PDA

View Full Version : IBD meets ABT (Teemburra)

NAGG
05-12-2008, 08:17 AM
The first round of the ABT held at Teemburra saw Matt & I nervous / excited but with a clear plan of what we needed to do ……… Tactics were discussed & destination set …….all we needed to do was hope that 1 or 2 of the earlier boats did not beat us to our destination:-/
With a staggered start we watched as boats blasted their way towards our part of the dam (Teemburra Ck) …… As we ran past Trev & Scotty & 1 other boat , we were confident that our little spot would be ours – though the remnants of a bubble trail indicated that a boat had recently been through ……. Our worst fears were soon realized when we saw a little tinny on our spot - - - Now all credit to Matt who urged me not to get within 100M …. We soon found ourselves being abused :furious2:.. :stunned: (mistaken identity) – worst still they hook up & land their first fish. With no option but to commence fishing ……. I soon found my self hooked up on bass gear & a little C lure to a feisty fish ……. Rod in one hand , reel in the other – fortunately the fish was only a 54cm job & no damage was done – what a way to land your first fish in the ABT
The evening proceeded slowly in the creek till we decided to proceed to our night location …… fortunately this prominent location had been ignored . We fished this location to the death for zip
Day 2 saw Matt & me up early for a quick dash to Kinchant for a social fish ….. after some suggestions from Trev & Scotty – As we were staying only 15 mins away it turned out to be a good move with several barra missed by Matt on surface lures , though he managed a couple of sooties. Cruising through the weed beds we were gob smacked seeing free swimming barra ( incl meter +ers) & many sooties - I described it as an aquarium ….. It was that clear . later that morning we were fishing to barra that were only a few feet below the boat & once we worked out our presentation , we landed a few small fish on scorpions 39201 & a megabass minnow 39200. Matt unfortunately straightened a treble on a 90 …. & lost the fish. Finally we threw some frogs at some tailing big fish to no avail …….. but still exciting stuff!!!
On the water at 3 pm for our 4pm start …….. We had a lot to do to be in the money & decided to fish a little bay that was also popular with Steve B 39202……. Arriving behind Steve we agreed to fish one side of the bay each. Not long in matt hooks & lands an 80s fish on a evil minnow slick rig – whooo hooo – just what was needed:2vrolijk_08: . 10 mins later I hook up to another similar size fish - half way in & nothing (spat hook) ……… As we moved on to the back of the bay Matt is slammed & during the first jump the slick rig is propelled 5M into the air:'( …. Bugger !!! . Unfortunately Matt missed a couple more fish prior to dark ------ then things went quiet. We relocated to fish our grassy island & it wasn’t long before I was onto my second fish – landed & measurements / photos taken we finished off the session with 1 each , though 3 fish lost that would have been contenders for the Daiwa big fish prize. A mid field finish – we avoided the doughnut!:happy:
After a few drinks at the Pinnacle hotel ……. We drove through to Proserpine & the second event!

To be continued
Matt please feel free to add photos & comments

Nagg

Pete62
05-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Well done boys, a good result in tough conditions, looking forward to the next chapter.
All it would have taken was for a couple of those hooks to stick and you would have been right up there.

Good luck in the next round.

Cheers, Pete.

Obi _ Wan
05-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Chris, thats a good result for your first ABT, well done to both you and Matt.

Shame about the dropped fish but that seems to be the norm up that way over the past few months.

Can't wait to see your report on F*#@*^# Faust, the windy centre of QLD. Still not quite over it, maybe that will happen one day.

Cheers,
John.

PS. Did you get my text message when you were in Bris. ? Tuesday i think.

NAGG
05-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Chris, thats a good result for your first ABT, well done to both you and Matt.

Shame about the dropped fish but that seems to be the norm up that way over the past few months.

Can't wait to see your report on F*#@*^# Faust, the windy centre of QLD. Still not quite over it, maybe that will happen one day.

Cheers,
John.

PS. Did you get my text message when you were in Bris. ? Tuesday i think.

Thanks John

I did see the message ........ but when I got out of the car at coffs harbour::)

Faust :'( :( ::) :behead:

Barry Ehsman
05-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Well done NAAG on the ABt you should have called in for a beer while you where at Kinchant would have been great,,,,, we were the only camps there on the water..........

But to know you bloke's did it tough only make's me feel better

NAGG
05-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Well done NAAG on the ABt you should have called in for a beer while you where at Kinchant would have been great,,,,, we were the only camps there on the water..........

But to know you bloke's did it tough only make's me feel better

Thanks Barry

We only had the opportunity to fish Kinchant 1 morning prior to the start of the second day of the ABT event ..........

Callop
05-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Please sir, can I have some more???????

2manylures
05-12-2008, 11:23 PM

Cheers,
John.

Have you ever asked yourselves WHY?

It's only the norm for those doing the same thing!

Want to hook & land fish boys, put the thinking caps on & keep em on.

The answer is very simple;D ;D ;D

Awoonga
06-12-2008, 05:05 AM

The answer is very simple;D ;D ;D Well Mr too many lures since this forum is about helping l am sure you can help many of us that drop fish so please share this little gem....

NAGG
06-12-2008, 06:01 AM

The answer is very simple;D ;D ;D

I'm just a simple person ....... so any help will be greatly appreciated
I'm also sure that the other 140 or so competitors would also appreciate some help :P

Chris

Whitto
06-12-2008, 06:18 AM

The answer is very simple;D ;D ;D And thus ended the Lesson.....Apparently

NAGG
06-12-2008, 07:44 AM
And thus ended the Lesson.....Apparently

Apparently so ::)

2manylures
06-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Not being a professional angler & having never fished for Barra my comments would only be scoffed at or treated with sarcasm as has already been the case.

