PDA

View Full Version : charts for around Lucinda/Hinchinbrook

magicmarlin
10-12-2008, 07:41 PM
hey guys anyone know where i can get some detailed charts for the area? especially inside the channel and creeks etc

cheers

the lobster
10-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Don't know what level of detail you're after the the North Australian Fish Finder book has some decent aerials of Hinchy and surrounds.

matt

mark r
10-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Boat books in brisbane they have heaps of good charts.If they dont have it in stock they will get it.

levinge
10-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Best advice I can give you is that if you are fishing Hinchinbrook, take a gps with track plot on it, plenty of little back creeks and tributaries. If you don't know the area its a bloody maze to navigate out of.

If you are after charts there is a chart shop in Townsville (South Townsville, Railway Estate), "The Navigation Centre" 147 BOundary Street 07 4772 1069.
They have paper charts and other stuff if thats what you are after..

magicmarlin
10-12-2008, 09:21 PM
yeh mate definately taking a gps with me just keen to check out likely looking spots on the charts and just to get a better look at the place, i have fished it before and loved it but it tends to be a "hot or not" type of place, any advantage i can get i guess.

cheers

levinge
10-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Yep its one of those places where every snag looks too good to be true and you work really hard. There are some really good places up there.

A couple of places to try would be Deluge inlet about 6 kms nort of Haycock Island, it runs into the back of Hinchinbrook island. mates have fished it and it usually produces some good fish.

As others have said, pick up a copy of the North Aust Fish Finder and it will give you more than enough info on where to start. Remember Live Bait is the go up there, they all like fresh food!!!!

the lobster
10-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Remember Live Bait is the go up there, they all like fresh food!!!!

Definitely agree. Forget dead bait.

matt

magicmarlin
10-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Definitely agree. Forget dead bait.

matt

i think on last count the total value of the lures in my tackle box was worth more then my car! love soaking livies too though, how do you guys find works best? sinking them to the bottom near a snag or floating them?

cheers

the lobster
10-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Depends what you're after. If I'm looking for barra/jacks/grunter on live bait I just usually stick a swivel on, a metre long leader and a hook. Then hook the live prawn through the tail. Let it swim around as it normally would. I usually use that method at night and when there isn't much current. Stick the baitcaster on freespool with the clicker on and sit back and have a few beers. ;D

matt

levinge
11-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Spot on Matt, although if your using a live mullet I would tend to use a small sinker just stop him coming to the surface.

whiteman
15-12-2008, 01:26 PM
I've caught plenty using fresh, peeled, dead prawns.