PDA

View Full Version : Cracked gearbox

Luxyboy
10-12-2008, 06:57 AM
My brothers v140 Yamaha has had a cracked gearbox for a while and he has been ignoring me about getting it fixed.
On the weekend it went bang; mechanic had a look and water came out but no oil ::)

The mechanic says that Yamahas can't be welded because the metal they use isn't up to it, anyone confirm/refute this?

He reckons about $1500 to put a secondhand one on, sound about right?

finga
10-12-2008, 07:17 AM
Poor bugger has learnt a very valuable lesson I think.
Ring around the wreckers and e-bay might have something.
I personally use Southside Outboard wreckers in Bethania. (07) 3805 8595
I don't know if that is close to you or not.

Noelm
10-12-2008, 08:29 AM
sounds a tad expensive for the second hand one, but then again, I have never priced one, I reckon second hand is the way to go, get complete, change Oil and seal (if needed) water pump while it is off and your set.

trev1
10-12-2008, 08:44 AM
I would go th second handy, you know his has been abused and what else is wrong inside apart from the crack.

FNQCairns
10-12-2008, 09:41 AM
They seem to have a habit of cracking where the shaft comes out from corrosion expansion at the bearing carrier and retainer ring or so I have read.

I spent literally hours with a dremel doing brain surgery to my yam90 leg to get all seals and bearing/retainers out then clean it all back up well enough to replace them.

Before doing this I looked around for a replacement but alll I found was ones just as rough and on an exchange basis....if you do buy a secondhand one and it has been reconditioned be sure ALL seals have been replaced or very soon you might be in the same boat but with a different problem.

cheers fnq

Noelm
10-12-2008, 09:52 AM
I did not want to say that incase some Yamaha freak stalked me or something, but I too have fixed a couple and oddly enough they were all 90's

Spaniard_King
10-12-2008, 01:58 PM
My brothers v140 Yamaha has had a cracked gearbox for a while and he has been ignoring me about getting it fixed.
On the weekend it went bang; mechanic had a look and water came out but no oil ::)

The mechanic says that Yamahas can't be welded because the metal they use isn't up to it, anyone confirm/refute this?

He reckons about $1500 to put a secondhand one on, sound about right?

Lux is that the one on the blue Haines(had a look at it yesterday).... if it was the boys were tellin me they were looking at $2200 even if they could find a second handy.. rare as aparently due to the same issue this one has.

Luxyboy
16-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Lux is that the one on the blue Haines(had a look at it yesterday).... if it was the boys were tellin me they were looking at $2200 even if they could find a second handy.. rare as aparently due to the same issue this one has.

Yeah thats the one, you work there?

He is getting a secondhand '96 175 put on it now.
Found out today that the cracked paint around the transom that i hassled him about and he said he had someone check out needs to be cut out and fixed as it is not just the paint like he was told by a different mob.
When will he start listening to his brother ::)