PDA

View Full Version : Yellowfin Boats

mossy43
05-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Could anybody tell me the name of the company that built the Yellowfin Plate Aluminium Boats which I am lead to believe to be built in or around Brisbane back in the 80’s. I am after some motor specifications on horsepower ratings etc. I have just purchased a 5-meter centre console with a 115 Johnson 2 stroke (2005 mod) on the back and would like to check for insurance reasons. Thanks in advance.

Mossy

pedrodepacus
05-12-2008, 03:04 PM
pretty sure it was quintrexhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/ (http://www.marinetrader.com.au/photo/63086/258045/)

samson
05-12-2008, 03:13 PM
That wasn't the one down at miami on the goldy was it?

mossy43
05-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Yes it was why was there something wrong with it ?

Mossy

Greg P
05-12-2008, 03:39 PM
I think Stessel bought the original Yellowfin

samson
05-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Not that i know of, mate traded it on a fomosa though he wasn't happy with its ride he said it was very tippy in 30knots one day he got scared and changed his mind and got something else.

Can i ask what was paid for it, as it looked like a strong rig?

cbs
05-12-2008, 04:13 PM
It was Stessl according to a drawing I have.

dfox
05-12-2008, 04:15 PM
I think Stessel bought the original Yellowfin

Yeah, greg's right , stessl built yellowfins ...

NIZ180
05-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Sorry I couldn't help myself :-X

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n213/rocky0707/DSCN1543.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n213/rocky0707/DSCN1541.jpg

Grand_Marlin
05-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Both Stessl and Quintrex built the Yellowfin.

Exactly what the story was / as to who built what and when and what changes - I have no idea.

Both boats were regarded as excellent sea boats.
I have owned a 5.6 Stessl and been on a 7.0m Quintrex and as far as I am concerned they were both pieces of sh!t.
The Stessl 5.6 was very hard riding and would not go where you pointed it.
Probably the most disconcerting feeling I have ever had in a boat.
The Quintrex rode ok but was very, very rocky due to the sharp deadrise.

Cheers

Pete

Tri N Hard
05-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Stessel built the ones in early 80,s. I think quintrex built a few in the early 90,s they had the pressed sides .I think a 115hp would be perfect you would not need any bigger.I have a 5.8 sportfish c cab with a 115hp and it flys.I wouldn't worry to much about what other say about the yellow fin they look like a very strong boat its proubly 5mm bottom 3mm sides the guys that had bad experiences in them might have had the motor not trimmed right or not set up properly any boat will handle like a chunka if these things aren't right.There were a few on ebay this year for sale.

Greg P
05-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Regardless of how they handled they were certainly at the forefront of fitout for trailerable sportfishers. I remember drooling over them at the boatshow with the old boy when they first came out. Them and Sportfish certainly set the pace in terms of fitout. Built in live bait, kill tanks and baitboards in those days were non existant.

Grand_Marlin
05-12-2008, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about what other say about the yellow fin they look like a very strong boat its proubly 5mm bottom 3mm sides the guys that had bad experiences in them might have had the motor not trimmed right or not set up properly any boat will handle like a chunka if these things aren't right.

What a stupid thing to say - maybe you should test drive one or check the credentials of the person making the post before giving such great advice....

I do agree, they were built very strongly.

Greg, you are spot on - they had an excellent fitout.
One of the only boats available that was set up as a great fishing platform.
It left any fibreglass boat of the same era for dead.
I think the Cruisecraft 580 Outsider was the first real attempt by a fibreglass boat builder to make a dedicated fishing boat.

Shame they wouldn't handle.

Cheers

Pete

Tri N Hard
05-12-2008, 09:23 PM
What a stupid thing to say - maybe you should test drive one or check the credentials of the person making the post before giving such great advice....

I do agree, they were built very strongly.

Greg, you are spot on - they had an excellent fitout.
One of the only boats available that was set up as a great fishing platform.
It left any fibreglass boat of the same era for dead.
I think the Cruisecraft 580 Outsider was the first real attempt by a fibreglass boat builder to make a dedicated fishing boat.

Shame they wouldn't handle.

Cheers

Pete

Well u may have though it was stupid but i was just trying to reasure Mossy that his boat might not be as bad as some others say he proubly thinks now he's bought a lemon.Im intitle to my opinion, maybe you shouldnt be so quick to get on your hobby horse.For the record i have been in a 6m yellowfin set up as a trap boat and it went well and it had to be stable to pull a fish trap on one side.

mossy43
05-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys for the replies I will give stessel a ring on Monday morning. I have been out in my boat a number of times although not in real rough weather and it handles to situation well. They have a rather deep vee in them which does make them a little unstable at rest but in the short chop we have here in Hervey Bay they tend to travel ok. Again thanks for the replies.

Mossy

Locky1
19-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi Mossy

I'm new to Ausfish and originally found this thread on the net while looking for info on Yellowfin boats. How did the boat turn out? I'm currently looking at one and would like to get some feedback from an owner. If you can help with info on ride, stability, engine suitability etc it would be greatly appreciated.

Locky

dazza
19-01-2009, 09:54 PM
hi all,
owned a stessel yellowfin in the early 90's, 19 foot
originaly it had a 110hp yammie 2 st, we repowered with a 115 johnson 2 st, it had plenty of go, used to do a bit of diving back then and it carried the load no worries, upgraded it to a 6m signature now got a haines 680sf.
the old yellowfin was and still is the best fishing platform out of the 3, the ride was pretty rough, used to broach but i was young and probably drove it way too hard and went when i should have stayed, it had manual trim tabs on it which were a godsend,
in the right weather driven sensibly you won't get a better boat
cheers
dazza

Tim_N
20-01-2009, 08:55 AM
That's right Dazza,
It used to bang like a dunny door and broach........geez broach,. it would scare the bejesus out of you, but as a platform, great.
Just getting out and getting home was a bugger.
Tim

Locky1
21-01-2009, 08:10 AM
I had a Vickers years ago when I lived in Sydney and it broached badly and I don't want to go through that again. My minds made up on that hull.

Thanks for the feedback.

Locky

john ford
26-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Anyone know much about 5.8 pacific sportfish centre cab