PDA

View Full Version : Update - eBay Fraudster Pinched

Big Shaun
09-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi everyone,

Sometime ago I posted about my brother getting ripped off for $660 for a Tiagra 130 on eBay. He was today phoned by the police advising an arrest has been made. The police said it was a woman in SA who had done over 1000 similar frauds. Needless says if they are all similar value the fraud will be well into 6 figures. If you see and hear anything in the media about please post because I would like to know more about it.

Cheers.
Shaun

trueblue
09-12-2008, 08:07 PM
good

they deserve to be locked up

wilcara
10-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Yay!!!!! ;d ;d

FNQCairns
10-12-2008, 09:46 AM
It's just so easy to do, aided and abetted in each's earlier instances by the bay it's self. Good to hear one copped it.

cheers fnq

TuffTackle
10-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi,
If you buy anything on ebay from an unknown or low feedback seller (click "veiw feedback as seller")

only use paypal, with a credit card as your supply to the paypal account.

(use your credit card to make paypal purchases)

If the seller has high feedback, but has complaints about never receiving an item, don't buy.

If you are still not sure ask for a phone number and call them first.

This covers everything before you hand over any $

If you don't get what you ordered, and the seller clears out their paypal account before you dispute it, you can then lodge a credit card chargeback from your credit card, your card company will then take the money off paypal and give it back to you.

Dory4.1
10-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Good to hear she has been caught. Now, in a perfect world, she should be made to repay each and every person she ripped off, and then fined on the basis of how big her crime was.

dogsbody
10-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Must be Gary Beattie's turn next.

Dave

sid_fishes
10-12-2008, 07:04 PM
only if all the poeple that got ripped were that lucky
i cant beleive he still breathes really
he is lower than sharkshit

Big Shaun
10-12-2008, 07:14 PM
I doubt anyone including my brother will see any money. I recall someone doing a similar fraud with laptop computers out of Sydney. He managed to con over $250,000 out of unsuspecting buyers but he was also caught by some computer wiz. I wonder how many times she sold this tiagra reel. We found another guy in geelong who paid for the same reel. At roughly $650 per go she could be nudging the $500K I reckon.

7739IAN
18-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I t really pays to check feedback on Ebay - i can honestly say i have bought / sold over 600 times all over the world and never had a problem. If it looks too good to be true - it probably is.

juju
21-12-2008, 01:21 PM
woo Hoo....good to hear....

tunaticer
21-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Did that QLDGPS mongrel from Deception Bay get caught yet?

I know two guys that lost out with him.

Ausfish
21-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Did that QLDGPS mongrel from Deception Bay get caught yet?

I know two guys that lost out with him.

See the sticky post in the Electronics section, it is up to 22000+ views so far - http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=121660

:D:):(:'(:-*:-/:-X:-[:P::););D>:(:o8-)

mattooty
21-12-2008, 08:54 PM
What ever ended up happening with the TLD scandal on here about 3-4 years ago? Last I heard was he got caught but never heard where that went in regards to justice.

adamleah
21-12-2008, 09:03 PM
What ever ended up happening with the TLD scandal on here about 3-4 years ago? Last I heard was he got caught but never heard where that went in regards to justice.

Ashley has since done time and I was lucky enough to get back all my $$ gradually over some months that happened to be cheated off me on the day of my wedding.....
I have however spoken to others that lost $$ to him whom have not yet been paid out or even contacted by SPER's so unsure if he had to pay the persons whom lost the most $$ first ??? I lost $750 so was not real good at the time....

Tim_N
22-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Adam got his money back, I'm still waiting.............don't expect to get anything, never did, but at least he was sprung I guess.
Tim

TunaKing2008
26-12-2008, 06:57 PM
checking feedback doesnt always work as we have seen before people create new accounts to leave psitive feedback on the account they are using to con people. i have used ebay for years now and have only been ripped once which paypal sorted out in 5 minutes and refunded my money straight away. no matter what the feeback use paypal only!!! i cant stress this enough if there is a dispute then the seller has to prove they have sent you the item via con note or tracking number through aus post. also another handy tip is to pay the little bit extra and get the parcel registered. just remember feedback is good but not always honest and reliable!!! register your post and pay only via paypal!!!