Having said that you blokes need to lighten up, some more than others.

The turtle & the hare spring to mind.;D ;D ;D as do the Taylor brothers.

TinarooTriumph
06-12-2008, 09:09 AM
& having never fished for Barra my comments would only be scoffed at or treated with sarcasm...

Fair play my new friend... fair play.

Enjoy your day ::)

NAGG.

Well done on the Tour mate... I sat back and watched the results via AusBarra.com. Would of loved to have been there myself but theres always next year. You finished very well in the AOY mate, a credit to your attitude towards your fishing. For a NSW bloke, not bad... not bad at all ;D

Theo

NAGG
06-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Not being a professional angler & having never fished for Barra my comments would only be scoffed at or treated with sarcasm as has already been the case.

Having said that you blokes need to lighten up, some more than others.

The turtle & the hare spring to mind.;D ;D ;D as do the Taylor brothers.

That sounds like a cop out answer 2 Many
You obviously have something in mind ...... & I'm sure many would like to hear your opinion.

Turtoise & the hare ....... ???

Taylor boys ....... are a class above everyone else ( but dont dismiss that they spend more time on impoundments than 95% of their fellow competitors......which combined with their talent & oneness (being 2 parts of Triplets) ...... :P

Chris

NAGG
06-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Fair play my new friend... fair play.

Enjoy your day ::)

NAGG.

Well done on the Tour mate... I sat back and watched the results via AusBarra.com. Would of loved to have been there myself but theres always next year. You finished very well in the AOY mate, a credit to your attitude towards your fishing. For a NSW bloke, not bad... not bad at all ;D

Theo

Thanks Theo

Yes .... A pleasing result that was well beyond my wildest expectation.

If you can ..... try to do the tour or at least the Northern rounds - I cant recommend it highly enough. It certainly brings you out of any comfort zones.

You need to see more cockroaches up in qld;D

Chris

2manylures
06-12-2008, 09:44 AM
That sounds like a cop out answer 2 Many
You obviously have something in mind ...... & I'm sure many would like to hear your opinion.

Turtoise & the hare ....... ???

Taylor boys ....... are a class above everyone else ( but dont dismiss that they spend more time on impoundments than 95% of their fellow competitors......which combined with their talent & oneness (being 2 parts of Triplets) ...... :P

Chris

Nagg it wasn't a cop out answer at all. You just didn't read it properly.;D

Awoonga
06-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Now Mr tooo many lures you say you have never fished for Barra.... but you made a commet about how to stop them from jumping ...There are ways.. reduce pressure on the fish for one... but it depends on where the fish is hooked.. if its way down the hatch its a waste of time trying to stop them from jumping

2manylures
06-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Now Mr tooo many lures you say you have never fished for Barra.... but you made a commet about how to stop them from jumping ...There are ways.. reduce pressure on the fish for one... but it depends on where the fish is hooked.. if its way down the hatch its a waste of time trying to stop them from jumping

I didn't say anything about jumping.

I did however mention "lighten up" plus "turtle & hare"

Would it not be preferrable to take longer & land a fish than to hook & lose?

What I'm saying works on Cod in the Murray & Southern Impoundments that are notoriously full of timber both horizontal & vertical.

The same works on Trout that will jump over a dozen times trying to free themselves.

Awoonga
06-12-2008, 10:30 AM
The short answer is yes... but other factors are at play...like getting bitten off.. bricked, and many others.... most of the fish that Chris lost where on the jump before you can reduce the pressure you have to know where the fish is hooked and if you are in mostly clear water... go for it

2manylures
06-12-2008, 10:51 AM
The short answer is yes... but other factors are at play...like getting bitten off.. bricked, and many others.... most of the fish that Chris lost where on the jump before you can reduce the pressure you have to know where the fish is hooked and if you are in mostly clear water... go for it

You don't need very much pressure at all to set sharp hooks. Most hookups on ourselves for whatever the reason we do it have been with very little pressure. We've all done it at some point.

The heaviest line I use in dense timber for Murray Cod is 8kg trolling & casting lures. Lately I've been using 6kg.

I only have around 500grams of drag through the rod if that to set hooks. Once the hooks are set & embedded pressure is/can then be applied. I've found less pressure sets hooks much better.

I have never had a fish pull hooks using light pressure but have when trying to bust there balls, not forgetting the damage a big hard hitting fish can do to a rod with a quick "snap-like strike".

It isn't rocket sceince but it is succesful.;D ;D ;D

TinarooTriumph
06-12-2008, 01:45 PM
You don't need very much pressure at all to set sharp hooks

Im sorry to inform you my friend that Cod and Barramundi are extremely different. Setting hooks into a Barramundi is like trying to hammer a nail into a rock... from an angler I know who fishes for cod, setting any hook into a cod is like throwing a treble at butter. Instead of trying to 'help' experienced Barra fishermen, I suggest you stop while your ahead (sort of). Those blokes your talking to know their shit, mate.

Take it from me.

Theo

2manylures
06-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Im sorry to inform you my friend that Cod and Barramundi are extremely different. Setting hooks into a Barramundi is like trying to hammer a nail into a rock... from an angler I know who fishes for cod, setting any hook into a cod is like throwing a treble at butter. Instead of trying to 'help' experienced Barra fishermen, I suggest you stop while your ahead (sort of). Those blokes your talking to know their shit, mate.

