PDA

View Full Version : stacer boat nightmame

adoandbeck
13-12-2008, 10:33 AM
>:( >:( >:( >:( just a quick winge about stacer boats>:( >:( >:(
a mate of mine purchased a stacer boat at the start of year and has had only dramas since.
first off the live bait tank didnt work, water pickup was nowhere near in water? the berley bucket couldnt even clip in as brackets were wrong spacing. and the canopy clips were corroded and let go with the canvas padding also splitting. the gps was faulty.
the boat leaks eccesive first time out he went in bay and it leaked a bit, then second time out we went outside fishing for about 4/5 hours and it had about 100lts to 150lts of water in it
this is after a few months of buying it brand new. and my mate treats the boat like gold not at all thrashing, not at all rough weather.

so he contacted dealer and boat was taken back to them for testing.
they tested it in calm mariner area and it didnt leak than took out of bay in a bit of swell and it leaked a little.
they give it back to him and than after him hassling them they took it down to brissy/gold coast to stacer to get fixed.

when he got it back we looked at it they just welded spots here and there under the boat straight over the top of old weld so it stands out like dogs balls that its been repaired but at least welded.
the clips on canopy were totally different to the ones that are on there. petty but mind u its a new boat.

so whe were eager to take it out, we got just outside the bar and over he fell off the seat, they hadnt even screwed the seats back on...opps anyway on way home i commented on funny sound like metal rubbing on each other. this is in half a metre of swell mind u. he couldnt hear it, anyway we get back to the boat ramp and pull boat out of water and take bungs out and what do u know out pours the water again they obveously couldnt find problem and just welded here and there to look like they done something.

he rings them back and his dealer palms him off to stacer so they palm him back to dealer. anyway after a lot of hassles getting palmed off he has gone to consumer affaires which i dont blame him.
i am a pro fisher so i have a good idea on boats and i am shocked with the service this is a 6.19m boat mind u not a little tinny.
shame on u
has anyone had this trouble and what did :'( u do.

TimD
13-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Your mate would have been better off buying a 6 metre polycraft :thumbsup:

cheers tim

Alchemy
13-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Just do a search on Quintrex and Telwater on this site. Telwater are the mob that build the Stacer and Quintrex. You'll find plenty of feedback from others who have owned this brand.

dodgyone
13-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Couple of guys I knew in Darwin had nothing with theirs. One sank at the ramp on its first trip out. Turns out the kill tank wasnt pumbed correctly and filled the hull up. Realised something was wrong and turned on the bilge pump... only to find it wasnt wired up.
Both ticked the option for the 120l long range tank. Only got the 90l as the 120 apparently couldnt be fitted into the available space. When they complained they were told to go and buy a 25l plastic tank if they wanted the extra range.
Just one problem after another with both boats but mostly dealer set up related.

Shame they couldnt get it all sorted out. I fished out of the 489 Stacer and found it to be a fantastically laid out boat. I would have had them at the top of my list if it wasnt for all the dramas.

black runner
13-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Check that the lower mount bolts on the motor have been properly sealed and the cockpit drains through to the transom are intact and not leaking. The dealer should be looking after your mate on this one. The boat is still under warranty so sit down with the dealer, present a list of issues and get each problem fixed, just as you would on the first service of a new car. Keep the pressure on until it's done.

As dodgy says the quality of dealer setup can leave a lot to be desired unfortunately.

Cheers

seastorm
14-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Who is the dealer?
Fill the hull with water and then leave it on cement and then see if you can find the leak.

joe 09
14-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Who is the dealer?
Fill the hull with water and then leave it on cement and then see if you can find the leak.

i would fill the hull and park it front of the dealer's with a sign on it if the wherent prepared to fit it.

Mindi
14-12-2008, 06:25 AM
It is remarkable they are so stupid as to not fix things like this first time ...they are just trashing their name and will then whinge about people buying imported product and ask the govt for public money to stay in business. Far too many Telwater stories on here for me.....and their boats are the dearest on the market foot for foot..premium price, not premium product.

bluefin59
14-12-2008, 06:41 AM
From what i have read on this site in the last 2 years about telwater boats its certainly opened my eyes as to what quality they arent . I bought my bluefin in early 04 and have had no problems with it in over 500 hrs of mostly morton bay use . In the 4yr i have had it i have only read of 1 bluefin that had some sort of structual problem and it had an incident when crossing south passage bar and got flipped and buried the bow in a sand bar . If i was to buy a new boat stacer and quinnies would be way of the list ...matt

black runner
14-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Not that I am defending Telwater in this case, but there are 10's of thousands of their boats out there and the law of averages say there will be a proportionally higher number of problems reported.

I hope adoandbeck keep us updated and the dealer finds and fixes the leak.

Mindi
14-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Not that I am defending Telwater in this case, but there are 10's of thousands of their boats out there and the law of averages say there will be a proportionally higher number of problems reported.

I hope adoandbeck keep us updated and the dealer finds and fixes the leak.

Yes totally...the problem here is not just the faulty product its the failure to grab it and fix it quickly and with an apology to protect their brand name. Off my list too. This whole business of dealer saying "go to mfr" and mfr saying "go to dealer" is just bullshit behaviour. Maybe this is why there are more Telwater boats for sale second hand than just about any other brand, and at thousands more than they are worth IMHO

Kleyny
14-12-2008, 07:45 AM
I have a quinny tinny as do a few of my mates. Not one of the leak and not one have them have cracked. one of my crazy mates finds it funny when he runs it up sand banks and launchs of the top of the passage choppy waves.

Must be just the larger telwater hulls.

neil

ttone
14-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Gee! This is NO GOOD. Years ago, when I was in another business unrelated to this, Our motto was " The Quality of the product and the workmanship WAS *ALWAYS* remembered after the Price was forgotten. Maybe! We should now include Service, or LACK thereof as well! In the bush where we came from, businesses wouldn't last long because of the "name and shame" Grape vine soon spread around.
Hope it all works out for you Mate, remember it's the squeaky hinge that gets the most Oil!!
Cheers ttone

matmuller85
14-12-2008, 08:39 AM
How do you get on to consumer affairs. I am having lots of trouble with GS Marine in darwin. My boat is just on 12 months old now. Has been repainted 4 times 3 locally once by Gs Marine, but becuase they are in darwin damage has occured to my boat. Gs marine has reefed my gps antena that hard it has ripped the cable out of the back, but wont admit it cost me $700. The boat had been dropped some where in transit. And serverly scratched, and they told me to F**K off and leave them alone. >:( >:( >:( >:(

dodgyone
14-12-2008, 11:39 AM
How do you get on to consumer affairs. I am having lots of trouble with GS Marine in darwin. My boat is just on 12 months old now. Has been repainted 4 times 3 locally once by Gs Marine, but becuase they are in darwin damage has occured to my boat. Gs marine has reefed my gps antena that hard it has ripped the cable out of the back, but wont admit it cost me $700. The boat had been dropped some where in transit. And serverly scratched, and they told me to F**K off and leave them alone. >:( >:( >:( >:(

