PDA

View Full Version : Pre ABT

NAGG
02-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi All

Just sitting here is sunny Brisbane prior to driving home tomorrow ....... So I've decided to put together a brief ( as far as a nagg report goes) of our week prior to the start of the ABT

After a uneventful drive from Sydney to Brisbane & a few days of work ..... I picked Matt up from the airport & after stocking up with some supplies .... off we went to our first stop over (Monduran)
A quick stop over at Foxies & we were setting up camp ... by mid afternoon. Now with no prompting off Matt & I went for a bit of a look at Mondy ........ no fish but a bit of a sighter ........... Followed by a few beers & fire with fellow Ausfishers............ & another late night which included some Rocket fuel provided Dave (Callop):drunk:
The next day ...... Matt & I looked around a bit & fished some previously successful areas ........ & accept for a couple of missed bites & a mid 80s 39110 that I managed on a 4" Storm shad - bugger all We just made it back & the heavens opened up & ruined what was going to be an enjoyable social evening ........:vrolijk_1: one huge dump of rain that forced many from their swags!!!

Sunday proved uneventful ..... though we spent little time actually fishing.......... A preview of what was to come :(

Monday we moved on to Awoonga & had a bit of a look around some of the northern points ......... Matt lost a decent fish boatside - - lots of expletives:furious2: then quiet - It was here that during a surface session in New Zealand gully ......... I've done my best NAV & VIN impersonation & cast my Certate combo into the drink ........ In shock:o ... after a brief hesitation ...... I do a JAS & in I go - saving the combo ...... phew Matt laughing his head off does what anyone would do ....... 39111grabs the camera (Thanks Mate)
I managed a mid 80s fish39112 ...... but things were quiet
The next day we fished an area were I caught my 100cm fish back in Sept ..... Matt lost a good fish that buried him on the lantana & I pull the hooks shortly after ....... Moving on Matt spots what he was looking for & we managed several fish with Matt landing 3 or 4 39113(60-80cm) including 1 fella that wrapped around the leccy ........... & with Matt on the control - he managed to spool himself on the prop::) ......... however to his credit he managed to handline the feisty fish
Thursday morning ....saw us quickly packed for our next Destination (Teemburra) & the start of the ABT ............. On the water for a late afternoon fish Matt lands a couple of little fellas in a small creek that I had named the nursery from a previous trip. Into the night we fished a little grass Island that saw several fish landed in the 70- mid 80s mark39114 (I managed 3 in quick succession on storm shads ..... & lost a big thumping hit) .. just what we needed for the ABT
The next day ...... Official prefish saw me loose a good 90cm fish that hooked up at close quarters in the timber ... 2 big jumps ( with nowhere to go ....... The fish darted under the boat & embedded the scorpion into a tree) ......... A good prefish & we were confident of a reasonable result in the Teemburra event which was starting the following evening

Several brews & a good meal ......... we were set 8-)

To be continued

Nagg

BR65
02-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Waiting.........................

TonyM
02-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Great stuff Chris!

From what I've heard conditions were tough for the comp, I look forwards to reading the rest of your report. Tough conditions or not I'm sure it would have been a blast doing the tour, sounds like you did alright for a "newbie" ;D

Bummer about chucking the Certate outfit overboard, although 10/10 for the recovery! I just wish I'd had the same luck when my first Certate went over the rail (Roo knows how I felt) :'(

Like Brian said though... c'mon people are waiting!

Cheers
Tony

BR65
02-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Yeah, hurry up mate, Ive been hanging for this report for what, nearly a month now!;D

NAGG
02-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Sorry Brian & Tony ........ I've got to work out how to downsize my photos off my new camera + the internet speed in the hotel is slow as!

So you just have to hang out a little longer ::)

Chris

NAGG
02-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Great stuff Chris!

From what I've heard conditions were tough for the comp, I look forwards to reading the rest of your report. Tough conditions or not I'm sure it would have been a blast doing the tour, sounds like you did alright for a "newbie" ;D

Bummer about chucking the Certate outfit overboard, although 10/10 for the recovery! I just wish I'd had the same luck when my first Certate went over the rail (Roo knows how I felt) :'(

Like Brian said though... c'mon people are waiting!

Cheers
Tony

Yes Tony conditions were tough ........ but I wonder if a lot of it was fishing pressure:-/
very happy with the result ..... & well worth doing the tour

Chris

rc@hinze
02-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Great to hear from you Nagg. Have been looking forward to you logging back on and giving us some details of your trips. Keen to hear the rest of your report and see the photos. It must have been a great experience for you. What was the main thing you took from it? Was it like you expected?- cheers Richard

NAGG
02-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Great to hear from you Nagg. Have been looking forward to you logging back on and giving us some details of your trips. Keen to hear the rest of your report and see the photos. It must have been a great experience for you. What was the main thing you took from it? Was it like you expected?- cheers Richard

Hi Richard

Mate ... I was initially overawed by it all - big names , flash boats etc etc
Having Matt as my partner gave me a bit of confidence though.
Once we got through the northern rounds , I relaxed a bit more & started to do my thing ..... rather than doing what you think should be done - & it worked for me.
So I guess I got more out of it ...... because I never set myself over ambitious goals...... After all , I'm still a relative newbie to impoundment barra

Chris

eotbmg
02-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Hurry up and get out of the hotel room, and give us some more

NAGG
02-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Hurry up and get out of the hotel room, and give us some more

All good things come to those that wait ;D

Whitto
03-12-2008, 06:22 AM
Im pleased Chris to see u practicing Slip Slop Slap in what appears to be mid recovery of the offending combo.....A marvelous example for our youngsters who may stumble across this thread;D

Tropicaltrout
03-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Yeah Chris well done there mate we saw your car a couple of times once deano and myself staggered back from Masa late saturday nightwhile there was a down poor... Other then that passed you I think around the cattle yard.

Never mind will catch ya next time well done on the ABT result mate top effort are there any plans for doing the next one?

Nath

Awoonga
03-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Cant wait for the story on Mondy....did someone say meter + on bass gear

NAGG
03-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah Chris well done there mate we saw your car a couple of times once deano and myself staggered back from Masa late saturday nightwhile there was a down poor... Other then that passed you I think around the cattle yard.

Never mind will catch ya next time well done on the ABT result mate top effort are there any plans for doing the next one?

Nath

Thanks Nath

We wanted to catch up ...... to the point of coming back at a reasonable hour - then the heavens opened up ...... killing off the festivities.

On next years tour ...... I'll be up for it , as long as it stays a teams event rather than a boater / non boater situation

Chris

NAGG
03-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Cant wait for the story on Mondy....did someone say meter + on bass gear

.................:curtain:

Obi _ Wan
05-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Good stuff Chris, another well written report.

Looks like you had a bloody good pre fish mate.

Bass gear???? get rid of that curtain, we want to know?????

I'll tell you a storey one day about another bloke who went for a swim to regain gear lost over the side, and wasn't me!!

Cheers,
John.

NAGG
05-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Good stuff Chris, another well written report.

Looks like you had a bloody good pre fish mate.

Bass gear???? get rid of that curtain, we want to know?????

I'll tell you a storey one day about another bloke who went for a swim to regain gear lost over the side, and wasn't me!!

Cheers,
John.

Thanks John

We did have a good prefish ..... tangling with above average Teemburra barra!

Bass gear :rolleyes:

Chris