PDA

View Full Version : IBD meets ABT (Peter Faust .... aka Lake Misery)

NAGG
06-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Matt & I arrived at Gunna Go Caravan Pk just after 1am ...... knackered from spending a whole day on the water at Kinchant & Teemburra - we just couldn't be bothered about setting up a tent ........ so we just put up a tarp , rolled out the self inflating mattresses must for all campers) ....... Oh & Matt put together his loft apartment bunk bed ...... you should see this thing:o ::)

Now ..... PF & I have a love hate relationship ( Home of my first 2 meteries- several fish lost ........ & poor weather / results) With the huge increase in water levels over the past year making it virtually unrecognisable , combined with Obi-wans horror trip during October & Trevs/Scotties less than appealing prefish results - I was a little unsure of what to expect .
Our first glimpse ....... wow 39239 - So with a couple of days of prefishing , we started to plot our way around this large body of water. Once we entered the timbered area at a position suggested by Obi-wan - I was surprised :o where had all the large trees gone ??? answer : Underwater. With the water quality in the shallows not exactly giving any inspiration- we proceeded to look for spindly tree tops in 10-12 foot of water & slightly cooler water .......... not too long later I find myself in a horror situation! After tying on a gold stiffy twitch bait ...... I've made a cast to a tree top on the edge of a cleared path ..... A good cast between the couple of main sticks - TWITCH & BANG! ..... an explosive strike , jump & I'm solid to around a meter fish ....... & then it happened again .... reel in one hand & rod in the other - Still loaded up & fish on we race over to the tree ( with Matt reattaching the reel to the rod). Unfortunately the fish used this opportunity to stitch me up........... Now what happened next ::) Matt seeing that there were only two main branches ........ stripped down to his jocks & jumped in to see if he could unwind the fish ..... CRAZY STUFF!!!! I was concerned with an owner equipped lure down there ! Clearly Mrs Barra did a good job & was gone .............. :( Has Steve Irwin been reincarnated :-/
Except for Matt loosing a fish a short time later the day proved uneventful.
The next day ...... Matt managed a nice little fish on a twitched boney in very shallow & stagnant water 39240
Later that morning we found what we were looking for ..... & with Matt missing a couple of fish (big swirls) this was to be our destination!
With an early start (3am safety check) we dragged our butts the 30km to the dam ......... & on the way bowled over my first Wallaby for the trip:( & something else that was going to exact its revenge later:LOL:
Well except for me getting smashed on a 6" hollowbelly close to the boat ...... on my first cast ( thinking about my next cast) ...... big boil & nothing + several other follows ....... the day was CRAP!!!! ........ & got crappier ! On retrieving the boat , I noticed that the trailer tyre was flat - Close inspection revealed the culprit - ECHIDNA ....... With many spines lodged in the tyre ( & they are hollow) ...... The light truck tyre was ruined.
DAY 2 was just as bad as the first ....... probably worst .... Though Steve did manage to catch a 190cm (his mate Chris:o ) ..... but we can leave that to Steve.
Back to Gunna go for the presentation & quickly packed for our run down to Awoonga!
With Lake Proserpine left in our dust ( where it should be) - we were off ( Thank god)

Nagg

To be continued

PS ...... Sorry about the lack of fish (a common result)
PPS ....... Well done to the Taylor boys with an impressive 2nd day bag

Barry Ehsman
06-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Yea NAGG a mate who was camping with us at Kinchant left very early one morning for a day at what he now call's Lake Misery.....not a touch :(

I'm just glad he coudn't talk me into going with him........:)

NAGG
07-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Yea NAGG a mate who was camping with us at Kinchant left very early one morning for a day at what he now call's Lake Misery.....not a touch :(

I'm just glad he coudn't talk me into going with him........:)

Hi Barry ..... I dont know what is going on with Faust but while it is lake Misery.... The place is compelling with some big mothers in there - - Its just a hard place to read when there is such a high water level

Chris

SnowE
07-12-2008, 01:59 PM
When were you guys fishing there, here are some photos from two weeks ago. We fished 22,23 & 24 Nov for some good results. The fish were mainly in the main basin, and while we caught all of our fish trolling, I feel that they could have been caught by locating them and then casting to the fish. Biggest for the trip was 119cm caught about 400mts from the boat ramp.

Check out the bonies in the mouth of the fat Barra in pics 5 & 6, and it still ate a lure.

I must admit this is the best I have ever done at PF, and will keep me coming back.;D

Cheers,
SnowE

NAGG
07-12-2008, 03:58 PM
When were you guys fishing there, here are some photos from two weeks ago. We fished 22,23 & 24 Nov for some good results. The fish were mainly in the main basin, and while we caught all of our fish trolling, I feel that they could have been caught by locating them and then casting to the fish. Biggest for the trip was 119cm caught about 400mts from the boat ramp.

Check out the bonies in the mouth of the fat Barra in pics 5 & 6, and it still ate a lure.

I must admit this is the best I have ever done at PF, and will keep me coming back.;D

Cheers,
SnowE

Nice result SnowE ...... We were there around the 14th & 15th - And yes an improvment was on the cards ...... once things stabilised & those FV%i$g skeeters got off the water ;)

Chris

Obi _ Wan
09-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Chris, nice report mate, sorry about the result but unfortunately its been extremely tough this year, had a friend say the place plays with your mind, he could well be right it certainly knocked me onto my butt.

Sorry mate but you got the place name wrong, it's called "THE VALLEY OF DOOM"

Cheers,
John.

NAGG
09-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Chris, nice report mate, sorry about the result but unfortunately its been extremely tough this year, had a friend say the place plays with your mind, he could well be right it certainly knocked me onto my butt.

Sorry mate but you got the place name wrong, it's called "THE VALLEY OF DOOM"

Cheers,
John.

VALLEY OF DOOM & GLOOM more like it

Chris

wilco
10-12-2008, 08:05 AM

Cheers,
SnowE

SnowE,
great fish there mate, you did really well for the days you where there.
I was up there at the end of october and it was tuff, all the fish we caught where on the troll in the late arvo at the wall end. Looks like thats still the same.

wilco
10-12-2008, 08:18 AM
we where up there for 6 days, and the first fish was on the first day and it was 113cm, unfortunately not mine. But catching that first fish we where thinking it was going to go off, We ended up catching a fish a day and drinking a thousand beers!