Seems a few guys have had problems with them too. Around 6 months ago someone torched Garys (the G in GS) new HSV in his driveway. Then a couple of weeks later his showroom burnt down. Wasnt you was it Matt?;D

Guys who had the problems with the Stacers tried everything to get them sorted. Consumer Affairs, Current Affair and even calls to Insurers like Club Marine stating that they were insuring boats that might give problems to them in an emergency.
One of the guys calculated his fuel load and consumption and ran out on the way home just short of the ramp. That was when he realised he didnt get what he was paying for.

adoandbeck
21-12-2008, 04:23 PM
the dealer has tryed putting boat on travel lift and filling up with water, didnt show leak.
they then took floor out and took boat out and could see that it was leaking water but couldnt work out where?
dealer doesnt want to know about it now cause they are just losing out.
my mate is going through the motions with consumer affairs. getting statements off people who have witnessed the water leaks and various other things wrong with boat. he has to take a form for a full refund to dealer and if they dont reply on his request from what i gather consumer affairs takes legal action for a full refund.
matmuller85 i will ask my mate numbers for u to ring consumer affairs and the steps u have to take.

pritty sad u have to go to this trouble when u get a dud boat!!! would really make u ponder the safety of the brand of boat when ya sitting 4o mile out on the shelf dont it??????? what ya reacon.

ill keep u all posted to the outcome.

Seahorse
21-12-2008, 05:15 PM
I got a stacer 489. Mine started to leak. Got back to boat ramp and about 20 litres or more water came out. Bilge pump even came on once, shit myself because i was at mud at night.
Just couldnt find problm anywhere.
Redid all bungs, went up and down hull.
I found the problem eventually.
On the transom there are 2 drain holes with 2 rubber flaps.
I just happened to move on of the eskies one day and noticed that the carpet was wet inside the boat just where the drain holes are when u hose inside.
I just taped over the bung hole to block them off. Tape is still there and not a drop of water since.
Hope this helps

Cheers
Greg

skipalong
21-12-2008, 07:31 PM
mate i would definally be pissed,

wags on the water
22-12-2008, 12:42 AM
the dealer has tryed putting boat on travel lift and filling up with water, didnt show leak.
they then took floor out and took boat out and could see that it was leaking water but couldnt work out where?
dealer doesnt want to know about it now cause they are just losing out.
my mate is going through the motions with consumer affairs. getting statements off people who have witnessed the water leaks and various other things wrong with boat. he has to take a form for a full refund to dealer and if they dont reply on his request from what i gather consumer affairs takes legal action for a full refund.
matmuller85 i will ask my mate numbers for u to ring consumer affairs and the steps u have to take.

pritty sad u have to go to this trouble when u get a dud boat!!! would really make u ponder the safety of the brand of boat when ya sitting 4o mile out on the shelf dont it??????? what ya reacon.

ill keep u all posted to the outcome.

I'm not sure he will get his money back as I didn't. I went through the same motions as your mate with no success. Telwater don't give a shit at all. Their warranty manager is also a piece of shit. My boat had paint peeling after 5 weeks and said warranty manager said it was oxidisation -> my fault. Such an ar$ehole. For such a stable boat I won't be buying or telling anyone else to buy one either.

spears
22-12-2008, 01:22 AM
Consumer affairs is now (department of fair trading).
A mate had a problem which he took it to DFT and got nothing done.
They phoned the retailer and asked him to rectify the problem.
A few weeks later my M8 contacted DFT and was told what they did and they weren’t able to take any further action.
It was now left up to him to look for legal advice.
This may vary in other states,but I got a feeling it’s across the board.

Years ago I had a contract to carry out private job and had plant hire equipment and operator.
I quoted the job at around 3 hours and explained if we go over 3 hours that an other hour would have to be added to overall costs.
At the end it went to the extra hour and the customer paid me.

A week later DFT contacted me asking me to refund the extra hour.
I explained and refused …. never heard again from them.

A leaking boat may have different results..? for safety reasons.
But then again if it sinks and needs to be towed in a question might be if you knew then why did u use it..
I hope it all works out for you the easy way..

Lovey80
22-12-2008, 02:21 AM
Another one! Bugger me how long are these guys going to stay in Business? They are still riding on the reputation they built years ago and the general public are obvioulsy oblivious that they have gone to the doghouse. Something needs to be done to alert the wider comunity.

Cheers

Chris

wags on the water
22-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Chris,

I think people are just too scared (or just couldn't be bothered) to take legal action against a very big company.
To the fisherman with the new boat, it's a lifetime investment. To the manufacturer, ...well they just don't give a shit.

In the event that I ever buy a new boat again, it definately WON'T BE A STACER!

Lesson learned - $41000 lesson.

Wags

Az
22-12-2008, 02:15 PM
sounds like there's enough people for a group action
sorry to hear about your troubles, reading what I have on here has ceratinly stopped me thinking about buying one

I was actually considering a stacer some time ago but not anymore!

dodgyone
22-12-2008, 07:45 PM
sounds like there's enough people for a group action
sorry to hear about your troubles, reading what I have on here has ceratinly stopped me thinking about buying one

I was actually considering a stacer some time ago but not anymore!

Group action are not really feasable in Australia. That was looked into by the blokes I knew that had them. Lawyer said the only way they could really tackle them was for one bloke to win his case then the others use the precident.

rosco1974
22-12-2008, 08:09 PM
hi all...there was a pro fisherman in brissy just won a case in the courts bout a faulty boat..he used it for one season then took the boat manufacture to court...he won the case court ordered the boat builder to build him a new boat and was awarded costs........poor boat builder not....stuff them all....had a few problems with my boat as well its not a stacer though...cheers rosco

Seahorse
22-12-2008, 08:54 PM
have u tried what i said?
there has been no mention. just a lot of people going off.
i would be interested to see if that is the problem.
soory to hear about the stacer problems.
i got one. bit of bubbling paint, but hey its a mass produced boat. a tinnie, what do u expect.
buy a package deal to a price.
i guess i could have went to private boat builder, paid shitloads more.
I think i remember wags problem. Water leaking through hatch?
I saw that on the half cab when i was looking.
It was very obvious then.
That why i never bought half cab.
Hey overall i have been pretty happy with mine, but will admit next time will be glass.

Rod Fishing
23-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Mate if you dont get resolution from DFT get wags and a few of the others here to email a cuurent affair and 0730 report etc. I am sure when they start getting a few emails they will look at a story. I have seen stories about when a whinging chick lost her cat.

I reckon used it as crab bait.

Good luck with it all.

