PDA

View Full Version : A Day of First's

Brett1907
08-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi guys, have been absent for a while. Haven't gone fishing for ages but got out in the yak this morning, so here's the story.

Well, I decided that instead of going to boot camp on Monday mornings like my wife wants me to do I'll go for a yak under the guise of 'fitness' and accidently bring the rods with me. It was the first time I'd actually been happy getting up when the alarm went off at 4:45 this morning as I remembered the yak sitting on the ute, so got dressed, kissed the missus goodbye and left for my 'cardio workout'. The water looked beautiful at Burleigh this morning. Man was it worth it.

I have only been out in the ocean one other time in the yak, without the fishing gear and on an even calmer day than today. Even though the breakers were only a foot or two, to a non-surfer they look tricky but I got out easily with only a bit of water in the yak. Hey, I'm fishing from a kayak offshore so I'm bound to get wet.

Anyway, I headed out a little way (half way to the shark nets) before I regged up with a 30g maniac on one rod and a 120mm Engel Halco Laser Pro on the other. The Halco was a brand new lure on a brand new Iam Miller Shimano Raider 2-4kg rod and the reel I was using has only been used once before, a Daiwa Excellor 2500 with 12lb finns braid and 14lb leader. I'd only been paddling for about 5 minutes when I saw the Raider start jumping and bouncing. I thought well f@$%k me, I've actually caught something!! :o A very short fight later a nice little bonito came into view.

Unfortunately no other takers for the hour or so I was out, but it I would count it as a successful trip anyway. So I headed back in, packing away all the sharp bits half way back just in case I flipped on the way back in, I'm not a surfer remember. Soo...

Rather embarrasing thing happened on the way in. Thought I had it, was a small breaker, was leaning back and into the wave, had the paddle on the water to my left as I had been shown and was almost in. And then over I go, in 2 feet of water!! :o At least I didn't loose anything and only damaged my pride, but had a chuckle on my way back up the beach.

So it was definately a day of first's.

First fish offshore in the yak.
First fish on the yak, with the new rod, reel, & lure.
First Bonito.
First dump on re-entry in the yak.

All in all, a great start to the day. I will be back there, not next week as I'll be in Byron Bay, but whenever I can!

Brett

Pete62
08-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Nice work Brett, hope u serviced the new reel when u got home:-/

Cheer's Pete