new year. Hope you had a good one Pete, I'm eagerly awaiting a report when you get back.

Colo

Colo77
27-12-2008, 01:15 PM
:) merry xmas

BR65
27-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Good on ya Colo, some good info there, cheers for the effort mate
have a safe xmas
cheers
brian

BobbyJ123
28-12-2008, 04:55 AM
Hopefully, will be heading to Kinchant on Monday 7am to have another 3 hour session with the barra. Name of my tinny is "GT". If you are there, say "G'day"....

BobbyJ123
28-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Bugga 2.5 inches of rain and still pouring. Might service some reels, instead...