PDA

View Full Version : new crab boiler

trueblue
12-12-2008, 12:22 PM
got my self a new 24 litre crab boiling pot, and a new 30 MJ gas burner

now I can cook my crabs up in the shed and have no complaints about the smell and mess doing it in the kitchen.

cheers

Mick

robersl
12-12-2008, 12:26 PM
And i thought i was the only who got into trouble for stinking the kitchen out while cooking crabs

shane

trueblue
12-12-2008, 12:30 PM
this is a good solution in my books

$90 for the pot
$34 for the burner
$16 for a new regulator
Not much for a hose (I already had one)
and a gas cylinder.

make up a esky full of ice slurry to chill them when they come out of the pot, and sit up the shed drinking beer cooking crabs without messing up the kitchen

cheers

Mick

CreelReaper
12-12-2008, 12:43 PM
And I suppose it was a titan!!!!!

Noelm
12-12-2008, 01:09 PM
I found those ring burners take too long to heat up, there is some real good ones about, but they cost the earth

Pete62
12-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Good set up Mick, got the same setup but with an restaurant grade aluminium pot,bought at auction for $2, came with a stainer the same shape that sits inside, the ring burners r a bit slow and they don't like the wind but hey, ya just might have to drink 2 more stubbies............. u forgot to add the cost of Steelwool to scrub out the cooker after you finish:-/

Cheers Pete.

TheRealAndy
12-12-2008, 01:40 PM
That is the exact same setup that I use. Noelm the trick to getting it to heat quicker is to get an old piece of sheet metal and wrap it around the base of the pott. Not to tight, some air needs to flow out. Then cut some air holes at the very bottom. Keeps all the heat in and the wind out!.

I am yet to get a piece of sheet metal for mine, but a mates dad does it this way and its amazing how much quicker the water boils.

shrunken pojie
12-12-2008, 02:01 PM
The sheet metal around the base is great. Have been using that set up for many years camping with a 3 burner stove.

Our new crab pot is an ex KFC oil pot. Is huge and has a tap at the bottom to help with draining when we finish the cookup. All that is left to do now is actually catch some crabs!

trueblue
12-12-2008, 02:13 PM
this ring burner has 6 rings - lots of heat. 14 minutes to boil from cold seawater, kick started with one kettle full of boiling water.

thats twice as fast as my my kitchen stove top burner.

the heat improved dramatically when I closed the shed roller door and stopped the wind. I did plan on putting a shroud around it any way to speed things up.

Another thing I do is put some tea towells on the lid which stops heat getting lost out the top

cheers

Mick

Dirtysanchez
12-12-2008, 04:21 PM
I have seen a bloke who used a 12 or 13 inch wheel rim, cut down the centre with an angle grinder, you know, around the circumference.. makes a nice steel ring for your camp fire or gas burner

Angla
12-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Now that's a better burner. Good luck with the crab cooking.

Chris

finga
13-12-2008, 07:43 AM
That is the exact same setup that I use. Noelm the trick to getting it to heat quicker is to get an old piece of sheet metal and wrap it around the base of the pott. Not to tight, some air needs to flow out. Then cut some air holes at the very bottom. Keeps all the heat in and the wind out!.

I am yet to get a piece of sheet metal for mine, but a mates dad does it this way and its amazing how much quicker the water boils.
How about an 18 gallon keg with the top chopped off.
They come complete with inbuilt legs and shroud and they're stainless to boot.

charleville
13-12-2008, 08:12 AM
How about an 18 gallon keg with the top chopped off.
They come complete with inbuilt legs and shroud and they're stainless to boot.

Where do you get them, please?

finga
13-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Where do you get them, please?

One in my shed I got from my mate the scrapey ::)

robsue
13-12-2008, 03:11 PM
finga
i also use a keg, cut just over half way, grinded some slots in the base so it would fit neatly over the 4 burner i have, i have cooked 20 sandies, i think i would be able to cook about 40...................if i could catch that many, i think over xmas i may keep them green for a day while i wait for the next day's catch...............
i also clean mine before cooking, which would help put more in the pot
cheers
rob

-spiro-
14-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Mick i use a old water urn from work{stainless} i can cook 5 muddies at a time.. but i also rip the tops off them and clean them up first...that way when one pops its guts it don't go through the rest of them..cheers Chris

trueblue
15-12-2008, 08:34 AM
I looked at a stainless pot, but it was 3 times the price

-spiro-
15-12-2008, 04:23 PM
my price was free but it had to go at night time......it was hot before i pluged it in...hehe

trueblue
16-12-2008, 06:06 PM
no cowling needed

stack of bricks works perfectly

35 crabs cleaned, cooked and chilled in less than an hour