Merry Christamas and a happy new year

Cheers Rod....8-)

Az
23-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Group action are not really feasable in Australia. That was looked into by the blokes I knew that had them. Lawyer said the only way they could really tackle them was for one bloke to win his case then the others use the precident.

pooling money together for legal costs and hope for a win and use that precident for future claims.. i know its a long process but that's also what these boat builders are relying on - people to just give up pursuing them.

I don't blame them though, it does take a lot of time, effort and sanity to follow it through to till the end

Mindi
23-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Why doesnt gary from Springwood give us a view on how he finds them to deal with re quality and warranty..? he has been a Telwater dealer for many years I think. I am sure he has seen many of their hulls and I am sure would tell us if any were faulty..? and if they were fixed..?

foxx510
23-12-2008, 01:41 PM
In Victoria we have VCAT for things like this, you pay $30 when you submit your claim and it is heard before a judge at a tribunal hearing. http://www.vcat.vic.gov.au/ No lawyers allowed for claims under $10k I think. Judge makes a binding decision on what is to be done. Is there a QCAT?

Mindi
23-12-2008, 01:53 PM
In Victoria we have VCAT for things like this, you pay $30 when you submit your claim and it is heard before a judge at a tribunal hearing. http://www.vcat.vic.gov.au/ No lawyers allowed for claims under $10k I think. Judge makes a binding decision on what is to be done. Is there a QCAT?

Yeah but it carries people on the brissy river

adoandbeck
26-12-2008, 01:38 PM
yer the boat is the stacer 6.19 half cabin, the hatch has got a 1/4 inch big gap in it that water pours into but that defenatly isnt where the leaking is occuring . we hit stacer up about this and they said its a disign fault and gave him a vinyl cover but with cover on you have to walk around cab to put out anchor??
like i said the dealere took boat out with floor boards out and it was leeking in under floor somewhere but they couldnt see where? it was taken back and welded along seams here and there but didnt stop probem at all.
it aint the black flaps at back as it was leaking while underway.
staitments have been gathered off me and another bloke that i think is from another stacer dealership that witnessed the amount of water that came out at boat ramp. the office of fair traiding believe they will get him a full refund? lets hope so for his sake it isnt my boat but i and i would imagine all of u would like to see him get the refund as i think this is bloody sad u have to go to this amount of hassle to rectify a stuff up from the manufacturer,
i have heard so many complaints from people who have had similar dramas from stacer,
i feel for u all, i know i wont be recomending stacer to anyone and i hope u all dont either the fishing comunity as a whole shouldnt have to put up with companies like this with the amount of money that is spent in the persuit of catching a fish.

I will keep u all posted on the outcome of this. who knows a few more of u might want to rectify the problems u are having with same company.
Thats if he gets anywhere with claim!!!!!!!!!

Mindi
27-12-2008, 02:33 PM
yer the boat is the stacer 6.19 half cabin, the hatch has got a 1/4 inch big gap in it that water pours into but that defenatly isnt where the leaking is occuring . we hit stacer up about this and they said its a disign fault and gave him a vinyl cover but with cover on you have to walk around cab to put out anchor??
like i said the dealere took boat out with floor boards out and it was leeking in under floor somewhere but they couldnt see where? it was taken back and welded along seams here and there but didnt stop probem at all.
it aint the black flaps at back as it was leaking while underway.
staitments have been gathered off me and another bloke that i think is from another stacer dealership that witnessed the amount of water that came out at boat ramp. the office of fair traiding believe they will get him a full refund? lets hope so for his sake it isnt my boat but i and i would imagine all of u would like to see him get the refund as i think this is bloody sad u have to go to this amount of hassle to rectify a stuff up from the manufacturer,
i have heard so many complaints from people who have had similar dramas from stacer,
i feel for u all, i know i wont be recomending stacer to anyone and i hope u all dont either the fishing comunity as a whole shouldnt have to put up with companies like this with the amount of money that is spent in the persuit of catching a fish.

I will keep u all posted on the outcome of this. who knows a few more of u might want to rectify the problems u are having with same company.
Thats if he gets anywhere with claim!!!!!!!!!

Are you serious..? their remedy for a 1/4" gap around the front hatch letting water in was to clip a vinyl cover over the hatch making it (1) look ridiculous and (2) be unuseable..that is the most pathetic thing I have ever heard. If that is true they are a joke.

dodgyone
27-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Sounds right. Same people that said to take a jerry can with you for extra fuel after optioning and paying for a Nomad with 120l tank and only recieving 90l.

datamile
27-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm happy with my 2004 except I think the fuel tank is just over 60 litres which is bugger all, and I generally carry an extra 40 in cans

Mindi
28-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Well as said before it would be interesting to hear a dealer's perspective on this...we all know Gary from Springwood reads the forum... how have you found Telwater's quality in recent years Gary..?

paulp
21-02-2009, 08:58 PM
I have stacer 525 cuddy cab from 2002 and love it had no problems to date

wags on the water
21-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Are you serious..? their remedy for a 1/4" gap around the front hatch letting water in was to clip a vinyl cover over the hatch making it (1) look ridiculous and (2) be unuseable..that is the most pathetic thing I have ever heard. If that is true they are a joke.

The gap problem - The warranty manager told me to weld the hatch shut. When I asked how was I to get to the anchor - he said at least I wouldn't get water in the boat.
I was a very stressed out person going through this drama. A quote frome Seahorse "i got one. bit of bubbling paint, but hey its a mass produced boat. a tinnie, what do u expect."
WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?? How about some professionalism and a decent boat for $41000.
If you have not read my origial post let me remind you_
-
DAY 1 Pick up indicator lights not working
Result - pinched wire between light assy and trailer
STILL DAY1 - drove home and two of the rubber clips had broken off the canopy.
Day3 Drove 1 km with the travel cover on - 4 rubber clips broken off.
DO you want me to go on??
What I expect is for these larger companies to start giving a shit about their products and their customers.

$41000 is a years wage so I hope you understand how frustrating this situation was. It took me a while to 'get over it'. And I still have a lot of anger toward Stacer.
For those of you that think - just get over it...Let's see you go through it.

bobby g
22-02-2009, 03:01 PM
I've had my stacer 395 for a year now, from new, it to leaked took me a while to find. Water was coming in between the drain plug housing and the alluminuim, it hadn't been sealed properly, repaired it myself no problem since

Bobby g

tin can marlin
22-02-2009, 03:26 PM
I think the most disapointing thing about telewater is that they never come onto ausfish and defened themselves to me that makes them look guilty of knowing there boats are not up to scratch. Also i know that approx six months ago it was in the paper that they had to pay a 1 million dollar fine for price fixing. I think that also tells you how they operate there boat company. How much respect would they get if they come on ausfish and said hey we got it wrong and we are going to sort out this boat for good and we will keep everyone informed on how it is all going. I will give telewater on e break and that is there is always two sides to a story well lets hear it and maybe you can gain some support and keep your brands alive.

