PDA

View Full Version : Gear box drips oil from muffs area

dreemon
10-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Everybody. I just saw clean oil dripping out from the water intake where the muffs fit onto, pulled the bottom drain plug and it's milky :-/ , so after putting in heaps of hrs at work , no reward to go boat trippin for weekend.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but my manual says there is an O ring on top of a seal (oil seal) and, under the impeller housing, I'm thinking this if the culprit, am I on the right track? and if so how hard is it to do myself, I have not had a look to see if it's accesable or if it needs the shaft to be pulled or? any hints or tips would be awsome ! I just did th impeller about 3 months ago but not the "kit",

the motor is a 91 mariner 2 st, 2 cyl tiller 40 hp,

thanks and Cheers deemon

finga
10-12-2008, 06:01 PM
They're a basic gear box on those and pretty simple to work on.
More then likely the seal under the o-ring or the front seal on the prop shaft.
Corrosion can be evident around the top seal area and might be something to look for.
Also.... do not forget to look at or change the bearings as they're more then likely stuffed as well

FNQCairns
10-12-2008, 06:30 PM
You probably have the driveshaft seal gone if oil is leaking from the water inlet. There is also a shift rod seal up there also.

you have to pull the leg and flush the innards as best you can then refill with good oil,any will do even engine oil to displace as much water as possible, outboard gear oil has no higher emulsification qualities than car hypoid oil, it's the same stuff, contrary to common logical belief.

The driveshaft seal will be under the impeller and fitted into a housing or a machined into a rebate, dunno your engine but they are all relatively the same.

Flush with kero and/or diesel.

good luck fast work saves money and time.

cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
10-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Pressure test the gearbox will save all the guess work!

trueblue
10-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Pressure test the gearbox will save all the guess work!

no point guessing