PDA

View Full Version : IBD meets ABT (Awoonga night championships)

NAGG
07-12-2008, 08:19 AM
With the Northern rounds completed , Matt & I were looking for redemption after our lean results . Well rested after our stay in the comfortable cabins at Willowgrove , we spent the prefish day circumnavigating the dam & looking for alternate locations for different conditions.
On the actual game day .... we arrived to the briefing with the talk of potentially delaying the start of the event due to strong wind warnings & when put to the vote the motion was carried to turn the night event in an all dayer (4am-8pm) ....... The rest is history - - no wind or storms
Once the event was underway , we found ourselves fishing to a magnificent sunrise in the northern arm 39292 ...... unfortunately there was a lack of surface activity or bait....... not what we were hoping for.
After several re locations in ever increasing wind conditions , we soon found ourselves drawn to a windblown bank that had a few enquiries the previous day in similar conditions (Matts ability to read the water was a big plus). With considerable weed growth along the bank which made traditional presentations a lesson in frustration ....... Fortunately I picked up some 5/0 Nitro All Terrain jig heads a couple of days earlier which seemed ideal for a 4" hollowbelly. Matts concern for hookup rates were duly noted , though as we were now half way through the event it was time to break with conventional thinking to at least get a bite. After just a few casts on my bass combo (Loomis CR722 , Steez & 20lb Superline) I was pleased to be able to throw the hollowbelly into the weed & slow roll it out through the discoloured transition line (no weed) ....... & within a few more casts I was on. With my concerns being for the light jig head ..... low rod angles & as much side strain as I dared apply kept the fish down...... a little patience & a nice 88cm fish was netted 39293 ...... phew:P spit spit ... to get rid of the taste of doughnut ;D
Within 30 mins ... It was Matts turn , but this time on a lightly twitched Stiffy (bony bream) ....... & you could see his delight / relief when the 74cm fish was boated:2vrolijk_08:
Ever increasing winds & waves now made anchoring extremely difficult ........ we made several re locations over the course of the afternoon - all to no avail. We decided to pull the pin an hour early & head back for a cold beer or 6.
With the talk of how tough the fishing was ....... I was extremely pleased with my first top 20 finish ..... & felt keen to get the 2 day evening event underway

To be continued
Matt , please feel free to add to this thread

Nagg