BILLY THE KID
22-02-2009, 04:02 PM
big sell out of all stacer stock at capalaba dealer at the moment ???

looks like they maybe swapping from stacer to another brand

wags on the water
22-02-2009, 04:11 PM
big sell out of all stacer stock at capalaba dealer at the moment ???

looks like they maybe swapping from stacer to another brand

We've been through all this sh!t before Billy. Before you go spreading rumours, go and talk to them and get the facts.

I have, and I know the story, as one of the salesmen is a mate. And no I'm not going to tell you. Go and ask for yourself.

stevej
22-02-2009, 05:42 PM
I think the most disapointing thing about telewater is that they never come onto ausfish and defened themselves to me that makes them look guilty of knowing there boats are not up to scratch. Also i know that approx six months ago it was in the paper that they had to pay a 1 million dollar fine for price fixing. I think that also tells you how they operate there boat company. How much respect would they get if they come on ausfish and said hey we got it wrong and we are going to sort out this boat for good and we will keep everyone informed on how it is all going. I will give telewater on e break and that is there is always two sides to a story well lets hear it and maybe you can gain some support and keep your brands alive.

which they wont as if you say sorry to someone, everyone else with similar claims will sue their asses off if they dont fix theirs

bit of bad publicity versus mass payouts on warranty claims.

where sthe public apology fo price fixing? were just a statistic to them is all

PinHead
22-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Telwater has not been fined..listed for hearing on 9th March, 2009

BILLY THE KID
22-02-2009, 06:34 PM
We've been through all this sh!t before Billy. Before you go spreading rumours, go and talk to them and get the facts.

I have, and I know the story, as one of the salesmen is a mate. And no I'm not going to tell you. Go and ask for yourself.

i personally dont give a shit what they sell and if they are swapping to another manufactuer , i drive past every day and see the signs about there big stock clearence , i never said they were swapping said it looks like it , and i have been down there many a time talking to the sales guys and they all seem cool

gees some people need to chill out and not jump down everyones throat

tin can marlin
22-02-2009, 08:49 PM
I think you will find that they did as a company and the hearing on the 9th of march is against one of the owners only not the company.

Grunter71
22-02-2009, 09:02 PM

Hey, that's my birthday. Just a bit of trivia.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/Grunter71/Thread_hijack_live.jpg

PinHead
22-02-2009, 09:10 PM
oops..5th March

AUSTRALIAN COMPETITION & CONSUMER COMMISSION

Applicant

TELWATER PTY LTD ACN 010 795 507

First Respondent

PAUL MATTHEW PHELAN

Second Respondent

ORDER

JUDGE:

Justice Spender
DATE OF ORDER:

6 February 2009
WHERE MADE:

Brisbane

THE COURT ORDERS BY CONSENT THAT:

1. The application be listed for hearing the question of penalty on 5 March 2009 at 10.15 am.
2. At least three days prior to the hearing, the applicant and respondents file joint submissions.
3. Costs be reserved.

Mindi
23-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Well thats definitely against the company, and then secondarily against the individual. Tempting to say lots of silly things but better not to eh..? Unfortunately the action by ACCC has nothing to do with claims of crap product and support, but to do with price fixing. See extract from ACCC below.

ACCC Institutes Proceedings Against Telwater Pty Ltd

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has instituted legal proceedings in the Federal Court in Brisbane against Telwater Pty Ltd, and one of its directors, Mr Paul Phelan, for allegedly engaging in resale price maintenance.
Telwater is the largest manufacturer of aluminium boats in Australia, and distributes its Quintrex and Stacer brands, and related boating equipment, through independent dealerships across Australia.
The ACCC alleges that Telwater engaged in resale price maintenance by making it known to dealers they could not advertise Quintrex or Stacer products below a specified price, referred to as the 'brochure price'. It is alleged that Mr Phelan was knowingly concerned in the conduct.
The ACCC is seeking declarations, injunctions and penalties with respect to the alleged contraventions of section 48 of the Trade Practices Act 1974 which prohibits resale price maintenance.
This matter has been listed for a directions hearing in the Federal Court, Brisbane at 9.30 a.m. on Friday, 6 February 2009 before Justice Spender.

BOMBIE
24-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Here we go AGAIN and people still dont get it WE dont have any rights poor old whinging me has been fighting this B---sh-- for 3+ years and still NO-ONE will take ownership of this lack of quality/safety/liability in this million dollar industry consumer affairs -fair trading -small claims tried them all .Its about time a government had some B--ls and make the small boat industry answer to ALL of our problems PS for those who dont know not stacer,quinny,bluefin ,but 5.3 STESSCO

tin can marlin
25-02-2009, 08:05 PM
The ACCC will do nothing same as fuel prices never found anything to do will price fixing what a load of horse s*#t. Telewater still have not come on and defended themselves they don't think that members of this forum hold any power. Well John Howard didn't think the little old worker like you and did either and look what people power with the help of the union movement did to him. Never forget about the battler after all we buy boats.

hooknose
26-02-2009, 07:37 PM
My Stacer is a 1985 model 4.1 Seahawk , tough as nails and still going strong, no leaks etc, sorry to hear they have dropped the ball where quality is concerned, I have never had a problem with mine.

tin can marlin
27-02-2009, 08:35 PM
My Stacer is a 1985 model 4.1 Seahawk , tough as nails and still going strong, no leaks etc, sorry to hear they have dropped the ball where quality is concerned, I have never had a problem with mine.
That would be the case as they were a family run company back then not a corprate joint. They were taken over by telewater appox 6-7 years ago and then they did all the fancey marketing and forgot about the boat and how to build them the same way they had been for years. To busy around board rooms were as the good boat builders are out on the water testing there gear and talking to owners at boat ramps etc. It is a shame that things are going this way with such a famous brand as stacer.

BOMBIE
27-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Re: getting hard now
Fellas ,how could this happen:o when The National Marine Safety Committee states that to Implement an Aust Builders Plate you must be one of three things(quote) 1 the builder ,2 the importer ,3 A Competent Person ??" A compentent is one who is defined as being a person who has acquired through training,qualification,EXPERIENCE,OR a combination of these ,the knowledge and skills enabling THAT person to competently determine and approve the information on that plate ">:( (unquote) RE ::MAKE YOUR BOAT !!!!!!still doesnt mean that you back up /stand by the workmanship of these THINGS once the puttogeathers have our hard earned $$$$:'(.. can some find us A member of any sort of government to have the balls to face these "manufactors"

BOMBIE
27-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Thats fine but so is/was most of the of " boats" back then .I would bet that a 70's & 80'S boats are still going in 2020 but I Will put a bigger bet that late 1990''s til 2008's are well and truely bloody gone due to " /hit this/ not made for that /not our fault/ your fault /slamming in heavy seas "etc etc by then !!!!! and i dont except a reply by most "" modern "" manufactors RE the "MULU SARA" a vessel built by a :shoddy manufactor where 5 people lost there lives on a shoddy built & a newly Commissioned boat :BUILT FOR OUR Immigration dept in 2005 & still seeking justice . courier mail 14/02/09 W H A T CHANCE DO WE HAVE:( :'( A B S O LU T E LY NO T H I N G >:(

Krashtackle
28-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Geez guys, you've scared the crap out of me and hubby. Just prior to joining ausfish we ordered a Stacer 519 Searunner Half cab. We are about 2 weeks away from writing the big cheque and then we read all this!! :o

I contacted my dealer, who I must say is from Capalaba and is an awesome guy. I told him all the problems I have read about the Stacer and he understands my concerns. He said he will personally spend as long as it takes with my hubby to go over the boat before we write the cheque and drive away and make sure everything is spot on.

