PDA

View Full Version : difference in fishing plastics compare to hardbody lures

nufin_flash
04-12-2008, 01:47 PM
hey guys

trying to crack my first fish using a hardbody lure without much luck at all. I normaly fish plastics and have no problems catching bream on them but cant bring it across to hb lures.

whats the big difference in fishing styles from a plastic to a lure ?

i'm targetting bream around jetties in the canal systems

kevvie
04-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Mate i dont fish your local waterway but down south i made the switch to HB's from plastix.

I gues the aggrevated twitch is the best retrieve method. Its a subtle rod tip twitch during a slow constant retrieve. It just imparts a sublte speed and movement change that triggers the bream to bite.

Also i swipe s-factor on my hb's too. I usually dont fish my hb's n water over 5ft.

Hope this helps a little:)

nuggstar
04-12-2008, 04:46 PM
try insted of working the jettys, work the open spots inbetween them and hard up in the shallows, get a shallow running lure for this, and just wind it in slow, you wont realy need to twitch where your fishing mate, they will hit it if in the mood. the s factor is a good tip, i do that to. you will find you will get lots of flattys and whiting and toad fish as well as the bream fishing like this. use new owner or decoy hooks and you will get them just wind slow and keep all ya body movements to a minimum and even crouch down and keep low so ya dont spook em. work the rizing tide;D

rhycebullimore
04-12-2008, 04:49 PM
as for all species don't be afraid to let your lures sit dead stil up to a minute sometimes as fish will eat it right off the top even after it has been motionless for sometime.

RAT-KING
04-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Hey Flash

personally the advantage with plasitics is u fish the area u cast because it sinks straight away, and hard bodies it takes a while to get down to the depth where the fish r holding (depending on type of lure, fish and location) and ur depth is very limited, I haven't done that well with the plastics! but my suggestion if u wanna fish hardbodies try little switch blades and other vibes, They're my weapon of choice!
Cheers Simon

tunaticer
04-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Some locations have particular retrieve styles that outshine other retrieves. One of my fav bream haunts works best with Attack lures on a steady slow retrieve working the flowthroughs between the reefs. Give it a pause and they lose interest.

Two best lures that have accounted for nigh on 300 bream for me have been either Baby Attacks or Baby Merlins. Both run to about a metre under the surface and are perfect for light spin gear.

nufin_flash
05-12-2008, 08:04 AM
try insted of working the jettys, work the open spots inbetween them and hard up in the shallows,

thanks nuggstar , id never thought about working in between jettys , might get the yak out this weekend and not take the plastics that way i cant do a half hearted effort and go back to plastics, lol

cheers

Nico.d.R
05-12-2008, 04:08 PM
i have the same thing , i can get them on sp's but have trouble trying to get one on a sx40 or other HB , try the eco gear px45f its a little surface lure that works really well at noosa , i have not givin them ago around here yet (this weekend) , but we cleaned up with them last weekend .
(stinkin bream ;D )

cheers nico

the gecko
06-12-2008, 08:00 AM
What HBs have you been using?

The size of the lure is important, so for bream, keep it small. I find the sx40s work well. I also cast them at open areas, where the shore drops off from 1ft to 6ft. I give em a hard rip, long pause, then a slow rip, long pause, etc and vary the retrieve.

Stay a good 30ft away, so you dont spook em, so casting downwind is important with small lures.

cheers
Andrew

nuggstar
07-12-2008, 10:52 AM
yer in wher you live, get a px 45 or a towadi, lurn to walk it and you will out fish joel with his stinken turtle back worms hehehe

nufin_flash
08-12-2008, 10:28 AM
hehe, gave it a go on sat arvo , didnt get anything but only had about an hr or so on the water as didnt wanna be near the water when the storm came over. think that might of had an effect on the fish though , hehe

will have to give it a proper go next time, hehe