PDA

View Full Version : A huge week for Brisbane Valley Impoundments

aussiebasser
13-12-2008, 06:30 PM
This week has seen a flurry of activity on Brisbane Valley's lakes as the fish stocking season hits its peak.

Lake Somerset (http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Somerset.htm) has seen 50 000 Golden Perch released earlier in the week and then 10 400 Mary River Cod liberated.
Lake Wivenhoe (http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Wivenhoe.htm) has also received 6000 Mary River Cod released at Logans Inlet.

Next monday (15 December) will see over 200 000 Australian Bass released by S&WFSA (http://swfsa.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/) into Lake Somerset & in excess of 100 000 into Lake Wivenhoe.

These Bass are, in the majority, paid for with funds from the Stocked Impoundment Permit (SIP)

All fish released are around 50mm long when released and can grow to 25+cm in their first year, after which growth rates slow down.

The timing of these releases couldn't be better. With current inflows to these two lakes there is plenty of shoreline cover for the fingerlings to find cover in & as always with an inflow there is a higher levels of food for the little fish to feed on.

As always, the releasing of these fish is assisted by the helpful staff at SEQWater who provide support staff and boats. http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/Smileys/default/Thumb.gif

If you would like to become involved in the work done by the Somerset & Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Assn (S&WFSA) meetings are on the third Wednesday of each calendar month (except December) at the Fernvale Futures Complex, Fernvale at 7:30pm.

BR65
13-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Go the SIP, great to see our hard earned being put to its intended use by the government for a change.
Thanks for the up-date Basser.

cheers
brian

Bud-dy
13-12-2008, 09:46 PM
That is good news for the dams.
On a slightly different note, where did you get the golden perch from ?
And that information on the first year of growth of Aust.Bass ( growing to 25 cms ) where did that info. come from ??
The reason I ask is that I'm from Lake MacDonald Stocking Group and 1 we are finding it hard to get yellas, and secondly I am catching 10 to 11 cm Bass in the lake the problem with that is we only stocked Bass a couple of weeks ago ( therefore can't be from that stocking ) SO they must be from 13 months ago stocking which means that we have a very, very low growth rate ??
Paul

Gordie
14-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Those stocking numbers re nice to read mate.

You will have times when you will run into those little bass fella's and they wont stop wacking your lure, so be kind and release them carefully please.

Gordon

Jeremy87
14-12-2008, 06:04 PM
That is good news for the dams.
On a slightly different note, where did you get the golden perch from ?
And that information on the first year of growth of Aust.Bass ( growing to 25 cms ) where did that info. come from ??
The reason I ask is that I'm from Lake MacDonald Stocking Group and 1 we are finding it hard to get yellas, and secondly I am catching 10 to 11 cm Bass in the lake the problem with that is we only stocked Bass a couple of weeks ago ( therefore can't be from that stocking ) SO they must be from 13 months ago stocking which means that we have a very, very low growth rate ??
Paul

Growth rates vary between impoundments, conditions may not have been favourable for the first release etc. There could be may reasons. We'll be starting to age the bass from our Wivenhoe study around mid january, if you want i could probably age a couple of fish when we have our methods developed.

Fitzy
17-12-2008, 10:21 PM
On top of this there was a token 5000 yellowbelly released into Wivenhoe the same day.

Mary River Cod
As of last night, MRC's have been released back into the Bremer River catchment with 600 of them released at various locations.

Buddy.
Bass are terribly slow growing, worst of all the species we stock. Can take in excess of a decade to get to 50cm even in the most productive lakes, some locations much longer than that. AS someone suggested growth varies from location to location. You need to have an idea on the food web within a location to be a chance of estimating growth : location. Stocking densities also play a part; a highly stocked water way can see reduced growth rates (stunting), much like can happen with some species in the wild.

Jeremy. There's already been data collected on growth rates in Big Dubya. Data collected should be available from DPI&F.

Cheers,

Fitzy..