PDA

View Full Version : IBD meets ABT (Monduran Morning event)

NAGG
07-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Arriving at Monduran around lunchtime , we quickly proceeded to set up camp (spoilt at Awoonga - cabins) & after catching up with other competitors ……. We put onto the water for a little recon …….. concentrating our efforts on locations close to the ramp we failed to find an ideal location that was close to the ramp.
Friday saw us move around the main basin & then into the north arm of B ….. where we ran into Steve & Spud …… some positive reports given we continued to look around that area. Eventually we found a promising stretch of water up in the shallows in the south arm of B …… a string of bites around lunchtime & a bit of bait activity lead us to believe we had now a couple of good options for the competition.
On the water before sunrise & ready for the final event we got under way ……. & headed at speed to our set destination - fortunately the faster skeeters that ventured to the same area were in different bays & we could proceed to follow our set plan.
By mid morning we had only managed a couple of bites that Matt got on slick rigs …… & at this point I dropped down to the 4” Hollowbelly rigged on the all terrain jig head . After the best part of an hour casting the HB the hit that occurred stunned me …… A big boil followed by some serious thrashing & I’m tight to a considerable fish . At this point of time Matt has concerns over the bend in my rod thinking that I’m pushing it too hard (light rod) …… still with not a run the fish was just standing & delivering till all the sudden nothing! I was expecting a straightened jig head & Matt broken leader / line …… It came back intact …… but scuffed 4 -5 inches of leader - - - - Damn it
We continued to fish for another hour for nothing & then it was back to the ramp! ……. Clearly it was another tough day at the office with lots of Os & no bites
Day 2 saw us proceed to the same destination ……. Where Matt was getting bites on his slick rig ….. but no hook ups I had a suspicion that they were bass & to prove a point ( avoid wasting time …. Threw a spinnerbait & 80mm slick rig ( for nothing).
The next few hours were uneventful & we decided to just fish some timber after we found another boat in an alternate location. Matt with his keen eye spotted some weed amongst the timber near the island cut through & missed a fish on a stiffy ……. Not long after I’m hit when I cast tight to some weed but fail to hook up
Into the last hour ……. We proceed along a timbered bank till we see some lantana that was well shaded in 3 or 4 foot of water …….. Once again I cast the weedless HB into the thick of the sticks & let it sink ….. I feel a faint bite (almost bass like) – I strike & the rod loads & I’m thinking catfish ………. Till the fish rampages out of its den , past the boat & off towards some timber 20 yards behind the boat ……. Now fully loaded the little loomis steez combo was melting line & not affecting the run ……. Matt chasing hard on the leccy the fish had made it around a couple of broken sticks . I could still feel good contact & we then saw a flash …… It was obviously a good fish
Matt came into his own at this point of time ….. offering the best advice on working out the fish direction & after a couple of false starts the fish was unwound ….. before proceeding to steam off ! Matt calls “This is your PB right here!” …..as the fish rolls on its side prior to turning back towards the timber Some serious determination sees the fish turned & nearly in the net ……. Then Matt does the deed on the next pass - Matt gives the big Whoo hooo” I’m exhausted mentally & both of us sweating after what was my most intense fight with a barra yet …….. 39329 ..Measured The fish came in at only 104cm ( we both thought that it was a much bigger fish) ......... but on bass gear a very special capture8-)
Once photos & measurements taken / recorded – Matt realized that in a tough bite , another fish could be extremely valuable ….. but down to the last 30mins or so ……. We didn’t have the time.
Once back to the ramp it became clear that the day had been extremely tough with only a handful of fish caught ……. So much so that the 1 fish put me in a top 10 finish for the event.

So with the conclusion of the ABT tour Matt & I spent a pleasant evening with Steve / Spud & Woodsy at the Gin Gin Hotel ( Thanks for your hospitality Woodsy)

The ABT tour was well worth doing & I came away feeling that I learnt more …… achieved results well beyond my expectation.
It was great catching up with the likes of Steve (partners Chris & Spud) , Trev , Scotty , Jas , Katie / Elaine , Woodsy & all the other fellow competitors.
A big thanks to Matt …… for his patience , guidance & support – it was a tough tour but enjoyable

Cheers

Nagg

PS .... These never worked 39330

PPS ... The best barra boat 39331 Congratulations Cy & Kerrin

PPPS Final tally 1 x Echidna & associated trailer tyre , 1 x Wallaby , 1 x Jockey wheel , 1 x Millerod ......... 320,051 brain cells

Whitto
07-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Chris and Matt.......You guys were not too shabby at all.....with the fire power competing, you placed very well......Congratulations and thanks for the in depth reports and piccies.......now you have a benchmark for next year;D.....Great Stuff....Whitto

NAGG
07-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Chris and Matt.......You guys were not too shabby at all.....with the fire power competing, you placed very well......Congratulations and thanks for the in depth reports and piccies.......now you have a benchmark for next year;D.....Great Stuff....Whitto

Thanks Whitto

It was a pleasing result , considering our minimal tournament experience ( Matt 2 events) & little exposure to the chosen arenas:) ...... I guess not embarrassing ourselves was the first goal......... & all else was gravy....... specially when you look at the statistics for the events

Chris

reel scream
07-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Great report nagg. Congrats on the PB. You guys seem to have a great time and have a great deal of patients. After 50 casts i start thinking of the salt.