Let's hope it all goes well, ours is the new model and being built with our extra's etc. at Stacer. I will keep you posted. Maybe I am being naive, but I really think my dealer is a nice guy and I think he will look after us :)

But I must thankyou for writing this thread, as it does open the eyes of the consumer against a well known brand and expectations are high. We are so excited about the new boat, I think we would have wrote the cheque, hitched her up and never thought twice about checking anything!! That has all changed now and we wil be looking hard and asking lots of questions!! Lets hope I can report back with a thumbs up...for our sake. :-[

It is a lot of money for average Joe's like us and I feel for anyone who has had drama's with any boat from brand new...I can sypathise and it would frustrate the hell out of me, if I was getting fobbed off by my dealer or Stacer.

BOMBIE
28-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Sorry to be wet blanket ,but a mate sold me our STESSCO and no longer deals with them (thank christ) but all it took was 7 hours ,, cracks ,dents,paint etc to tell me we where in trouble .not the builders fault ??? & NO legisation protection etc,etc now 3+ yrs and still very little reconpence ..just please BEWARE

FNQCairns
28-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Companys that do this sort of thing astound me! It's not as if they are the last one standing, management that says more about personal quality than the product every time.

Every 3rd trip I make in my boat someone ask's what it is (took the stickers off), 4/5 times just say sorry I cannot tell you. The builder was shown to me to be a cretin or in person something just a little more colourful.

Through avoided sales outside of the above senario, I have cost him profits 5x more than any quote to fix my boat to the standard it should have left his company's shed door. that number will only grow.

cheers fnq

black runner
28-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi Krashtackle, don't panic, you need to balance what you read/hear against the 1000's of boats built each year by Telwater with as many happy customers. I have a 2005 model Stacer and have had no trouble with the hull, paint or fittings. I did have a leaking lower engine mount bolt hole but that was no fault of the boat build and was easily rectified.

It has handled rough water relative to the size of the boat and has suffered no ill effects nor can I see how it will if it isn't abused. When I was looking around at used 15 foot runabouts I found the build quality and engineering of the Stacer as good as, or better than most of the competition in the same class. Plate boats of course are a different kettle of fish altogether.

I am not saying that there haven't been problem boats or design flaws (read previous walk through hatch) out of Telwater, just make sure you do a pre-delivery check and test run including making sure all skin fittings/penetrations don't leak. Let it sit in the water for a while before getting underway and check the bilge for water. Check again when its on the trailer and undo the bungs. I would do this with any boat purchase.

If you are using a well regarded dealership and do a thorough pre delivery/acceptance, I am sure you will be happy with your new baby. Make sure you address any issues as they arise and have them fixed within the warranty periods.

Cheers

tin can marlin
01-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Geez guys, you've scared the crap out of me and hubby. Just prior to joining ausfish we ordered a Stacer 519 Searunner Half cab. We are about 2 weeks away from writing the big cheque and then we read all this!! :o

I contacted my dealer, who I must say is from Capalaba and is an awesome guy. I told him all the problems I have read about the Stacer and he understands my concerns. He said he will personally spend as long as it takes with my hubby to go over the boat before we write the cheque and drive away and make sure everything is spot on.

Let's hope it all goes well, ours is the new model and being built with our extra's etc. at Stacer. I will keep you posted. Maybe I am being naive, but I really think my dealer is a nice guy and I think he will look after us :)

But I must thankyou for writing this thread, as it does open the eyes of the consumer against a well known brand and expectations are high. We are so excited about the new boat, I think we would have wrote the cheque, hitched her up and never thought twice about checking anything!! That has all changed now and we wil be looking hard and asking lots of questions!! Lets hope I can report back with a thumbs up...for our sake. :-[

It is a lot of money for average Joe's like us and I feel for anyone who has had drama's with any boat from brand new...I can sypathise and it would frustrate the hell out of me, if I was getting fobbed off by my dealer or Stacer.
Hi Krastacle i would be getting your depoist back as they are not the boat they say they are it is a marketing compant go and see waybe and the boys at stones they will put you into a sea Jay real good blokes.

PinHead
01-03-2009, 08:07 AM

Obviously you are very excited about the new boat purchase..as we all are when buying one. It appears to be the boat you want, then buy it.
I am not defending telwater but every manufacturer has a percentage that they will accept as warranties..some manufacturers of equipment that I know of are very happy if warranty claims are 3% or less. As telwater is the biggest manufacturer of tinnies in the country then obviously their return rates numerically will be higher than others. it also means they have a lot more satisfied customers numerically than others.
Every manufacturer has returns..any that say they don't is blatantly lying.
The big item is how those manufacturers and their dealers deal with the returns and the purchaser involved.

kingtin
01-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Krashtackle

I'm on my 3rd rig (Stacer Nomad 519) out of the Telwater stable and I've never had a problem with any of them. Stay cool.

kev

Jeremy
01-03-2009, 10:56 AM

Will this be your first boat? Will you be able to tell sh!t from clay? Be aware, the dealer is first and foremost a salesman. I would insist on a water test before you pay up. I am sure he is the nicest guy you could possibly meet now, but just wait until he has got your money and it will be a different story. Might be worthwhile taking someone with you who can do a thorough inspection of the boat before you pay.

Hope it turns out well for you.

Jeremy

BOMBIE
01-03-2009, 10:32 PM
People ,pre tests , biggest manufactor ,had so many ,inspections done before ,,etc etc means SFA (very little ) once you have done all that & in a matter of minutes AND then they have your money and you are on your way an on your own .if/when your troubles start THEN you will know how badly this industry doesnt care and IS very good at protecting its self( no one to pull them on OR to protect us ) .. big or small shouldnt SOMEONE be getting right by now. why is it that when someone puts a negitive blog on here then someone stands up for the builder/dealer? wouldnt it be better if we ALL asked why this is happens at all ?as most of us know its a hell of a long way to swim if/when you have trouble . if this was the motor vehicle industry how many would have been investigated by tv stations or there own watchdog bodies .mtaq, racv, racq etc !!!!! I would bet if ONE car maker made one $50.k mistake it would be fixed/replaced ASAP , no whys or wherefors let alone 3% etc of any brand .it seems the more I investigate this million $$ industry the less is getting done ??!!

