PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium question about natives

Hairy_Harold
04-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm sure at least one of you have a tank with native fish and this was the closest place I thought to where i'd get an answer. Am I right in presuming that it's illegal to take undersize native fish from the wild for aquarium purposes? How about for legal size fish is this alright?

I am setting up a tank at the moment and was wanting it to home some aussie bass but was thinking the smaller the better as they would be less agressive (from what I have read). Ha am going to home some gold fish first then let the bass run rampant on there asses. Any one ever tried feeding there fish geckos? Mum hates the pricks and tries to kill em with bug spray was thinking if I could catch em would be a great source of food.

Jeremy87
04-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Same rules apply even if you don't intend on killing them, you should be able to pick up bass fingerlings from pet shops for well under 10 bucks each. i have 4 bass 3 just under 20cm and 1 over 40 and i feed them meal worms that i buy from a the pet shop and earth worms that i dig up from my compost heap. I also have feeder gudgeons living in with them. The big bass loves mole crickets.

Jeremy87
04-12-2008, 03:58 PM
double up.

cammo79
04-12-2008, 03:58 PM
yes its illegal to take undersize fish for any purpose, legal size is fine however sometimes large wild caught fish dont respond well to being put in a tank. There are plenty of shops who sell bass,barra and other natives for quite cheap.

My jack just about eats everything, if it moves its gone, in the wild fish eat frogs, lizards etc so in your tank as long as it wasnt killed by fly spray it will be fine.

cam

Hairy_Harold
04-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Yep just as I thought, just thought i'd ask anyway, tank is a 4x1.5x1.5' tank. Will be building a bucket canister filter for it and having an internal submerged pump inside that. Brother is bending me up some nice grained 15x15mm stainless angle to silicone over all the edges/seams as some corners are chipped and want the extra peace of mind and for looks.

rhycebullimore
04-12-2008, 04:12 PM
my large jack is the same. if its moving he wants it...a mate feed geckos to his jungle perch.