PDA

View Full Version : weight of haines 565l

ped cairns
04-12-2008, 09:37 PM
i snuck onto the local dump weigh bridge today to weigh the 565l and was shocked to read 1.92ton without a lot of gear on board fuel but no eski or seats etc i do have a solid aluminium canopy and a heavy pod and 140hp 4stroke
i am hoping it is not a correct reading
considering the car rodeo 4wd is only rated to tow 1800 and trailer 2ton as it does not have break away brakes fitted do you guys think it is a correct reading or not
Has anyone weighed theirs and what did it come in at.

FNQCairns
04-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Hey i know that place it's the "will not stink with this new technology, we promise" stinky place:)

Did you disconnect to weigh it? if you did then the 100+ odd kg of towball weight when hitched might see you closer and possibly even just legal if you travel without much at all in the boat ie fuel etc??

Still a right tightrope act:(

cheers fnq

ped cairns
04-12-2008, 10:07 PM
yep totally un hitched correct reading but hoping faulty bridge
i rang tonkins no one is operating there old one and might ring transport dept to see if another one available tomorrow.
i knew i was losing eyesight and hearing but cant recall smell today maybe thats gone too.
on another note
i got the sleeve from newcastle sent it up urgent with australia post still waiting to arrive 4days beautiful up here in paradise.

ped

FNQCairns
04-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Will be interesting to hear what you turn up as I have been inclined to throw mine over it just for kicks, I am under but it's good to know for sure how much. I would be inclined to believe it to +-5% still that's too loose for you.

post is slow to and from us, get stuff to us here faster from international than from NSW::)

Yeah it's been very nice lately.

cheers fnq

Pazz01
05-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Hey ped,

We've for a 635L, with a 2 stroke 200 on it. We got pulled over on the way to the ramp one morning a fair while back when they had a biltz on tieing down your boat and they put the old girl on the scales.

Fully loaded with 220L of fuel on the tinker trailer was a 2050kg from memory. We don't have electric brakes or anything and it was being towed by a cruiser. I think you need electric brakes once they go over 2 tonne i think (don't quote me on that). The DPI bloke just said to watch the weight like if we are going to take excessive gear in the boat not to overload it too much. And he let us go.

But he did give us a ticket for not having the boat tied down. Not a good start to the day at 5am in the morning.

Pazz

megafish71
05-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Try ringing the CEC quarry at Edmonton to use their weighbridge, I used it to weigh my trailer, just had to wait a few minutes for some trucks to be weighed. I intend on weighing mine there again, when the boat is all fitted up.

Cheers Ron

camer1
05-12-2008, 10:43 AM
I used to have a 565L (great Boat by the way). It weighed over two tonne every time I weighed it including being empty of gear fuel etc. Replaced the transom after a while and found the glass to be extremely thick up to an inch in places, thicker than a Blackwatch. Easier to understand the weight after seeing this. Explains there ability on the water too.

Vitamin Sea
05-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Hey ped,

. I think you need electric brakes once they go over 2 tonne i think (don't quote me on that). Pazz

Yeh, you are correct with that, over 2 t you require an electric break away system.

Cheers

VS

ped cairns
05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks Ron I rang maitland road quarry 0408777860 try to go in tomorrow thanks for that

Pazz was that Deeral ramp as i have heard they are there with hand held radar and pull boaties over for extra revenue or the ones in town

FNQ i read your post again do you mean the scallies weigh car boat together then car seperate and take car weight off total ;D doesnt seem right but if so i have 130kg on tow bar now i could increase this to 190kg as tailers trailers said to go to 10% of trailer weight and also lose some from boat should be able to come under 1800kg i will be a lot happier towing to cardwell christmas that way just from servo to ramp over limit and hopefully home with a full eski [ha ha]

Thanks Ped

Tri N Hard
05-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Sounds a bit heavy i think the 565l hull weighs around 700kg plus about 220kg for motor a few hundred for the trailer i think more like around 1200kg empty 1400kg to 1500kg loaded.

FNQCairns
05-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Ped, I understand they weight the trailer at the trailer wheels so the car will continue to support the drawbar weight, someone may know better but that's my understanding so I guess under this design you do have some leeway if you pack the car well with boat stuff and as you say tow with an empty fuel tank.

Mate put all those fish in the car too for the trip back or you will be way over no matter what weighbridge you visit!;D.

The 10% thing is a rule of thumb, your car/tow pack will have a rating as will the car have a tare, sure if you juggle the numbers and placement of stuff you will be legal barely but still legal.

cheers fnq

legless
05-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Do you find the 140 a little under power for this type of vessel? Most 565 would go a 200 hp outboard. What does your trailor plate read... trailer mass etc. You could find that if it is at 1900kg and your at 2100kg well your trailer could be ilegal as well... got to love rules just make your day

ped cairns
06-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Legless

i sit on 4000revs doing 20kn which i think is perfect for this motor revs and speed can sit on 25kn but motor gets a tad louder and a little airbourne on the occasional wave at 20kn you can sit ya stubbie on dash and not spill any
i think it is just big enough as we dont have any bars and having never crossed one i dont even like the thought so i dont need that big turn of speed, i have a 19 stainless prop solas which amazed me thought i would need 17 but apparently suzuki's spin a bigger prop, although i notice if i forget to trim motor back in it slips a lot easier than any other motor i have had so i guess it is right on limit of size for this boat and it doesnt seem to make any difference 2 or 5 guys fishing

i cant see why anyone would try to ski behind one of these except maybe tow a kid on tube once a year and it would do this easy as far as hole shot i usally spend 10/15 min warm up in 6kn zone then sit on 4ooo for 1 hour or 1.5 then back off and find fish cant see the need for bullet like holeshot performance from a fish boat but its not bad either
but having raved on with that i am looking to get 150or 175 in 2 or 3 years should be able to sit on 3.5 or less in comfort

ped