PDA

View Full Version : VHF Radios

Gordie
12-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Gday fella's, can I throw a few questions at you please.

The cook is hoping to buy me a hand held VHF radio for Xmas and I am wondering if it is of any use. I only fish the dams, Somerset and Monduran.

Some spots the mobile has no service and she is concerned that I may get up a dry gully.

The people from Whitworth say that the coast guard monitor the coastal tribes but if we on the dams breakdown is anybody listening.

Looking at a 3 watt, rechargeable, hand held, no idea of the range once hills are around.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards Gordon

finga
12-12-2008, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't be relying on the coastal stations for help but you might get someone on the trucking or caravaners channel if you had a UHF handheld.
Don't know really. Just guessing a bit.

darylive
12-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Gordo,

Money well spent, quite a few of us use them on the dams. Channel 21. No organisation monitors them but other do use them. They are particularly good line of sight. Get one for Mum and you can tell her when to put the kettle on. Buy the best one you can afford. I have a GME electrophone and am very happy with it.

The sooner it catches on the better.

finga
13-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Gordo,

Money well spent, quite a few of us use them on the dams. Channel 21. No organisation monitors them but other do use them. They are particularly good line of sight. Get one for Mum and you can tell her when to put the kettle on. Buy the best one you can afford. I have a GME electrophone and am very happy with it.

The sooner it catches on the better.
Well that's good news then isn't it. And your definitely right about "the sooner it catches on the better".

Better still to be able to tell mum to put the kettle on or to bring the trailer down :)

Gordie
13-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks fellas, I will make further inquires as I have heard the coastal rescue groups are going VHF rather than UHF so they have a clearer network.

I will call them direct, plus a few other contacts. I'll be back !

Gordon

Gordie
13-12-2008, 10:59 AM
I have spoken to the Coast Guard and they advise VHF to everyone who calls in like me.

Apparently the prices are coming down. They can be purchased now with a GPS built in.

Boat manufacturers are supplying boats with VHF installed.

As Darryl said the sooner it catches on the better.

Regards Gordon

stevej
22-12-2008, 09:06 AM
you need a licence to run a vhf in nsw dont know about qld

i dont undertsand why the freshwater brigade done run even 27megs, the boats are big enough consoles etc

i guess its the comps and people acusing each other of cheating by talking to competitors during comps

or event organisers not wanting to accept responsibility by not informing people if saya storm is comming through or something

Jeremy
22-12-2008, 10:39 AM
1. how many other boaties on the dams have VHF radios, let alone turn them on?
2. VHF is line of sight. Even less chance of being able to pick up a coastal station - Coast Guard or VMR - from 50 km away up in the hills. Somerset has hills on all sides and you have buckleys of reaching any of the coast stations with any reliability. Dunno about Monduran.
3. Yes, MROVCP or MROCP required to operate VHF radio in Qld.
4. I would suggest better investment would be to make sure you are 100% confident in your outboard or electric so you don't have to worry about breaking down. If all else fails, carry oars.
Jeremy

QF3 MROCP
22-12-2008, 10:50 AM
you need a licence to run a vhf in nsw dont know about qld

i dont undertsand why the freshwater brigade done run even 27megs, the boats are big enough consoles etc

i guess its the comps and people acusing each other of cheating by talking to competitors during comps

or event organisers not wanting to accept responsibility by not informing people if saya storm is comming through or something

The licence is actually a "certificate of proficiency", commonly known as the MROCP ( Marine Radio Operators Certificate of Proficiency) and is a federal govt requirement under the Australian Communications & Media Authority (ACMA).

In simple terms, the frequencies your using are in the range as those of the TV and radio stations throughout Australia.
Best thing is the certificate is internationally recognised and the courses are great marine safety and instructional days. Check with your local VMR or Coast Guard for their training days.

Have a safe Xmas