Take it from me. & an angler you know

Theo

Yes Theo, you're right. How dare I?

Please have a look at this link and start with 1kg line class.

http://www.gfaa.asn.au/html/1aus_01.htm?section=record&cgi=1aus_01.htm

How could I have got it so wrong?:o :o :o

2manylures
06-12-2008, 02:40 PM
So as not to confuse:
In fish species CLICK BARRAMUNDI.
In State CLICK ALL STATES
In Category CLICK ALL CATEGORIES
In Line Class START by CLICKING 1kg
In Record Category CLICK FRESHWATER.

nipsta
06-12-2008, 02:47 PM
its ok theo he quick to have a dig but dont dare dig back it amazed me that a bloke who has never caught one can even say by reading a link that you should then not loose a fish until you have caught one and perfected it too the level of the taylor boys i say you need to be carefully what you say to these blokes that treasure there barra fishing like the rest of us and have definelty had the experince of catching and loose them like trev said there is always a variable that plays part of the game and also i bet the taylor boys have lost there share of fish over time you just dont here about it .

2manylures
06-12-2008, 03:04 PM
its ok theo he quick to have a dig but dont dare dig back it amazed me that a bloke who has never caught one can even say by reading a link that you should then not loose a fish until you have caught one and perfected it too the level of the taylor boys i say you need to be carefully what you say to these blokes that treasure there barra fishing like the rest of us and have definelty had the experince of catching and loose them like trev said there is always a variable that plays part of the game and also i bet the taylor boys have lost there share of fish over time you just dont here about it .

I put the link in to highlight the fact that you do not need a great deal of pressure to set a sharp hook.

If you have ever fished with 1kg line you would understand what I mean, obviously you haven't & don't

Criticise me all you like, I've got broad shoulders and don't get offended. At least know what you're talking about.

nipsta
06-12-2008, 03:28 PM
I put the link in to highlight the fact that you do not need a great deal of pressure to set a sharp hook.

If you have ever fished with 1kg line you would understand what I mean, obviously you haven't & don't

Criticise me all you like, I've got broad shoulders and don't get offended. At least know what you're talking about.

mate thats funny i caught a few barra have you? so i wonder who has a bit more of and idea on what they fight like. i have also caught cod as well and barra inhale there food and cod bite down on there food so damm there seems to be a bit of a diffence if you ask me and like theo said those blokes know there stuff and have fish for them non stop we all have learnt alot from them so i say they know there stuff and yes i have fished light line and have done ok with it too i dont fish heavy as some for barra but you can set ya hooks all ya like with them but if they take you under a snag a decide they aren't happy with a hook in there mouth setting the hook become irrelevant as when they jump out the hooks can pull as the line locks onto the stick so 1kg line ,20 kg,50 kg it doesn't matter in that type of situation the hooks will pull if hate fish is good enough to pull away
i dont doubt you know what you are talking about but this argument could go on for ever bottom line is its a learn experience every time ya hit the water you never know what there gunner throw at ya . and i never have a criticise anyones idea if they can help me catch a fish im open for suggetstion i think that how you become you improve ya skill so if you have a solution to stoping them throwing hook please give us all that idea you never know when we have something to offer

Dick Pasfield
06-12-2008, 06:28 PM
As a nurse you'd make a wonderful ringer 2manylures, such is the sweet charms of your bedside manner::):smiley:.

However essentially you are correct by saying less pressure can reduce the amount of pulled hooks on a fish, or more correctly too much pressure will pull hooks more often than not.

The thing with barras when they've been hit a few times too many or just moody and they hit the lure with their head or body and the hook up is external to the mouth. All sorts of issues there with cheek scales deflecting a point or only one point of a treble holding on. Here is where you need to be softly softly. It's a matter of knowing they're in that sort of mood early enought to make the adjustments. Hits and misses, boils behind the lure or when you lose contact with your lure for an instant (fish pushes it forward on the on the front of a pressure wave as it turns) are all good signs the girls are feeling a bit contrary.

Here's a pic of a fish that had too much drag applied, it was told not to play too close to the timber, but didn't listen, hence the come hither tactics, the hook held because of what it was.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr4/dickpasfield/2-14.jpg?t=1228551765

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/the%20hook%20held%20because%20of%20what%20it%20was

2manylures
06-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Unfortunately Dick the difference between computers/forums & reality is that we can't see people faces or look into there eyes. 8-)

If it were possible perhaps the bedside manner would be taken differently. Unfortunately we can't & aren't all literary scholars.;D

Trout will do the same as Barra regarding external hooking via face slapping.

I find it rather odd that the percentage of hook ups per fish landed from some anglers here is very low.

This is what sparked my original comment along with another comment of "throwing lures being the norm"

If I put clients onto good trout day after day teaching them a way to fish that sees even 20% of fish throwing lures I would be asking myself some very serious questions. The same with Cod although they don't jump.

I however do not have this problem of fish dislodging hooks.

I'm merely passing onto others what I have experienced & learnt over 4+ decades of angling. You don't need to have caught a particular species to see something isn't quite right, after all there are a lot of species with much harder mouths that take lures & will leap more than Barra. Many of these I have caught.