Steeler
01-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi Krashtackle

Ultimately any issues you have with the boat that need fixing ( IF ANY ) will have to be authorised by the manufacturer so without trying to scare you if this manufacturer has a bit of a history of abandoning people with workmanship and quality control issues then it really does not matter how nice a dealer you are purchasing from.Have not met a dealer yet marine,automotive or otherwise who will rectify isues on items that have manufacturers warranty on it out of his own pocket as dealers seek approval to commence any warranty issues from the manufacturer to ensure reinbursement of labour and parts used.The warranty is only as good as the manufacturer is prepared to back it.

I'm sure your dealer means well and the person you are dealing with comes across as genuine as NOT ALL salespeople are sharks.

Best of luck

Cheers

Steve

Mindi
02-03-2009, 07:06 AM
Hi Krashtackle

Ultimately any issues you have with the boat that need fixing ( IF ANY ) will have to be authorised by the manufacturer so without trying to scare you if this manufacturer has a bit of a history of abandoning people with workmanship and quality control issues then it really does not matter how nice a dealer you are purchasing from.Have not met a dealer yet marine,automotive or otherwise who will rectify isues on items that have manufacturers warranty on it out of his own pocket as dealers seek approval to commence any warranty issues from the manufacturer to ensure reinbursement of labour and parts used.The warranty is only as good as the manufacturer is prepared to back it.

I'm sure your dealer means well and the person you are dealing with comes across as genuine as NOT ALL salespeople are sharks.

Best of luck

Cheers

Steve

Krash.... some sensible comment here IMHO pointing out that the bad Telwater hulls are numerically small in the total output. You would be unlucky to get a bad one and it is not that likely. I would really try and do an on water handover....this also enables you to see the max revs reached at WOT for the supplied prop...no other way to see and no ther way to establish prop correct for rig. Just check the motor specs for what revs should be achieved...this is very important. Then check carefully that no leaks and nothing drains out of the bungs after the test/handover (drain them before you go out so there is no doubt about the water being "old rainwater".....then pay and drive away with a hull that has no obvious leaks and a correctly propped outfit. Any good dealer will do this.

There is a lot of naive talk about dealers being "buddies"....crap..they are not your buddy they are your supplier and establishing a friendly relationship with you is basic selling tactic.This does not make them bad or dishonest people... it just makes them suppliers and not "buddies"...

Another thing you could do if you were really concerned would be to hire the boat inspection guy from this forum to do the on water acceptance with you...he might do it for $100 and look at all the right things..? cheap enough expertise.

Good luck, my brother had a smaller Stacer for many years and it was a great boat.

Krashtackle
02-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Will this be your first boat? Will you be able to tell sh!t from clay? Be aware, the dealer is first and foremost a salesman. I would insist on a water test before you pay up. I am sure he is the nicest guy you could possibly meet now, but just wait until he has got your money and it will be a different story. Might be worthwhile taking someone with you who can do a thorough inspection of the boat before you pay.

Hope it turns out well for you.

Jeremy

This will be our second boat. We know nothing about the motors but we do know enough to tell if it is a dud. Our salesman is of course a salesman, but he doesn't speak like a know it all and he never tried to talk us into any particular boat. We actually walked away and went home to think about it the first time and he never tried to spin us back or anything..have to have some hope in common decency and/or humanity ;D

dodgyone
02-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi Krashtackle

Best of luck

Cheers

Steve

And a good dealer will put your side across in a way that helps the customer get what they have paid for. I know of several people that have bought rigs slightly diffeent from what they initially wanted for that exact reason. They chose the dealer that was going to do the right thing by them.

hooknose
02-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Was telling a mate up north about this thread and he informs me that he knows of 3 seperate Stacers in Rockhampton over 5 metres that have had similar problems, all have been treated like sh%t by the dealer and manufacturer !!!

stevej
02-03-2009, 08:45 PM
they get paid by selling boats

not paid to stand there and answer questions and make the company uniform look pretty

even the dealer i like is no saint selling something on me that i had left a deposit on 2 days prior while waiting for me to get abank cheque on monday

but in sdney its shit shit and the rest are awefull

after 7 boats though i place no value on any dealers yard and screw them all for best value

have even been know to buy yard 1 trailer yard 2 engine yard 3 hull and taken to yard 4 for the fit up cause i didnt trust the merc dealer to fill it with petrol properly

the boating industry just preys on the naive and complains the educated force them to discount

BOMBIE
02-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Dealers are and will be dealers BUT, manufactors are "well " Manufactors. I too did all the pre delivery checks, leaks,speed & handling etc etc but , my dealer /mate at least dropped his 'put togeather' builder after months of numerous calls and even legal action threats to them fell on VERY deaf & ignorant, arrogant ears & (still) WE have no legistative PROTECTION but at least he doesnt sell those heaps of crap STESSCO any more which IMHO counts for something .And nobody will know what they have got until if/when there is a problem ,IT IS only then you know good our system is not !!

Mindi
03-03-2009, 07:12 AM
they get paid by selling boats

not paid to stand there and answer questions and make the company uniform look pretty

even the dealer i like is no saint selling something on me that i had left a deposit on 2 days prior while waiting for me to get abank cheque on monday

but in sdney its shit shit and the rest are awefull

after 7 boats though i place no value on any dealers yard and screw them all for best value

have even been know to buy yard 1 trailer yard 2 engine yard 3 hull and taken to yard 4 for the fit up cause i didnt trust the merc dealer to fill it with petrol properly

the boating industry just preys on the naive and complains the educated force them to discount

Bloody hell Steve I was feeling lonely there...I thought I was the only one as cynical as me....maybe we both have a problem. ..? LOL...(but maybe Bombie is worse..?) of course you are right, the industry has some really bad dealers and I guess some good ones. The problem is that customers are naive and want to be liked so they fall for the "buddy" bullshit hook line and sinker. Dealers are suppliers...just like electricity, groceries and meat. THe industry is structured in such a way that there is almost no competition between dealers but rather between key brands....ie..if I want a Formosa I can only get it from 2 dealers...if I want one with an Opti...I can only get it from one. It's the whole dealer/brand nexus that needs to be broken to see more competition on a dealer performance basis.
I am not saying all dealers are bad, of course not...just that many exploit the naivety of customers. The end customer cant directly fix the mfring problems at Albo and Telwater...the dealers have to do that by sending boats back or not accepting them....but they will only do that if forced by the customers. Bombie you cant legislate quality....only safety because it can be defined, and because the govt has a mandate to oversee that as part of the "social contract" that gives them their role. Quality has to be sorted by the market, and you are working on that by telling everyone how much you liked your Stessco.

