PDA

View Full Version : Southwind SF17

Tinshack
04-12-2008, 06:35 AM
Hello all, first time on Ausfish so here we go. I am looking for any comments on Southwind SF17 boat as follows;

How they ride in 10-15knot winds & 1.2m swell, head on & trailing sea.
How are they constructed, timber stringers/transom or are they foam sandwich construction?
Performance, speed @ WOT, cruising speed at what rpm's?
Fuel economy,
Market price.Any comments appreciated. Cheers, David.8-)

thelump
04-12-2008, 07:51 AM
A mate of mine has one with a 115 yamaha 2 stroke on it and it flies. It would go Ok with a 90 in my opinion. The driving position is a bit unerving. You feel like you are nearly falling over the bow. And had pretty low freeboard which wouldn't be great for kids. I went out off evans head in it (approx 20km) and it blew up quite bad for the return trip. It made it back alright although it was uncomfortable and quite scary at times. Dont know about economy it depends on what motor it has on.

Tinshack
04-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Was that the long boat version or the walk through cabin type you are talking about? I am interested in the cuddy walk through cab type. The one that I have looked at had high internal sides approx. 70-80 cm. Was it uncomfortable because you were up the front? Cheers.

Hi Tinshack

I own a SF565 (later version of the SF17 - exactly the same though) and it is a pretty good boat for estuary and close offshore work - I have used it off Fraser many times, and regularly off the GC and Mooloolaba. It is a "small" 5.65m and as mentioned above the helm is quite forward in the hull rake. I find free-board quite deep. They are well made and ok fitted out. I have a 115 Yammy 2 stroke and the boat performs well with it (I would be reluctant to go down to a 90). The 115 pulls it up on the plane quickly and is responsive offshore. Ride is reasonable is chop, better when quarter on to the sea and rides well in a following sea. The hull is very susceptible to motor trim. I have had mine at 74km/h WOT at 5850RPM trimmed right out. Best performs at about 4500-4800 rpm for about 45km/h. At that speed I get about 1.0-1.5 km per litre, but I bop the throttle and "drive" the boat for offshore conditions. My only pain is it is a hard boat to get into when both on the trailer or in the water and needs a ladder on the back. Very happy with my SF though

Cheers

A

Tinshack
04-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Hi Age, thks for the reply. Do you know if the Southwinds have timber stringers & transom? Cheers,

Hi again Tinshack

Not sure about stringers, but definately timber in the transom as I have drilled through mine to pass some plumbing etc

Cheers

A

skippa
05-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi TS,

Mate I have the SR17 version and found it a very honest rig. I owned a Haines (V17R) before this one, and the Southwind rides and handles just as good, if not better. She is a tad wider than the Haines, so she sits better in the water while not sacraficing the ride head on or trailing. But just remember its still only a 17footer.

Mine is used for fishing and general running around (Moreton Bay and offshore Goldie/Sunny coasts) and has the 115 2 stroke Yammie. For my use I wouldn't recomend going down to the 90, especially if your crossing bars or need extra grunt. She cruises sweet at 4000RPM @ 30MPH and ave fuel use of 1 mile per litre (if it was a car you'd shoot it)

Price wise on boatpoint they vary from high 20k to high teens depending on condition, electronics, age etc but its a buyers market today.

I've found her to be a safe seaworthy rig and I've been out in (unfortunately) some pretty ordinary conditions; never felt we where out of our depth (excuse the pun) and always got home safe.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)