Some can't see the forrest for the trees & don't want too.:-/ :D

Barry Ehsman
06-12-2008, 07:58 PM
how do we get rid of this ######

Tropicaltrout
06-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I this case mate you have a point and it may be valid but as you said you fish with fairly heavy line as do I when targeting the more larger of the Freshwater speiceis....;)

To fish for Barra with 1kg line for a record yes it can be and you would do it but in a area where the structure is alot less and I can give the fish the authority it deserves and as you will see with the line class goes up so does the weight of the fish:) I tell you now a fish in excess of 20kg in which alot of these fish are comming out of these dams now are :o I very much dobt it. and to tell you the truth I would never think to try it, I would say if you hooked it in the basin and were prepared to fight the fish to the death which is not sport IMHO thats torture to the fish:( and dont forget tothrow in plenty of luck....

Light hook setting are yes some times the best as they seem to result in the corner mouth hook ups yet with a Barra the lighter the hook set the more time he has to regurgitate or exhale the lure or SP which result in a slack line and no joy. So in answer to the scenario light hook setting are away of doing it not the best way but away all the same.;)

As for trout totally different fight one a trout is a far more verosous attacker of the lure or fly. A trout attacking the lure they are on the turn, which is why they are hooked throught there mouths and never really swallow a lure, not ruling it out it will happen on the occassion.Trout have the teeth they hit to imobilise first ( when attacking a Galaxia or other bait etc) you would notice that offten when casting or trolling a lure for trout they offten hit twice before connection. Where fly hook ups are sometimes inhailed mostly those from the surface. So in short yes most trout hook sets are in the mouth area or scissors if you like. They leap out of the water and flip etc but yeah they fight a whole lot different;)

Maybe from looking at a dvd of barra you may think they fight simular but I have caught hundreds of trout and plenty of barra through my years and there's no comparrison in fighting tactics. If you want a simular fish to that of a trout a Saratoga but yeah not a barra at all.

Anyhow thats my go:)

To NAGG mate as said top effort in new water, I seen the prossy thread and yeah it's tuff up there I have fished it and man it's a intimmerdating? body of water...

Cheers Nath

NAGG
06-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Gee ..... I missed a lot of this today! :(
2 Many ....... Go have a fish for impoundment barra before you make any comparison between barra & cod.

The first thing you will learn is that barra inhale / exhale at an incredible speed (0.4 seconds or something) so hookset is reactionary when casting lures ( trolling & baitfishing aside) ........
Their mouths are armour plated (most of us use ultra sharp hooks) ...... & still fail to connect
Those rapid head shakes have the ability to rip multi hooks out of their mouths , jaw or head in a blink of an eye.
Their choice of environment usually sees them close to some form of cover & they know how to use it!

As far as fishing light for barra ........ we cant troll in the ABT:P People like David Green & his young bloke pursue records on ultra light tackle - - but by Trolling !!!!!
I managed a few good barra on the Southern tour on bass gear ....... & trust me you rely as much on luck as you do skill ::) ........... I also was blown away twice

Chris

NAGG
06-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Unfortunately Dick the difference between computers/forums & reality is that we can't see people faces or look into there eyes. 8-)

If it were possible perhaps the bedside manner would be taken differently. Unfortunately we can't & aren't all literary scholars.;D

Trout will do the same as Barra regarding external hooking via face slapping.

I find it rather odd that the percentage of hook ups per fish landed from some anglers here is very low.

This is what sparked my original comment along with another comment of "throwing lures being the norm"

If I put clients onto good trout day after day teaching them a way to fish that sees even 20% of fish throwing lures I would be asking myself some very serious questions. The same with Cod although they don't jump.

I however do not have this problem of fish dislodging hooks.

I'm merely passing onto others what I have experienced & learnt over 4+ decades of angling. You don't need to have caught a particular species to see something isn't quite right, after all there are a lot of species with much harder mouths that take lures & will leap more than Barra. Many of these I have caught.

Some can't see the forrest for the trees & don't want too.:-/ :D

Now having read this ........ I really can see where you are coming from ...... & its not in our world
2 Many ....... I too am a trout fishoe (fly & lure) and to hear your criticism of thrown lures is intriguing - Mate there is no comparison ... dont even use it in the same paragraph! Trout may swipe at a lure (reaction bite) but generally take a fly on the rise with a deliberate take ....... It can seem like slow motion on a dry..... Hinge hook ups are the norm
When a trout jumps ...... & as you would be aware usually only a rainbow trout does ........ there is nothing that can cut the line or leader (unlike a barra that can slice 80lb FC leader)
I can tell you straight up ..... with trout - I would land 80-90% of hooked fish & have never straightened a treble or fly hook! Barra would be 30% of hooked fish & 20-25% of bites ......... worn leaders , straighted hooks & spat lures are par for course:(

So seeing you compare the two , clearly exhibits your lack of knowledge on the subject - sorry but these type of replies disrespect those that enjoy & cherish Australia's premier sport fish

Chris

nipsta
06-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Now having read this ........ I really can see where you are coming from ...... & its not in our world
2 Many ....... I too am a trout fishoe (fly & lure) and to hear your criticism of thrown lures is intriguing - Mate there is no comparison ... dont even use it in the same paragraph! Trout may swipe at a lure (reaction bite) but generally take a fly on the rise with a deliberate take ....... It can seem like slow motion on a dry.
I can tell you straight up ..... with trout - I would land 80-90% of hooked fish & have never straightened a treble or fly hook! Barra would be 30% of hooked fish & 20-25% of bites ......... worn leaders , straighted hooks & spat lures are par for course:(

Chris
well said chris and well done on ya first attemp at a abt you did well for the level of competion and the fishing being as tough as it was cant wait to catch up again