BOMBIE
03-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Mindi I totally agree & disagree with you. in this industry wouldnt it mean that quality is safety eg; welds & contruction standards etc when I contacted (the govt ) Dept of Maritime SAFETY in Qld and asked there manager who deems a vessel safe ? such as seaworthiness /checks etc he told me that as long as I (me) as skipper had a current boat licence (for) 20 years or 1 week , I.....??? deemed THAT vessel safe .so I could take my family out my 3+ y/old STESSCO with cracks and faults and long as I have correct safety gear for the amount of people etc for wherever I wanted to go NO ONE can stop me .please tell me that does not need THE manufactors to be legisated .way to much onus put on consumer and WAY to littte on the money takers/ manufactors !!

Mindi
03-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Mindi I totally agree & disagree with you. in this industry wouldnt it mean that quality is safety eg; welds & contruction standards etc when I contacted (the govt ) Dept of Maritime SAFETY in Qld and asked there manager who deems a vessel safe ? such as seaworthiness /checks etc he told me that as long as I (me) as skipper had a current boat licence (for) 20 years or 1 week , I.....??? deemed THAT vessel safe .so I could take my family out my 3+ y/old STESSCO with cracks and faults and long as I have correct safety gear for the amount of people etc for wherever I wanted to go NO ONE can stop me .please tell me that does not need THE manufactors to be legisated .way to much onus put on consumer and WAY to littte on the money takers/ manufactors !!

Well yes of course you are right..there is an overlap between safety and quality...also in cars and planes I guess. Good point.

BOMBIE
04-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Mindi thanks ,but maybe poor old trailcraft may have paid the price with there quality ,and maybe have honoured there warranities and paid for trademan to build there boatS .buT if this was cars or plane industry i will bEt big time that more noiSeS would be made about why there mainly reuptable COmpanies are falling over .in this industry is seems to be in there thinking that if you are cheap and sell crap,dont honour or fix anything or hide behind multipul names, looks like it is how you will survive ps I just like to keep this blog out there to hilite bad puttogeathers like you know who ?? BOMBIE ,like the criptic BIG cule

TimiBoy
05-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Boat manufacturers are one of the biggest victims of the boom. They have had such intense demand for such a long time, that they have invested in capacity that they suddenly couldn't use and couldn't fund. The downturn has been very sudden, and very selective. They have been at the pointy end.

People still have money. They are still (mostly) employed, but are no longer spending their money on discretionary items such as boats, plasmas and cars. Thankfully they are spending it on things that make them money, like renovations!

In saying this, I am not being insensitive to those who HAVE lost their jobs. I know some industries are finding it hard, and that makes getting a job hard. I feel your pain.

Cheers,

Tim

Mindi
05-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Was telling a mate up north about this thread and he informs me that he knows of 3 seperate Stacers in Rockhampton over 5 metres that have had similar problems, all have been treated like sh%t by the dealer and manufacturer !!!

Interesting...I have not gone back and checked all the history here but I think that all the Telwater horror stories are on bigger hulls...here 5.0M plus, and a 5.9 and 6.1 I can recall..? is it possible that their small hulls are OK...and that they have (complete speculation here) just scaled up to bigger size rather than re-engineered their bigger ones..? or maybe thats crap because the problems are crook welding rather than design...but then again maybe crook design could allow flexing and stressing the welds..?
In any case I dont recall any Telwater stories about small hulls..?

wags on the water
05-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Interesting...I have not gone back and checked all the history here but I think that all the Telwater horror stories are on bigger hulls...here 5.0M plus, and a 5.9 and 6.1 I can recall..? is it possible that their small hulls are OK...and that they have (complete speculation here) just scaled up to bigger size rather than re-engineered their bigger ones..? or maybe thats crap because the problems are crook welding rather than design...but then again maybe crook design could allow flexing and stressing the welds..?
In any case I dont recall any Telwater stories about small hulls..?

I do remember seeing a 3.0m? tender (brand new) in a yard some time ago, and it was clearly obvious there were no QC checks done on this product. Weld spatter everywhere, some places even the aluminium wire (from the mig gun) protruding from some welds up to an inch. Absolute disgrace.

stevej
05-03-2009, 05:19 PM
my 385 explorer was like that
dags of wire everywhere s
platter all over the place
screws in glove box etc with no duralac, white fluff round stainless before it even left the yard

and the boat wasnt square was crazy trying tomeasure things up to install a rear deck

Krashtackle
05-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Guess we will know tomorrow when we do our hand over. Doing a water test with the dealer and he was happy to oblige...

Fingers crossed, all goes well, we can get back to being excited..all I have felt recently is dread for what could be if something is wrong with it :(

Thanks for all your imput though, positive and neg have been duly noted and taken on board :)

wags on the water
06-03-2009, 04:08 AM
For all the bad things mentioned Trace, I will say the 519 I had was the most stable of boat I ever been in (as far as 'tinnies' go). And the fuel economy (with a 100hp 4 str) 2nd to none.
Good luck with yours.

Cheers,
Wags

Mindi
06-03-2009, 05:12 AM
hope it is spot on for you..will be a good one for sure.

Krashtackle
06-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Well its all done :)

Water test went well. Did about an hour out there and not a drop in the hull.
Everything worked well except the CD player which was a dodgy connection and fixed the second we got back to the yard.

All good for now. Lets hope it stays that way! We are excited now with our new baby all tucked up in the backyard ::)

First trip out is Sunday with the kids in tow...lets hope its a nice day on the bay and everything works as it should.

Wags is right, there is great stability there and a very smooth ride. Besides that...she is very pretty...LMAO!!;D

Mindi
07-03-2009, 07:12 AM
great news...well done.

BOMBER
07-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Hi All,

I purchased a Stacer Barra Pro 459 from Northside marine ordered in July 08 picked up first week of September08, could not be happier with this boat have had it out in Hervey Bay in fairly rough water pounded out to the fishing local and home again.

No water in the hull at all, had a lot of custom work done it by Telwater rod lockers , minn kota mounting plates extra rod holders windscreens, plumbed live well, could not be happier with the finish and performance of the boat.

The Bomber

hooknose
07-03-2009, 06:25 PM
my 385 explorer was like that
dags of wire everywhere s
platter all over the place
screws in glove box etc with no duralac, white fluff round stainless before it even left the yard

and the boat wasnt square was crazy trying tomeasure things up to install a rear deck

Sad to hear mate, there is no excuse for that kind of crap on a new boat buy, definately B grade !!!

sid_fishes
07-03-2009, 07:04 PM
hooknose, is that the capt goodvibes i see as you avatar

BOMBIE
07-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Well its all done :)

Water test went well. Did about an hour out there and not a drop in the hull.
Everything worked well except the CD player which was a dodgy connection and fixed the second we got back to the yard.

