PDA

View Full Version : van gas fridge on boat

wayneoro
05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
geez advertised as a marine 3 way fridge/freezer is a dometic rm4601 [184 litres]build in [no skin] current model very cheap . ok i buy it . runs great. i ring there queensland agents,a woman answars tells me tech is away she gives 2 ph numbers of fridge people in bundy who can help . 1st one only does repairs 2nd dosnt do gas. so i ring dometic ltd victoria , there tec there who sounds young is full of doom and gloom and recommended that these should not be on a boat . ;D surely there must be a way to sanely install and use it ::)

Dirtysanchez
05-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Where are you ?

Try caravan refrigeration at Lawnton

wayneoro
05-12-2008, 06:46 PM
dometic is electrolux

Roughasguts
05-12-2008, 09:20 PM
I don't think a gas fridge should be on a boat either.
Dometic fridges like to stay still unless on 12 volt then they travel quite well and run pretty good. But on gas nup should be kept as still as possible me thinks.

Then if the gas flame goes out you fill your bilge with gas! not a good thing caravans go to great lenghs to vent any gas out of the van at the lowest points with vents.

Can't do that with a boat I'm afraid.

banksmister
06-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Mate sounds like a big fridge so it must be a fairley large boat
is it going out the back or in galley ?
There are rules and regs regarding this [dept mines and energy i think]
Few issues id have are
1 I would be concerned if it was a petrol motor
2 These type of fridges need to be very level to work [all the time as they work on thermocirculation]
Note There is a failsafe in all modern gas fridge freezers that turns the gas of
if the flame goes out after about 30 sec [if its working]
I myself would be going down another road

death_ship
06-12-2008, 07:21 AM
mate ive installed a few of them, and certified plenty on boats, whats the issue?

tigermullet
06-12-2008, 11:14 AM
We run a Dometic (Chescold Rc1180) on our boat without problems. They are supposed to be level but we get away with a bit of rocking and rolling at anchor and, also, we have a flat deck, a well ventilated position with nil possibility of gas pooling if there is a leak.

Caravan Refrigeration at Lawnton is, in my opinion, the ONLY place to go for service. It's a bit of a drive from here but well worth the effort.

A few weeks ago we needed some help with a minor problem with the RC1180 and Caravan Refrigeration was the only business that was approachable, helpful and devoid of BS. Not only that, we had the fridge back within 24 hours.

wayneoro
06-12-2008, 03:21 PM
cheers guys thats great news from tigermullet and deathship phew thought maybe i had bought something i couldnt use . i have spoken to a tradesman in harvey bay who is checking it out offically and will let me know on monday . there is no one in bundy . the fridge will be on the deck there is shade cloth all round so plenty air . its venting the flu through the clears or canopy that will need to be thought out . plus as this fridge was designed to be built in and has no skin i was hoping to cover it in timber for shelves etc etc . dometic tech; told me these fridges are for caravans and not suitable for boats . plus if i put put timber on exterior it would be like putting a jumper on it and alter its normal operation

wayneoro
08-12-2008, 07:03 PM
ok got the nuts on the level issue there isnt one unless u are parked on a hill etc ocean and road movement no worries. servcing every few years turn your fridge upside down for ten minutes . only big issue is airflow =plenty cool air coming in low and hot air discharged high next case this one is done lol

Dirtysanchez
09-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Wayne, you should consider a small 12V Dc fan, mounted at the back, at perhaps right angles to the chassis, that way if the flam goes out, and you start to pool gas, the fan will help dissapate it..

Tigermullet, the boys at Lawnton are bloody good aren't they ? helped me heaps with my last caravan, had an old Electrolux in her that payed up a few times, never too much trouble to investigate this and that for me

tigermullet
10-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Wayne, you should consider a small 12V Dc fan, mounted at the back, at perhaps right angles to the chassis, that way if the flam goes out, and you start to pool gas, the fan will help dissapate it..

Tigermullet, the boys at Lawnton are bloody good aren't they ? helped me heaps with my last caravan, had an old Electrolux in her that payed up a few times, never too much trouble to investigate this and that for me

I'd agree with that assessment. It takes 45 minutes to drive from here to Caravan Refrigeration at Lawnton via the dreaded Gateway but I would not go anywhere else.

Before phoning them I tried three other places on the south side of Brisbane and got the run around with lots of BS thrown in from every one of them.

I would rather put up with one and a half hour return drive to get the fridge to Caravan Refrigeration and repeat it to pick up the unit when fixed than to consider going anywhere near one of the other businesses I phoned.

wayneoro
11-12-2008, 06:05 AM
would love to b close anough to go to lawton hope they do mail order when i finally find out what i need will order from them . there is so many different opinions on the basic installation plus those that would rather have a guess then say they dont know. thank heavens for ausfish =1000 great minds working day and nite to solve a fellow members problem

wayneoro
11-12-2008, 06:09 AM
ty dirty it appears that is a great idea seems best is to install a fan that is temp controlled turns on at 100deg u have it at the bottom of the fridge