2manylures
07-12-2008, 07:36 PM
2 Many ....... I too am a trout fishoe (fly & lure) and to hear your criticism of thrown lures is intriguing - Mate there is no comparison ... dont even use it in the same paragraph! Trout may swipe at a lure (reaction bite) but generally take a fly on the rise with a deliberate take ....... It can seem like slow motion on a dry..... Hinge hook ups are the norm
When a trout jumps ...... & as you would be aware usually only a rainbow trout does ........ there is nothing that can cut the line or leader (unlike a barra that can slice 80lb FC leader)
I can tell you straight up ..... with trout - I would land 80-90% of hooked fish & have never straightened a treble or fly hook! Barra would be 30% of hooked fish & 20-25% of bites ......... worn leaders , straighted hooks & spat lures are par for course

So seeing you compare the two , clearly exhibits your lack of knowledge on the subject - sorry but these type of replies disrespect those that enjoy & cherish Australia's premier sport fish

Chris

::) ::) ::) Not for the 6 under golfers::) ::) ::)

:-/ :-/ You might get the big picture one day:-/ :-/

:o :o :o NAH, too simple:o :o :o

NAGG
07-12-2008, 08:09 PM

:o :o :o NAH, too simple:o :o :o

Even the 6 under golfers struggle against Tiger Woods

Tropicaltrout
09-12-2008, 06:24 AM

:o :o NAH, too simple:o :o

Come on fella what in the world are you doing you had a go and made your point it got put into comparisson from those who have caught both and you failed to prove your point and were basically proved wrong, just leave it be move on.

This is a great forum set for those who love and enjoy fishing, opinions are made and discussed and questions are asked, If you wanted to make a point start a thread and ask the question that way there's no banter back and throw just a heap of replies hopefully giveing you the answer you want..... or do you have only one answer your own?

Mate there's nothing wrong with voicing your opinion and we all have done it from time to time, I think some of us wern't advocates for the ABT but at the end of the day it's a thing blokes do and report on and regardless of wether we like it or not senceless banter is not going to change anything, its an opinion and if you voice it try doing it with a bit of respect to those who you disagree with.

Why not come along to and M&G they are fun and you can meet all of those fellas and see them and dicuss stuff like this around a campfire with a beer...:) I think Borumba is the next one?

NAGG
09-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Come on fella what in the world are you doing you had a go and made your point it got put into comparisson from those who have caught both and you failed to prove your point and were basically proved wrong, just leave it be move on.

This is a great forum set for those who love and enjoy fishing, opinions are made and discussed and questions are asked, If you wanted to make a point start a thread and ask the question that way there's no banter back and throw just a heap of replies hopefully giveing you the answer you want..... or do you have only one answer your own?

Mate there's nothing wrong with voicing your opinion and we all have done it from time to time, I think some of us wern't advocates for the ABT but at the end of the day it's a thing blokes do and report on and regardless of wether we like it or not senceless banter is not going to change anything, its an opinion and if you voice it try doing it with a bit of respect to those who you disagree with.

Why not come along to and M&G they are fun and you can meet all of those fellas and see them and dicuss stuff like this around a campfire with a beer...:) I think Borumba is the next one?

Nath ...... I cant understand how anyone can project such a strong opinion when they have never caught that species .......... i'm gobsmacked

I'm yet to find anyone that is blase about barra - once they have caught a good one :) mighty Whitey is a great example ...... someone that regularly fishes for Kingfish , marlin & yellowfin tuna - - - but give him the chance to fish for barra & he'll jump at the opportunity........ He wont put one over the other because they all present their own challenges..

Chris

Tropicaltrout
09-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Yeah mate I hear you I fish offshore for a few years on a long liner and caught heaps of those you speak of but I can not shake the barra thing its a feeling all in itself....... anyhow the beauty of this thread is we have caught them... need I say more.

Nath

Whitto
09-12-2008, 07:33 AM
AAAAhhhhhhhh!........The Serenity.....Now off to mow the lawn:(

TinarooTriumph
09-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I too was gobsmacked NAGG with his left-field opinion, so a PM was sent on my behalf, and he seems to have turned into a church mouse since.

NAGG
09-12-2008, 10:58 AM
I too was gobsmacked NAGG with his left-field opinion, so a PM was sent on my behalf, and he seems to have turned into a church mouse since.

I think most of us were gobsmacked ...... defending the undfendable! :-/
I can understand why someone would question the amount of lost / missed barra if they had no experience ......... but as we know - Barra are easily missed (luring) , they throw lures like no bodies business ....... but comparing them to trout::) .......... Now if he said big Saratoga ....... Hmmm

Chris

PS ..... Hows the fishing been ?

NAGG
09-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Yeah mate I hear you I fish offshore for a few years on a long liner and caught heaps of those you speak of but I can not shake the barra thing its a feeling all in itself....... anyhow the beauty of this thread is we have caught them... need I say more.

Nath

Nath ... too right ....... I did the offshore thing too but got over it ( still enjoyed it as an occasional thing....... but trolling or livebaiting is boring as - specially days on end - - - - cubing for YFT was OK)
I certainly dont think I could get sick of those barra ......... & particularly that initial hit on a cast lure:P

Chris

TinarooTriumph
09-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Chriso

Hasn't been too bad of late. The Barra Bash hasn't slowed the fishing down like it has in the past but still a lot of casts to be put in for results. Got quite a few nice fish whilst the Tour was on but since then we have had some very inconsistent weather and tricky winds. Fished with Matt Sunday morning... just rats. He said he got a stack of them on Saturday (9 or 10). You can tell he missed Kim on the Tour... he even pulled the pin at 9:30am to go and help her pack up... the Barra were laughing at him.