All good for now. Lets hope it stays that way! We are excited now with our new baby all tucked up in the backyard ::)

First trip out is Sunday with the kids in tow...lets hope its a nice day on the bay and everything works as it should.

Wags is right, there is great stability there and a very smooth ride. Besides that...she is very pretty...LMAO!!;D
krashtackle, very nice to here please keep an eye on it .,sorry to be so negitive ,but when you've been hurt >:( .I really do hope it stays that way 8-) BOLA BOMBIE

hooknose
07-03-2009, 08:52 PM
hooknose, is that the capt goodvibes i see as you avatar

Yeh Sid it is the "pig of steel"( role model from the early days)

Krashtackle Good to see it went well mate, they sure are a good looking boat, enjoy !!!8-)

gawby
07-03-2009, 10:46 PM
I had a 525 stacer and couldn't fault it.
Went out in all kind of seas and handled it well
I had no problems with cracks or leaks or poor workmanship.
Graeme

levinge
07-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Boat manufacturers are one of the biggest victims of the boom. They have had such intense demand for such a long time, that they have invested in capacity that they suddenly couldn't use and couldn't fund. The downturn has been very sudden, and very selective. They have been at the pointy end.

People still have money. They are still (mostly) employed, but are no longer spending their money on discretionary items such as boats, plasmas and cars. Thankfully they are spending it on things that make them money, like renovations!

In saying this, I am not being insensitive to those who HAVE lost their jobs. I know some industries are finding it hard, and that makes getting a job hard. I feel your pain.

Cheers,

Tim

Your right in a way there Tim, people just aren't buying the overpriced boats anymore, they seem to be doing the research and looking for best bang for the buck. The big guys have been brought to their knees and a few of them seem to be unwilling to change with the times.

Boats will continue to sell and people will buy new, they will just be doing their sums and not being blinded by the advertising. I guess Forums like Ausfish will aid in the research and point buyers in the right directions.

No matter what model or make a person buys, I just hope they get value for their money and enjoy every day on the water, with whoever they choose to take fishing. Because at the end of the day, we all enjoy what we do, where we go and who we take along for the journey - TIGHT LINES EVERYONE!!

stevej
08-03-2009, 08:50 AM
so back to the good old days of boating 4.5m boats with 50-60s which were affordable and cheap to run.

Seahorse
08-03-2009, 07:53 PM
I got 475 stacer baymaster sports.
i got few corrossion spots, not real bad, but hey its a mass produced tinney.
i bought it new in aug 2006, and motor has done 170 hrs.
iam happy so far. finish of boat was superior to allycraft, quinney,steccso and the likes.
i wash it after each trip, chamios it and put under cover.
someone told me that if u put it in a lock up garage then u should cover the boat because of the heat in the sheds and the condination.

PinHead
08-03-2009, 08:12 PM
I got 475 stacer baymaster sports.
i got few corrossion spots, not real bad, but hey its a mass produced tinney.
i bought it new in aug 2006, and motor has done 170 hrs.
iam happy so far. finish of boat was superior to allycraft, quinney,steccso and the likes.
i wash it after each trip, chamios it and put under cover.
someone told me that if u put it in a lock up garage then u should cover the boat because of the heat in the sheds and the condination.

I assume you mean condensation...if so, covering the boat without letting it breath will lead to more condensation problems. The water will condense on the underside of the cover then when heavy enough will fall back into the boat..like a lil rain in there..and it will continue to do that if not allowed to breath. Similar to the old method of covering concrete with plastic to get it to cure.

Steeler
08-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Hi All

I think it is important to remember that across all industries and product groups you will have manufacturers who come under one of two categories,they are either innovators or imitators.Innovators should and are entitled to ask for a premium for there product to ensure future research & development to bring the consumer an even better product than the previous.

Buying an imitated product from a " me too" will always be a compromise,not all expensive boats are overpriced, just a price tag that reflects the amount of effort to make a product to the highest possible standard.

There will always be three categories of product quality and they are GOOD,BETTER and BEST and any person silly enough to think they can buy BEST for the price of GOOD is kidding themselves amongst other things!!!!!!!!!!!!.

The big boys are generally regarded as the big boys because for the very reason that more often than not they manufacture the " BEST ".

Cheers

Steve

Krashtackle
09-03-2009, 02:59 PM
We have had it out for 6 hours all up now and we still check the bungs everytime we come in...LOL..call me paranoid :)

She is a beauty ;) Wags is right good fuel economy, steering is stiff but thats better than a bad over steer like our last boat. They forgot to put my GPS manual in the package...bit annoying but thats Ok, they can post it out to us. Our dealer has the cheque and has still happily answered a few annoying little questions we have bugged him with after the sale and still says call if you need anything, and he doesn't even work there anymore :) It was his last day when we picked up the boat.

Anyway, our eyes will stay firmly open and lets hope the new range of stacers bring on a lot better feedback than in the past. Will post a pic once I get them off my camera....

Shame all this rain is coming :( guess the boat will stay out back for the next week or so!!

Mindi
09-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Thats great news, hope you keep enjoying it. Checking the bungs and leaks is what you want to do anyway after each outing...no leaks is the way to go..! Who was the dealer who seems to have done the right thing by you..?

BOMBIE
09-03-2009, 11:04 PM
checking bungs ,leaks etc I did that EVERY 2nd trip/ 1 month, after 1st "fixup" re: stessco ,doesnt prove anything & big boys ,BEST ;ditto ; re trailcraft did the right thing but what????????????

Steeler
09-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Re : the quote made about big boys of the industry needing to change there ways.You can't change your ways and go to market cheaper without compromising the quality of the product you manufacture.

Manufacturing to a price point will always result in a compromise in quality.

Big boys ( or leading manufacturers ) will manufacture a product and then price it accordingly resulting in a superior product.

Cheers

Steve

Krashtackle
10-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Here's our Baby :)

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/CatchUp/Renoboat030.jpg

Steeler
10-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi Krash

Don't ya just gotta LOVE your wise,intelligent,thoughtful,educated and superior decision making skills in choosing what to power it with.No bias whatsoever.

Looks a real treat and hope you have many a great time in her.

Cheers

Steve

Krashtackle
10-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Gotcha Steve...Only a Mariner will do ;)
Purrs like a kitten too...LOL

datamile
10-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Should have a nice white engine ;)

Steeler
10-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Should have a nice white engine ;)
Hi datamile.

No such thing as a nice white one:):D;)

You do realise with our recent posts and ribbing we are gunna really start something here.

OMC vs Merc
Ford vs Hoden
Braz$lân vs Natural ( LOL ):D;)

Cheers

Steve

Seahorse
10-03-2009, 08:34 PM
looks a treat.
enjoy it
i love my stacer

cheers
greg

Krashtackle
10-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Ok I'm a Holden girl through and through...so what Outboard am I supposed to prefer?? Guess it has to be a mariner now Steve...LOL :)