PDA

View Full Version : Running a 2 stroke without oil

laugag
07-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi

went down to rosslyn bay today for a trip out around the keppels.
However I have two yamaha fuel tanks in the boat and accidently hooked up the one that did not have premixed oil in it. I was still in the harbour and I ran it for probably no longer than 30 secs but I noticed that motor changed pitch and I quickly realised my mistake. Cut the motor and switched over to the proper tank.It ran normally over the next couple hours. :P

Obviously you can sieze your motor doing this, and was probably some wear even in 30secs.

Does anyone know if these yamaha 2 strokes 50hp have a oil filter. couldnt see one as I was going to check for any steel filings..

Any advice people? Have I Likely to have damaged that motor any?

Thanks for comments

The-easyrider
07-12-2008, 02:51 PM
No I dont think any probs will be likley in such a short time at low revs

FNQCairns
07-12-2008, 03:01 PM
yeah they get real strange sounding, throatier like, what remedial work did you do? 30 seconds at idle is OK, but when you changed tanks did you use the same fuel line ie the line is full of raw fuel as is the carbs enough for 8 minutes idling with no oil = not good at all.

cheers fnq

Kleyny
07-12-2008, 06:04 PM
FNQ is spot on.

30 seconds of idle no dramas. BUT if you didnt drain the fuel out of the carbs and or line, then went about as normal you may have taken a few hours off the engines life.

neil

Fish'n Junky
08-12-2008, 06:49 AM
I'm not trying to sound like a smart @ss mate, but my personal rule is that no fuel comes aboard without oil in it.
I've heard the argument that it spoils faster, but even so, a few discarded tanks is way cheaper than a rebuild.
I hope everything is ok, and that minimal damage was done.

Noelm
08-12-2008, 07:59 AM
I guess when it is ll said and done, running anything without Oil is not such a wise thing, but it's done now, so as long as the Motor still goes OK, does not make any untoward knocking noises, then just keep using it and hope for the best.

Spaniard_King
08-12-2008, 08:08 AM
I agree with Noelm :)

just keep using it and only be concerned if it starts making unusual noises.. and try not to read anything into the noises

coucho
08-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Hi

Does anyone know if these yamaha 2 strokes 50hp have a oil filter. couldnt see one as I was going to check for any steel filings..

Any advice people? Have I Likely to have damaged that motor any?

Thanks for comments

if there is a filter it would only be an inline filter between the oil tank and the injection point but there is normally not and since your running premix the no no oil filter as the oil goes through the fuel filter. there is no sump and no circulating oil in two storkes so there will be no metal filling from internal damage in the oil two strokes burn thier oil.
probably only real thing you could look at would be to pull the spark plugs out and have a squiz doubt you will see metal fillings but you might see signes of extreme temprature.
But I agree with noelm too

laugag
08-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks people for your input.

Seems like it is running ok. I guess not much I can do now except not do it again....