Cheers

Theo

nipsta
09-12-2008, 04:18 PM
seems like yous all scared him off i think he must be buy more lures and 1 kg line

NAGG
09-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Chriso

Hasn't been too bad of late. The Barra Bash hasn't slowed the fishing down like it has in the past but still a lot of casts to be put in for results. Got quite a few nice fish whilst the Tour was on but since then we have had some very inconsistent weather and tricky winds. Fished with Matt Sunday morning... just rats. He said he got a stack of them on Saturday (9 or 10). You can tell he missed Kim on the Tour... he even pulled the pin at 9:30am to go and help her pack up... the Barra were laughing at him.

Cheers

Theo

Good to see your getting some Theo.
Yeh I could see Matt was missing Kim ....... I just had to let him be , theres not much you can do.
I reckon that first fish would have been polled into the boat;)

It feels funny ..... taking out the barra gear & replacing it with 4 & 6lb bream & bass gear .......hopefully I'll go for a flick this weekend

cheers

Chris

NAGG
09-12-2008, 04:54 PM
seems like yous all scared him off i think he must be buy more lures and 1 kg line

2 many ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D

Obi _ Wan
09-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Sorry guys i have been away for a while------ Stocking Assoc. xmas parties and most important of all,------Jack fishing ;D

It was my post that started all this rubbish that has occured, mentioning, "Dropped Fish" :o

I feel that Dick Passfield was one who was closest to picking up on the intent of that line 8-)

That is, i was reffering to dropped fished through the present way, in which the fish are only, less than half heartedly striking the lures be they hard bodies or soft plastics, i know that 99% of you will know what i am saying here, that is anyone who has fished for barra. In these circumstances it is very difficult to get a solid hookup that stays hooked up. ;D

I too have fished extensively for trout both in NSW and Tasmania, back in the seventies i held the NSWAFCA records for both brown and rainbow trout, both of these fish actually graced the Front Cover of the Modern Fishing magazine.
During this time i too started to fish with 2lb line (mono) and sure, you can catch them with this gear as long as you have clean water, but i gave it away as i was not happy with what it did to the fish, most were completely exhausted when eventually landed and many did not survive on release. I decided that the 2lb mentallity was a bit of a wank and refused to use any thing under 6lb, both the record fish were caught with 6lb line :o

Back in the 80's while fishing for mackerel (spotties) off Mooloolabah with 20lb main, 45lb trace with 3 5/0 ganged hooks with a pillie all connected to a 650 A3(no drag only the palm of the hand and crook of the elbow) Alvey reel, i hooked a whaler shark that i fought for 5 hours and ended up about 6 klm's from where i hooked it. When the fight was over the shark was dead, when the trace was cut the shark went to the bottom like an elevator, estimated to be between 400 and 450lb. I could not lift my left arm for many hours after that, i was finished too.
Also in my time i too have caught, marlin, sailfish, all types of tuna as well as most other species caught from Darwin through the gulf and down the East coast to Hobart ;D

There is something i can tell you, "THERE IS NOTHING ANYTHING LIKE BARRA" :o

They will chew you up and spit you out, i have seen grown men trembling, to the extent that a brown jocks were the order of the day.

We all know, (that is people that have actually fished and caught barra) that the pressure that a barra can exert when opening its mouth, either to expell a lure or a bony bream that might be a tad to big or in the mouth the wrong way. I have seen 6x VMC trebles straightened irrespective of what line is being used :o

And of course the territory that we are fishing demands how much pressure we put on the fish. I believe that we all know that the timber we see above the water level is only a small portion of just what is beneath the water level, we are aware that if you ease off on the pressure a fish will also ease up.

But when you fish in territory like i do quite often, heavily timbered so much that you could not even follow in a canoe you have to exert as much pressure as can can to try and steer the fish where you need them to be, in fact i quite often try to keep them on the top jumping, i find this tires them out a lot quicker. Sure i lose some fish throwing the lure but i also get a lot of fish. If i did not do this i would not get any fish in these situations. I can also tell you that some hookups are so incredible that the only way to describe it would be to imagine hooking the back of a BDOUBLE flying down the highway, just unstopable.

But remember all this comes from sessions where the barra are striking the lures in a hungary mood not crapping everyone off with their half hearted swipes at the lures. ;D

Once again, guys, sorry to have been the cause of this stupidity and feel the chap would be better off trying to save the impending closure of the Gaden Trout Hatchery.

Cheers,
John.

nipsta
09-12-2008, 06:07 PM
you hit the nail right on the head well said let see a particular reply for this one

Tropicaltrout
09-12-2008, 07:33 PM
You got it John, top stuff. Its amazing isn't it between all of us we have a common link, we have all caught prized fish from 1000lb marlin, broardbill, up to 300kg tuna, a heap of different palegics, 60+lb cod , 15lb trout, brown and rainbows.

Yet we all get the fuzzy gut and nervous twitchin in the fingers when we talk about BARRA. They are a class all of there own no matter the size or location they are just IMHO the pinical Australian Sportfish and I grew up dreaming to one day catching one and to be 3 or so hours from them I am in heaven..

Nath

Obi _ Wan
09-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Yet we all get the fuzzy gut and nervous twitchin in the fingers when we talk about BARRA. They are a class all of there own no matter the size or location they are just IMHO the pinical Australian Sportfish and I grew up dreaming to one day catching one and to be 3 or so hours from them I am in heaven..

Nath

You got it Nath,

I like to refer to Barra as the "Jewel in the Crown of Sportfish"

Cheers,
John.

