PDA

View Full Version : increase legal carrying capacity?

Chamelion
11-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Hello,

Is there a process in which a boats carrying capacity can be incresed? Ie: from 4 to 5, or 5 to 6?

Cheers :)

Matt.

wiz
11-12-2008, 03:19 PM
what sort of boat are we talking about??

Chamelion
11-12-2008, 03:53 PM
4.4m fibreglass runabout.

tropicrows
11-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Are looking at increasing the ATM, or changing the length of the trailer.

If you only need to increase the ATM then it’s yes. If the trailer was a commercially manufactured unit only they can increase the spring rating and then you need to apply for a new label from Qld transport. If the trailer was a home built job, then you can increase the spring rating yourself, and then apply for a new label from Qld transport.
That’s what Qld transport told me as I want to increase the ATM on my trailer.

If you want to increase the length of the trailer then I have no idea.

BaitThrower
11-12-2008, 04:35 PM
I think he means increasing human capacity...

The only way to do it, as far as I am aware is to increase the length of your boat... If you are just short of the next length limit to allow an extra person, you can add pods or similar to increase boat length but be warned that these limits are for smooth waters only and numbers onboard should be reduced for adverse boating conditions.

BaitThrower
11-12-2008, 04:38 PM
For your 4.4m boat the recommended maximum number of persons is 4 (at least in QLD). If you increase length of your boat by 10cm to 4.5m, you can carry 5. (That is 5 adults rated at 75kg each plus 15kg gear each - Children between 1-12 years old count as 1/2 an adult, Children 0-1 yr dont count at all).

If your boat has an Manufacturers or Australian Builders plate that says otherwise, you should follow that with regard to listed maximum persons/carrying capacity.

Chamelion
11-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Cheers fellas :) Pods could be something to look at down the line.. Might give it a little more flotation in the rather low sitting rear too.

But then again, maybe I should save my pennys and aim for an upgrade instead. :P

Matt.

heath7162
12-12-2008, 02:22 PM
I've often wondered about how kids are counted as being passengers as far as the capacity of boats. I see that Baitthrower has mentioned that kids between 1-12 are counted as being 1/2 an adult.

Certainly not questioning that point as I don't know myself but can someone advise if that is written in legislation or otherwise? Sometimes I head out with a mate in my tinny and we both have a couple of kids under 12 but have been worried about getting pinged for overloading as we would be 2 over capacity given the four kids plus two adults.

Sorry to get off topic.

dreemon
12-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Heath, Baitthrower is correct, kids up to 12 also require pdf's when the boat is not anchored, this if for QLD as far as I know, i'ts in the handbook when you take your boating licence test, cheerz

heath7162
12-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks Dreemon, I know about the PFD rules concerning kids but was just wondering about the part about kids under 12 being considered 1/2 an adult under the capacity label.

Is that in the booklet too or is it mentioned somewhere else?

Cheers

Chamelion
12-12-2008, 05:44 PM
It's on my carrying capacity sticker, so I assume it's legitimate. :)