PDA

View Full Version : Camping on the Mitchell

Jomaweb
07-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Planning on heading to the Mitchell river behind Mt Carbine sometime over Xmas. Can anyone give me any advice on what we can catch in the river, i have herd of the mitchell river prawn and apparently there are a few black bream ect, but anything else we can really target, and should we be using lures or bait. If mitchell is too busy we might go to Mcloud river a little south. Same questions. Thanks guys.

Jomaweb
07-12-2008, 07:48 PM
not a reply yet, omg, come on ppl, surely someone knows some stuff about it.

Gordie
09-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Mate they will turn up with advice I am sure, they are a good bunch on this site.

The last time I was there we were catching Barra in the nets while we were chasing the Johnson Crocs. So take your barra outfits, may have caught some Togas also, cant quite remember.

Dont think the salties wont be there mate, one had his eye on me every day for a week. This was on a long waterhole on Dunbar Station.

Probably changed now as this was 43 years ago. ( You could legaly hunt for skins back then fellas. )

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Gordon

Coddie
12-12-2008, 01:31 PM
I was up there over Haloween. As far as fishing goes and I'm tipping your're going hurricane station way, don't expect aything great. For fun we were catching little JPs (about 5inches long) on cheese.

Hurricane Station is the only place of been so not sure about any other spots along the river.

flatzie
15-12-2008, 07:47 AM
I have fished and camped near Mt Carbine on the Mitchell many times. All the stuff about crocs and Barra is not relevant to this section of the river, its way upstream of that country. I have dived there and speared redclaw, Giant prawns etc.
You can catch
Sooty grunter (black bream)
Coal Grunter
Eel Tail catfish
Fork tail catfish
Sleepy Cod - Ugly dark coloured fish with lovely white flesh great eating!
Set pots or dillies for redclaw and prawns.
Take worms, some salami is OK as well for Sootys etc. eat sootys fresh baked in coals they are great, but awful if you try to freeze them etc. Lures are good too for sootys, small minnows work best, I have caught heaps on them.

Lovely camping up there and great swimming etc.
Hope that helps mate
Flatzie