FNQCairns
26-12-2008, 07:30 PM
How did they refund so fast? I have been caught out 3 times, borderline 4 over a possible 100 purchases in 4 years, ATM I have a claim in for some jewellery I bought for an xmas present from china...a whopping $10 been 4 days so far without a word...tis the fault of season I understand, still going to be a good test case for me and paypal, bet if I get it they put it in my PP account not where it came from my bank account::)

cheers fnq

TunaKing2008
26-12-2008, 07:38 PM
called paypal direct on the phone after i had opened a dispute the seller didnt send the item but said they would refund 20 bucks plus give me a 10% off voucher to use next time (total amount for purchase was 200 bucks) i called paypal and told them i had been stuffed around and the yankie i spoke to fixed it up straight away and all money including post was refunded

disorderly
26-12-2008, 07:43 PM
How did they refund so fast? I have been caught out 3 times, borderline 4 over a possible 100 purchases in 4 years, ATM I have a claim in for some jewellery I bought for an xmas present from china...a whopping $10 been 4 days so far without a word...tis the fault of season I understand, still going to be a good test case for me and paypal.

cheers fnq

I'd have to say Scott...if you are buying your missus $10 jewellry from china then really you deserve what you get...and I dont mean that in a derogatory sense but seriously why would you go there for that type of purchase ???Do you really expect any recourse for such an insignificant purchase...it sounds like a scam ..keep the purchases small and no-one will investigate...just as well you caught some really nice fish for Xmas to keep her happy ....good luck with paypal ...I would not be expecting too much...

Scott

FNQCairns
26-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Scott now you are in big trouble! My missus searched it up and I used my account to finalise;D;D;D....you weren't impling she was cheap??....:-[8-);D

Reading the feedback lately the negs are coming in thick and fast ...he was still selling though::). I had my ebay account stolen and used for fraud, I gave no-one any info either, then Ebay didn't believe I was who I was to hand it back, so I cancelled completely and started again.....I now fully understand how easy it is for scammers to do the same thing over and over, esp when Ebay is so slow (reluctant)to cancel what history has proven to be a good paying seller.

PS. if I giver her directions - she knows where you live!!!!

cheers fnq

PinHead
26-12-2008, 08:08 PM
I'd have to say Scott...if you are buying your missus $10 jewellry from china then really you deserve what you get...and I dont mean that in a derogatory sense but seriously why would you go there for that type of purchase ???Do you really expect any recourse for such an insignificant purchase...it sounds like a scam ..keep the purchases small and no-one will investigate...just as well you caught some really nice fish for Xmas to keep her happy ....good luck with paypal ...I would not be expecting too much...

Scott

I agree..fancy spending $10 on your wife for Xmas..that is some tackle you could have bought..sheesh..so much money on your wife..shame on you.

FNQCairns
26-12-2008, 08:15 PM
I agree..fancy spending $10 on your wife for Xmas..that is some tackle you could have bought..sheesh..so much money on your wife..shame on you.

Sheesh, guys give it a break I also spent near $100 on her for a set of 4 Top Gear DVDs!! was tossin up a new pair of overalls in my size but gee the good ones are expensive now, need to wait until my birthday...Ahem..... her birthday;D;D;D

cheers fnq

disorderly
26-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Sheesh, guys give it a break I also spent near $100 on her for a set of 4 Top Gear DVDs!! was tossin up a new pair of overalls in my size but gee the good ones are expensive now, need to wait until my birthday...Ahem..... her birthday;D;D;D

cheers fnq

Now I'm just laughing too hard to properly respond Scott.,...;D;D;D;D

levinge
26-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey Dis, we in TVL can only hope he's buying his tackle on ebay from china, should give us an advantage at the M&G at Mission Beach.

FNQ you haven't realised that women have a radar for the bling and can tell a cheap rock from the real thing. Treading on dangerous ground trying to pass off the DVD's as hers. I can't buy my missus fishing gear, she fishes and would use it.