Cheers Scott

chewy01
07-12-2008, 05:49 PM
50 casts or 50 beers scotty, told ya they wood lead u astray, gr8 read as always chris. TAlked to steve today,said the fishing was tough combined with so so weather;D

NAGG
07-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Great report nagg. Congrats on the PB. You guys seem to have a great time and have a great deal of patients. After 50 casts i start thinking of the salt.

Cheers Scott

Thanks Scott

These places are "dams of a thousand casts"

Chris

darylive
07-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Well done NAGG and a great report as always. So are you off home to pack for the big move to Gods country? QUEENSLANDER!

NAGG
08-12-2008, 07:08 AM
Well done NAGG and a great report as always. So are you off home to pack for the big move to Gods country? QUEENSLANDER!

Thanks Daryl

Starting to think more about the move now & come january I'll have to find a place

Chris

Peter4
08-12-2008, 08:40 AM
G'day Chris,

Rather than comment on each ABT post I though I would save my comments until the end......I already sent you and Matt a PM about your individual and team results but the posts completed the picture.

I thoroughly enjoyed the read - especially the full description of the tactics, rigs and lures you used to catch fish. Details about your fishing locations and how you battled the elements were inspiring. I have just come off a successful Mondy trip and could relate closely to some of your adventures.

No doubt you will be back "doin' the ABT thing" in 2009.

Thanks for your posts.......

Regs

Pete

eotbmg
08-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Yes Pete
I second that. Chris and Matt well done. Thanks for adding all the spicy info we all crave to better our personal performances.
Ben

NAGG
08-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks Ben & Pete

I'm glad you enjoyed the read & hopefully got something out of it ........ Its always good to share a bit of info that is learnt along the way .... specially if it works
A good yarn needs the juicy bits:P

Cheers

Chris

Obi _ Wan
09-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Chris and Matt,

Congratulations on your results during the ABT, you did very well.

Oh and Chris, I guess that metery you got on bass gear was with 1kg line lol
Just proves what a good solid hookup will archive.

Cheers,
John.

NAGG
09-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Chris and Matt,

Congratulations on your results during the ABT, you did very well.

Oh and Chris, I guess that metery you got on bass gear was with 1kg line lol
Just proves what a good solid hookup will archive.

Cheers,
John.

Thanks John

1kg x 10 ........ A nice hinge hookup & most certainly my best barra capture (ably assisted by Matt ........ very much a team capture )

Chris

BR65
09-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Im the same as the boys above mate, read em all and saved the congrats to last.
Good effort, great read, well done.

cheers
brian

NAGG
09-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Im the same as the boys above mate, read em all and saved the congrats to last.
Good effort, great read, well done.

cheers
brian

Thanks Brian

Chris

Big_Ren
09-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Yep, ditto to all the above comments. Well done Chris. You deserve to be very proud mate. Matty's knowledge and cool head would also be a tremendous asset to any team.

Cheers
Paul

NAGG
09-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Yep, ditto to all the above comments. Well done Chris. You deserve to be very proud mate. Matty's knowledge and cool head would also be a tremendous asset to any team.

Cheers
Paul

Thanks Paul

Without a doubt on the Matt factor ......... he knows his stuff :)

Chris

TonyM
09-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Well done Chris and Matt! Top effort guys and well deserved.

Chris, I have an idea how you felt after landing that fish on the bass gear, by far my most memorable Barra to date is the girl I landed at the Mondy Muster in the sticks on 20lb - sure makes you use the old noggin to get it to the boat and having a good coach with you (thanks again Les) makes it all soooo much easier! The adrenaline kick on the lighter line is fantastic (maybe I should drop it down to 1kg though eh?) ;D

I look forwards to watching you guys compete again next year and thanks Chris for the detailed reports, look forwards to sharing a beer again soon!

Cheers
Tony

NAGG
10-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Well done Chris and Matt! Top effort guys and well deserved.

Chris, I have an idea how you felt after landing that fish on the bass gear, by far my most memorable Barra to date is the girl I landed at the Mondy Muster in the sticks on 20lb - sure makes you use the old noggin to get it to the boat and having a good coach with you (thanks again Les) makes it all soooo much easier! The adrenaline kick on the lighter line is fantastic (maybe I should drop it down to 1kg though eh?) ;D

I look forwards to watching you guys compete again next year and thanks Chris for the detailed reports, look forwards to sharing a beer again soon!

Cheers
Tony

Thats right Tony .... you did get that MM winning fish on lighter string. I've gotta say there is something to be said for going down the lighter string path . After the best part of 3 weeks of constant casting ...... It was nice to pick up that combo & cast it for a while (those that picked it up ...... were shocked at how light it was) ........ combine this with the need to go down to 7gram jig heads (4" Hollowbellies) .... it was a winner under the circumstances. I can see myself using this combo again :P ...... for the record I took 1 x 54 ,1 x 86, 2 x 88s & 1 x 104cm on that outfit

Are you doing the BB in march ???

TonyM
10-12-2008, 08:08 AM
I'll be at BB for sure :)

After punishing my body on ooglies from the deep at 1770 last weekend I'm looking forwards to getting back to some sweetwater fishing to round out this year and kick off the next!

Cheers
Tony