NAGG
09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
You got it Jas, top stuff. Its amazing isn't it between all of us we have a common link, we have all caught prized fish from 1000lb marlin, broardbill, up to 300kg tuna, a heap of different palegics, 60+lb cod , 15lb trout, brown and rainbows.

Nath

Hopefully thats a bit of tongue in cheek Nath ,,,,,,,, otherwise I need to do some more Marlin , tuna , broadbill & trout fishing ....... never caught a sweetwater cod:(

But those barra...... they are just something else

But I do want a big toga:P

Chris

Pistol_P
09-12-2008, 08:01 PM
You got it Nath,

I like to refer to Barra as the "Jewel in the Crown of Sportfish"

Cheers,
John.

Sounds like you need to come and chase some HUGE GT's.....

Barra are certainly an 'Aussie Iconic sportfish' but as for the 'Jewel in the crown of sportfish'.....That title most certainly belongs to the GT's or Yellowtail kings.

Pete

DEANO68
09-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Hopefully thats a bit of tongue in cheek Nath ,,,,,,,, otherwise I need to do some more Marlin , tuna , broadbill & trout fishing ....... never caught a sweetwater cod:(

But those barra...... they are just something else

But I do want a big toga:P

Chris

big toga cummin your way next year chris, got some info off a mate, also talk to nath he is pretty schooled up on them and the dam also..

NAGG
09-12-2008, 08:19 PM

Barra are certainly an 'Aussie Iconic sportfish' but as for the 'Jewel in the crown of sportfish'.....That title most certainly belongs to the GT's or Yellowtail kings.

Pete

Hey Pete

How have you been

Mate ..... I'm going with John on this .......... I love catching Kings & GTs - but they fall into the pelagic category dont they :-/ ...... Regardless while they both go like trucks , they dont traditionally jump or have the ability to throw lures or slice leader like Mrs Barra .... (yes GTs bite through) ........... both will brick you as a barra will stitch you up
I guess there are many fish that are special & demand respect ....... but nah BARRA for me as they have it all (looks , cunning , acrobatics , size , power ..... accessibility)

Chris

NAGG
09-12-2008, 08:23 PM
big toga cummin your way next year chris, got some info off a mate, also talk to nath he is pretty schooled up on them and the dam also..

Oh I hope so Deano ........ Might have to catch up prior to the Trip (Feb) & talk tactics :P

Chris

DEANO68
09-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh I hope so Deano ........ Might have to catch up prior to the Trip (Feb) & talk tactics :P

Chris

sounds good, you be in brizzo by feb..? we could do a recon mission, have a look.....:o ..

Pistol_P
09-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Hey Pete

How have you been

Mate ..... I'm going with John on this .......... I love catching Kings & GTs - but they fall into the pelagic category dont they :-/ ...... Regardless while they both go like trucks , they dont traditionally jump or have the ability to throw lures or slice leader like Mrs Barra .... (yes GTs bite through) ........... both will brick you as a barra will stitch you up
I guess there are many fish that are special & demand respect ....... but nah BARRA for me as they have it all (looks , cunning , acrobatics , size , power ..... accessibility)

Chris

Hi Mate,

To many factors come into it to talk about it really.....
Depends largely on location....also whether you are landbased or boatbased.
A landbased king of 20kg plus will bring a grown man to his knees....
I was on the receiving end of numerous bust ups on 100lb mono straight through.
Both kings & GT's are just such dirty fighters....Both will slice through leaders in an instant....I hooked one recently in Fiji that spun me around and sliced through a 100lb twisted leader...under 15kg of drag...!!!:o

The boys on Nomad are now fishing 170lb braid to try and stop some of the beasts up at Shoalwater Bay.....The power they have is just unbelievable and the country they reside in isnt friendly.

They are all great fish at the end of the day but for me watching those big black GT's smash a 150g popper is just about as good as it gets.

I can see you love your barra....What about the bream?....you have left them alone for a while....;) ;D

Cheers
Pete

NAGG
09-12-2008, 08:37 PM
sounds good, you be in brizzo by feb..? we could do a recon mission, have a look.....:o ..

Yeh mate ...... i'll be in Brissy by mid Feb ....... Recon sounds good

Chris

NAGG
09-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi Mate,

To many factors come into it to talk about it really.....
Depends largely on location....also whether you are landbased or boatbased.
A landbased king of 20kg plus will bring a grown man to his knees....
I was on the receiving end of numerous bust ups on 100lb mono straight through.
Both kings & GT's are just such dirty fighters....Both will slice through leaders in an instant....I hooked one recently in Fiji that spun me around and sliced through a 100lb twisted leader...under 15kg of drag...!!!:o

The boys on Nomad are now fishing 170lb braid to try and stop some of the beasts up at Shoalwater Bay.....The power they have is just unbelievable and the country they reside in isnt friendly.

They are all great fish at the end of the day but for me watching those big black GT's smash a 150g popper is just about as good as it gets.

I can see you love your barra....What about the bream?....you have left them alone for a while....;) ;D

Cheers
Pete

Yeh pete ...... I know where you are coming from - I got to play with VW size GTs off Madang PNG - no denying their power. Caught some good kings off the stones back in my LBG days ....... but any big fish off the rock is something

As for bream .... yeh I have left them alone ...... probably late August was my last trip....... after that , I prepared for the Sept Mondy muster ...... then got back & prepared for the ABT barra tour

Now ... back to reality , Put my bream gear into the boat tonight & packed away the barra gear . with a little luck I'll have a session this weekend & plan to do a few days between Boxing day & new years at Hawkes nest.:P
Once I'm in Brissy ........ The old breambo might get the flick in favour of Jacks , GTs , Bass , threadfin etc etc etc ...... Oh & then there are those barra:P :P :P

Chris

Dick Pasfield
09-12-2008, 11:17 PM
It was my post that started all this rubbish that has occured, mentioning, "Dropped Fish" :o

I feel that Dick Pasfield was one who was closest to picking up on the intent of that line 8-)

I suspect that many of us cottoned onto your intent Obi_Wan, perhaps I just articulated it before anyone else.

