PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Lucinda/Hinchinbrook any tips?

magicmarlin
10-12-2008, 07:29 PM
hey guys heading up after christmas just wondering if anyone is willing to share any tips about fishing the channel/creeks. also keen to know if anyone fishes the loading warf near the lucinda caravan park for GT's? any tips would be welcomed with open arms. post on here or drop me a pm

cheers

noodlemantra
11-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Mate you can do a few searches on the forums and pick up some info from there. Havent fished the jetty before, so cant comment on that.

I will be up that way post xmas too and will be fishing creeks. Im not much of a lure fisho (only when trolling, so i can have a few ales), so if thats your go, im not the person to comment. Perhaps find the gutters and work them on the dropping tide.

I live bait/bait and Ive had good results finding structure (i.e holes). My trip will conincide with the new moon so my plan is to find a hole, drop some squid and livies in and fish all night. Hopefully a few fingermarks and grunter come to the party.

yee haa

Coddie
11-12-2008, 02:53 PM
I heard if you sit at the end of the jetty and float some bait out, alive or dead (ie; pillies) you can hook into all sorts of goodies. GT's, Mackeral, Queenies, etc...

I'm hoping to get there myself in the next couple of weeks, will let you know how I go.

modo
11-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Also make sure you take up plenty of crab pots. We were up there up there xmas last year. Mate Lucinder lolly pops every night with a cold beer :D Just don't bend over too close to the water to pick up the floats use a nice long gaff, And if they start to move let them go. Got some nice foto's of what use to be crab pots. Have a look up as many creeks as you can. We did well casting and trolling. The mate of mine up there caught an 81.5cm fingermark even the locals haven't seen too many that big. All in all you will have fantastic time. ;D

tuff79
11-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Mate If ya like reef fishing, Plenty of awsome reefs to fish, fished the jetty a few times and got good trevs plenty of bust offs spinning and got some nice fingermark,trout,trevs,queenies on plastics, if u head across to the island straight out from the jetty line up the three litte headlands on the western side head straight north overinto the deeper water it will drop to about 15m keep heading and it should then drop again to about 30 or so then start sounding E u will come across some top reef and good bombies.... Good spot when the winds blowing and ya cant get wide.......... OHHHH make sure u get live bait on and around the mud banks just next to the boat ramp befor u head out........

magicmarlin
11-12-2008, 10:06 PM
thans alot tuff79! sounds like you have it pretty wired, did u mean that u caught trout on plastics around the sugar warf?

cheers

tuff79
12-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Yea mate, got 2 ok trout, Not huge but they were still trout!!!!!!!!!! This time of year, if u go to the jetty next to the suger loader jetty, u can fish of it, millions of tarpon on a flotting herring no sinkers at night, good fun............

wilco
12-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Mate, i was up there bout a month ago, it was a bit quite when we where up there, we got a barra, blue salmon and some jacks in bluff creek. Using light weighted plastics.
i went to the jetty just behind the caravan park and saw some GT's busting up the bait just as you walk on the jetty, a bloke i spoke to at the van park said he caught one bout 10kgs at the end of the jetty in the late arvo casting metal sluggs.
We also fished the long jetty it was quite we got a few queenies and got busted up a couple of times on the pylons.
Have fun mate top place.
I went out on crakajack sportfishing charters we got a barra and a few jacks but you get a bit of knowledge of the area a bit which was good and he was happy to give us a couple of GPS marks for some reefs, which we didn't use cause of the weather.

magicmarlin
12-12-2008, 09:40 AM
yeah i did the exact same mate, spent the day with al goodwin on crackajack, i also only got the one barra and a handful of jacks...

thanks alot mate

Coddie
12-12-2008, 10:00 AM
care to share any of those GPS marks?

wilco
12-12-2008, 02:05 PM
care to share any of those GPS marks?
I'd have to check with my mate, his boat so not too sure what he did with them after we couldn't go out wide.

Coddie
12-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Cheers Wilco.

magicmarlin
12-12-2008, 03:01 PM
yeh id definately be keen to grab them aswell if possible

cheers

gammo42
13-12-2008, 07:21 AM
G'day, I havent done a lot of this myself but a good mate of mine often drops metal slices down amongst the pylons of the jetty (mainly towards the end) and gets some very good fish. GT, Queenies etc. Just make sure you have appropriate line and tackle. Min of 30lb braid with a quality mono leader. I have witnessed my mate get smoked a couple of times on 50lb braid and 80lb leader.

But don't just concentrate on the jetty, the bluff across from Lucinda is well fished for Fingermark.

Don't forget also that it is closed season for Barra.....................

I suppose the other good tip is to watch what the locals do..........

Have a great trip, it is a beautiful location.