I also think I may have cottoned on to what 2manylures was trying to say, be it unsuccessfully. Unfortunately internet communication is less than perfect at times, depending on the experience and skills of the users. 2manylures did make the following point with respect to that point

Unfortunately Dick the difference between computers/forums & reality is that we can't see people faces or look into there eyes. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/cool.gif

If it were possible perhaps the bedside manner would be taken differently. Unfortunately we can't & aren't all literary scholars.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

We've been communicating all our lives on a 'face to face' basis that utilizes a significant amount of body language to covey a message. Many of us have been doing the internet thing for much less than a decade. Any wonder it can be a struggle at times.

Sometimes the end result is someone retreating from a discussion on one leg because the other one is still jammed in their mouth and not knowing how they can get it out. From this you can get one disgruntled person who has the potential to be a good contributor throwing their hands in the air and opting out.

I'm generalising here so my reference should flow beyond this thread, just felt it was an appropriate place to make mention of it.

Obi _ Wan
09-12-2008, 11:54 PM

Pete

G'Day Pete,

Mate i guess the term "The Jewel in The Crown of Sportfish" could go to any species depending on each fisherman's point of view and what they have archived in the past.
Over the years i would say that i personally would have given that title to quite a number of different species.
However at the present time, that title for me, remains with the Majestic Barra.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's i used to drag a boat down to Currawong, near Jervis Bay and jig with metal slices, coffins etc with a Seascape reel. We used to dodge the pro's who used to troll with lead lines for Yellowtail Kings out on the Banks. And there were some huge mothers mixed up with them. One year an uncle of mine caught a 200lb yellowfin tuna with a 45lb handline down there.
A mate and myself caught 106 yellowtail Kings in a comp off Toowoon Bay one day, fish to about 40lb.
So mate, sorry i'm over the kings, and sure they are a dirty fighter but to me they don't have the mystic of the barra.

On the GT's i have also caught those but the best would only be around 30lb and that was up in The English Company Islands, North of Gove in the NT. You would not believe the number of trevally species that turn up in that area, the biggest problem was sharks, if the fight went to long you only got a head.
My son and i have been catching Gt's down here in the Pine River but only to about 2kg's, still they go hard on light gear and are a lot of fun, by the way next time you run into Brandon when he is up at Noosa tell him you have been chatting to his old man LOL.

Pete good to match thoughts and notes on our favourite species.

On the braid size, some guys are now using 80lb at Faust, they are saying that they are not getting wiped out as much when the barra run through the sticks.

I guess you know that there are some horse GT's up around the Whitsundays.

Good fishing mate.

Cheers,
John.

Pistol_P
10-12-2008, 11:53 AM
G'Day Pete,

Mate i guess the term "The Jewel in The Crown of Sportfish" could go to any species depending on each fisherman's point of view and what they have archived in the past.
Over the years i would say that i personally would have given that title to quite a number of different species.
However at the present time, that title for me, remains with the Majestic Barra.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's i used to drag a boat down to Currawong, near Jervis Bay and jig with metal slices, coffins etc with a Seascape reel. We used to dodge the pro's who used to troll with lead lines for Yellowtail Kings out on the Banks. And there were some huge mothers mixed up with them. One year an uncle of mine caught a 200lb yellowfin tuna with a 45lb handline down there.
A mate and myself caught 106 yellowtail Kings in a comp off Toowoon Bay one day, fish to about 40lb.
So mate, sorry i'm over the kings, and sure they are a dirty fighter but to me they don't have the mystic of the barra.

On the GT's i have also caught those but the best would only be around 30lb and that was up in The English Company Islands, North of Gove in the NT. You would not believe the number of trevally species that turn up in that area, the biggest problem was sharks, if the fight went to long you only got a head.
My son and i have been catching Gt's down here in the Pine River but only to about 2kg's, still they go hard on light gear and are a lot of fun, by the way next time you run into Brandon when he is up at Noosa tell him you have been chatting to his old man LOL.

Pete good to match thoughts and notes on our favourite species.

On the braid size, some guys are now using 80lb at Faust, they are saying that they are not getting wiped out as much when the barra run through the sticks.

I guess you know that there are some horse GT's up around the Whitsundays.

Good fishing mate.

Cheers,
John.

Cheers John,
I might have to get the dogfight up to faust...;D ;D
Yes I have been dusted by soem BIG GT's up in the whitsundays.
I think its better to talk 'styles' of fishing.
Lure throwing in general is great fun...Throwing lures at barra,Popping for GT's and I have been loving the sight casting at tuna form the rocks recently.

Are you Brandons Dad..??.....Great fella Brandon.8-)

Cheers
Pete

Obi _ Wan
11-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi Pete,

Mate Faust is a magic place when it's firing but it plays with your head at times, never the less it's a top destination for travelling barra hunters.

You are right, chucking lures for anything, is absolutely in No.1 place, it rocks mate no matter what the target species is.

Brandon and i spent 5 hours down in our local drain chucking lures for Jacks last Friday for no result but still very satisfying and yes i am responsible for him lol.

Cheers,

John.